mad

Middle Sea race

7 hours ago, dachopper said:

The race was 70% upwind, and it still beat the cookson 50 which is  4 feet longer... pretty dam good if you ask me...

If the race favoured DSS it would have obliterated a lot more, including the Botin 65 based on the last two legs

What is faster under 46 feet ?

I'm all for your race boat to be all out racer, but there wouldn't be many 45-50'rs around that have as little accom as Maverick (CAREEK 47, HH42, Melges 40 aside) so yes it's fast but apples with apples a C50 is a cruise liner by comparison down below. Standing headroom, TWO lounges etc. 

I heard a good rumour that the position the foils exit the hull on CQS is wrong resulting in bad helm balance & drag. 

4 hours ago, bayboy said:

CQS needs to Chop the wings off and get a bigger rig should make it go faster

They need the wings to support the mast. 

On an another note, very impressive sailing by crusader. Hope they have some video footage. Also, Russians doing well. The jpk 10.80 seems to be winning overall

16 hours ago, SCANAS said:

I'm all for your race boat to be all out racer, but there wouldn't be many 45-50'rs around that have as little accom as Maverick (CAREEK 47, HH42, Melges 40 aside) so yes it's fast but apples with apples a C50 is a cruise liner by comparison down below. Standing headroom, TWO lounges etc. 

Scanas.... you remind me of my old man.

He refused to get a fast race yacht because all they are good for is racing and he wanted to cruise, then after owning it for 5 to 10 years, all he ever did was race. 

I've got to say, I ALMOST choked on my hat when I saw the price of the infinity..... cheaper to buy the maxi Lahana and a full new set of sails, + club fees for a few years I think.

..... Shuddering at the thought of what the Farr 53 would cost.... 2.5  - 3 mill australian?

http://www.farryachtsales.com/sales/production

On 10/24/2017 at 4:13 PM, Miffy said:

Might be a controversial unpopular opinion - but CQS can be fixed. It did good rounding New Zealand when she first came out of the yard, WITHOUT THE DSS stuff. Without the DSS, she's a narrow long seaworthy boat with a 100ft and 10 ton keel. I thought it did this race without the DSS because they're under redesign/redevelopment.

Part of the problem is the boat is fundamentally about as beamy as a 40ft French planing hull - with a 10 ton keel. Once they figure out the DSS, need to ditch the keel weight. Or alternatively, ditch the DSS gear and be a better all arounder.

I like your optimism, but she’s a turd. I love that the owner gave it a shot at refitting an older maxi, but let’s be serious. It was a cool experiment, but someone’s throwing good money after bad if they think it’ll be competitive. 

The problem I have with Maverick is that it' seems seriously compromised when the conditions aren't suitable, in my opinion the base boat sucks as for the first half of the race they couldn't keep up with a clubswan 42 and were consistently outperformed by the 9 year old Ker 46 Tonnerre. They can bitch and moan about irc but for starters try beating conventional boats of the same length or shorter

Horses for courses is all - Ker 46 is an excellent upwind and downwind boat in light to medium conditions, reaching it sucks, downhill in a breeze too. Maverick sails 7-8 crew max and only wants to do the big offshores, so thats what it does and very effectively.  2 MSR races and been top spots in both, TransAtlantic too.  So MSR they beat home a lot of supposedly quicker and bigger boats too. So whats the problem with that?  If that's what the guy wants to do then he's got the boat to do it, if you only want to go indoor sailing and w/l racing then there are loads of boats optimised to do just that.

Both the 72s retired - got to say you should have a problem with that when something that size can't deal with a bit of weather and they didn't want to do the bermuda race either - I would suggest that class needs to take a bit of a look at itself.

10 hours ago, Monkey said:

I like your optimism, but she’s a turd. I love that the owner gave it a shot at refitting an older maxi, but let’s be serious. It was a cool experiment, but someone’s throwing good money after bad if they think it’ll be competitive. 

It certainly could be improved but not to be competitive with the best 100's in the world. She was beaten over the line by Hugo Boss and the race was a fair bit upwind. She averages the performance of a Volvo 70 yet she is 98-100 feet long. There was plenty of light stuff early in the Middle sea race and she didn't light up there either. 

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, terrafirma said:

CQS still sailing, they are officially a 70-80 foot performance boat with 100 feet of length. 

Which is why they chose to miss the ship to get back to Sydney for the S2H !!!

and why she is simply a dog

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

It certainly could be improved but not to be competitive with the best 100's in the world. She was beaten over the line by Hugo Boss and the race was a fair bit upwind. She averages the performance of a Volvo 70 yet she is 98-100 feet long. There was plenty of light stuff early in the Middle sea race and she didn't light up there either. 

Should have sold it & Bought Genuine Risk / Rags 90. 

10 hours ago, terrafirma said:

The Hugo Boss team actually sailed this race very well, at least compared to what they did in Fastnet. Maybe the two extra pair of arms helped