Connor.kainalu

Speed wrinkles?

What the heck are these mystical "speed wrinkles" I keep hearing about? I've heard them mentioned applying to lasers, fj's, and 420's. How do they work?

All about luff tension, in certain conditions it pays to have the fullness a bit further back in the sail, this gives a finer entry and a tighter leech all else being equal, sufficient luff tension to get rid of the wrinkles can start opening the leech slightly earlier than is required, causing a loss of height and power.

If you do enough " speed " you will get wrinkles in your face. Then you die. Just keep sailing!

Steve McQueen may have had some vices but I doubt it was " speed ". He drove fast and lived fast. Forever cool. Well-earned wrinkles.

1 hour ago, xonk1 said:

Steve McQueen may have had some vices but I doubt it was " speed ". He drove fast and lived fast. Forever cool. Well-earned wrinkles.

Exactly.

Logically you would think that smooth sails are faster than creased sails. This is not always true. Lasers in particular get them from having loose downhaul combined with heavy main/vang loads. It is faster to have wrinkles...

I doubt the wrinkles themselves are fast. It is the advantageous slack in the luff that gives a deep fast shape to the sail. The wrinkles just happen as a side effect. If sails could somehow be made both perfectly stretchy and perfectly non-stretchy, magic cloth, the wrinkles would not appear.

As we get older, unless we get really fat, our faces become wrinkled. As we old guys are very clever and fast, the youngsters refer to us as "speed wrinkles."

• Like 1