2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

If they have a large enough container and are able to properly secure the boat, no need to disassemble it.  That will save them a few days of prep.  

Will they need to disassemble it for the road/barge trip from the container wharf to the compound?  

36 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

Will they need to disassemble it for the road/barge trip from the container wharf to the compound?  

Just crane it off the ship into the tide and tow to base that is if you have one.

• Like 1

Just use the ship as the base, anchor it out in the harbor and they're nicely isolated.

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Just crane it off the ship into the tide and tow to base that is if you have one.

And assume it's structurally sound following transport. Surely flat barge to Viaduct(?).  

12 hours ago, See Level said:

Just use the ship as the base, anchor it out in the harbor and they're nicely isolated.

Might work for AM, but not for INEOS: what happens when BA swims over to the TV boat and assails the cameraman?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Might work for AM, but not for INEOS: what happens when BA swims over to the TV boat and assails the cameraman?

They will smack his hand and tell him not to do it again.

5 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

They will smack his hand and tell him not to do it again.

And spend yet another small fortune having the evidence scrubbed from the internet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

Sailing: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern puts brakes on America's Cup challengers' hopes 

Sailing: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern puts brakes on America's Cup challengers' hopes

Heh...

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has put the brakes on claims America's Cup challengers' foreign personnel could be allowed into New Zealand within days - casting renewed doubt on the future of the event, set for March next year.

Who are the "drama queens" again? Sometimes I get tired of being right all the time.

4 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Heh...

Who are the "drama queens" again? Sometimes I get tired of being right all the time.

First rule of politics, Smack. "Be seen to be doing the right thing."

4 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

You're wasting your time there mate ;-)

On 6/3/2020 at 11:18 AM, FinnFish said:

And assume it's structurally sound following transport. Surely flat barge to Viaduct(?).  

A flat barge to transport a slightly rounded barge - makes sense...

46 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Oh I know. Of course, if I said that about your PM (whom I actually respect quite a bit) - I think there might be some whiny consternation expressed by a few around here.

And by the way, do these chuckleheads really think they have the right to tell you or anyone else what to post and when? I really don't get that.

2 hours ago, fish7yu said:

This is a non-issue.  All she said is that it has not been approved yet.  Of course not, the paperwork and process has not yet been completed.  She just said it has to go through the proper channels and that only about 10% make it through the process.  It is not like we are talking about a me sending in an exception application, of course I would be in the 90% that is not recommended for consideration.  The MBIE knows the AC teams are a special situation and of course will recommend them for entry as long as they follow the requirements.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

This is a non-issue.  All she said is that it has not been approved yet.  Of course not, the paperwork and process has not yet been completed.  She just said it has to go through the proper channels and that only about 10% make it through the process.  It is not like we are talking about a me sending in an exception application, of course I would be in the 90% that is not recommended for consideration.  The MBIE knows the AC teams are a special situation and of course will recommend them for entry as long as they follow the requirements.

Depends if they meet the handful of criteria. Certainly doesn’t sound like they’ll be here and out sailing in July. My guess is, probably closer to September, which was the original date. They’ve been in contact with all teams so wouldn’t be surprised if the CoR has told them there is no rush in issuing exemptions as they aren’t looking to be here till October anyway and to issue the exemptions together as opposed to separately.

50 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Depends if they meet the handful of criteria. Certainly doesn’t sound like they’ll be here and out sailing in July. My guess is, probably closer to September, which was the original date. They’ve been in contact with all teams so wouldn’t be surprised if the CoR has told them there is no rush in issuing exemptions as they aren’t looking to be here till October anyway and to issue the exemptions together as opposed to separately.

Is the same government that apparently won't talk to RNZYC or ETNZ? Apparently it's happy to make arrangements with one foreign sailing team on behalf of a bunch of other foreign sailing teams without talking to them.

28 minutes ago, RobG said:

Is the same government that apparently won't talk to RNZYC or ETNZ? Apparently it's happy to make arrangements with one foreign sailing team on behalf of a bunch of other foreign sailing teams without talking to them.

As far as ETNZ is concerned, they only need one other Challenger to contest the AC. As for LR, They are in charge and “represent” all challengers.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

As far as ETNZ is concerned, they only need one other Challenger to contest the AC. As for LR, They are in charge and “represent” all challengers.

I think ENTZ is happy that you aren't its official spokesperson. With diplomacy like that, who could possibly be offended?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, RobG said:

I think ENTZ is happy that you aren't its official spokesperson. With diplomacy like that, who could possibly be offended?

Well considering you crazy fools think GD invented Covid-19 in an attempt to cheat and keep the America’s Cup, I don’t think it matters whether I’m an ETNZ spokesperson or not.

• Downvote 1

Looking at various online travel forums, I am not surprised only 10% of applications for an exemption are approved.  Some people apparently think that "I have a nonrefundable airline ticket" is grounds for a humanitarian exemption. [sarcasm font]  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobG said:

I think that counts as trolling, bye.

Typical. You trolled me first, then couldn’t handle the response.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Typical. You trolled me first, then couldn’t handle the response.

I love the "I know you are, but what am I" response. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pusslicker said:

I love the "I know you are, but what am I" response. 

You should. You use it all the time.

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Ok, put your money where your mouth is.  If AM isn't sailing until September then you win, If they sail before then I win.  What do you want to wager?  Let's make it something that is unique to our home countries.

38 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Ok, put your money where your mouth is.  If AM isn't sailing until September then you win, If they sail before then I win.  What do you want to wager?  Let's make it something that is unique to our home countries.

You said Mid July. 

On 6/3/2020 at 7:48 AM, The_Alchemist said:

I don't know if it really is in as dire straights as you picture it.  AM got much more sailing in while NZ and UK were shipping their boats to Italy and LR was repairing their boat.  AM decided to stop sailing after the Covid-19 restrictions in Florida.  Remember that both the UK and Italy also had restrictions because of Covid.  NZ still hasn't sailed B1 and UK has just launched B1 in the UK.  Only Italy has been sailing B1 and NZ has been sailing their test boat for a few weeks.  AM had to move out of Florida because of the hurricane season and there would still have been some sailing restrictions up in Newport because of Covid.  AM just decided to take use of the Covid restriction time to move the boat to NZ.  Defiant will be in NZ in a couple of weeks (passing through the Panama canal shortly) and back on the water in another couple of weeks.  This way, AM and NZ will be sailing while LR and UK will be moving their boats to NZ.  

If they have a large enough container and are able to properly secure the boat, no need to disassemble it.  That will save them a few days of prep.  

And if we are in such a bubble, why do you need to come here for information that you could have researched on your own?

Dire straits?

bubble?

sorry you lost me  

So not July now but just sometime in between now and September? Lol okay then. 

I am surprised that ANY of the challengers ever had any plan to ship their #1 boats to NZ.

The #2 boats will be (must be!) substantially faster and different from the #1 boats. With no 2 boat testing, what is the point? Keep sailing the #1 boat in home or convenient waters until the #2 boat is delivered to NZ and ready to sail, then fly the team to NZ.

I can imagine shipping the mules there, but not the #1 boats.

1 hour ago, carcrash said:

I am surprised that ANY of the challengers ever had any plan to ship their #1 boats to NZ.

The #2 boats will be (must be!) substantially faster and different from the #1 boats. With no 2 boat testing, what is the point? Keep sailing the #1 boat in home or convenient waters until the #2 boat is delivered to NZ and ready to sail, then fly the team to NZ.

Backup plan.. incase you snap your good boat in half.

I believe that ETNZ shipped the decommissioned AC72 B1 hulls and components to SF, but I could easily be incorrect on that one. 

39 minutes ago, atwinda said:

Not really the greatest of strategies , B1 stepping in to replace a busted B2.

May be the only purpose is to keep the race crew in trim whilst waiting for B2 to arrive.

The removal of two boat testing was put in place to primarily see down costs and provide the defender some respite from the contenders.

Will be interesting to see if anybody other than AM ship B1 to Auckland.

1 hour ago, atwinda said:

I believe that ETNZ shipped the decommissioned AC72 B1 hulls and components to SF, but I could easily be incorrect on that one. 

It would be like jumping on a one tonner to compete; a strategy only useful if your opponent had also wrecked their boat and only had an opti for backup.

There is no second place.

22 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

What do you want to wager?  Let's make it something that is unique to our home countries.

Na, you can keep the orange menace thanks.

• Like 2

the orange menace is hardly unique to their country

they have plenty of spares for him

the aussies have scumo

and we have tod maga

poor replicates .. but replicates indeed

I am not so sure that the hull shape will matter that much for this competition.  They all had plenty of $$$ spent coming up with them. 

Looks does not matter at all (regardless of all the comments here and elsewhere) .

Yes aerodynamics does matter some while foiling,  but the B2 aerodynamics will not be that much better.  

Time from a touchdown to flying again can make a difference.  I am not sure how much of a factor this will be.   

A B2 hull failure could result in a B1 hull with the controls, foils and rig advances from a teams B2.  If this were to occur, it might not be that much of a setback.

Even if there is a small performance reduction, my bet is that one team is likely to have a significantly better combination of controls, rig and foils.  They would still be hard to beet with all of these items set up properly on a B1 hull.

• Like 3

TH made it clear in his interview that, aside from starting practice in the racing areas, they will have B1 there for insurance during the races. Ready to sail in 2 days or so if needed.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, carcrash said:

AM was in a tough spot.  They had to move B1 out of Florida by June (hurricane season and no insurance).  They had no assurance that they would be able to sail it in Newport because of the virus restrictions.  So they decided to ship it to NZ for practice until B2 arrives.  They have said that they will use some parts of B1 for B2 and that it could be a backup incase B2 can't go.  If all works out well, it will save them time overall and give them more time on the courses in NZ (remember that AM and NZ will be sailing while GB and LR are shipping their boats to NZ).  They have learned all they can from the Mule and have it for sale if you are interested.  They are more interested in getting boat handling experience with the full crew.  Team NZ has admitted that they were somewhat behind by not having their test boat available earlier and as you can see that they are still testing various foils.  AM has said that the Mule was critical to the development of their AC75, control systems and simulator validation.

• Like 1

^^ ETNZs test boat is completely different to the challengers dinghies. And a hell of a lot more useful...

29 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

AM was in a tough spot.  They had to move B1 out of Florida by June (hurricane season and no insurance).  They had no assurance that they would be able to sail it in Newport because of the virus restrictions.  So they decided to ship it to NZ for practice until B2 arrives.  They have said that they will use some parts of B1 for B2 and that it could be a backup incase B2 can't go.  If all works out well, it will save them time overall and give them more time on the courses in NZ (remember that AM and NZ will be sailing while GB and LR are shipping their boats to NZ).  They have learned all they can from the Mule and have it for sale if you are interested.  They are more interested in getting boat handling experience with the full crew.  Team NZ has admitted that they were somewhat behind by not having their test boat available earlier and as you can see that they are still testing various foils.  AM has said that the Mule was critical to the development of their AC75, control systems and simulator validation.

TNZ never planned to have their test boat available earlier. Dan B said it during the Te Kahu launch. They said they decided to concentrate on getting B1 right and that the test boat would become their B1.5 as Te Aihe would be overseas and  Te Kahu would allow them to continue their development while Te Aihe was away. Te Kahu was launched a few days after Te Aihe had been put on a ship.

10 minutes ago, uflux said:

^^ ETNZs test boat is completely different to the challengers dinghies. And a hell of a lot more useful...

yah, Ok.....  Of course if you are building a test boat after you have already sailed B1, you might make it a little more customized than the first test boats.  That still doesn't change that fact that AM was sailing the Mule for about 10 months before NZ had a boat in the water...

21 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

yah, Ok.....  Of course if you are building a test boat after you have already sailed B1, you might make it a little more customized than the first test boats.  That still doesn't change that fact that AM was sailing the Mule for about 10 months before NZ had a boat in the water...

If Defiant is all Amway could come up with after sailing the Mule for 10 months Te Kahu is light years ahead in all departments.

Remember these days you don't need a real boat to advance a AC program until very late in the piece.

38 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Yeah but then ETNZ was able to leverage a whole previous AC cycle of design and hydrodynamic knowledge. AM started from zero...

13 minutes ago, uflux said:

Yeah but then ETNZ was able to leverage a whole previous AC cycle of design and hydrodynamic knowledge. AM started from zero...

This guy and a few more of the Amway design team would not agree with you that they have zero design and hydrodynamic knowledge.

marcelino_botin.jpg.d804259ae546b282f4438cb799092d2d.jpg

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

This guy and a few more of the Amway design team would not agree with you that they have zero design and hydrodynamic knowledge.

marcelino_botin.jpg.d804259ae546b282f4438cb799092d2d.jpg

I am talking about a team, which is always more than the some of its parts. As I am sure you can agree :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, uflux said:

I am talking about a team, which is always more than the some of its parts. As I am sure you can agree :rolleyes:

What on earth are you babbling on about.

There is a design knowledge osmosis without the constraints of protective intellectual property rights that washes freely between AC cycles.

You get what you pay for.

9 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

What on earth are you babbling on about.

There is a design knowledge osmosis without the constraints of protective intellectual property rights that wash freely between AC cycles.

You get what you pay for.

Really....Jeez I wonder why ETNZ is so consistently successful then .They must just be really lucky :D

babble babble

2 minutes ago, uflux said:

Really....Jeez I wonder why ETNZ is so consistently successful then .They must just be really lucky :D

babble babble

Success odds on creates more successive success.

Sorry Uff but who are you exactly backing to be successful.

16 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Strange way of saying it... But I’m glad you agree with me :rolleyes:

Any one would have thought that you were suggesting that AC tech was open source...but of course that would be ridiculous. 

8 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Existing for a long ass time through government funding doesn't hurt either.

14 hours ago, P Flados said:

A B2 hull failure could result in a B1 hull with the controls, foils and rig advances from a teams B2.  If this were to occur, it might not be that much of a setback.

Bingo

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Forourselves said:

TNZ never planned to have their test boat available earlier. Dan B said it during the Te Kahu launch. They said they decided to concentrate on getting B1 right and that the test boat would become their B1.5 as Te Aihe....

After seeing what has actually unfolded over the last year or so, one of two things hold true here:

1. The Emiratis are the lousiest team on earth from a strategic, management, and execution standpoint and just got insanely lucky last go-round.

2. Four has no idea what he's talking about....ever.

Actually, both could hold true.

• Like 1

If AM starts sailing in NZ before LR and Ineos, then AM may (like ETNZ) be sailing fully-crewed rather than short-handed and with electric winches. 

Remind me why exactly (besides increasing sailor employment) do we applaud using human grinders as opposed to a smaller team where the people are doing other things? 

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Remind me why exactly (besides increasing sailor employment) do we applaud using human grinders as opposed to a smaller team where the people are doing other things? 

Some would argue that having more sailors, and having less powered and automated systems, makes it a better sporting event than if the balance was too heavily technical.

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

If AM starts sailing in NZ before LR and Ineos, then AM may (like ETNZ) be sailing fully-crewed rather than short-handed and with electric winches. 

What gets lost in all this ridiculous Kiwi spin is that the biggest (maybe only) advantage the Emiratis have right now is the home-water advantage. Sailing the boat is one thing - sailing it in the area where the courses will be set is entirely another.

I mean, let's face it - in terms of international yacht racing, Hairwhacky Gulf is not exactly on the list of premier "tracks" that top-echelon teams and events frequent. It's essentially a "backwater".

So, AM is making a brilliant move in this regard. And it's also why the Emiratis are playing the NeoZed Government card so blatantly to stall AM and protect that advantage as long as they can. They know that once DEFIANT starts blasting around fast and under control in full view of the Kiwi public - the Kiwis will fully understand (by seeing the actual difference with their own eyes) how poor a design Te Ahmed really was, and how far behind their home team really is.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Because without the human hydro pumpers there would only be 3 people on the boat.

53 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

So, AM is making a brilliant move in this regard.

Yes, TH makes a convincing-enough argument for wanting to be let in ASAP for reasons that include learning the courses. But otoh the winter winds are setting in which may curtail their sailing-days. 

Listening to the BA interview makes me think AM might in hindsight have been better off building a ‘real’ base down there, one with more manufacturing and other capabilities, to better match ETNZ and Ineos, especially now that they will be there for longer than originally-planned. 

4 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Existing for a long ass time through government funding doesn't hurt either.

The NZ government makes a profit by supporting ETNZ...Just good economics.

A drop in the bucket compared to the billionaires bankrolling teams.

11 minutes ago, uflux said:

The NZ government makes a profit by supporting ETNZ...Just good economics.

Okay - you've just surpassed Four on the ridiculously deluded meter.

What's the margin on that $250M investment again?

Seriously, you KiWhingersTM literally have no idea what you're saying. Go back and look at the actual economic studies. You'll sound a bit less ignorant.

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

What gets lost in all this ridiculous Kiwi spin is that the biggest (maybe only) advantage the Emiratis have right now is the home-water advantage. Sailing the boat is one thing - sailing it in the area where the courses will be set is entirely another.

I mean, let's face it - in terms of international yacht racing, Hairwhacky Gulf is not exactly on the list of premier "tracks" that top-echelon teams and events frequent. It's essentially a "backwater".

So, AM is making a brilliant move in this regard. And it's also why the Emiratis are playing the NeoZed Government card so blatantly to stall AM and protect that advantage as long as they can. They know that once DEFIANT starts blasting around fast and under control in full view of the Kiwi public - the Kiwis will fully understand (by seeing the actual difference with their own eyes) how poor a design Te Ahmed really was, and how far behind their home team really is.

And yet the Auckland cycles of the America’s Cup were some of the most successful AC events ever.....go figure :mellow:

1 minute ago, uflux said:

And yet the Auckland cycles of the America’s Cup were some of the most successful AC events ever.....go figure :mellow:

Show me the numbers and benchmark that "some of the most successful AC events ever" claim against the others. Then we'll talk.

Just now, smackdaddy said:

Okay - you've just surpassed Four on the ridiculously deluded meter.

What's the margin on that $250M investment again?

Seriously, you KiWhingersTM literally have no idea what you're saying. Go back and look at the actual economic studies. You'll sound less stupid.

Sigh....When is was young my uncle was involved in the economic study for the NZ government over there financing for the Valencia challenge. He told me it was a no brainer. A large chuck came back to the government and income tax from those involved in every aspect of the challenge. Even before other economic factors were taken into account... any more questions??

Your uncle. Okay.

As I was saying, you have zero facts to back up anything you say. So you're not worth listening to.

24 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Your uncle. Okay.

As I was saying, you have zero facts to back up anything you say. So you're not worth listening to.

Yes he was a partner at KPMG for many years. Glad I could help

34 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Show me the numbers and benchmark that "some of the most successful AC events ever" claim against the others. Then we'll talk.

Oh so you are a ratings man eh... just like your amazing president..lol 

Even your beloved TH reminisces about his time here. Or is he involved in the conspiracy too :blink:

89E5535B-65C3-4407-8BF2-AB76981816C4.jpeg

5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Some would argue that having more sailors, and having less powered and automated systems, makes it a better sporting event than if the balance was too heavily technical.

But you can't see them doing much, down in the aerodynamic hull of an AC75. Less automation, I get that but grinding notbso much unless they are doing mental tasks too?

4 hours ago, Norcal said:

Because without the human hydro pumpers there would only be 3 people on the boat.

More like 5 or 6?  

9 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Your uncle. Okay.

How ironic

13 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

After seeing what has actually unfolded over the last year or so, one of two things hold true here:

1. The Emiratis are the lousiest team on earth from a strategic, management, and execution standpoint and just got insanely lucky last go-round.

2. Four has no idea what he's talking about....ever.

Actually, both could hold true.

Or 3. You're just a crybaby whinger. There's the answer you're looking for.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Crikey Four/Don you really do have your lance firmly wedged in the windmills vanes if you want to wave that nonsense around.

AC36 is a complete economic train wreck let’s just enjoy the on water jousting  we surely as ratepayers and taxpayers have paid handsomely  for the opportunity if you can call it that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

More like 5 or 6?  

Driver, main trimmer, flight controller...... what are your other 2-3 people going to be doing, sipping cocktails?

That's right Prisc and Terry. Like I said, I've yet to see a KiWhingerTM provide actual facts for hardly anything they claim. It's one of the many reasons you can't take any of them seriously.

15 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

But you can't see them doing much, down in the aerodynamic hull of an AC75. Less automation, I get that but grinding notbso much unless they are doing mental tasks too?

Yes it’s debatable but given that ‘it is what it is’ then AM being able to get their grinders out on the water, doing whatever all they need to get good at, is potentially an advantage they will earn by being in Covoid-free NZ the soonest. 

2 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

That piece was written in 2017, long before Covid-19 attacked the world.

And before knowing there’d be just 3 Challs, and located in NZ for only about 6 months. But C19-wise, yes it did rely pretty heavily on Super Yachts and visitors, whose numbers may now be quite a lot lower.

I’d forgotten about the ‘2055’ bits... Interesting.

—-

The divergence in the estimated benefits reflected different assumptions about the number of syndicates that would compete, how many super yachts would visit and international tourist numbers.

"By taking a longer view, that is, by including the activity generated by additional super yacht visits to 2055, the economic gains outweigh the costs. Our modelling suggests that over the long term [out to 2055] every $1 invested in the infrastructure generates approximately $7.50 of economic activity."

• Like 1

I posted the actual economic study when I was walking these idiots through reality a while back. The floor for breaking even was 6 participants if I recall. We are well beneath the basement now as you know.

This event is an economic disaster just as I said - and was so even prior to The Sickness. But when you have Kiwis like Four, all one needs to do is tell them everything is fine and they believe it. Is he representative of the actual Kiwi public? That's a scary thought.

11 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Always amazes me how this argument for having events like the AC is still trotted out there. This along with trickle down and friends fucking has never worked in the history of the world and never will.

1 minute ago, pusslicker said:

Always amazes me how this argument for having events like the AC is still trotted out there. This along with trickle down and friends fucking has never worked in the history of the world and never will.

Hers a simple answer... don’t fucking watch it. 

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

I posted the actual economic study when I was walking these idiots through reality a while back. The floor for breaking even was 6 participants if I recall. We are well beneath the basement now as you know.

This event is an economic disaster just as I said - and was so even prior to The Sickness. But when you have Kiwis like Four, all one needs to do is tell them everything is fine and they believe it. Is he representative of the actual Kiwi public? That's a scary thought.

All is fine shit daddy. It will be a huge success both in sporting terms and economic terms. Your team will lose, mine will win. You’ll still be a loser crying bitching and moaning while Kiwis will be celebrating yet another win lol

Actually, I honestly don't think the Emiratis have shown that they can win this one...unless they cheat of course.

Considered the cost of the event, no super yachts, crews isolated and not spending on the place,  it will be a pyrrhic victory or defeat.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Considered the cost of the event, no super yachts, crews isolated and not spending on the place,  it will be a pyrrhic victory or defeat.

Yeah TC - it almost makes me want the Emiratis to win, just for the sake of the New Zealand people who have had to shoulder such a humiliating and costly disaster in their own front yard....almost.

46 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Hers a simple answer... don’t fucking watch it. 

Considering the fallacious nature of your blind adherence to “trickle down” there not going to much else to watch apart from some very fast yachts being heavily funded by the public purse.

Hah the social welfare state you gotta luv it.

Why did the other guests walk right through the group? Couldn't they have waited?

This is incredible, how do these people exist in real life at all without adult supervision? These are exactly the brain-dead idiots that will screw up all our liberties again by their "me, me, me" attitude. Not even able to wait a couple of minutes until the room is cleared. Keeping distance is a rule both parties need to adhere to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

And before knowing there’d be just 3 Challs, and located in NZ for only about 6 months. But C19-wise, yes it did rely pretty heavily on Super Yachts and visitors, whose numbers may now be quite a lot lower.

I’d forgotten about the ‘2055’ bits... Interesting.

—-

The divergence in the estimated benefits reflected different assumptions about the number of syndicates that would compete, how many super yachts would visit and international tourist numbers.

"By taking a longer view, that is, by including the activity generated by additional super yacht visits to 2055, the economic gains outweigh the costs. Our modelling suggests that over the long term [out to 2055] every $1 invested in the infrastructure generates approximately $7.50 of economic activity."

2055 probably isn't that far off.  I remember first visiting Auckland in the 90s and the Viaduct was, how do I put it?  A shithole.  Fast-forward 30 years and the bars/restaurants/hotels seem to print money so a multiplier effect seems reasonable in a normal economy.  Post-COVID with no tourists?  Doubtful for the next few years.