• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Editor

lost at sea?

I have been reading about this latest “crisis” to befall the Volvo Ocean Race, formerly known as the Whitbread Round the World Race, and can only smile. Yup the VOR has finally grown up; the suits are “officially” in charge.

OK for those that have not been following a couple of things. The Volvo Ocean Race bills itself, and rightly so, as the preeminent fully crewed offshore ocean race and the 13th edition is about to set sail from Alicante, Spain this weekend. With just over a week to go to the start of the race one of the teams, Team AkzoNobel, decided that it was a swell idea to can it’s skipper. Can, as in fire him, or to put it in PR-speak, he was ‘invited to stay on but declined.’

The (former) skipper is the Dutch sailor Simeon Tienpont who has participated in two previous VOR races and has also been part of a winning America’s Cup team. Clearly the guy is qualified and he put together a formidable crew that includes Brad Jackson, an old mate of mine who is a Watch Captain, and Jules Salter a three-time veteran of the race. Did I mention that the next Volvo Ocean Race starts this weekend?

Before I get too deep in the weeds here I must note that I really don’t have a clue what actually happened. (we do, click here. - ed).  Both sides have (presumably) lawyered-up and the statements coming from both sides are as vague as a hookers perfume after a long night…:)  I have, however, been in this game for a long time and I can smell a suit from a mile away.

Tienpont, cleverly, wrote a lucrative deal with his sponsor before becoming engaged with them. AkzoNobel is, according to their website, “a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals.” Fair enough and I can see why they would probably like to align themselves with a global brand like the Volvo Ocean Race especially since the idea of the VOR is all about being clean; as in the wind is free and the water is pure, and they make chemicals which I am guessing are not so clean or pure. But I digress. It seems that AkzoNobel has been less than impressed with the performance of their skipper and his management team, Steam Ocean B.V. There was, apparently, a cost overrun on some things and AkzoNobel used this as an excuse to terminate their contract with Steam Ocean B.V.  In other words the “suits” got involved.

Let me digress one more time. The very best thing that happened to the VOR was the appointment of Mark Turner as CEO. There are few people more qualified to run this race but less than a year into his term Mark is out. Resigned I believe (or was he pushed…:)?  Mark had many interesting and innovative ideas of how to bring this iconic event into the 21 century but it seems he might have fallen afoul of the bean counters. And he is out.

Late this afternoon there was a report that the aforementioned Brad Jackson has been appointed as skipper of AkzoNobel. Good for him and I am sure he will deliver but I have to wonder where you draw the line. Loyalty to your mate and the guy who hired you, or loyalty to the pay check that will come as skipper. That goes for the rest of the crew. They too could have resigned in protest and I read that there were plenty of rumblings on that note, but a job is a job and a paycheck is a paycheck so I don’t blame them. But I do blame the suits for their heavy handedness. One thing that sets a winning team apart from the rest is crew morale. I am sure that crew morale is at a low ebb on the good ship AkzoNobel.

So back to where I started. The Volvo Ocean Race has finally grown up and come of age. It’s now about money, bean counters, egos and suits. Surely this is a sign of a well developed event? Don’t you agree?

Brian Hancock

Why do we need Hancock to regurgitate that which we already know.  Not one new piece of information just some pontificating.

Oh and did you know Brian did the Whitbread back in the day !!!!!!

maybe Akzo stopped paying forcing Simeon to default on his contract hence they could state that was the case?

Most readers will be too young to remember the early days of The Whitbread and OSTAR, but for us (old) designers and builders of race boats, these races epitomised what sailing and adventuring was all about. Mark Turner may have had some grand plans for the event, but its all about money, money and more money. A race around the world should not cost each entrant a kings ransom. The whole thing is unsustainable in its present form.

Edited by Adrian Thompson
typo

4 hours ago, DtM said:

Oh and did you know Brian did the Whitbread back in the day !!!!!!

No shit! He should write with more of a focus on his own achievements, then. Like, has he sailed a fast multi?

Easy come, easy go.
The same counts for Brad Jackson
Akzo Nobel should emphasize on team-building and safety like Simeon did.
Not elbowwork, treason, and last minute panicking.

8 hours ago, Editor said:

I have been reading about this latest “crisis” to befall the Volvo Ocean Race, formerly known as the Whitbread Round the World Race, and can only smile. Yup the VOR has finally grown up; the suits are “officially” in charge.

OK for those that have not been following a couple of things. The Volvo Ocean Race bills itself, and rightly so, as the preeminent fully crewed offshore ocean race and the 13th edition is about to set sail from Alicante, Spain this weekend. With just over a week to go to the start of the race one of the teams, Team AkzoNobel, decided that it was a swell idea to can it’s skipper. Can, as in fire him, or to put it in PR-speak, he was ‘invited to stay on but declined.’

The (former) skipper is the Dutch sailor Simeon Tienpont who has participated in two previous VOR races and has also been part of a winning America’s Cup team. Clearly the guy is qualified and he put together a formidable crew that includes Brad Jackson, an old mate of mine who is a Watch Captain, and Jules Salter a three-time veteran of the race. Did I mention that the next Volvo Ocean Race starts this weekend?

Before I get too deep in the weeds here I must note that I really don’t have a clue what actually happened. (we do, click here. - ed).  Both sides have (presumably) lawyered-up and the statements coming from both sides are as vague as a hookers perfume after a long night…:)  I have, however, been in this game for a long time and I can smell a suit from a mile away.

Tienpont, cleverly, wrote a lucrative deal with his sponsor before becoming engaged with them. AkzoNobel is, according to their website, “a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals.” Fair enough and I can see why they would probably like to align themselves with a global brand like the Volvo Ocean Race especially since the idea of the VOR is all about being clean; as in the wind is free and the water is pure, and they make chemicals which I am guessing are not so clean or pure. But I digress. It seems that AkzoNobel has been less than impressed with the performance of their skipper and his management team, Steam Ocean B.V. There was, apparently, a cost overrun on some things and AkzoNobel used this as an excuse to terminate their contract with Steam Ocean B.V.  In other words the “suits” got involved.

Let me digress one more time. The very best thing that happened to the VOR was the appointment of Mark Turner as CEO. There are few people more qualified to run this race but less than a year into his term Mark is out. Resigned I believe (or was he pushed…:)?  Mark had many interesting and innovative ideas of how to bring this iconic event into the 21 century but it seems he might have fallen afoul of the bean counters. And he is out.

Late this afternoon there was a report that the aforementioned Brad Jackson has been appointed as skipper of AkzoNobel. Good for him and I am sure he will deliver but I have to wonder where you draw the line. Loyalty to your mate and the guy who hired you, or loyalty to the pay check that will come as skipper. That goes for the rest of the crew. They too could have resigned in protest and I read that there were plenty of rumblings on that note, but a job is a job and a paycheck is a paycheck so I don’t blame them. But I do blame the suits for their heavy handedness. One thing that sets a winning team apart from the rest is crew morale. I am sure that crew morale is at a low ebb on the good ship AkzoNobel.

So back to where I started. The Volvo Ocean Race has finally grown up and come of age. It’s now about money, bean counters, egos and suits. Surely this is a sign of a well developed event? Don’t you agree?

Brian Hancock

Does Hancock pay you to put this stuff on the fp ed?

His emails already go to my junk box, can I have one here too?

just watched "The Weekend Sailor" last night. The Mexican owner of the winning boat not only paid his own way, but had his wife on board for the first leg.  

6 hours ago, Sailabout said:

maybe Akzo stopped paying forcing Simeon to default on his contract hence they could state that was the case?

IF it was this way, they (akzo) have defaulted first, causing simeon to default, so, it would be their fault and they'll certainly lose the coming lawsuit.

BH should at least be sober when he writes his meandering blogs which the ED publishes, no matter how badly written they are.

I envisage Clean with his head in his hands.

After reading half of the first sentence I know its him again, Brian Whitbread Hungcock.

And I keep reading just to confirm its another masturbating piece of long winded history drivel.

Does anybody know how to put someone on the front page on IGNORE ?

On 10/17/2017 at 5:41 AM, Gangbusters said:

just watched "The Weekend Sailor" last night. The Mexican owner of the winning boat not only paid his own way, but had his wife on board for the first leg.  

Just watched this too. Much more engaging than current unapproachable event. Imagine doing that, with wife, family, friends, two young kids who knew how to sail, and a nice beautiful fast comfortable strong boat ... and beating ALL the pro and national teams! 

On 10/17/2017 at 3:26 AM, Adrian Thompson said:

Most readers will be too young to remember the early days of The Whitbread and OSTAR, but for us (old) designers and builders of race boats, these races epitomised what sailing and adventuring was all about. Mark Turner may have had some grand plans for the event, but its all about money, money and more money. A race around the world should not cost each entrant a kings ransom. The whole thing is unsustainable in its present form.

+1 Adrian

On 19/10/2017 at 1:44 PM, carcrash said:

Just watched this too. Much more engaging than current unapproachable event. Imagine doing that, with wife, family, friends, two young kids who knew how to sail, and a nice beautiful fast comfortable strong boat ... and beating ALL the pro and national teams! 

and add some bottles of wine on the boat's "cellar".