• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Editor

blooper time!

5 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

F.R.E.D. or Fred Again in that last shot SJB? Scary - but I recognize the sail number!

Fred Again - I owned & restored it 20+ years ago. That pic was taken when George owned it.

Defiantly use it.  Find out what your rating hit will be if any.  Besides, you will probably confuse most boats around you enough to sneak by them.  Learn how to fly it correctly and when to use it.  It will do you good.

9 hours ago, soling2003 said:

Defiantly use it.  Find out what your rating hit will be if any.  Besides, you will probably confuse most boats around you enough to sneak by them.  Learn how to fly it correctly and when to use it.  It will do you good.

Shouldn't cause a rating hit if it measures in.  "A blooper is a free-flying headsail."

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Fred Again - I owned & restored it 20+ years ago. That pic was taken when George owned it.

That's what I thought SJB but I couldn't remember which version it was. George was my Dentist way before I got involved with big boats. I lived a couple blocks off the Edgemont Village and his practice was very close to that.

For PHRF-NW you get a -3 penalty for using a streaker or blooper.   Sec. I 6 

ORR on bloopers. 

4.01 Bloopers.  The intent of this section is to allow bloopers on boat’s where they were once popular and in the way they were flown. If bloopers generate a pronounced speed benefit, that benefit will be properly assessed and rated in future versions of ORR. All of the following shall apply to boats rating with bloopers:   a)   Bloopers are only permitted on boats with an age or series date earlier than Jan 1, 1985. B)   Bloopers are only allowed on boats rated with a spinnaker pole, and not with a bowsprit. c)  Bloopers must measure in as a headsail, since two spinnakers cannot be flown at the same time other than when changing. The LP of the blooper shall not exceed 150% of rated J. The half width must be no greater than 50% of the foot. The luff of the blooper shall not exceed the luff of the largest headsail for which the boat is rated. The tack pennant for a blooper shall not exceed .076 meters (2.5 feet) and must be tacked aft of the forward end of J.  d)  The blooper shall be counted as headsail for purposes of the limit on number of headsails carried while racing. 

I understand the sail was called a Shooter in NZ.  The rumour I hear that it was named after one of the NZ Hood sailmaker's girlfriend.

Blooper was called the Tampa Bay Surfer in the mid-60s here. Credit has been given to Joe Byars for 'inventing' it, but Charley Morgan says he used one first, and Joe waited to copy him until after Charley successfully defended a protest against it in the SORC. It's probable the sail developed in several locations around the world, but I'm not aware of anywhere else using them in mid-60s when they were first used here. 

First I remember hearing about a Blooper/Shooter was the early '70s on Chris Bouzaid (spelling ?) one tonner in NZ.

Quest did pretty well that year. I worked for OH doing a bunch of mods to the boat...bumped the hull, lightened the cockpit, switched from wheel to tiller. A few years later, owner hit pay dirt winning IMS overall in SORC, in a Holland 40, OH skippering. Quest has been over in UK for 20+ years now, did well in CHannel Handicap.

2 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

photo from John Mac Towne ....1983 SORC Quest......check out the hole in the ocean it is carving...

blopper.jpg

Great photo.  The waterdozers were a blast to sail.  Put up everything, and dig bigger holes.  We didn't know any better.  Didn't make the boat much faster, but if it was even a little bit faster than the other guy, you won.

Happy times.

47 minutes ago, kmcfast said:

170% blooper on a MORC Morgan 27 worked great. 150% bloopers not so much...

150 bloopers worked fine, that's why they were ubiquitous. What killed bloopers were fractional rigs (where they lost most effectiveness), bouy races (pita to fuck with them on short course),  IOR dying out and replaced by handicap rules that didn't permit them (IMS and others), and offshore OD classes that either didn't allow them or had sail inventory restrictions. On old displacement hulls with MH rigs they still work well in PHRF racing....same with staysails.

• Like 1

Any suggestions on small boats that might have had them ?

Discussing a mizzen staysail with thoughts of a blooper like luff, to skirt the backstay, if I could borrow/buy one to play with, would give some idea  

Perusing Minneys and Bacon the only used seem to be bigger. 

Hoist ~22’ foot. >20, leech ~20

Hell Yes fly what you got.

As a the old ior  girls get rolling it's  time to look up at the main. Those skinny things want to take you for a ride when the top batten is ahead of the beam. The top of the main will vector the forces to weather inducing a weather roll. Vang it on or sheet the main in to stop the roll induced by the under trimmed main.

Aha yes the tall boy. Tack follows the pole just forward of it at all times. A bow mans job.

Theory was bloopers had more area then the mains. So get the main out the way. Reef it or take it down. Just sheet the main way in to fill the blooper. then let the main out.

Want to get your A Boat Game going learn the Lazy Daisy Jibe. Blooper flags sheet off / jibes out side the full chute as the chute jibes. 

Never blown up a blooper? Just put it up let n God take it down. 

Daisy jibe crosses halyards = much chafe. Only valid in a match racing scenario where you did not want to signal a upcoming jibe to the competition.

4 hours ago, longy said:

Daisy jibe crosses halyards = much chafe. Only valid in a match racing scenario where you did not want to signal a upcoming jibe to the competition.

Also useful when you already have wing halyards crossed from one too many spinnaker peels, and want to un-cross them without going up the rig. Of course this works only if your bowman has a good memory, otherwise you get a double-cross, and that's a large nightmare.

Don't ask me how I know this one.

4 hours ago, longy said:

Also much cooler in theory than in practice.   In real life its a LOT of screwing around.  The lazy blooper sheet WILL go under the boat.  Dont ask me how I know

In the end its much quicker to take ut down, gybe, and set it on the other side.  Plus you can use the blue halyard on both gybes while keeping it clear for the jib.