• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
rh2600

Dan Bernasconi Describes The Three AC75 Concepts

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Groucho Marx said:

And even the 18s are going to be dumped for the new tri-foiler.

Do you have anything to back that up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobBill said:

Maxmini +1. Helmets on sailboats say it all!

Thank god they lid up on J's and more these days.

Putting aesthetics ahead of someone else's safety? Safety every time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Groucho Marx said:

We recently watched the 65s race; agreed winds were light but what an excruciating yawn.

Monohulls, unless they're 18s or Moths or of similar ilk, are finished.

And even the 18s are going to be dumped for the new tri-foiler.

Maybe Guiiaume Verdier can surprise us with a beyond radical 75 foot monohull; one we have never seen before, in fact has never existed  - but he is going to be held back by old world farts yabbering in his ear?

Let's hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You "sail" you do not need helmet. Your armchair tunes will change...we hope!

You want alternative art...Ninja out of SA, but too small to be noticed, sadly gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Don't waste your time trying to compare mono vs multi speeds. They won't compare favourably. They never have.

probly what OR engineers were saying in 2011: These cats will never foil.

Never say never.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, barfy said:

probly what OR engineers were saying in 2011: These cats will never foil.

Never say never.

You're right.  But SbD is right, no mono will fly as a multi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jorge said:

You're right.  But SbD is right, no mono will fly as a multi

What does that mean? Does a Moth fly "as a multi" or faster and better than most? Does a Quant 23 keelboat " fly "as a multi" while it takes off before a foiling A cat in light air?

There tremendous potential to design a very, very fast flying 75' keelboat! Despite what some punks and old men are saying........

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doug Lord said:

What does that mean? Does a Moth fly "as a multi" or faster and better than most? Does a Quant 23 keelboat " fly "as a multi" while it takes off before a foiling A cat in light air?

There tremendous potential to design a very, very fast flying 75' keelboat! Despite what some punks and old men are saying........

You know what I mean. No matter how much potential it has, a 75 ft. monohull foiler can't compete  with a multihull foiler. And certainly won't be as fast as AC 50 nor AC72. Period. End of it. No matter how much pods or foils you stick to it. And I really doubt a  75 ft. monofoiler can stay on it's foils for more than one leg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jorge said:

 I really doubt a  75 ft. monofoiler can stay on it's foils for more than one leg

Perhaps Bernasconi and Verdier say

dgjLj.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  ^ Once again, don't forget that it's not Just Bernasconi and Verdier: whatever concept they come up with, it has to be something designers from other teams may be able to develop competitively too

On the opposite tack, paradoxically Marcelino Botín's hiring by the NYYC suggests that the AC75 won't be a "big TP52". Since all recent TP52s have been designed by him - and by Judel-Vrolijk, with less success, nobody else - ETNZ and LR would be stupid in giving such an advantage to the competition. A canting keel and some embryonic foils are now more than likely

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

As for scaled up moth designs, come on guys, get off the coolaid. We are going to get boats that are similar to VOR70s (or 65s), or IMOCA60s. In all reality, I am gutted they aren't simply using IMOCA60. The ROI for having a boat that can be used again and again would make the race finally relevant to sailing. Joining the global circuit of fastnet, vendee, hobart, etc. Finally getting a proper professional circuit embedded into the existing events - and getting a 20 boats faster then Oats and Comanche,,, f'n priceless!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jorge said:

You know what I mean. No matter how much potential it has, a 75 ft. monohull foiler can't compete  with a multihull foiler. And certainly won't be as fast as AC 50 nor AC72. Period. End of it. No matter how much pods or foils you stick to it. And I really doubt a  75 ft. monofoiler can stay on it's foils for more than one leg

An AC72? Given the agricultural foil control it would be a shame if they didn't manage that.

The issue isn't so much the potential speed. It's whether a high performance foiling mono hull will actually address any of the criticisms of the cat in terms of prestart action, stored power requirements and sail handling.

If it gets near AC72 speed then sail handling is out the window.

If it requires foils for stability that's low speed prestart manoeuvring gone.

If the foils extend to give the required righting moment that's close sailing gone.

If there's swinging lead that means stored power will have to stay or the cost of tacking and gybing will be prohibitive.

The reality is that the only way to deliver what the critics want is a low ride relatively low performance keelboat. Not surprising because everything they want is a function of racing 2 low ride relatively low performance keelboat.

The 3 concepts thing does sound like they've been exploring the possibilities. It's a shame that they've started off with such an apparently limited aesthetic vision to judge them by but may be also that's where you end up for grandeur, limited reliance on stored power and safety.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ipexnet said:

 

As for scaled up moth designs, come on guys, get off the coolaid. We are going to get boats that are similar to VOR70s (or 65s), or IMOCA60s. In all reality, I am gutted they aren't simply using IMOCA60. The ROI for having a boat that can be used again and again would make the race finally relevant to sailing. Joining the global circuit of fastnet, vendee, hobart, etc. Finally getting a proper professional circuit embedded into the existing events - and getting a 20 boats faster then Oats and Comanche,,, f'n priceless!

 

Why not an imoca60 with a wingmast?

 

Should be significantly faster and not impossible to use in vendee if you find some smart way if changing area of the mast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, arneelof said:

Why not an imoca60 with a wingmast?

 

Should be significantly faster and not impossible to use in vendee if you find some smart way if changing area of the mast.

Will it match race though? The semi-foiling ones certainly not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at https://wtop.com/europe/2017/10/british-star-ainslie-mentors-next-generation-of-sailors/

Ainslie said he’s OK with the shift.

“I guess on the face of it it’s a more traditional approach,” Ainslie said. “From what I can understand, I think this will be in a monohull something like we’ve never seen before. Therefore it still will hopefully fulfill the requirements for being fast and exciting, especially for young people coming through. I’m positive about it.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rgeek said:

The reality is that the only way to deliver what the critics want is a low ride relatively low performance keelboat. Not surprising because everything they want is a function of racing 2 low ride relatively low performance keelboat.

Good post. But the inherent conflict is that a low-ride, low-performance keelboat does not achieve the stated goal of 40 minute races (and apologies if I got the time target from the protocol wrong) ... a 40-minute race in low-performance keelboats would have to be on an INCREDIBLY short course, and then you have removed the opportunity to match race. 

So they MUST be thinking of a high-performance high-speed boat. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. 

Both BA and the NYYC teams have mentioned, in one form or another, that the design brief from what they know so far will be for a monohull that the world has never before seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rgeek said:

Will it match race though? The semi-foiling ones certainly not.

 

I guess a wing mast actually makes it a better match racer (faster tacks).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, arneelof said:

Why not an imoca60 with a wingmast?

 

Should be significantly faster and not impossible to use in vendee if you find some smart way if changing area of the mast.

 

Let's use the proper terms guys ... a wing mast is a teardrop-shaped, relatively large chord rotating spar. It so happens it already is one of two standardized options on IMOCAs (the other being a fixed spar with spreaders). What you are referring to is a wing sail

Now, reefable wing sails, there's been a number of attempts over the years, the latest one by VPLP (pictures somewhere) might be promising. If I understood correctly, the main issue has always been eliminating wrinkles on the leading edge by maintaning adequate longitudinal tension

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Xlot said:

 

  ^ Once again, don't forget that it's not Just Bernasconi and Verdier: whatever concept they come up with, it has to be something designers from other teams may be able to develop competitively too

On the opposite tack, paradoxically Marcelino Botín's hiring by the NYYC suggests that the AC75 won't be a "big TP52". Since all recent TP52s have been designed by him - and by Judel-Vrolijk, with less success, nobody else - ETNZ and LR would be stupid in giving such an advantage to the competition. A canting keel and some embryonic foils are now more than likely

 

Interesting logic, however, remember that Verdier and Bernasconi were necessary to the 3 concepts, it does not mean they will choose the most advanced one.

I don't know why they would choose a regular foil assist in an AC race where the upwind legs are key,  unless they have the possibility to put them up during the upwind legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  ^ Or reserve foils for the reaching leg: don't forget the Prot has the intriguing possibility of a triangle course

(Edit: is it the Prot or which other doc?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Xlot said:

 

  ^ Or reserve foils for the reaching leg: don't forget the Prot has the intriguing possibility of a triangle course

(Edit: is it the Prot or which other doc?)

Yes, from the Prot:

.. the Course to be a windward-leeward Configuration with an upwind Start and may include one or more reaching legs as further Specified by COR/D in the Conditions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BobBill said:

Seriously, who cares?

About Sir Ben's endorsement of the new ACC? Nobody.

If he ever holds the Cup aloft, I'll probably have a listen. Until then - noise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xlot said:

 

  ^ Or reserve foils for the reaching leg: don't forget the Prot has the intriguing possibility of a triangle course

(Edit: is it the Prot or which other doc?)

Yes, reaching and downwind.

After reading what is going around here is my unaducated guess:

- Light flat hull

- Huge code 0

- side retractable foils

- 2 rudder foils

- they may full foil on the reach, not sur sure downwind

Nothing really exciting for me, excepted full foiling reach, if it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

at https://wtop.com/europe/2017/10/british-star-ainslie-mentors-next-generation-of-sailors/

Ainslie said he’s OK with the shift.

“I guess on the face of it it’s a more traditional approach,” Ainslie said. “From what I can understand, I think this will be in a monohull something like we’ve never seen before. Therefore it still will hopefully fulfill the requirements for being fast and exciting, especially for young people coming through. I’m positive about it.”

You need to get an English to American translator working for you. His comments say he is highly sceptical but he will sail whatever he has to. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TC

Past Cup competitions have seen the boat trailing on a downwind leg use their position to interfere with the flow of wind to the lead boat.  Will a return to a monohull restore this tactic?  And does the tactic depend on a boat using a spinnaker?  I'm thinking the center of effort created by a spinnaker is too far forward to be mitigated by foil design.  So a match between foiling multihulls would preclude the tactic I look forward to seeing again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scassani said:

TC

Past Cup competitions have seen the boat trailing on a downwind leg use their position to interfere with the flow of wind to the lead boat.  Will a return to a monohull restore this tactic?  And does the tactic depend on a boat using a spinnaker?  I'm thinking the center of effort created by a spinnaker is too far forward to be mitigated by foil design.  So a match between foiling multihulls would preclude the tactic I look forward to seeing again.

 

Spinnaker, more correctly called gennaker or Code 0 on fast boats will definitly be present on AC75, so I would say yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scassani said:

TC

Past Cup competitions have seen the boat trailing on a downwind leg use their position to interfere with the flow of wind to the lead boat.  Will a return to a monohull restore this tactic?  And does the tactic depend on a boat using a spinnaker?  I'm thinking the center of effort created by a spinnaker is too far forward to be mitigated by foil design.  So a match between foiling multihulls would preclude the tactic I look forward to seeing again.

That's not a multi vs mono issue.  It's a slow boat vs fast boat issue.  The boat behind can't interfere with the boat ahead unless the apparent wind is aft of the beam.  Even my cruising tri goes downwind at 90 deg apparent, so an AC boat would have to be slower than that to return to downwind covering tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Basiliscus said:

That's not a multi vs mono issue.  It's a slow boat vs fast boat issue.  The boat behind can't interfere with the boat ahead unless the apparent wind is aft of the beam.  Even my cruising tri goes downwind at 90 deg apparent, so an AC boat would have to be slower than that to return to downwind covering tactics.

Do you have any insight into what this AC75 will be? It must surely be being spread through various grapevines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Basiliscus said:

The boat behind can't interfere with the boat ahead unless the apparent wind is aft of the beam.

So, if the problem that they want to solve is "how do we bring back tactics that worked for International Rule boats", one requirement is slow boats. NTTAWWT.  However, as pointed out by rgeek, the mooted designs aren't that.  What problem are they trying to solve?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Do you have any insight into what this AC75 will be? It must surely be being spread through various grapevines.

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, weightless said:

So, if the problem that they want to solve is "how do we bring back tactics that worked for International Rule boats", one requirement is slow boats. NTTAWWT.  However, as pointed out by rgeek, the mooted designs aren't that.  What problem are they trying to solve?

They are trying to get apples from an oak tree

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

That's not a multi vs mono issue.  It's a slow boat vs fast boat issue. 

Exactly.

12 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

The boat behind can't interfere with the boat ahead unless the apparent wind is aft of the beam.  Even my cruising tri goes downwind at 90 deg apparent, so an AC boat would have to be slower than that to return to downwind covering tactics.

But even if the apparent wind is aft of the beam, the boat behind can't interfere with the boat ahead, if the boat ahead chooses to gybe away from the following boat and is not sailing ddw in order to maximize vmg.

Interference does only exist, when the boat behind is located in the opposite direction from the apparent wind of the leading boat that has vmg < true windspeed. I don't see the apparentwind aft of the beam as a criteria for anything relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, weightless said:

 What problem are they trying to solve?

The one that only exists inside someones brain, but not in the reality of sailing or sailboats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NotSoFast said:

Interference does only exist, when the boat behind is located in the opposite direction from the apparent wind of the leading boat that has vmg < true windspeed. I don't see the apparentwind aft of the beam as a criteria for anything relevant.

It will depend of the boat they chose, and how fast it goes. And as they talk of huge code 0, it may not be that fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

It will depend of the boat they chose, and how fast it goes. And as they talk of huge code 0, it may not be that fast.

A boat with huge code 0 will never sail ddw when maximizing vmg. Thus no interference from boat behind on downwind legs, that isn't easy for the leading boat to avoid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

The boat behind can't interfere with the boat ahead unless the apparent wind is aft of the beam.

Hi Basiliscus. Thinking of that emblematic picture of land yachts taken from above, where one could clearly see the dust vortexes at right angles to their heading. Was it you who posted it?

 

1 hour ago, NotSoFast said:

A boat with huge code 0 will never sail ddw when maximizing vmg. Thus no interference from boat behind on downwind legs, that isn't easy for the leading boat to avoid.

Sigh - remember A5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Xlot said:

Hi Basiliscus. Thinking of that emblematic picture of land yachts taken from above, where one could clearly see the dust vortexes at right angles to their heading. Was it you who posted it?...

I don't remember the photo to which you refer. 

However, I have observed the dust trails from landyachts, and they are a real revelation.  You can see the trail crabbing sideways as it drifts with the true wind.  At the same time, the yacht is laying down new dust along its course.  The combination of the yacht's speed and the drifting means the dust trail is aligned with the apparent wind vector.  From onboard, the dust trail simply trails back along the apparent wind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fast and boats? Fast and rockets! The fastest boats are slow compared to other modes of transportation. It can't simply be about pure speed.

What makes sporting events fun to watch: knowing that its possible for the one behind to suddenly overtake whoever is ahead.

Once the possibility to overtake is lost, interest is lost for the spectators.

What made the AC in San Francisco exciting was that the slightest error by the leader could always enable the trailing boat to pass. This was because foiling was barely possible, and crashes off the foils caused a sudden huge speed decrease for a few seconds, allowing hundred meter leads to evaporate almost instantly. Also, the large speed difference between upwind and downwind made the lead stretch and then compress, also adding intrigue even if not really meaningful: the leader at the weather mark would stretch out, giving the team and fans a reason to cheer, and at the leeward mark the opposite, giving the trailing team and fans a reason to get excited again.

Full, controlled foiling will be very boring, as the speed will be almost identical upwind and down and through all maneuvers, no crashes will ever happen, passing opportunities will not exist. Boring!

Planing boats, in partial planing conditions, can exhibit big speed changes depending on doing it right, vs doing it wrong.

Overpowered boats near their control limits can also be exciting to watch (and sail).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2017 at 11:35 PM, carcrash said:

Fast and boats? Fast and rockets! The fastest boats are slow compared to other modes of transportation. It can't simply be about pure speed.

What makes sporting events fun to watch: knowing that its possible for the one behind to suddenly overtake whoever is ahead.

Once the possibility to overtake is lost, interest is lost for the spectators.

What made the AC in San Francisco exciting was that the slightest error by the leader could always enable the trailing boat to pass. This was because foiling was barely possible, and crashes off the foils caused a sudden huge speed decrease for a few seconds, allowing hundred meter leads to evaporate almost instantly. Also, the large speed difference between upwind and downwind made the lead stretch and then compress, also adding intrigue even if not really meaningful: the leader at the weather mark would stretch out, giving the team and fans a reason to cheer, and at the leeward mark the opposite, giving the trailing team and fans a reason to get excited again.

Full, controlled foiling will be very boring, as the speed will be almost identical upwind and down and through all maneuvers, no crashes will ever happen, passing opportunities will not exist. Boring!

Planing boats, in partial planing conditions, can exhibit big speed changes depending on doing it right, vs doing it wrong.

Overpowered boats near their control limits can also be exciting to watch (and sail).

Scaled up 18foot skiffs anyone. :D? Now there's a thought.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good points, however, iirc, GD said in an interview with Clean that he was willing to exclude a boat that could could foil or fall down as it would not make a fair race.

But wants a slow procession of old monos for the sake of close match racing that may not even happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Nov 30th

But isn't a pre-preview foreseen (somewhere) around Nov.15?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had one leak already - see PB @ La Stampa ;)

Aren't the 'stakeholders' only getting the 2 (?) 'concept finalists' to comment on anyway, with the decision and the rule to follow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  ^ That would be on Nov 15. By Nov 30, it's supposed to be the final boat bar technicalities, I think

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at https://www.metro.news/ben-ainslie-is-determined-to-atone-in-2021/812017/

This year’s action caught the attention of millions of viewers worldwide with its high-octane and spectacular AC45 foiling catamarans which ‘flew’ above the water, but Ainslie is confident the changes will not spoil the spectacle.

‘It’ll [still] be exciting,’ he added. ‘Many people see it as a step back but the AC75 [the 2021 boat] will be like nothing we’ve seen before.

‘My understanding is the monohulls will be “flying” like the multihulls were. The weather conditions in the Southern Ocean are very changeable and that will make for an exciting event.’

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:40 AM, ~Stingray~ said:

at https://www.metro.news/ben-ainslie-is-determined-to-atone-in-2021/812017/

This year’s action caught the attention of millions of viewers worldwide with its high-octane and spectacular AC45 foiling catamarans which ‘flew’ above the water, but Ainslie is confident the changes will not spoil the spectacle.

‘It’ll [still] be exciting,’ he added. ‘Many people see it as a step back but the AC75 [the 2021 boat] will be like nothing we’ve seen before.

‘My understanding is the monohulls will be “flying” like the multihulls were. The weather conditions in the Southern Ocean are very changeable and that will make for an exciting event.’

This is no different from ETNZ acting all excited about the 50s.

He can hardly go on record saying I loved the 50s and these new boats are probably going to suck arse. Makes selling sponsorship a tad difficult.

‘I didn’t come back from Bermuda feeling much went our way in the luck stakes,’  - This is a silly comment. They didn't suffer any particularly bad luck, their boat just wasn't fast enough which was not unexpected given that they were a new team. Their first effort was certainly a LOT LOT better than Artemis' and just look where Artemis ended up this time around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, barfy said:

still, the "stakeholders" does piss me off a bit...glossary please

From what I've heard we should expect the designs to be in the public arena - stakeholders was not an attempt to obfuscate the fact that it was a limited group that will see it, it was simply a choice of words to describe availability to parties who have a keen interest, with no exclusions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, barfy said:

still, the "stakeholders" does piss me off a bit...glossary please

Its (NZ?) business-speak for 'who we want to know but definitely not the general public or anyone who may be negatively affected'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoom said:

Its (NZ?) business-speak for 'who we want to know but definitely not the general public or anyone who may be negatively affected'

Thought it was the rich guys at the after regatta BBQ.

The rest of us holding our bangers!! :D

Oh yeah, right. Different spelling.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoom said:

Its (NZ?) business-speak for 'who we want to know but definitely not the general public or anyone who may be negatively affected'

Nah again, from what I've heard whilst we might not expect an email sign-up form and dedicated website with countdown to 3d model with Oculus VR simulator support, there isn't any suggestion of secrecy and assumption it will be in public domain... after it has been announced on the 30th...

I could be wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

now: concepts to those who need to know - and comment

next: decision & rule to final form

30th: public announcement

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nav said:

30th: public announcement

Looking forward to Bertelli jumping the gun again :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nav said:

now: concepts to those who need to know - and comment

next: decision & rule to final form

30th: public announcement

30th of Nov?

i forgot my calendar...but wasn't the class rule due next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right - my memory is shot.....

 

this was published in various places at the end of September

 

Key dates:
November 30, 2017: AC75 Class concepts released to key stakeholders
January 1, 2018: Entries for Challengers open
March 31, 2018: AC75 Class Rule published
June 30, 2018: Entries for Challengers close
August 31, 2018: Location of the America’s Cup Match and The PRADA Cup confirmed
August 31, 2018: Specific race course area confirmed
December 31, 2018: Late entries deadline
March 31, 2019: Boat 1 can be launched
2nd half of 2019: 2 x America’s Cup World Series Preliminary Events
February 1, 2020: Boat 2 can be launched
During 2020: 3 x America’s Cup World Series Preliminary Events
December 10-20, 2020: America’s Cup Christmas Race
January and February 2021: The PRADA Cup Challenger Selection Series
March 2021: The America’s Cup Match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Xlot said:

Looking forward to Bertelli jumping the gun again :D

 

Me either since if anyone gets close enough to ask P$B questions (see Fabio Pozza’s big recent reveal) he very brashly says whatever the hell he wants to, completely oblivious to and/or uncaring of anything that might restrict his comments. The trick is access, which is very rare - maybe for even Max S, who may have another uphill battle coming over boats specs..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

 even Max S, who may have another uphill battle coming over boats specs..

he just has to paint it silver. it'll be grand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Why does having 2 classes of boat make sense? I just dont get it.

The original idea behind it, under Mark Turner, is to be a step towards multihulls in the VOR. I’m convinced it will happen at some point for many reasons, the only question is How Soon.

Cool that it’s still being pursued albeit delayed for a cycle or two. Foiling multihulls are the big future even offshore, no matter what P$B is forcing GD and AC36 into.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ~Stingray~ said:

The original idea behind it, under Mark Turner, is to be a step towards multihulls in the VOR. I’m convinced it will happen at some point for many reasons, the only question is How Soon.

Cool that it’s still being pursued albeit delayed for a cycle or two. Foiling multihulls are the big future even offshore, no matter what P$B is forcing GD and AC36 into.

Except foilers stuck in the ocean after shearing off a foil on a submerged shipping container might be a problem, no?

Other than that, I have no problem with multis because there is no prospect of match racing anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hoom said:

Notice the crew all lined up in a peloton ^_^

And the helmsman in their own little cockpit in the centre hull... that feels a little cheesy-open-wheel racer too me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rh2600 said:

And the helmsman in their own little cockpit in the centre hull... that feels a little cheesy-open-wheel racer too me...

That's not the helmsman, it's the guest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Terry Hollis said:

That's not the helmsman, it's the guest.

OK, then that is pretty cool :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Interesting, both rudder have the same kind of foils, the tip is up or down depending on whether it lifts or pulls.

VS40-Brochure8.jpg

^^ I see the Designer has made allowances in case BA is to drive one of these things. Big black rubber stoppers/shock absorbers stuck on the bows! 

Probably a wise move. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

^^ I see the Designer has made allowances in case BA is to drive one of these things. Big black rubber stoppers/shock absorbers stuck on the bows! 

Probably a wise move. ;)

I heard behind the grapevines it was cement dock proof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Fast boat!

VS40-Brochure5.jpg

Impossibly so.

At 7,5 knots of truewind, and twa of 40 degrees with code0 up (dashed green line on the polar), boatspeed is supposed to be about 15 knots, leading to 13 degrees apparent wind angle. The main problem is that the sheeting angle of code0 is more than that, the code0 sail is backwinded or flapping while providing such a great upwind performance.

 

In the renderings the shroud goes right through the code0 material, not behind the leech, neither does it stay either inside or outside of the sail. The sail is outside of shroud near head corner, and inside near foot, while significantly overlapping the shroud. It's pure magic! No wonder the shroud is left out from several renderings to hide that. The shroud connects to the hulls at the inside exterior face of hull sides forward from forward winch (page 14/15 on pdf, starboard hull), but usually not visible in renderings. The clew is almost touching the aft winch when fully sheeted in (page 5/15 on pdf, righthandside rendering), and foot is clearly inside shroud connection in that rendering.

The shroud could be connected significantly higher to the mast (even at the very top) than fractional code0 head in the renderings to partially solve the issue when sheeted in tight, thus sail always inside of shroud at all heights. But whenever sheet would need to be released in higher winds, the sail would bend around the shroud instead of flapping and reducing aerodynamic lift on VMG downwind heading. The result would be pichpoling or capsizing.

Performance wise the problem of sheeting angle only becomes real when code0 is really needed, and that is only in 5 knots truewindspeed based on provided polars. Perhaps higher clew with inhauler?

 

Edited by NotSoFast
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites