• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
IPLore

Best Navigation App for GPS enabled ipad

I searched.  Im surprised there isnt already a thread.

What do folks use for coastal sailing (East Coast USA in my case) on their ipad?

Simple.....clear and good graphics...because im sailing a small fast boat and can only glance at the ipad in its ziploc from time to time.

I dont need too many features.

1. Charts so i dont hit anything

2. Download way-points so that I have bearing to the next mark

3. Indication of whether I am high or low of the rhumb line.

and....I want to be able to set up before the race...put ipad or iphone in ziploc bag and just glance at it from time to time.

Oh...and preferably t doesnt take 4 hours to download

I use a few.  MX Mariner is good because it integrates Active Captain and the charts for the Bahamas were not too expensive when I went there this past winter.

Navionics.  

You get the same charts as a chart plotter, very high definition and with a Navionics plus subscription to even get the 1' contours (called Sonarchart). You can easily add Way points, create routes, share way points and routes, plan routes, save your track, estimate arrival times and so much more. Check out more info here: https://www.navionics.com/usa/apps/navionics-boating

Ditto iNavX. You can test it with the free NOAA charts. With Navionics charts it's better. It's a very robust product especially considering it's cheap as chips. One thing I find with it is battery life is poor because your iPad uses a lot of battery when the GPS is functioning. I started experimenting with a Garmin handheld GPS hard wired to 12v and a little WiFi server, so the iPad is receiving GPS over WiFi. Battery life is much better. 

Navionics is junk .

many of the other chart plotter apps are overly complex.

the best charts , app, that I have used is Transas.

the ipad app for Transas is called  http://www.isailor.us/

the user interface is simple and intuitive.  

It is worth your time to review 

I love the 'navionics is junk' statement followed with no explanation... it may or may not be a correct statement, but without any further information you might as well have saved yourself  the keystrokes...  I use navionics quite successfully so who knows... maybe you're not using it right?

isailor's user manual is 180 pages... yikes!

not at bad as it looks... the first 40 pages are just how to buy the app and the charts and whatnot...

Edited by overdraft
looking at isailor

Navionics is junk: meant for leisure fishers. No nmea over WIFI, no AIS overlay, foolish (even dangerous?) autoroute function, foolish (even Dangerous?) crowd-sourced depth contours.

serious stuff for fishermen, much bigger market..

inavx charts won't work if you are offshore and out of range of a cell signal often times......you have to be sure to reload them prior to getting out of range

• Downvote 1

On 11/19/2017 at 3:42 PM, A.M.S. said:

inavx charts won't work if you are offshore and out of range of a cell signal often times......you have to be sure to reload them prior to getting out of range

Incorrrect.  The charts are downloaded and stored on the iPhone/iPad

• Downvote 1

I've informed my managers, several days ago, of similar customer feedback on the issue. I agree: charts should be in a form that is robust to retain in memory, easy to restore if necessary, universal / open-source file format, appropriate for offline / no-internet mode usage, etc. Eventually, I hope the necessary business decisions are made to reflect customer needs. On my end, as front-line technical support, all I can do try to make the best of a bad situation by recommending the Navionics charts, which are more straight-forward and robust for general use conditions.

This directly from Inavx tech support complaining that the quilted charts just stop working offshore......You roll the dice, you take your chances......

iSailor - importable and exportable waypoints. Night mode. Good charts. AIS if you need it, built in weather if you want it. 

Navionics- aggre it’s junk. No import or export function. Routing is whack. No night mode- seriously kills night vision. Found the chats to have inconsistencies. 

Inavx - probably good for US with the free charts. Only older charts for sale in some parts of Northern Europe. 

+ INavX  with wifi Ipad  air first gen borrowed from my kid  stored in lifeproof  waterproof case for $10  , garmin bluetooth portable 

for $ 100 saves all your problems . Bluetooth left in a cabin gets great reception , attached to portable  battery charger device  if you worry about 

battery life 

I haven't seen this mentioned but for simple routing called FastSeas: https://www.fastseas.com/ to work quite well on my Windows Tablet. An added bonus is you can add your polars and it will send you an estimated optimal departure time. 

Another ISO based option is Waave. 

On 11/19/2017 at 12:42 PM, A.M.S. said:

Bullshit, iNavx w/ downloaded charts works everywhere.  A great program, good support and will allow you to grow your system w/ wifi, AIS, etc.  I have used it up and down the West Coast and across the Pacific.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 10:03 PM, zenmasterfred said:

Bullshit, iNavx w/ downloaded charts works everywhere.  A great program, good support and will allow you to grow your system w/ wifi, AIS, etc.  I have used it up and down the West Coast and across the Pacific.

Bullshit yourself.....see my quote above from your vaunted support personnel at InavX themselves bemoaning the poor function out of internet range.  If you don't reupload everything  right before going out of range, you may well be SOL....don't take my word for it, that comes right from INAV tech support......

2 hours ago, A.M.S. said:

Bullshit yourself.....see my quote above from your vaunted support personnel at InavX themselves bemoaning the poor function out of internet range.  If you don't reupload everything  right before going out of range, you may well be SOL....don't take my word for it, that comes right from INAV tech support......

I have NEVER had ANY issue with iNavX outside internet range.