• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
markhunter1097

Crew commentary from the Clipper race

Anyone else find the race commentary from the Clipper race very bland and dull?

Well dive into the crew posts for some more interesting stuff, here is a post from a novice describing a kite drop, made me laugh 

https://www.clipperroundtheworld.com/crew-diary/unicef/race-2-day-3-punta-del-este-to-cape-town6

there must be some more that are a good read.

15 hours ago, markhunter1097 said:

Anyone else find the race commentary from the Clipper race very bland and dull?

I would expect it to be as interesting as the Blogs from people who pay huge amounts to get carried guided up Mount Everest. What is the point of achieving something like that for for yourself if you don't tell everyone about it?

I want to be a snarky asshole about all of this, but these people paid to go on an adventure that just so happens to involve racing sailboats.  All of this is new and strange to most of the crew.  So, while it may not be captivating stuff, I just don't think it's worthy of derision either.

Some good people and experienced sailors do the race. If you accept it for what it is (nerfed boats, silly race rules, below average sailor experience) it's a really cool way to get to sail around the world if you're the type of person who prefers pushing a boat for thousands of miles over pushing the anchor over at cocktail hour. Most people will never be able to do the Volvo or the IMOCA - outside of which there really aren't organized crewed races around the world besides the Clipper.  

Mark,  you are on perhaps the most cynical website in the world (one of its many charms).

The reaction you are getting is as good as it is going to get.

The two leading boats (Greenings & Dare to Lead) should finish in Cape Town at around midnight tonight. The skipper of Dare to Lead was the sailing manager at our club. He took a job at Clipper Ventures as a shore-based trainer earlier this year with the aim of skippering a boat in the following race. RKG threw him in the deep end just a few weeks before the race started by asking him to be skipper of DtL in this edition, after the original guy bailed.

So we'll be out there tonight cheering Dale into Cape Town, in either first or second place.   

9 hours ago, DtM said:

Mark,  you are on perhaps the most cynical website in the world (one of its many charms).

The reaction you are getting is as good as it is going to get.

I'm sure I can get better reactions than I have already, I'm disappointed really

In the meantime I'll continue to troll thru the Clipper site, and try to find some interesting posts to enlighten the cynical.

Greenings, winner of the first two legs, ran aground on the Cape Peninsula last night after starting Leg 3 in Cape Town. The crew were taken off the boat by the National Sea Rescue Institute and are all safe. The boat is hard aground and will be assessed this morning.

image1.png

On 10/18/2017 at 9:27 PM, markhunter1097 said:

I'm sure I can get better reactions than I have already, I'm disappointed really

In the meantime I'll continue to troll thru the Clipper site, and try to find some interesting posts to enlighten the cynical.

I don't think it is just being cynical (many of my friends have and still do work for clipper as skippers) its just that no one here is that interested. We all sail ourselves and its not like it is a real race like the Volvo. Personally I think they offer a pretty good product (the people I know who have done it have mixed experiences - some loved every minute and others asked for their money back) but apart from the clients family and friends, no one else really gives a shit.

Until one of them runs aground of course...

On 2017-10-19 at 4:31 PM, markhunter1097 said:

Good one--thanks for finding.

Agree with LB, mostly. Still interested though, but with the VOR, TJV and more, hard to keep up. I followed the crew blogs almost daily last time (a friend's brother-in-law was participating,  another Canadian Eric Holden was skipping, and to see if Sir Robin K-J's race might be an alternate way to develop more world-class skippers like Alex Thompson).

Hmmm. What happened to first Canadian female skipper Diane Reid ? Time to start bookmarking the daily winter reading lists :) 

Diane Reid is still around - she skippers Volvo 60s for Spartan Ocean Racing, ran an all-women's circumnavigation of the UK this summer on Pangaea Exploration's Challenge 72, and as far as I know has a fairly busy sailing schedule for the next year or so.

http://www.onegirlsoceanchallenge.com

• Like 1

14 hours ago, knucklehead said:

Greenings, winner of the first two legs, ran aground on the Cape Peninsula last night after starting Leg 3 in Cape Town. The crew were taken off the boat by the National Sea Rescue Institute and are all safe. The boat is hard aground and will be assessed this morning.

image1.png

No need to get sarcy here, it's easy enough to hit Africa.  They even seem to have left some of the sails up, that'll save time when the tide comes back in.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:16 PM, Miffy said:

another person's harmless pleasure. 

two dead last time, one boat already destroyed this time

10 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

two dead last time, one boat already destroyed this time

Ppl die constantly living their lives, whether driving to work, sailing at a lake, crossing the Pacific. We've seen at least 3 private pleasure yachts disappear in the Pacific crossing this year. 

So long as their choices aren't exposing others to undue risk, I don't see what the big deal is re ppl with money signing up to sail around the world. The Clipper thing gets mocked and shit on by the "cool kids" - but at the end of the day? Those folks made a conscious choice to try something harder than being shoreside - and actually try to be responsible while doing it. How many can say they've sailed from Brasil to South Africa, South Africa to Australia via the Southern Ocean?

• Like 1

The OP was giving us snippets of crew commentary during the race.

Wonder how the commentary went for this?

And Mif, you make a good point

6 minutes ago, DtM said:

The OP was giving us snippets of crew commentary during the race.

Wonder how the commentary went for this?

DT it is a bit hard to talk when your gagged