hmsmweasel

il mostro attempting chi-mac speed run record

12 hours in with under 100 NM DTF.  Currently doing 20 kts boat speed not too far from the north, mid-Lake buoy which is currently reporting SW winds @ 22-27 kts. & 6.6 foot waves.

Sending it!  

What’s this speed record entitle them too?

a special fudge vagina they can all jerk off into?

Rich guy waits for wind to blow, sets sailing masterbation record.

30 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

There's lots of speed records out there, transatlantic, around the world, etc. This is setting up one more to the list.

Good on them for sending it while it's blowing. But, yeah, Pyewacket set the current record during a race and didn't get to pick their weather window.

Meh. Are they just sailing there or are they following course established by the Chi-Mac race? I assume the draft on Il Mostro means they have to sail through the channel at Grey's Reef anyway. 

What next? Sydney Hobart in June? 

4 hours ago, sunseeker said:

Ummm, because it super goddamn fun.  That seems offensive to you somehow.  Remember this sailing thing is supposed to be fun.

4 hours ago, sunseeker said:

Says someone who definitely never set a record.  Plenty of poor bastards on that big girl too, and plenty of anarchists. We'll have some details tonight.

Reference: 

The race course runs 333 mi (536 km). Steve Fossett set the overall race record, 18 hours, 50 minutes, in 1998 with the multihull yacht, Stars and Stripes. Roy E. Disney set the monohull record, 23 hours, 30 minutes, in Pyewacket in 2002. 

i'm pretty sure those are the outrights for another few minutes, though I wonder if Il Mostro's supermac time from Chi-Mac would beat Pye's.

I think they've got it.  They left at 17:39:57 (I'm assuming Chicago time) which means they need to cross the line by 13:29:57 CT/14:29:57 ET.  And they're just a few minutes out.  Crushing an amazing 60 foot open AC catamaran's record in a decade old V70 full of Midwestern crew.  I'm digging it.

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 12.41.01 PM.png

Congratulations Il Mostro!

(17:39:??) set by Peter Thornton and Chris Thornton record for monohulls 2017. Average 16.36 knots per hour.

(18:50:32) set by the late Steve Fossett record finish for multihulls with Stars and Stripes in 1998.  Average 15.3 knots per hour.

(23:30:24) set by the late Roy Disney record finish for monohulls with Pyewacket in 2002.  Average 12.3 knots per hour.

Near the Start photo (photographer Tim Devore) roughly 6:30pm Central Time 10/16/2017.

Crew:
1. Peter Thornton
2. Justin Slattery
3. Artie Means
4. Deane Tank
5. Greg Fordon
6. Freddie Shanks
7. Brian Torrenson
8. Jack Jennings
9. Chris Higgins
10. Phil Trinter
11. Gary Murino
12. Chris Thornton
13. Mike Rehe
14. Roc Roney

22520186_1783542641945449_34726033053299

Mackinac bridge (www.mackinacbridge.org) at roughly 11:20am Central Time 10/17/2017.

22520266_1783554241944289_72969593565324

Chippewa Hotel Cam

image.png.e99971f820dc630bb81e9f7ce2b39a77.png

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Reference: 

The race course runs 333 mi (536 km). Steve Fossett set the overall race record, 18 hours, 50 minutes, in 1998 with the multihull yacht, Stars and Stripes. Roy E. Disney set the monohull record, 23 hours, 30 minutes, in Pyewacket in 2002. 

i'm pretty sure those are the outrights for another few minutes, though I wonder if Il Mostro's supermac time from Chi-Mac would beat Pye's.

Well it's 289 nM in normal sailing speak.

I am not sure what outright record (if any other than the ones mentioned above set during normal racing) there might be out there.  Seems unlikely that IM have been the first one to gun at the outright record

39 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

So Phil Trinter finishes up 5 days of sailing at the J70 NAs on Sunday in Rye NY then jumps over to Chicago to bust out an extra 333 miles for fun.....

Hey, nice little down winder listening to Bob Marley  from Chi Town and cocktails at the Grand - what's not to like

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Reference: 

How can this record SETTING run knock off either Stars and Stripes or Pyewacket? Neither had the choice of weather or when to start. Not saying this wouldn't have been a lot of fun. 

2 minutes ago, ScowLover said:

This means they hold the course record, not the race record. 

So if it took them 7 days to finish, would they still hold the Course Record?

1 hour ago, YoMomma said:

Ummmm. NO.

Also... where are the obligatory mammary photos etc? Fuck off NOOB!

From Il Mostro FB Page:

" We are still waiting for official word as to the finish time. However, word from the navigator, Artie Means, is that Il Mostro finished their run from Chicago to Mackinac in an (unofficial) elapsed time of 18 hours, 0 minutes and 23 seconds. "

1 hour ago, ajbram said:

Ummmm. NO.

Also... where are the obligatory mammary photos etc? Fuck off NOOB!

Explain why not. Who else has attempted it? And why should I “Fuck off”, I simply asked a question? 

29 minutes ago, YoMomma said:

And why should I “Fuck off”, I simply asked a question? 

Because, that's the noob greeting protocol, along with the obligatory boobs pics.  Not yours tho' 

3 hours ago, YoMomma said:

How can this record SETTING run knock off either Stars and Stripes or Pyewacket? Neither had the choice of weather or when to start. Not saying this wouldn't have been a lot of fun. 

And Bingo was his name.

It is exactly the same as riding your bike downwind  and then bragging about your average speed.  Total BS.  

6 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Congratulations Il Mostro!

(17:39:??) set by Peter Thornton and Chris Thornton record for monohulls 2017. Average 16.36 knots per hour.

(18:50:32) set by the late Steve Fossett record finish for multihulls with Stars and Stripes in 1998.  Average 15.3 knots per hour.

(23:30:24) set by the late Roy Disney record finish for monohulls with Pyewacket in 2002.  Average 12.3 knots per hour.

Near the Start photo (photographer Tim Devore) roughly 6:30pm Central Time 10/16/2017.

Crew:
1. Peter Thornton
2. Justin Slattery
3. Artie Means
4. Deane Tank
5. Greg Fordon
6. Freddie Shanks
7. Brian Torrenson
8. Jack Jennings
9. Chris Higgins
10. Phil Trinter
11. Gary Murino
12. Chris Thornton
13. Mike Rehe
14. Roc Roney

22520186_1783542641945449_34726033053299

Mackinac bridge (www.mackinacbridge.org) at roughly 11:20am Central Time 10/17/2017.

22520266_1783554241944289_72969593565324

Chippewa Hotel Cam

image.png.e99971f820dc630bb81e9f7ce2b39a77.png

Out of respect for number 7, check your spelling.  

I raced with him in KW in '96 and it sucked being a 39yo man knowing that this 21yo kid was that much better.  Sucked!

8 hours ago, Slim said:

Meh. Are they just sailing there or are they following course established by the Chi-Mac race? I assume the draft on Il Mostro means they have to sail through the channel at Grey's Reef anyway. 

What next? Sydney Hobart in June? 

Tough to do that time of year methinks

Hey this is good news for them and good for sailing! Can't we just say congratulations and enjoy the accomplishment?

For the Debbie Downers out there, here is precedent: there is a TransAtlantic Race which has a record time associated with it. There is also a trans-Atlantic record time just for sailing across. Many of the holders of the latter waited in NY harbor and started from Sandy Hook when they could ride a low pressure system across. Seems analogous to this current situation. No one has complained about either record, or the sailors or the boats to my knowledge.....

5 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Because, that's the noob greeting protocol, along with the obligatory boobs pics.  Not yours tho' 

At least we know he's not a sock.  Or is he?

11 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Average 16.36 knots per hour.

Without sounding too pedantic, 'Knots per hour' is a measure of acceleration.  I think we all know what you mean though...

Whatever your opinion on records set outside of the race, that would've been a fun ride!

4 hours ago, sail2win said:

For the Debbie Downers out there, here is precedent: there is a TransAtlantic Race which has a record time associated with it. There is also a trans-Atlantic record time just for sailing across. 

And Transpac (Phaedo 3 and Lending Club 2 both set it, outside of the race) and multi's breaking a S2H course record, etc. And round the world records, which most often don't come in a race. Sailing from point A to point B faster than anyone in history is always cool. 

stoked to see Il Mostro go out and break this record!!!

Kudos to Il Mostro and crew for setting this record in quite grand fashion.  Anyone who has sailed this course, during the #cycracetomackinac or not, knows how tough of an accomplishment this truly is. 

Sailing under the Mackinac Bridge less than 18 hours after you leave Chicago is fucking sending it!  Well done, men.  Well done. 

17 hours ago, YoMomma said:

No...then the fastest time in the race would still be the fastest time up the course. 

Race record / course record - who cares?  Its still fun to see how fast they could sail in big breeze from Chicago to the Pink Pony.  If it was my boat, I would do the same thing.  I bet it was a lot of fun.

Just now, Peter Askew said:

Race record / course record - who cares?  Its still fun to see how fast they could sail in big breeze from Chicago to the Pink Pony.  If it was my boat, I would do the same thing.  I bet it was a lot of fun.

22knts at 2AM?? Must have been a riot!

GREAT job and awesome sailing for the course record that is not during the race!  Now it is Arete's turn!

Great job by the Il Mostro team!!

Setting a course record outside the race on a Great Lakes course, I can see that there's some haters to the idea, but I like it!  I'm interested what courses are next.  Trans Superior, Erie or Ontario?  Cove Island course?  Super Mac?  North Channel??!?!

Ok. that last one is a bit frivolous.  But anyone who's done that race can't honestly say they've driven down Lakeshore on a day with perfect conditions and thought to themselves that they could get around that course in record time.

Hopefully these types of efforts catch on. IYAC has had one for a few years for the around Jamestown record and it is pretty damn cool. Obviously a little more formal than this attempt but enough where people take their shots once in a while and there is an interested group of people to see how they do. All of it adds up to more boats doing boat stuff... which is not a bad thing.

IYAC awesomeness here: http://iyacnewport.com/2016-mount-gay-rum-around-jamestown-record-recognizes-outstanding-sailors-and-record-breaking-times/

Now who's to say the TP52's can't take a crack at this, given a slightly improved weather window...  NJ, HB -top an average speed of 325.07 inches per second; possible....

It would be fun as hell to miss the record by a few hundred thousand milliseconds.. Put me down for some of that action. 

In 2000, the trip from Mackinac to Chicago was crazy fast.  Does anyone know if the sleds were faster than this run?  And before any purists jump on me, it was a SuperMac and I'm only talking about the second half.  

Glenn, no worries.  

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

In 2000, the trip from Mackinac to Chicago was crazy fast.  Does anyone know if the sleds were faster than this run?  And before any purists jump on me, it was a SuperMac and I'm only talking about the second half.  

Glenn, no worries.  

hmmmm... That would be a good question for the Nitemare gang...

14 minutes ago, blubberboy said:

hmmmm... That would be a good question for the Nitemare gang...

Pat carried around the o-ring from the chute which had become a d-ring.  Fun times.  

On 10/17/2017 at 3:00 PM, YoMomma said:

Venn diagrams for you!

23 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Glenn, no worries.  

That run was over 24 hours for the sleds. We went by the island just at dawn and hit Chicago the next day an hour or 2 after the sun came up. Would of been faster but the big breeze didn't come in until we were south of the islands. Just a tight jib reach until the breeze shifted. That night was absolutely epic. Full moon showed us the way home all night.

On October 18, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Glenn McCarthy said:

Hey Blubberboy - Remember when Ellison brought Sayanora in for the Chi Mac and missed the elapsed record by 2 minutes?

Glenn, check my memory.  But didn't somebody on Sayonara slam the microphone down after saying something not too nice.  I could have sworn they were dropped until cooler heads prevailed.  

7 minutes ago, fetzer24 said:

That run was over 24 hours for the sleds. We went by the island just at dawn and hit Chicago the next day an hour or 2 after the sun came up. Would of been faster but the big breeze didn't come in until we were south of the islands. Just a tight jib reach until the breeze shifted. That night was absolutely epic. Full moon showed us the way home all night.

For us, it was a beat to Gray's  and once there, a chute until the finish.  Epic isn't a strong enough word. 

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Glenn, check my memory.  But didn't somebody on Sayonara slam the microphone down after saying something not too nice.  I could have sworn they were dropped until cooler heads prevailed.  

Never heard anything on that.

After the race they put Sayanora in the shed at Eldeans.  As Donation Chair of LMSRF, each year I would call or write asking if Larry would donate the boat to LMSRF.  A mutual friend explained to me, "Forget it. Larry has bought more stuff around the world, including homes that he'll never visit a second time, that takes a team of lawyers to keep track of.  Sayanora to him is like you dropping a penny behind your couch." 

Eventually Sayanora went to San Francisco for the AC and put on display, once San Fransisco was done, Larry had the boat chopped up and sent to the dump.  Farr 80, no small boat!

Record needs a *WOBB

*WithOut BlubberBoy 

Still Kool But ........................

On 10/17/2017 at 7:17 PM, Swabbie said:

Yawn.   I bet a guy in an ice boat breaks the 'record'  in a few months. 

Ice boaters - Where are you?  

1 hour ago, Lucky Dog said:

Ice boaters - Where are you?  

Many of us sail ice boats in the region, but I've never heard of iceboats being sailed on lake michigan.   Little traverse bay (part of lake mi, but protected) YES but never on the big lake; it's never been smooth enough.    But- imagine a 5-hour Chicago-Mac.  That would be painful in any iceboat.

7 minutes ago, 1sailor said:

Many of us sail ice boats in the region, but I've never heard of iceboats being sailed on lake michigan.  

You owned my favorite boat of all time.  Don't rush on a response.   

Why so slow? I mean a 16 knot average after selecting a good weather windows shorter than 24 hours doesn't sound too impressive to me. Has Arete given this a try as well?

What is special about that course? Sea state? Evil water gnomes or mermaids?

Paul

10 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

You owned my favorite boat of all time.  Don't rush on a response.   

Groan...

On 10/17/2017 at 4:56 PM, YoMomma said:

Explain why not. Who else has attempted it? And why should I “Fuck off”, I simply asked a question? 

What Scow Lover already said. Course record is not necessarily exclusive of race record. 

39 minutes ago, ajbram said:

What Scow Lover already said. Course record is not necessarily exclusive of race record. 

Point A to Point 2 Record, is not necessarily exclusive of Course record

3 hours ago, blubberboy said:

Can anyone check to see if the boys had a GoPro on board? Yeah, mostly night sailing, but the bits when the sun came up might be of interest... 

There were a few cameras and GoPros going. I'd think some stuff will start making the rounds soon.

The morning was still pretty fast but the gnarly action was all going down in what seemed like endless darkness.

Not a lot of FB action since the finish.  I would love to hear some details about the ride.  I was going to work on Monday eve. and saw them from LSD at heading North about the Harrison/Dever crib.  Congrats on the record.  Pretty cool. 

Jack Jennings wrote eloquently on Facebook:

Thank you to everyone that followed and commented on the Chicago Mac Race record. This one was for my Dad who held the record from 1987 to 2002. I was lucky and grew up sailing on a record breaking boat with my dad and his great crew of successful friends and sailors. I had always dreamed of setting a new record to honor that opportunity. Thank you to Peter and Chris Thornton for having the vision to make something like this possible. Il Mostro is the first boat to hold the elapse time record for the Bayview Mac Race The TranSuperior race and the Chicago Mac Race. In addition the time of 18 hours 0 minutes and 23 seconds is faster than any sailing vessel has ever sailed the course - multi or monohull. I also think its the first time a two family members have broken the same sailing record separated by 30 years. When my dad broke the 76 year old record in 1987 it inspired other sailors to bring Santa Cruz 70s to the great lakes. It inspired the race organizers to lift the handicap limit in the race so over time newer and faster designs could compete for the record, it improved the quality of sailing on the great lakes for everyone for years to come. This is what true originals do they break records, start new traditions and inspire others to follow suit. I hope that the next great boat and team comes to take a shot at the record sooner rather than later In the mean time that's for you dad, We beat the clock 18 hours 23 seconds…..

1 hour ago, fetzer24 said:

There were a few cameras and GoPros going. I'd think some stuff will start making the rounds soon.

The morning was still pretty fast but the gnarly action was all going down in what seemed like endless darkness.

Good on ya, BT.  It must have been a giggle!  Was it a wet ride?

15 hours ago, Tronner said:

Good on ya, BT.  It must have been a giggle!  Was it a wet ride?

It was wet at times but not the fire hose that you think it would be. Very little spray made it to the very back of the bus. But that being said there was lots of standing water coming over the deck, you'd often be in the back of the cockpit standing in 6 inch deep water. Spinnaker trimmer was typically the guy getting hammered as we were the only guys outboard in front of the wheels. 

After we gybed and set the A3 in the morning things got a little gnarly. The sea state was huge and our angle into it was rough with the right shift and the reaching kite. Jack was trimming the kite when we barreled into the backside of a monster. I ducked my head for a wall of water flying down the boat, we were pretty steadily hitting mid to upper twenties on the speedo at this time, when I looked back up Jack had been washed from his spot and was packed on the cockpit floor in between the steering wedge  and the cockpit wall still holding onto the sheet. In typical Jack fashion he calmly says "A little help here?". Pretty funny shit bombing at 28 knots.

I think this is awesome. A lot of us have wanted to see what Il Mostro could do if she ever got her conditions. Question answered. 

Would’ve been funnier to send the Peerless instead!

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:39 PM, Glenn McCarthy said:

Thank you to everyone that followed and commented on the Chicago Mac Race record. This one was for my Dad who held the record from 1987 to 2002. I was lucky and grew up sailing on a record breaking boat with my dad and his great crew of successful friends and sailors. I had always dreamed of setting a new record to honor that opportunity. Thank you to Peter and Chris Thornton for having the vision to make something like this possible. Il Mostro is the first boat to hold the elapse time record for the Bayview Mac Race The TranSuperior race and the Chicago Mac Race. In addition the time of 18 hours 0 minutes and 23 seconds is faster than any sailing vessel has ever sailed the course - multi or monohull. I also think its the first time a two family members have broken the same sailing record separated by 30 years. When my dad broke the 76 year old record in 1987 it inspired other sailors to bring Santa Cruz 70s to the great lakes. It inspired the race organizers to lift the handicap limit in the race so over time newer and faster designs could compete for the record, it improved the quality of sailing on the great lakes for everyone for years to come. This is what true originals do they break records, start new traditions and inspire others to follow suit. I hope that the next great boat and team comes to take a shot at the record sooner rather than later In the mean time that's for you dad, We beat the clock 18 hours 23 seconds…..

I believe Earth Voyager still holds the actual Trans Superior record, Ill Mostro the monohull record.

On 10/20/2017 at 1:39 PM, Glenn McCarthy said:

... Il Mostro is the first boat to hold the elapse time record for the Bayview Mac Race The TranSuperior race and the Chicago Mac Race. ....

10 hours ago, Swabbie said:

Dosnt Pyewacket still hold the race record? 

Yeah, that stuck in my craw too. Kudos to them for a great achievement, but I think we can all agree that a RACE record (as opposed to a COURSE) record does imply certain additional constraints.