• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
atoyot

Louvre gets sensibilities bent over piece of Dutch art

Wow. If not pointed out, what kind of mind sees what they see in this?  Well, SA may not be the right venue in which to pose that question.

Louvre Pulls Sculpture, Saying It Was Sexually Explicit

The Louvre has withdrawn a large installation by a Dutch art and design collective for being sexually explicit — right on the heels of the Guggenheim’s decision to pull three controversial artworks from its upcoming China show.

The piece — “Domestikator” by the collective Atelier Van Lieshout, whose outline depicts copulation — was to go on view on Oct. 19 in the Louvre’s Tuileries Gardens as part of Hors les Murs, a public art program organized by the Fiac contemporary art fair.

03louvre-item2-master768.jpg.19d1406791721d979b004ff0789fcc8d.jpg

“This is something that should not happen,” Joep van Lieshout, the collective’s founder, said in a telephone interview. “A museum should be an open place for communication. The task of the museum and the press is to explain the work.”

“The piece itself, it’s not really very explicit,” Mr. van Lieshout added. “It’s a very abstracted shape. There are no genitals; it’s pretty innocent.”

The London-based gallery Carpenters Workshop, which represents Atelier Van Lieshout, said in a statement that the Louvre’s decision was “very damaging for the artists and the Fiac program,” adding, “The artwork symbolizes the power of humanity over the world and its hypocritical approach to nature.”

“The artwork symbolizes the power of humanity over the world and its hypocritical approach to nature.”

Hang on, I have to go clean up some "artwork" my dog left in the back yard...Someone got paid for building that? I'm in the wrong business. :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, atoyot said:

Wow. If not pointed out, what kind of mind sees what they see in this?  Well, SA may not be the right venue in which to pose that question.

The Louvre has withdrawn a large installation by a Dutch art and design collective for being sexually explicit — right on the heels of the Guggenheim’s decision to pull three controversial artworks from its upcoming China show.

The piece — “Domestikator” by the collective Atelier Van Lieshout, whose outline depicts copulation — was to go on view on Oct. 19 in the Louvre’s Tuileries Gardens as part of Hors les Murs, a public art program organized by the Fiac contemporary art fair.

“This is something that should not happen,” Joep van Lieshout, the collective’s founder, said in a telephone interview. “A museum should be an open place for communication. The task of the museum and the press is to explain the work.”

“The piece itself, it’s not really very explicit,” Mr. van Lieshout added. “It’s a very abstracted shape. There are no genitals; it’s pretty innocent.”

The London-based gallery Carpenters Workshop, which represents Atelier Van Lieshout, said in a statement that the Louvre’s decision was “very damaging for the artists and the Fiac program,” adding, “The artwork symbolizes the power of humanity over the world and its hypocritical approach to nature.”

Looks like the artist grew up playing Minecraft.

“The piece itself, it’s not really very explicit,” Mr. van Lieshout added.

Who does he think he's kidding?

It would make a pretty fun house design though. :D

It looks a bit like a couple of Imperial Walkers getting busy to me. But I may watch too much Star Wars.....

WL

3 hours ago, atoyot said:

at least it wasn't in BW

It's not bau haus...... More like bow wow haus.... Not impressed. Not "art" nor "design" just an AGM.

Looks like more than their sensibilities got bent over.

4 hours ago, mikewof said:

"Bau wow haus" - Mr Left

Sorry. I left my sensibilities at the gate with my fingernail clippers, and 4oz. bottle of shampoo....

I.M. Pei would shudder and convulse at that image.

Eero Saarinen would vomit.

Even Alvar Aalto would convulse.

15 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Sorry. I left my sensibilities at the gate with my fingernail clippers, and 4oz. bottle of shampoo....

I dointe thick so, that gangue woud laffe overe drickes at the dutche boyes, then aske them "Is youre inspirrstione Franke Gherrey?"

Gehry is an ass. He think's he reinvented the fucking basket. He thinks that "oil canned" is a good look on a metal clad building. He's a nothing. He should be in a cell with Yamasaki.

who's next? Cesar Pelli?

15 hours ago, atoyot said:

There are no genitals; it’s pretty innocent.”

I am pretty sure I can see her box.

14 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Bow wow Haus, made me laugh.

I liked Saarinen, my fickle wife buys his furniture designs, but then after a year they end up in the basement or the Goodwill.

And Strangelove is practically a movie-long ode to him. Man, I have visit Finland one of these days.

On 10/08/2017 at 1:33 AM, LB 15 said:

I am pretty sure I can see her box.

There might even be a flying buttress.