• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Guitar

Data Recovery

Well, waited too long to get that new computer and continued to work off an old laptop for my business and it took a big shit on all my files. Tech bringing over what he was able to save in a few minutes but concerned with what I lost. Anyone know someone to recover files? Got a quote of $400 for internal restoration / retrieval, $1k and up for dismantling drive and recovery.

16 minutes ago, Guitar said:

Well, waited too long to get that new computer and continued to work off an old laptop for my business and it took a big shit on all my files. Tech bringing over what he was able to save in a few minutes but concerned with what I lost. Anyone know someone to recover files? Got a quote of $400 for internal restoration / retrieval, $1k and up for dismantling drive and recovery.

try this and do the Happy Dance    https://www.seagate.com/services-software/recover/recovery-software/

HD should be connected as a USB-3 Drive

I was Farked and got a program from them a few years ago for $125 or so

Recovered EVERYTHING on a 4T HD

my drive was a seagate at the time But have used on WesternDigital HD too

get a cloning station to read the drive, then Clone your drives when up and running fine

Great place to start if you crash and burn

You are Welcome in Advance

https://www.icare-recovery.com/seagate-recovery/seagate-external-hard-disk-data-recovery.html

https://seagate-file-recovery.en.softonic.com/

You youngsters and your computers ... back in my day, "data recovery" meant paying the hooker a ransom of $20 and a bag of coke to have her give back the files she stole from your filling cabinet.

Woody, it's fried, old Gateway laptop so not too easy for me to access the hd, spins but no data transfer.  No local backup, we felt lucky. NOT.

Working off of a XP computer now, I know, I know. Building new box today with updated shit. Just got partial (4g) of files from about 40g needed.

Had a local geek work it. 19 days away from my biggest show of the year, SEMA. Don't need this shit. Just need to remake my handouts, oh yeah, no graphics.

Getting quote from Secure in Sacramento. I just really need one file off of it and I will be good to go. 

12 minutes ago, Guitar said:

Woody, it's fried, old Gateway laptop so not too easy for me to access the hd, spins but no data transfer.  No local backup, we felt lucky. NOT.

Working off of a XP computer now, I know, I know. Building new box today with updated shit. Just got partial (4g) of files from about 40g needed.

Had a local geek work it. 19 days away from my biggest show of the year, SEMA. Don't need this shit. Just need to remake my handouts, oh yeah, no graphics.

Getting quote from Secure in Sacramento. I just really need one file off of it and I will be good to go. 

crack the fucker open and pull out the HD ..................... EASY

what is the lappy worth ??

It's Only the Info AND as long as you are trying to access it through an OS and on and on You Have No chance

once out you just may find that the HD works Perfect

The OS dies sooner than the HD most of the time

Don't waste your time trying to save the lappy

Go get yer INFO and March On !!!

I Doubt GayWay EVER made any Lappy that didn't spit out the HD with a couple screws removed !!!!

laptop is outdated and not worth anything, tossing. I'll take a look at it over lunch. I love pulling shit apart.

*gasp* - Woody is right.  Open it up and pull the hard-drive.  The first thing to try that is easy is grab one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-Adapter-Converter-External/dp/B00BIE996S/ref=sr_1_3?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1507838142&sr=8-3&keywords=USB+2.0+to+IDE%2FSerial+ATA+Drive

And see if you can plug it into a normal computer usb slot.

tiny Philips screwdriver is yer friend

square plate on bottom just bigger than a Lappy HD (2 screws / 4 at most)

5 min if you count the time to go get and open a Beer

and drink most of it

first

Dennis was on target, easy peasy to pull and I'll be headed to Fry's Electronics to get the converter hardware to hook up to the new computer. Got an older motherboard that I bought last year to build on. Gigabyte Z87-DS3H and adding a I5 processor. 

Grrr, order above. Thanks. Will give it a try before spending the big bucks to recover files.

Brain dead when I posted about pulling the hd. I build shit for a living and love tearing shit apart. Duh.

pick up one of these at fryes  https://express.google.com/product/16300065808104555241_5669002823315054961_6136318?mall=Rockies2&directCheckout=1&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx&dclid=COzqqab969YCFREXYgod7yEPLQ

It will allow you to use old HD as a thumbdrive

Or allow you to recover crap if HD did have issues

Truly a MUST have if you want to prevent future loss of anything on yer HD including OS

Get pc running properly ....... pull HD & Clone

put HD back and have fun

put clone in safe place

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

crack the fucker open and pull out the HD ..................... EASY

what is the lappy worth ??

It's Only the Info AND as long as you are trying to access it through an OS and on and on You Have No chance

once out you just may find that the HD works Perfect

The OS dies sooner than the HD most of the time

Don't waste your time trying to save the lappy

Go get yer INFO and March On !!!

I Doubt GayWay EVER made any Lappy that didn't spit out the HD with a couple screws removed !!!!

I think Woody is saying " buy a case/housing " for you hard drive. Remove the HD from your laptop/computer and install it on the new.remote housing.  Buy a new laptop then connect the two via USB. I have done that twice in the last 8 years when laptop OS died.

I've had some luck putting the drive in the freezer for 15 minutes to get it extra cool, then running it as an external drive upside down.  I managed to get quite a bit of data off a drive that was in bad shape this way.  YMMV. 

10 hours ago, Guitar said:

Good luck.

People always bitch about how expensive IT stuff is, but it pales compared to the expenses which rack up if you really need something rescued.

A stitch in time saves 9.

6 hours ago, warbird said:

I think Woody is saying " buy a case/housing " for you hard drive. Remove the HD from your laptop/computer and install it on the new.remote housing.  Buy a new laptop then connect the two via USB. I have done that twice in the last 8 years when laptop OS died.

wad I waz sain

Follow this advice EXACTLY

pick up one of these at fryes  https://express.google.com/product/16300065808104555241_5669002823315054961_6136318?mall=Rockies2&directCheckout=1&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx&dclid=COzqqab969YCFREXYgod7yEPLQ

Truly a MUST have if you want to prevent future loss of anything on yer HD including OS

put HD back and have fun

put clone in safe place

the docking station you end up with is GOLD for preventing future problems !!!!!!!

On 10/12/2017 at 10:41 PM, DA-WOODY said:

wad I waz sain

Follow this advice EXACTLY

put HD back and have fun

put clone in safe place

the docking station you end up with is GOLD for preventing future problems !!!!!!!

well so what happened ?????

1 hour ago, Guitar said:

Waiting on processor from Amazon.

Must be nice to not have a few PCz around the house

Unless ya need another one

You just "might" find while booting up after connecting old HD by USB

That the PC that's running finds errors in old HD and corrects them

You then could put it back in yer lappie and have it working just fine

Unless you smashed it to get the HD out :-O

33 minutes ago, Guitar said:

No joy. Spins up but doesn't show up on my computer.  Bugger.

did you buy the unit I suggested ?:?:

if so I might be able to offer help 

1 hour ago, Guitar said:

Got the setup Grrr suggested. Just ordered new Acer. Fuck it.

you settle for USB-2 and a single slot w no cloning 

to save $20

fuck it indeed :o

cheep- - cheep- - cheep- cheep

at best ya get what ya pay for <_<

46 minutes ago, Guitar said:

No joy. Spins up but doesn't show up on my computer.  Bugger.

if you really think its dead you quit too easy

did you connect it "Before" starting the main PC ??

ask your friends if they have a kid that can do it for you

odd's are it's Not dead

there is a reason data recovery is so expencive

same as riding a bus costs More than flying 500miles

They know you just won't do it

not that you couldn't if you put a little more into trying

Ok, I was working of my old XP machine so didn't want to spend too much time on it. Got me a new Acer machine just booted up so I will work harder at this. Picked it up at Amazon for FREE spending some of my AMX points. 7th gen processor 8g ram.

Just reloading all my software and cleaning out the computer closet at the same time, boy do I have a lot of shit cables and attachments to get rid of.

So, how do you get the condensation to not build up on the hd once you pull it from the freezer and will this affect the outcome?

I'll try starting it at startup on the new computer first then use the freezer option. 

28 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Ok - you have one more thing to try.  The read head may be stuck.

https://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

I've actually done this twice - it works.  Sometimes.

1. Place the hard drive inside of a zip top freezer bag. (don't buy a cheap bag.)

Ha - doesn't stand a chance ;)

6 minutes ago, Guitar said:

So, how do you get the condensation to not build up on the hd once you pull it from the freezer and will this affect the outcome?

put a chunk of Dri-Ice in the bag to keep it Dry !!!

hasn't listened to me yet so ..................................... 

So now I need to get some dry ice, bag it with the drive in two bags, then pull it from the freezer, hook it to the computer that is shut off, boot computer and bango tango, we have refreshed drive?

Do I need to get a rubber chicken to swing over my head at the same time?

35 minutes ago, Guitar said:

So now I need to get some dry ice, bag it with the drive in two bags, then pull it from the freezer, hook it to the computer that is shut off, boot computer and bango tango, we have refreshed drive?

You know you have to be naked as well.......................

I think I still have the chicken from resetting my dash warning lights on the Chevy...

just finished reloading Quickbooks, Google Earth, my office suite is outdated so I'll have to get fresh. The more I load, the more I realize how many files I lost. Got two, count them, two external backups that I plan to use daily.

There, just did my first back up and have it set to continuous...

Now to crack that drive and get the other files..dry ice eh? Wonder where I can get a small chunk for this experiment.

1 hour ago, Guitar said:

No hook it all up and put lappie an HD while running

in a cherp bag filled w Dry Ice and put in freezer for 48 hrs

Take out and smack on granit countertop  untill you see 2 HDs

Then rince in hot water ... let cool and bury outside where the raccoons can find

They are just as likely to get the data back

Take Pix

45 minutes ago, Guitar said:

Now to crack that drive and get the other files..dry ice eh? Wonder where I can get a small chunk for this experiment.

Do Not take advice from anyone you didnt take advice from

At this point that's the best advice i have to offer

I was looking at the circuitry on the outside of the drive and the condensation.

Wife's friendly IT guy at work is going to take a crack at it before I completely destroy it. Love the new Acer.