2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Clarkidiot, you were calling him, you are obsessed. "Just a matter of time before they follow the herd @smackdaddy "

Does Four lie when he's caught out? Of course he does. Always has. So why bother?

As ZMF said above, I know how to deal with guys like these KiWhingersTM. They can't win "on my court".

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Clarkidiot, you were calling him, you are obsessed. "Just a matter of time before they follow the herd @smackdaddy "

Nope, I replied to him without quoting him because I don’t want to waste my time reading his drivel. That’s how the Iggy function works. 

36 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Nope, I replied to him without quoting him because I don’t want to waste my time reading his drivel. That’s how the Iggy function works. 

Ah ah ah. So you reply to him without reading him ? :blink: Only on SA :)

Finally - some dignity in Auckland...

yysw289161.jpg

11 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Finally - some dignity in Auckland...

yysw289161.jpg

[Snigger]

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Today's Viaduct webcam is giving a nice time-lapse of the AM base roof going up - upper right, right next to the INEOS building - scroll sideways:

https://www.takeabreak.co.nz/webcams/16/auckland_viaduct_harbour_webcam

Pretty modest cost whare not like the Frackers that have built a castle in comparison still seeing that they will be both back in Auckland 2025 its a sensible move.

Now what are the Handbags going to build?

15 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Yep, good question since they (unlike AM) have not been operating out of a Pensacola-type base. Too late to start a ‘real’ base, so we should expect something similar to AM’s. 

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ah ah ah. So you reply to him without reading him ? :blink: Only on SA :)

Yep, I did. Because all he does is spew crap and claim it to be fact. Pretty easy to reply without looking. As easy as ETNZs no look gybe on the boundary to Sink the final nail in Oracles coffin.

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Pretty modest cost whare not like the Frackers that have built a castle in comparison still seeing that they will be both back in Auckland 2025 its a sensible move.

I don’t see the NYYC farming out their defending location like Oracle. ;)

• Like 1

Dean is very recently out and about Auckland. Most of the team isn't here yet.

Pretty much taking the same approach as ETNZ in Bermuda. Containers and a tarp. I guess Covid screwed the building plans delaying them a couple of months.

Very keen to see them on the water !

4 hours ago, Monkey said:

I don’t see the NYYC farming out their defending location like Oracle. ;)

This did not even need saying...... 

It's their performance that will determine if it ever comes to pass. However, it is nice to see NYYC putting their hand back in the game with an actual challenge.  Gotta hope that B2 is a large step forward. 

9 hours ago, CaptainGigi said:

In a nation fighting drought, fires, and a plague, the America's Cup Defender also finds itself under seige. The world watches, Mr. Dalton.

Fires? 

Plague?

Drought?

5 hours ago, Boink said:

This did not even need saying...... 

It's their performance that will determine if it ever comes to pass. However, it is nice to see NYYC putting their hand back in the game with an actual challenge.  Gotta hope that B2 is a large step forward. 

So is it a forgone conclusion that B1 is already way off the mark? 

On 7/6/2020 at 7:24 AM, Sailbydate said:

Looks to be the genesis of 'the bustle' here. Senior sports writer, Duncan Johnstone. Maybe he should stick to croquet commentary. 

Ain't no bustle here.

1593647704832.jpg

6 hours ago, terrafirma said:

So is it a forgone conclusion that B1 is already way off the mark? 

And just what is your basis for implying that the US B1 (or any of the B1s for that matter) was "off the mark".

Foils, foil controls and sails are much bigger factors than hulls.  Working out how to best execute tacks and jibes (this includes foils, foil controls and crew work) is of huge importance.  All of the B1 allowed adequate testing of foils, foil controls and sails.  All B1s produced plenty of data to be fed back into the simulators so as to optimize the B2s.  All B1s allowed for crew training and working out logistical issues sailing this platform.

B1s were not built for competition.  Any competing they do will be pointless (not mattering to the AS outcome) and will not even be a good comparison of performance (since the racing will be pointless).

Foil design choices for marginal wind performance vs. high speed optimization were probably more important choices for the B1s than hull shape.  Bulb vs. no bulb may turn into a big deal.  They each made their choices and I expect most will "move toward the middle" with their B2s.    

So again, do you have any basis for your post other than meaningless trash talk.   If you want trash talk, all of the splashing around by the defender has been highlighted at least once or twice. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, P Flados said:

B1s were not built for competition.

Thou shalt not forget NZL32.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, P Flados said:

again, do you have any basis for your post other than meaningless trash talk

I think Terra may have been questioning the quite damming assumptions that some have made here about Magic's B1. These primarily seem to based on the fact they have a rope actuated mainsheet traveller and some highly accurate boat speed estimates down to 0.1 of a knot based on long range shaky cell phone videos...

For me the most terrifying detail is that T Hutch is trying to get himself a position in the grinding pool - if there were ever a case for backseat driving this must be up there...

I will admit that having a team leader grinding away may be a not so good idea.  

Hum, was that the problem with the 72' cat.

• Like 1

Just the fact he's trying seems worrying, they don't seem shy of muscle and with people like Jim Turner they've already got solid tactical and technical experience on top of pure power. If he can't bring himself to step away it could affect the team dynamic.

Any news of non kiwi team arrivals? 

Published yesterday, I guess from Auckland.

Capture.PNG

Nice pic.

RG posted some recently of Te Aihe and in at least one of them (below) it almost looks like the rudder can flex. Has the possibility already been yakked about? 

https://www.sail-world.com/photo/288855

11 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Nice pic.

RG posted some recently of Te Aihe and in at least one of them (below) it almost looks like the rudder can flex. Has the possibility already been yakked about? 

Not that I know but I don't think it is forbidden by the rule.

Interesting to see how this photo looks like TNZ mule with the same angle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Capture.PNG

The Auckland web cam still shows the boat shrink wrapped next to the shed which is still under construction...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Not that I know but I don't think it is forbidden by the rule.

Is there an allowable way in the Rule to cant the rudder much more than simply fore and aft? If there’s a little leeway to go left-right too then it could explain the possible rudder flex being seen, suggesting.. what? 

59 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Is there an allowable way in the Rule to cant the rudder much more than simply fore and aft? If there’s a little leeway to go left-right too then it could explain the possible rudder flex being seen, suggesting.. what? 

16.4 With the rudder centre plane aligned with LCP, and at all rake angles that can be achieved, no wetted part
of the rudder shall extend:
(a) below a waterline plane 3.500 m below MWP;
(b) aft of TRP; or
(c) forward of a transverse plane 1.500 m forward of TRP.
16.5 At all yaw and rake angles that can be achieved, no wetted part of the rudder shall extend further outboard
than planes offset from LCP by 1.500 m both to port and to starboard.
16.6 Only the following rudder movements are permitted relative to the AC75 yacht:
(a) yaw, being a rotation about an axis joining the lower and upper bearing centres; and
(b) rake, being a rotation about a transverse axis through the lower bearing centre.

16.7 The rudder must not touch any part of the yacht except:
(a) a lower bearing, whose bearing centre must be a fixed point that lies on LCP;
(b) an upper bearing, whose bearing centre can move, but must always lie on LCP;
(c) a device whose only purpose is to react yaw moment and control yaw angle, connected to a steering
system; and
(d) the hull lower surface within 0.500 m of any yaw axis as defined in Rule 16.6 (a).

16.10 No device shall be used to induce deformation in the rudder; any deformation may only be the result of
external forces and reactions by components permitted in Rule 16.7.

14 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey they have removed the bustle :P

It had to take a load of containers to Singapore

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

On one hand, everything deforms at some point, but I think that kinda looks like a trick of the photo and the water on the rudder. Seems like flexy rudder would have some serious drawbacks like the elevators getting different angles. Can't imagine what the upside would be.  (*cue flexy rudders being the cup winning innovation)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMac said:

On one hand, everything deforms at some point, but I think that kinda looks like a trick of the photo and the water on the rudder. Seems like flexy rudder would have some serious drawbacks like the elevators getting different angles. Can't imagine what the upside would be.  (*cue flexy rudders being the cup winning innovation)

Stingstupid has shown he doesn't know what a pintle and gudgeon is let alone Wtf a rudder does.

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Stingstupid has shown he doesn't know what a pintle and gudgeon is let alone Wtf a rudder does.

Huh.  He's always seemed like a decent dude who has been pretty willing to go places to get info and never struck me as stupid.  He's been a bit of an Oracle zealot in the past, but couldn't people here say the same thing about you with NZ?  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RMac said:

Thanks, agree 

9 hours ago, RMac said:

Huh.  He's always seemed like a decent dude who has been pretty willing to go places to get info and never struck me as stupid.  He's been a bit of an Oracle zealot in the past, but couldn't people here say the same thing about you with NZ?  

I don't cut and paste drivel that has been posted previously. I actually studied the rules rather than ask mindless questions. And I've thousands of miles on the water.

Just saying he is a clueless apologist.

On 7/9/2020 at 8:52 AM, atwinda said:
On 7/9/2020 at 4:50 AM, Tornado-Cat said:

Capture.PNG

The Auckland web cam still shows the boat shrink wrapped next to the shed which is still under construction...

This must be an old photo. I was checking the boat out yesterday afternoon and as @atwinda says, it's still wrapped in white cling film!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

This must be an old photo. I was checking the boat out yesterday afternoon and as @atwinda says, it's still wrapped in white cling film!

Was the bustle visible crikey I had better issue an immediate apology to Four.

14 hours ago, barfy said:

^ cue "ignore"

You must have ignored everyone on here ten times over by now. Do you think people give a shit that you threaten to ignore them?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

You must have ignored everyone on here ten times over by now. Do you think people give a shit that you threaten to ignore them?

Give the guy the attention he’s worth, given that he goes by Hearbfy :D 

• Like 1

Despite his "thousands of miles on the water" and "memorization of the protocol" - I've honestly never seen an intelligent, informed, or even coherent comment from this barfy dude.

As far as I'm concerned, he's just kind of an annoying barfly who mumbles about his "iggy" list into his bowl of drool soaked peanuts.

51 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Give the guy the attention he’s worth, given that he goes by Hearbfy :D 

:D

5 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Was the bustle visible crikey I had better issue an immediate apology to Four.

Was pretty much walking past so didn't pay a lot of attention *face palm 

I think, based on earlier photos, that the bustle is still there. It was briefly dropped in the piss and then pulled out again.

EDIT: Actually, the reflections are doing my head in - I'm not sure there is a bustle.

am.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I think, based on earlier photos, that the bustle is still there.

6560354_preview.png.4ce368430b7556c3c05048f77cfd20c3.png

• Like 1

Just now, Priscilla said:

6560354_preview.png.4ce368430b7556c3c05048f77cfd20c3.png

Not so hasty. I think the true owner of the face palm is yet to be decided.

56 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Oh well call it a pre post of my body language after I have apologised for my poor eyesight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

No, you are looking at the reflection of the container ship.  The white crew portion of the the ship is what looks like the back end of a bustle.  You can even see a reflection of the yellow crane just in front of the white reflection.  It is the dark ship and its reflection on the water that give the line going to the bow.

The Bustle Strap-on. That's some American Magic right there.

New Zealand should be really proud of its representatives here.

7 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

The Bustle Strap-on. That's some American Magic right there.

Nice to see you're capable of some self reflection...

I see the reflection of a moron.

• Like 1

Any chance of them "Bustling" up and going for a sail anytime soon? :D

If you can't sit your beer on it - it's no bustle...

bustle.jpg

52 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Any chance of them "Bustling" up and going for a sail anytime soon? :D

Bustle.JPG.c74a8cbff33001a02b1ad89fa2ce5d37.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I see the reflection of a bustle.

Should have gone to Specsavers.
1299A0D7-A392-4723-B649-90B9681B4B5D.thumb.png.f7d6e391d94e886476e3361ecc12f712.png

• Like 2

Just a matter of time. Either all the other teams are on the wrong track, and American Magic has stolen a march or we're gonna see some sort of bustle on this boat or the next one. One thing for sure, they don't seem to be too worried about leaving the boat outside for a couple of weeks in the middle of winter, or they don't seem to be in any rush to get her out on the water, so maybe they've all but given up on boat 1, and are waiting on boat 2. 

3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

One thing for sure...or....maybe ...and ....

Isn't one sure thing usually one thing? You gotta love the way his brain refuses to work. It's breathtaking.

6 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Just a matter of time. Either all the other teams are on the wrong track, and American Magic has stolen a march or we're gonna see some sort of bustle on this boat or the next one. One thing for sure, they don't seem to be too worried about leaving the boat outside for a couple of weeks in the middle of winter, or they don't seem to be in any rush to get her out on the water, so maybe they've all but given up on boat 1, and are waiting on boat 2. 

If you would look on the webcam, you can see that they have already moved it into the base/tent and closed the door/curtain

Jully 11th, 9:50 am

1406711812_ScreenShot2020-07-11at10_21_59AM.thumb.png.274eeedb5e8f3edb0ba84e6e07ddb28c.png

Jully 11th, 4:20 pm

1772062887_ScreenShot2020-07-11at10_23_08AM.thumb.png.b3f213fed7bef37d1a13b6f065e56dd7.png

21 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I see the reflection of a moron.

So stop looking in the mirror!

#Clown Pa

Perhaps AM has got all the useful data out of boat 1 that it can and is now waiting on B2. By all accounts, B2’s are due in Auckland in September. AM may get a few sails out of Defiant over the next few weeks, that’s if the tram is even in the country yet, but assuming she’s being gutted for parts for B2, they probably wouldn’t get much meaningful data out of her before they start putting together B2. It would be pretty demoralising for the team to go out there with the Kiwis and and get “accidentally” smoked. 

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Interesting pic really, TNZ Shangri La  Frackers tin shed and Amway tent.

Where does American Magic operate out of, it's somewhere in Rhode Island right? Are they using a boat builder for the "shore base" and hired office space for the designers? Or have they got a full fledged base?

I won't pollute this NYYC base with a pic of the INEOS base but its a quite impressive looking building in Portsmouth and I understand they will leave the bulk of their designers etc at home so the "tin shed" and "tent" only has to house the boat(s) and shore team(s)...

9 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Where does American Magic operate out of, it's somewhere in Rhode Island right? Are they using a boat builder for the "shore base" and hired office space for the designers? Or have they got a full fledged base?

I won't pollute this NYYC base with a pic of the INEOS base but its a quite impressive looking building in Portsmouth and I understand they will leave the bulk of their designers etc at home so the "tin shed" and "tent" only has to house the boat(s) and shore team(s)...

AFAIK Magic have always used tented/container structures for their operations bases in both RI and FL. They have their own boat building facility in RI which will have been responsible for the Mule and B1 and B2. 

I think the design staff have been spread across the operations and boat building locations plus some European offices (Botin is HQ'd in Santander Spain but I think they've been practicing remote working since before Covid so have staff spread across Europe at least).  

Looking at their NZ base I'd expect that only a small design staff will be permanently onsite in Auckland.

5 minutes ago, NZK said:

AFAIK Magic have always used tented/container structures for their operations bases in both RI and FL. They have their own boat building facility in RI which will have been responsible for the Mule and B1 and B2. 

I think the design staff have been spread across the operations and boat building locations plus some European offices (Botin is HQ'd in Santander Spain but I think they've been practicing remote working since before Covid so have staff spread across Europe at least).  

Looking at their NZ base I'd expect that only a small design staff will be permanently onsite in Auckland.

Agree with all of that.

But TH has said that the team going to NZ will include some designers. Maybe they will rent a good facility for that, nearby. 

12 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Perhaps AM has got all the useful data out of boat 1 that it can and is now waiting on B2. By all accounts, B2’s are due in Auckland in September. AM may get a few sails out of Defiant over the next few weeks, that’s if the tram is even in the country yet, but assuming she’s being gutted for parts for B2, they probably wouldn’t get much meaningful data out of her before they start putting together B2. It would be pretty demoralising for the team to go out there with the Kiwis and and get “accidentally” smoked. 

Yea, AM is going to pay to rush ship the assembled B1 to NZ, get all of the crew cleared and just wait until September when B2 arrives on a plane?  How much weed do you smoke?

You are grossly underestimating the capabilities of Defiant.  

41 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Agree with all of that.

But TH has said that the team going to NZ will include some designers. Maybe they will rent a good facility for that, nearby. 

A few of the Magic videos have shown what appear to be design staff working out of container offices which I assume are part of the tented base. Maybe they're just keeping the same set-up? It would make sense to maintain a similar working environment across all 3 sites...

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Agree with all of that.

The effect of COVID on downsizing, work from homing, and going-out-of-business, there's actually plenty of spaces available down there for rent atm :-)

14 hours ago, Forourselves said:

gutted for parts for B2

Wtf? Why wouldn't they just make new parts? 

5 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Wtf? Why wouldn't they just make new parts? 

Time and money may best be spent elsewhere on new developments. 

Interviews from several teams have indicated that some, who knows how much exactly, system parts will be interchangeable. 

AM is not going to "gut" B1. That's just Four being stupid and completely wrong yet again.

TH has made it clear that though B2 will use some components from B1, B1 will be ready to launch and race with a couple days turn-around if needed.

This is why no one should ever take any of these KiWhingersTM seriously. They have literally no clue what they are talking about.

3 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Yea, AM is going to pay to rush ship the assembled B1 to NZ, get all of the crew cleared and just wait until September when B2 arrives on a plane?  How much weed do you smoke?

You are grossly underestimating the capabilities of Defiant.  

They “rushed” the boat here only to have it sit outside for a week then sit inside for at least another week. We’ll see how “under estimated” she is when ever they manage to get her in the water.

10 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

We’ll see how “under estimated” she is when ever they manage to get her in the water.

Let me guess: Hatred towards AM needs a buildup? :D

58 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Let me guess: Hatred towards AM needs a buildup? :D

Don’t bother tormenting SClarkey. He’s still worried about a bustle. I still can’t stop laughing. I gave him so much shit for believing any press release. Then the moron bit hard on an oops, simply because it was in the press. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Don’t bother tormenting SClarkey.

To give SClarkey some credit:

When I look at that photo and concentrate on the light of the port foil arm reflecting back toward the photographer, and then take some LSD and stare for 36 hours or so at it, it really does start to resemble the scary-as-hell eyes, nose and mouth on the face of Herbie!! :D 

4 hours ago, Monkey said:

Don’t bother tormenting SClarkey. He’s still worried about a bustle. I still can’t stop laughing. I gave him so much shit for believing any press release. Then the moron bit hard on an oops, simply because it was in the press. 

Another worthwhile contribution. Remember she’s in the shed for a couple of weeks so she may just come out with one yet. Every other team is testing one, so if they don’t, they’ve either given up on boat 1 or they’ve stolen a march. I know which one I believe.

4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

To give SClarkey some credit:

When I look at that photo and concentrate on the light of the port foil arm reflecting back toward the photographer, and then take some LSD and stare for 36 hours or so at it, it really does start to resemble the scary-as-hell eyes, nose and mouth on the face of Herbie!! :D 

Well you have been on the LSD before. After all, according to you, Oracle was clearly the faster boat in Bermuda lololol

On 7/12/2020 at 1:19 AM, Forourselves said:

You already tried that.... it didn’t work just a few posts earlier. 

19 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Another worthwhile contribution. Remember she’s in the shed for a couple of weeks so she may just come out with one yet. Every other team is testing one, so if they don’t, they’ve either given up on boat 1 or they’ve stolen a march. I know which one I believe.

How long was NZ B1 in the shed after it arrived back home?  Defiant will be in the water shortly and according to plan, much earlier then your September prediction.  And you will find some lame excuse when AM does a flyby past NZ just like LR did to Britannia.

Just now, The_Alchemist said:

How long was NZ B1 in the shed after it arrived back home?  Defiant will be in the water shortly and according to plan, much earlier then your September prediction.  And you will find some lame excuse when AM does a flyby past NZ just like LR did to Britannia.

Oh yeah, I forgot that one. Has Four ever been right about anything...anything at all?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

DeVos is an idiot, but I will let them spend their money on AM.

She is dangerous! Cut from the same cloth as your Dear Leader

71760BE5-001B-4BF0-9AA7-39CA155FE6AE.jpeg

• Like 3

So if both Dear Leader and Amway Devos Magic win, will there be a lot of enthusiasm and entries for a Defense at Newport/MarALago?  Superyachts?  Surely US being a failed state won't  be a problem, will it? Asking for a friend...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

Lol problem is, LR is closer to ETNZ in design than AM. It’s mid July now... just saying.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Lol problem is, LR is closer to ETNZ in design than AM. It’s mid July now... just saying.

Well, just told your breath until September...  It might be a consolation prize since you failed to cover your bet.

4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Oh yeah, I forgot that one. Has Four ever been right about anything...anything at all?

Yes indeed, the reverse is always right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

Well, just told your breath until September...  It might be a consolation prize since you failed to cover your bet.

They better have a much faster boat than everyone else because Dean Barker, with all due respect, has a problem winning. He doesn’t know how to. In terms of the “bet” even though you weren’t confident enough to make one, nothing is lost, other than your mid July sailing lol and no Defiant anywhere to be seen lol 

5 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Yep. The only thing that matters. Who won the cup lol when all you so called knowledgeable people wrote them off, laughed at their hand me down test boat, and said it was too old to be useful, then went on and on about how far behind they were because they hadn’t sailed in so long, and how they were hurting their campaign by staying in Auckland, about how simulators would never equal on water time like the Bermuda teams getting, then about how the cyclors were “stupid” and the bikes wouldn’t help because none of the other teams had thought it was worthwhile, who was here saying you’d all be proved wrong in Bermuda... that’s right... ME. Smack can talk all the shit he likes. But he’s always wrong about everything. And he’ll be wrong about the cup too. As long as Barker is skipper, they won’t win. With all due respect, He doesn’t know how to win.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:57 AM, Forourselves said:

They “rushed” the boat here only to have it sit outside for a week then sit inside for at least another week. We’ll see how “under estimated” she is when ever they manage to get her in the water.

I hope they've got a can of black paint for the bow of Defiant once it does hit the water.

All good dogs have a back nose...

I'd like to help out AM and their supporters in the area of visualization.

With the imminent debut of Defiant on the Waitemata, you will need to get used to this view of Te Aihe's stern as she disappears over the horizon ...

My pleasure.

DSC_0721.jpg

• Like 7

Yes indeed, the reverse is always right.

Yep you’re a troll like your friend smack. And you’re going to have to watch as ETNZ hoist the America’s Cup up again in March 2021.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Yep. The only thing that matters. Who won the cup lol when all you so called knowledgeable people wrote them off, laughed at their hand me down test boat, and said it was too old to be useful, then went on and on about