• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
forss

Ethernet B&G H5000 and WIFI Mobile Hotspot

How to use both ethernet H5000 and WIFI Mobile Hotspot at the same time?

Don't have much idea how to set network, but I want to access B&G 192.168.0.2 with cable, and google.com with wifi on laptop.

CABLE access 192.168.0.2 (B&G H5000 cpu)

WIFI access google.com (WIFI hotspot)

Any ideas how to do it?

Make sure the WIFI is using a different network than 192.168.0 (if it does use the .0 network at the moment, check your Wifi access point manual on how to change the "network mask" and "dhcp range". You can use e.g. 192.168.1.x), otherwise your laptop will not be able to tell which network interface to use for which kind of traffic. 

Also, make sure that the network settings for your cable connection does not have a "default gateway" set. This will tell your laptop that whenever it wants to reach something outside of your local Wifi or your B&G (e.g. google.com), to go through the wifi interface.
That should be all.

Thanks!

It does make sense, and hopefully I can configure it properly now.

Can't wait to test it out on the boat.

I'm building live tracking web app and using B&G data gives a lot of cool options. Live wind data, AIS etc

B&G H5000 websockets are pretty awesome to get all that data easily

We are looking at something similar.

goFree WiFi-1 as on boat network, with wired Ethernet to H5000 etc, and the uplink port to a Ubiquity Bullet to connect shoreside. Probably with a Raspberry Pi if my stepson finds the time to do it. Should allow putting weather instruments online, and the mast mounted video as well. 

I know I'm missing something here, but I don't know what. Just yesterday I was connected to H5000 cpu 192.168.0.2 via ethernet and to marina wifi configuring my system. No problems, no confusion. The connections are using different network adapters. I was able to go anywhere on the web while connected to the cpu.

??????

10 hours ago, jdazey said:

I know I'm missing something here, but I don't know what. Just yesterday I was connected to H5000 cpu 192.168.0.2 via ethernet and to marina wifi configuring my system. No problems, no confusion. The connections are using different network adapters. I was able to go anywhere on the web while connected to the cpu.

??????

I can log in my laptop to club WiFi and to boat via wired Ethernet as well.

In my case, I have mix of wireless and wired connection to boat Ethernet network, so I use the GoFree WiFi  as access point 

To connect that whole network to shore requires a gateway (the Ubiquity bullet)

• So Zeus can phone Home for updates,
  • call directly call PredictWind for gribs
  • publish data off boat to “weather web page”
  • Laptop etc can access net with better range (6 dB antenna on mast) 

17 hours ago, jdazey said:

??????

Yes, I found out what my problem was.

MacOS can order different network adapters. Before I had Ethernet first, WIFi second, but I changed order to WIFI first, ethernet second and everything worked like you described.

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 12.57.59.png

Also got my basic web app working, winter job is to make it prettier and use more useful :D

59d9fcab2fd13_ScreenShot2017-10-08at13_18_44.png.d289742a2a008f80d215d85cbfe225b5.png

On 07/10/2017 at 9:10 PM, scaprat said:

Make sure the WIFI is using a different network than 192.168.0 (if it does use the .0 network at the moment, check your Wifi access point manual on how to change the "network mask" and "dhcp range". You can use e.g. 192.168.1.x), otherwise your laptop will not be able to tell which network interface to use for which kind of traffic. 

Also, make sure that the network settings for your cable connection does not have a "default gateway" set. This will tell your laptop that whenever it wants to reach something outside of your local Wifi or your B&G (e.g. google.com), to go through the wifi interface.
That should be all.

If the H5000 is on a network with a DHCP server it will pick up an IP address from whatever range it's running.  Just make sure the DCHP server is up and running before the H5000 is turned on. If it doesn't pick up an IP address it defaults to 192.168.0.2 and if that's outside the network range than probably can't be acessed via the network.  Our boat network assigns addresses in the same range so it all works just fine.

BUT H5000 can't be configured to pick up the same IP address every time, so it can be hard to find on the network unless the router can be told to assign it a static IP address - most do have this functionality.  I use Chrome and with a shortcut on the desktop and a tool bar bookmark and static IP address assigned it's one click to get the B&G web interface while web browsing anything else.

In our boat we have the h5000 connected to a laptop using wired Ethernet. The port on the laptop is static and set to 192.168.0.1. On the laptop I run connectify. This app sets up a WiFi with a 192.168.2.x in the boat so we can access expedition using an iPad. In connectify i set what ever network available as internet. This setup works quite well.