• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

On 11/23/2017 at 6:05 AM, Indio said:

I think they're still picking their jaws off the floor!!!B)

It seems to me that you guys are spending a lot of time talking out of your ass...I don't spend a lot of time in the AC forums, but I feel a certain connection to this thread.

I know for a fact that NYYC was meeting with Botin and planning on foiling monohulls as early as September, prior to any announcement.  Knowing some of the people involved, these are people that do their homework and aren't interested in fucking around or catching up.  There's certainly going to be a learning curve for every team, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out for every syndicate, but I wouldn't count anyone out just yet.

The 52 Super Series may not be the best trainer for the next AC Class, but it's a great marketing tool and an important stepping stone to building the right team.

4 minutes ago, RumLine said:

I know for a fact that NYYC was meeting with Botin and planning on foiling monohulls as early as September, prior to any announcement.  Knowing some of the people involved, these are people that do their homework and aren't interested in fucking around or catching up.  There's certainly going to be a learning curve for every team, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out for every syndicate, but I wouldn't count anyone out just yet.

Noted, thanks

49 minutes ago, RumLine said:

It seems to me that you guys are spending a lot of time talking out of your ass...I don't spend a lot of time in the AC forums, but I feel a certain connection to this thread.

The 52 Super Series may not be the best trainer for the next AC Class, but it's a great marketing tool and an important stepping stone to building the right team.

Welcome to your nightmare - SAAC.

14 hours ago, 2Newts said:

"There will be work to do in the sailing team too. Hutchinson and his crewmates will do training camps in the Moth, a one-man hydroplaning dinghy, to learn the art of foiling."

OK, so, the NYYC team is learning how to foil. Meanwhile the ENTZ team has already done it REALLY WELL for two cup cycles based in part on LR experience and technology and even crash-em-up Ben has some hard earned experience in boats WAY bigger and more complex than Moths. 

There is no way the NYYC team becomes competitive to win if this is the starting point. 

Not a "starting point", a part of the whole. More than a few AC sailors have incorporated Mothism into their programmes, including some guy called Burling http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11897022

9 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Not a "starting point", a part of the whole.

That's not what he said. He said, quite clearly, that the team will be doing training camps to learn the art of foiling. He could have used other words. He could have said "we will be sailing Moths intensively to keep our skills sharp and learn new techniques." But he didn't. 

He said his team is going to learn the art of foiling. 

That may have been a slip of the tongue, or it may be mis-reported. But it certainly implies that his team is FAR FAR FAR behind all three of the of the other teams in terms of knowing what makes a large, crewed, fully-foiling machine go faster and higher than another similar large, crewed, fully-foiling machine. 

15 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Funny, there was a quote in a German article by Carsten Kemmling recently that I may not have posted, where he quoted John Boyd (Seahorse Magazine) saying about the AC75:

’It looks like it is about to come out of the water, crawl up the beach and lay eggs.’

Yeah laugh it up - hey and do you remember the fun everyone had with those fake photos when ETNZ tried to con the world that they had an AC72 completely airborn in Auckland - OMG, those jokers eh.....

Love this team but who is going to beat ETNZ at their own game? Not a contest until someone at NYYC starts lose some serious sleep rather than worry about their pay cheque.!

46 minutes ago, 2Newts said:

That's not what he said. He said, quite clearly, that the team will be doing training camps to learn the art of foiling. He could have used other words. He could have said "we will be sailing Moths intensively to keep our skills sharp and learn new techniques." But he didn't. 

He said his team is going to learn the art of foiling. 

That may have been a slip of the tongue, or it may be mis-reported. But it certainly implies that his team is FAR FAR FAR behind all three of the of the other teams in terms of knowing what makes a large, crewed, fully-foiling machine go faster and higher than another similar large, crewed, fully-foiling machine. 

Well, if anything TH's consistent: remember how he went to an A-Class training camp to learn cat sailing at the onset of AC34?

On 10/29/2017 at 2:54 PM, ~Stingray~ said:

JD Power is all about surveying the customer. RepairPal (full disclosure: I work there) uses repair data. Results are pretty similar, but RP has more data and detail. https://repairpal.com/reliability

Was this the meandering thread where TC has posted some ‘other’ kinds of flying? Anyway, nice one here - cool venue scenery too, I climbed Table Mountain a few times some years back, it’s gorgeous.

• Like 1

Mr. Fauth and Terry spoke at the NYYC annual meeting last night, reported lots of progress, still lots more to do but very encouraging.  Overall concept is “win and defend,” meaning create a multi-generational team that both wins the current edition and seamlessly rolls in to defending the next.  Some very exciting announcements coming up that will broaden the team and its base of support.  Club is all-in and I think the team will soon start attracting support from the broader US sailing community.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Annapolis 105er said:

I think the team will soon start attracting support from the broader US sailing community.  

Only if it ain't a kiwi fest aboard

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Only if it ain't a kiwi fest aboard

Totally agree!

It really wasn't that long ago an all USA team could/did work

Dawn Riley comments on the recent partnership with Bella Mente Quantum Racing in which they will draw from Oakcliff's pool or trained talent to fill positions on the team.