• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Editor

what is it?

columbia-40.jpg

Warning: The following content is not suitable for anyone under 50 years old.

While motoring the Anarchy III the other day (yes, sailing will commence. just waiting for sails...) we spied this Columbia at Anchor in Hobo Harbor. Clearly it is a Tripp-designed Columbia 40, right?

i was sure it was a 40, but when i looked up columbia 40 before i posted this, it was not what i thought! and that lead me to the constellation. that has to be the morgan designed 40 hull, right?

That Columbia 50 house turned a lot of heads back in the day, but on the Columbia 50 -  it looks proportionately to large on the Constellation. 

From a distance or in pictures, the Constellation looks smaller and close up one realizes the size.

Seven of the Columbia Constellations were built and 39 of the Columbia 38s were built.

I would have to go through my old albums and slides to see if I have any pics that are presentable. Don't recall taking any interior pics.

I had an opportunity to buy one a few years ago from a recently widowed woman whose husband had maintained it perfectly, including a brand new rig and diesel.  Was very short money and I have regretted passing on it ever since. 

3 hours ago, ColinR said:

My guess is S&S IW-31, with slightly enlarged windows. http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5505 I have just replaced the old windows on my S&S (Chris Craft) Comanche 42 and when you throw the old frames away, the windows end up being bigger.

nope, IW-31 doesn't look like that.

This one looks larger, but not 40.

//J

Are the spreaders on that thing really angled forwards?  Drawings and pics on Constellation link above show them inline.  Ed's pic makes them look angled forward..

I'm thinking inline. 
The photographer's position looks to me to be abeam, but directly opposite the aft end of the cabin.  Hence, he's looking slightly forward toward the mast (and bow pulpit) accounting for the appearance of a forward-angled spreader.

I don't have any first hand information, so this is pure speculation:

I think when they converted the boat to a full keel, instead of the original keel centerboard, this added buoyancy due to the increased keel volume, and therefore the waterline is a few inches shorter than the original C40.

I had to turn spreaders around like that on a boat with a very noodly upper mast section in order to get adequate headstay tension. It looked odd, but it sure worked well. Sort of like adding running backs, but without the weight and windage and complexity.

Spreaders look square to me, you can only see the starboard one, what appears to be port spreader is steaming/foredeck light.

Thanks stickboy...it was the steaming light that fooled me, in conjunction with what looks like some forward sweep to the outer portion of the trailing edge of the spreader

Tripp and Morgan had much in common. The Tripp Columbia 43, hull #1 had the Columbia 50 deck on it with that same cabin style. I own hull #4 for the last 40 years. Lots of info on the 43 here:http://hagothlog.blogspot.com/2012/07/columbia-43-little-history.html

Tripp did some interesting work with Dolf Le Comte back in the days like the ALC 35 MK 2, a lovely boat in my opinion. http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1647   They build them in the Netherlands and I believe that's where Koopmans got his style from. 

Tripp's list of designs view_designer.asp

Answering has anybody been below.  Yep, as said, almost bought one.  It is a "small" 39 compared with modern hull designs.  Short waterline and narrow.  Except for the doghouse has very low headroom (at least for me, I'm 6'4").  This one was meticulous and finished in traditional white with dark wood trim and navy blue cushions with white piping.  Was really nice!

The doghouse was huge for this size of a boat and was almost like a greenhouse.  Could sleep four, five in a pinch if friendly.  I was like adding a big doghouse to a Hinckley Pilot 35.

They only built 1/2 dozen and I know of one in Mexico that was a zombie a few years back so.....good luck.

I'd love one too - way better looking than my old C-43.

I can add a bit to this, since I raced aboard a Columbia 40 named Carib in the San Diego-Acapulco Race back in the 60s.  It was a descendant of Charley Morgan's Paper Tiger, which swept the 60-61 SORC.  Columbia modified the 40 with a spade rudder but it was still an "interesting" boat to sail downwind in a breeze.  I also sailed a Constellation like the one in the photo a few years later, also based on the Columbia 40 hull, but with a Columbia 50 deck slapped on it.  Very strange, because the non-slip pattern sort of slid off at the gunwales where they trimmed the deck to fit.  Also a neat boat, big airy doghouse, and I always thought it was pretty cool looking, altho not as pretty as the Columbia 50.  But it was short on the waterline and, again, with a big masthead chute, was a real handful off the wind.  You almost needed a hotrod "brodie" knob on the wheel so you could spin it fast.  But a great boat at Catalina with all that deck space.

That's interesting Boater - I always assumed they had simply used the 50's doghouse when they built the deck plug, not that they actually cut down a 50's deck to fit.

Did it have standing headroom forward or did you have to crouch?