• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Barnyb

Team NYYC

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

Discreet, it ain't. But after LR's silver spermatozoa, who am I to snicker?

The pic at SButt may be fanciful, artistic license. It’s different to the graphic at the NYYC link.

wasn't there something like Kiwi Magic in the old days? cool to see challengers starting to line up!

11 minutes ago, JMOD said:

wasn't there something like Kiwi Magic in the old days? cool to see challengers starting to line up!

There was Black Magic, of course. And was AR’s ‘Big Blue’ christened as Magic Blue?

Anyway, from here https://nyyc.org/news/-/blogs/new-york-yc-and-bella-ment?_33_redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fnyyc.org%2Fnews%3Fp_p_id%3D33%26p_p_lifecycle%3D0%26p_p_state%3Dnormal%26p_p_mode%3Dview%26p_p_col_id%3Dcolumn-2%26p_p_col_pos%3D1%26p_p_col_count%3D2

Philip Lotz, Commodore of the New York Yacht Club, said, "America was the first boat to win the America’s Cup in 1851. Magic was the first boat to defend the Cup in 1870.”

i stand corrected. I had it in my mind that kiwi magic was a NZ boat in Fremantle. 

edit: found it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi_Magic

Edited by JMOD
found additional info

9 minutes ago, JMOD said:

i stand corrected. I had it in my mind that kiwi magic was a NZ boat in Fremantle.

Wasn't that Plastic Fantastic?

44 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

There was Black Magic, of course. And was AR’s ‘Big Blue’ christened as Magic Blue?

Anyway, from here https://nyyc.org/news/-/blogs/new-york-yc-and-bella-ment?_33_redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fnyyc.org%2Fnews%3Fp_p_id%3D33%26p_p_lifecycle%3D0%26p_p_state%3Dnormal%26p_p_mode%3Dview%26p_p_col_id%3Dcolumn-2%26p_p_col_pos%3D1%26p_p_col_count%3D2

Philip Lotz, Commodore of the New York Yacht Club, said, "America was the first boat to win the America’s Cup in 1851. Magic was the first boat to defend the Cup in 1870.”

the 50 was magic blue. i think the 72 was 'not Clifford'

49 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

american_magic_logo.jpg

Eagle? Phoenix?

That's a Bald Eagle bowing in appropriate reverence to a Kiwi

5abac46675866_FightingKiwi.jpg.f968b15405968d7de5f64ad0f8e8c7e9.jpg

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

mate..... thats the 50. seriously.

MAGIC BLUE\'S FIRST SAIL

1 Mar 2017

On Monday the team sailed its new America’s Cup Class yacht, Magic Blue, for the first time. Skipper, Nathan Outteridge, was excited to get her out on the water. Full story: www.artemisracing.com

This American Magic bull shit is a joke right?  And the logo is a knock off of the Washington Capitals Weagle.  

6sc3ky.jpg

The lack of creativity, and taste, in regards to the branding of this team and the naming of their boats gives me pause, to put it politely.  

Magic indeed.

33uy435.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, Stingray~ said:

The America had a big eagle on her stern also.

Man,  this sucks. 

I loved AC33 and 34, was astonishingly uniterested in AC35, but this one has: really dumb looking boats,  the absolute worst grifters and loons representing USA,  rehashing the bad of previous Cup's while coming up with new dumb ways of foot-shooting.  At least you can come here for really good discussions about...   conspiracy theory BS about foil lift gantrys?  Jeez. 

That is a stupid logo for a bad team. As someone who traveled to watch the Cup in the past, I can't imagine doing anything but being surprised when it makes a bottom of page headline in the WSJ and I realize it's been on for a few weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMac said:

Man,  this sucks. 

I loved AC33 and 34, was astonishingly uniterested in AC35, but this one has: really dumb looking boats,  the absolute worst grifters and loons representing USA,  rehashing the bad of previous Cup's while coming up with new dumb ways of foot-shooting.  At least you can come here for really good discussions about...   conspiracy theory BS about foil lift gantrys?  Jeez. 

That is a stupid logo for a bad team. As someone who traveled to watch the Cup in the past, I can't imagine doing anything but being surprised when it makes a bottom of page headline in the WSJ and I realize it's been on for a few weeks. 

Jesus. You must be fun at parties. Really easy solution, don't watch it! 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2018 at 4:49 PM, Xlot said:

Wasn't that Plastic Fantastic?

KZ-7 was nicknamed "Plastic Fantastic" but the name on her transom was Kiwi Magic...

Image result for 12 KZ-7 Kiwi Magic

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 7:46 PM, Stingray~ said:

Yep, you were correct. ‘Not Clifford’ for their AC72 ‘Big Red’ (coined by IM iirrc) was clever too.

actually.... 'not clifford' was the blue 72. and im coining the phrase.....no. he was not the first to use it.

34 minutes ago, basketcase said:

actually.... 'not clifford' was the blue 72. and im coining the phrase.....no. he was not the first to use it.

Yes, correct. IM referred to Big Red as Clifford (‘the Big Red Dog’) - and probably wasn’t the first to.

On 3/28/2018 at 10:18 PM, RMac said:

Man,  this sucks. 

You are right.  Bankrolled by Richard Devos who made his money with Amyway (which is just one big pyramid scam) and his totally unqualified wife bought the job of Secretary of Education by being Trump's largest donor.....  not really the type of people you want to cheer for...  It is nice the NYYC is back involved, but what are they going to put on the sails?  A large Amway logo, now that is classy.

As far as the new logo, how many times can you arrange the same three colors into an eagle?  It looks like they are trying to capture the eagle as it swoops down to attach prey.  One of the major problems is that the logo is more vertical and makes it difficult to make it large on horizontal surfaces, like the side of a boat.  I really like the old Stars and Stripe logo, that was creative and uniquely American.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herfy said:

You are right.  Bankrolled by Richard Devos who made his money with Amyway (which is just one big pyramid scam) and his totally unqualified wife bought the job of Secretary of Education by being Trump's largest donor.....  not really the type of people you want to cheer for...  It is nice the NYYC is back involved, but what are they going to put on the sails?  A large Amway logo, now that is classy.

As far as the new logo, how many times can you arrange the same three colors into an eagle?  It looks like they are trying to capture the eagle as it swoops down to attach prey.  One of the major problems is that the logo is more vertical and makes it difficult to make it large on horizontal surfaces, like the side of a boat.  I really like the old Stars and Stripe logo, that was creative and uniquely American.

I don't mean to interrupt your rant with facts, but the campaign is backed by Hap Fauth and Doug Devos (not Richard, his father).  Doug is not married to Betsy, that's his brother Dick Devos.  I'm sure that family trees are confusing for you.

As for the Amway logo, it certainly wouldn't be the firm's first foray into athletic sponsorship, but hopefully the syndicate can pull in some other sponsors that you may find more reputable.

20 minutes ago, RumLine said:

I don't mean to interrupt your rant with facts, but the campaign is backed by Hap Fauth and Doug Devos (not Richard, his father).  Doug is not married to Betsy, that's his brother Dick Devos.  I'm sure that family trees are confusing for you.

As for the Amway logo, it certainly wouldn't be the firm's first foray into athletic sponsorship, but hopefully the syndicate can pull in some other sponsors that you may find more reputable.

Thanks for setting facts straight. I was originally under the assumption this challenge was meant as a way to let Quantum break the North stranglehold on America’s Cup sailing. However their red, white, and blue logo sure does match up nicely with the Amway colors. I’m guessing the old man steps in to sponsor, at least in some fashion. 

45 minutes ago, Monkey said:

However their red, white, and blue logo sure does match up nicely with the Amway colors. I’m guessing the old man steps in to sponsor, at least in some fashion. 

The red, white and blue colors also match up with the fucking country the team will represent.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

1 minute ago, WetHog said:

The red, white and blue colors also match up with the fucking country the team will represent.  

Thank you captain obvious. I do live here. I’m just saying a red, white, and blue logo wouldn’t exactly look right on your typical Quantum sponsored boat. What I’m saying is I don’t think Quantum will be the primary sponsor. If I had to bet right now, Amway will be be a bigger sponsor. 

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Anybody family associated with Betsy or especially with Erik Prince is potentially toxic but I’ll hold my nose, bite my tongue, in naive hope that the syndicate conducts itself with some hint of good-class regardless.

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/erik-prince-trump-mueller/

Did you hold your nose during the Cup match back in '92?  Also, Uncle Larry is a big Republican Donor as well.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/marco-rubio-larry-ellison-219549

Ultimately, what does American politics matter when it comes to the AC?  Not a damn thing so lets leave it out, ok?

Sweet Jeeeeezus the last time I experienced this much animosity for an American team I walked around Yankee stadium with a Red Sox hat on and a Manny jersey...

FFS they have not even drawn a boat and all people want to do is criticize. As a previous poster said, some of you must be great at parties. Please, for all that is good and pure, LIGHTEN UP. Folks around these parts are thrilled that the club is getting back into the AC.This effort has so much potential and the leadership on 44th street is doing a phenomenal job of keeping the members in the loop and generating support. With all of the buzz that is being created and the Oakcliff connection, you might think they have something going...!! 

FD: Homer who wants to see the club get it back. 

5 minutes ago, Vin said:

Sweet Jeeeeezus the last time I experienced this much animosity for an American team I walked around Yankee stadium with a Red Sox hat on and a Manny jersey...

FFS they have not even drawn a boat and all people want to do is criticize. As a previous poster said, some of you must be great at parties. Please, for all that is good and pure, LIGHTEN UP. Folks around these parts are thrilled that the club is getting back into the AC.This effort has so much potential and the leadership on 44th street is doing a phenomenal job of keeping the members in the loop and generating support. With all of the buzz that is being created and the Oakcliff connection, you might think they have something going...!! 

FD: Homer who wants to see the club get it back. 

Please don’t confuse my comments with annomosity, that’s my new homer team. 

2 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Thank you captain obvious. I do live here. I’m just saying a red, white, and blue logo wouldn’t exactly look right on your typical Quantum sponsored boat. What I’m saying is I don’t think Quantum will be the primary sponsor. If I had to bet right now, Amway will be be a bigger sponsor. 

2reh6c7.jpg

Anyway, the America's Cup isn't the TP52 series.  

3 hours ago, Herfy said:

First off, who care how the guy made his money or anyone else for that matter.

Cheer for your countries best chance to get the cup back who give a fuck about politics?

Buy the way how's your retirement acct doing over the last 17 months or so?   

1 hour ago, jesposito said:

First off, who cares how the guy made his money or anyone else for that matter.

The motivation behind the money does matter. The de Vos family wins political and even kill-people-for-profit power in very ugly ways, it does matter.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The motivation behind the money does matter. The de Vos family wins political and even kill-people-for-profit power in very ugly ways, it does matter.

Ok....  who have they killed?

The AC has often been very much about money and politics in its long history. It's an entirely legitimate topic for discussion, for those who want to talk about it. Those who don't want to, don't have to.  

• Like 1

In general, sport fans are remarkably indifferent to moral issues - at least white-collar crime, Alan Bond and Raul Gardini were certainly no saints. When it gets political ... dunno, in Berlusconi's heyday even rabid left-wingers were perfectly happy in his spending millions on the Milan soccer club.

The John Oliver piece about multi-level marketing ripping off poor people in Latin America was quite impacting, though

So I guess we need to get into what is going on down in Prato, Italy then.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/23/opinion/23thomas.html

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1370603/fire-kills-least-five-chinese-run-garment-factory-tuscany-italy

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/view-from-italy-the-peoples-republic-of-prato

I will look into what sponsors and team principles for ETNZ and BAR are up to later.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WetHog said:

So I guess we need to get into what is going on down in Prato, Italy then.

Knock yourself out. On the Luna Rossa thread. 

17 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

16 hours ago, Meatbomb said:

US jury convicts Blackwater guards in 2007 killing of Iraqi civilians

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/oct/22/us-jury-convicts-blackwater-security-guards-iraq

Sorry, me again, just fact checking here...Blackwater was founded by Erik Prince, brother of Betsy DeVos.  So here's how those deaths are connected to "American Magic"

• American Magic Syndicate
    • NYYC and Bella Mente Quantum Racing Assocation - with Hap Fauth as CEO
      • Doug Devos - Quantum
        • Dick Devos - Brother of Doug
          • Betsy Devos - wife of Dick DeVos
            • Erik Prince - former Navy Seal and founder of Blackwater
              • Blackwater (now known as Academi) - a contractor for the CIA
                • Guards employed by Blackwater who killed Iraqi civilians

Seems like a bit of a stretch to me.  I do like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon though, always fun.

So everyone got their pantomime villains lined up to boo hiss?

Those champions of the simple man better ride their black charger to victory once again so!

1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

Knock yourself out. On the Luna Rossa thread. 

I won’t.  Just showing that dirt on most AC syndicates can be found with very little digging.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

20 hours ago, jesposito said:

who care how the guy made his money or anyone else for that matter.

Don't say stupid shit John.  People will think you are a horrible person.

Would you do a business deal with a guy who got rich selling child sex slaves?    Do you have friends who rape women regularly?  Give me a break.

Maybe you meant to say "he made his money legally, which is all anyone can ask of him."  

Pretty fucking weak name though.  I guess they could have a mascot dressed up like Gandalf, but it doesn't really work with the whole 'international racing competition' motif.

Though they will need every bit of magic they can get to win, I guess

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Don't say stupid shit John.  People will think you are a horrible person.

Too late

If you are looking to cheer on a right wing,  bigoted, fundamentalist Christian family, who made billions in a pyramid marketing scheme, and now spend their money on sailboats and attacking public school teachers then American Magic is tailor made for you.

The NYYC got it right the first time when they blackballed Rich Devos in the mid 80's

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, nav said:

qQqW6wZ.jpg

Pretty funny resemblance.  Man, the badging of this team pisses me off.  

Also, as attractive as this majestic beast. ;)

zuo7q0.jpg

WetHog  :ph34r:

On April 3, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Stingray~ said:

Yea it's not like lazza was ever unethical in his business dealings and who knows about the offshore CIA accounts....

"Only eagle in the world that attacks parachutes and paragliders".

A small amount of research shows that is not correct.

2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

"Only eagle in the world that attacks parachutes and paragliders".

A small amount of research shows that is not correct.

it's a meme, not supposed to be taken that seriously

you get the point of it though

21 hours ago, RumLine said:

Sorry, me again, just fact checking here...Blackwater was founded by Erik Prince, brother of Betsy DeVos.  So here's how those deaths are connected to "American Magic"

Yet I was drawing a connection to the De Vos family.

14 hours ago, WetHog said:

Also, as attractive as this majestic beast. ;)

zuo7q0.jpg

At least it's not inspecting its wrinkle.

21 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Pretty fucking weak name though.  I guess they could have a mascot dressed up like Gandalf, but it doesn't really work with the whole 'international racing competition' motif.

Though they will need every bit of magic they can get to win, I guess

Weak name and awful logo.  At first I thought the logo was numerous dildos entering a welcoming asshole, but someone recently pointed out that it might have more pagan origins.

800px-Baphomet.png

On 4/3/2018 at 6:16 PM, Stingray~ said:

Yet you have been willing to kiss Torbjörn Törnqvist's ass for a few cup cycles on Sailing Anarchy and we all know how he got permission to make his money and who he was in the pocket of.....  A killer...    Lets keep politics out and just talk sailing.

13 hours ago, DHFiend said:

Lets keep politics out and just talk sailing.

I see, you want to discuss the America's Cup as though it is Just Another Regatta.

On 10/4/2017 at 5:05 PM, terrafirma said:

Just like old times with the NYYC back. Perhaps they could hire Dennis Connor in some capacity to upset the Kiwi faithfuls. :rolleyes:

We need a good personality and rivalry to stir up the emotions and get people interested.  Where's Connor 2.0? 

1 hour ago, teddyrow said:

Where's Connor 2.0? 

Busy learning Italian.

1 hour ago, teddyrow said:

We need a good personality and rivalry to stir up the emotions and get people interested.  Where's Connor 2.0? 

stingray?

3 hours ago, teddyrow said:

We need to the a good personality and rivalry to stir up the emotions and get people interested.  Where's Connor 2.0? 

Waddling into the sunset clutching a half empty litre of Mt Gay to his capacious bosum

I see on the FP that the Ed, with his finger on yachting's pulse, has just noticed the NYYC's 'American Magic' name and graphic ...

On 4/14/2018 at 2:16 PM, nav said:

I see on the FP that the Ed, with his finger on yachting's pulse, has just noticed the NYYC's 'American Magic' name and graphic ...

he seems to have his panties all up in a twist about it too, what happened? did poor little scooter get turned down for membership to NYYC or something? that post was whinier than usual. 

28 minutes ago, Indio said:

Great to see Dean Barker doing well..

Agree 100%, although under the American flag.
It was a pleasure to watch dial-ups, 270s, collisions, very agile boats in tight duels again. Great!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

It was a pleasure to watch dial-ups, 270s, collisions, very agile boats in tight duels 

If that is what you are looking for, I'm afraid you are in the wrong Forum :D

5 minutes ago, Xlot said:

If that is what you are looking for, I'm afraid you are in the wrong Forum :D

That's why I almost left, and jump in here only every now and then.

On 4/21/2018 at 9:54 AM, Rennmaus said:

Agree 100%, although under the American flag.
It was a pleasure to watch dial-ups, 270s, collisions, very agile boats in tight duels again. Great!

I always felt Deano was more suited to monohulls. Coutts and Burling both have engineering pedigrees which Deano doesn't have (nor for that matter Spithill), which always limited his contribution to the team (ETNZ), making it inevitable that he would be released by ETNZ for AC35. I'm not sure he's got what it takes to helm the American Magic AC75 in anger...

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 3:15 PM, Rennmaus said:

That's why I almost left, and jump in here only every now and then.

Renn catch some of the congressional cup replays from this weekend on youtube . All the close racing you would ever want to see :)

26 minutes ago, maxmini said:

Renn catch some of the congressional cup replays from this weekend on youtube . All the close racing you would ever want to see :)

I watched it live on YT, and the VOR of course. Great weekend.