Sign in to follow this  
sculpin

Yanmar / Kanzaki (sp?) transmission - won't come out of reverse

Yanmar 3GM, Kanzaki transmission, Kiwi prop

So my transmission, when the engine is running, will not come out of reverse without a lot of force - enough force that I usually end up putting it in forward, can't stop in time. 

When the engine isn't running it shifts in/out easily, as normal.  Linkage is smooth, not loose.  Forward is fine.  No noise or noticeable vibration.   Had the cones lapped 6 years ago as it wouldn't grab in forward, no issues 'til now.

Plan is to haul for the winter soon, at which point I will get it pulled and looked at, but before then I figure I should ask if there are any things I should check?

let's start with the easy ones:

Have you disconnected the cable and shifted it by hand at the gearbox? 

Have you checked the gear oil for correct level, burnt odor, etc?

If you disconnect the cable at the gearbox end, how does the lever feel?

Sometimes if you take the locking switch off, pull the engine forward, then re-latch it the gear engages better. Some engines have a mechanism that stops you from being able to put it into reverse without the latch being on, but it can stick and confuse itself.

disconnected and shifted by hand, no - I will do that.

gear oil - level is good, no leaks, didn't sniff it.

Terror - what locking switch?

This symptom is almost always a bent Morse cable at one end or the other. It often happens when the screw holding the clamp that secures the cable sheath loosens and falls out.

You figure it out by disconnecting the morse cable from the transmission and verifying the shifting is easy at the transmission by hand. Then start to study your cable, which is tricky up inside the pedestal. Most often, the right approach if the transmission shifts easily at the lever is to simply replace the morse cable and not bother to ask why.

Hmm...  well, I love your diagnosis, I will have a look at that.  Cable is much easier than a transmission rebuild.

OK, so Zonker and Moonduster totally called it - I replaced the cable.  The old one felt OK by hand but man is that deceiving because with a new cable I can shift in/out of gear with a finger.  Sweet!

I will admit I was apprehensive, thinking "fuck, I hope I don't kick myself for not rebuilding the transmission over the winter".

Thanks!