• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
guppy2

Onefly foiler

3 minutes ago, Liquid said:

It's a moth

Is it? If it is, it won't be competitive. It looks to me to be based on the Moth concept but it's a one design. 

It looks like it is longer than a Moth, it certainly has a wider hull and it is going to be heavy compared with a moth. The rig will not be as efficient. All of this doesn't matter in a one design, where price and ease of use often replace the need to push for the ultimate in speed.

2 hours ago, Merde2 said:

Nothing new.
It's a rebranded ifly moth: https://www.ifly.eu.com/ since the ifly15 catamaran seems to have taken over than name.

Never a Moth. A Moth style boat, but there is some doubt that it would even measure as a Moth. It's a 48kg boat with alloy wings. Not saying it is good or bad, just that it is not a Moth.

18 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

Never a Moth. A Moth style boat, but there is some doubt that it would even measure as a Moth. It's a 48kg boat with alloy wings. Not saying it is good or bad, just that it is not a Moth.

No doubt really, it doesn't measure as a Moth: 3.48 is too long (max. 3.355) and 2.26 is too wide (max. 2.225). While that could be fixed, there seems little point as any Moth foiler will be quicker.

But as a one design, it may be OK if the price is right, say about the price of a Wazp which seems to be its closest rival.

It may be a good waszp alternative, if it flies well through the tacks, especially for big people.

I feel like the waszp is investing in the youth market a lot, especially for the future (as second-hand boats go down in pricing), this could find an alternative target it it is better than the waszp for the adult range (i.e lower wind takeoff and easier tacking).

The higher the performance range, the more weight sensitive is seemingly a truism we cannot escape. Unless 505 and then there isenough congfusionand enough lodfashionedness that everything can work after a fadsion

5 hours ago, 17mika said:

It may be a good waszp alternative, if it flies well through the tacks, especially for big people.

I feel like the waszp is investing in the youth market a lot, especially for the future (as second-hand boats go down in pricing), this could find an alternative target it it is better than the waszp for the adult range (i.e lower wind takeoff and easier tacking).

Apparently it's targeted at 18 to 25s and those under 80kg. Given the 7.25m sail, I can't see that it will take off in lighter winds or be easier to tack than a Wazp (or a Moth). Anyone sailing this boat because they're not good enough to sail a Moth won't be doing foiling tacks, which isn't to say no one will foil tack an ifly mono, only that it will take a similar level of skill to foil tacking a Moth.

The hull is only  670mm wide (if I read the specs correctly), so no significant additional stability over a narrow Moth either.

Strange that they wouldn't build something so close to a Moth that doesn't measure as one.

May be a better boat than the Waszp but they about a year too late with launch. Why would you buy that when the Waszp now has solid racing and total control of the market?

7 hours ago, joking said:

May be a better boat than the Waszp but they about a year too late with launch. Why would you buy that when the Waszp now has solid racing and total control of the market?

Interesting you think the Waszp has solid racing and total control of the market. Where is this solid racing, because the most I have ever seen on the water at one time is 2 (I have read about a few more at their inter galactics or whatever it was called). As for total control of the market, don't tell Dave Clarke because he will be wondering what's happening to all the UFO's he is selling. I certainly think the UFO is a big competitor. In the UK, orders for the F101 are beginning to come through and I am sure next year we will see some good racing for them. The waszp had a first mover advantage, but I suspect that in 5 years time, it will be a thing of the past.

This particular boat doesn't offer anything the Waszp doesn't offer and at a guess I would say it will be more expensive, so I think it is dead in the water.

well there are definitely a good number of waszp already around. In garda there were around 50 racing. still not sure if that is converting to good local fleets in europe or not. I Agree with team gbr that in europe ther is no "total control of the market" definitely. In Italy there is no local circuit yet, but quite a few boats sailed around. So, depending on where you look, I guess the situation is different (downunder there are already quite big waszp fleets and the situation is probably very different). 

9 hours ago, 17mika said:

In garda there were around 50 racing. still not sure if that is converting to good local fleets in europe or not.

Just checked and yes, at the "International Games" there were 51 boats. I know the GBR clubs - 5 sailors from 5 different clubs, so not indicative of local fleets.I also looked for results from Australian clubs. Not sure there really is any club fleet racing going on (although I probably didn't look hard enough)

To be fair they were only delivered this year. My club has close to ten but they aren't racing yet - obviously it's not quite like jumping out of an oppy into a 4.7

Onefly (and IFly before) looks like another nice boat. Being bigger than a moth might solve a few control issues but it makes it heavier. Absence of gantry and sprit make the hull simpler and easier to produce. The rig looks superior to the WASZP but its area is smaller than a moth so the boat is unlikely to fly earlier especially with larger people on board. At 50kg is not going to be carried sideways like a moth, so launching followed by foil attachment will be a problem is some locations.

How its priced will be important. That depends on the detail design and component count. Using aluminium for cheapness is not always logical, the WASZP for instance has 18 components in the wings to get the strength in the right places. Moths have 6 because carbon strength can be tapered in production. If OneFly have done a simpler design they might get it down to WASZP price in which case there will be competition, If its more expensive than a WASZP sales will be limited.

Both boats will always be much slower than a moth and as we have already seen with WASZPs, a lot of people learn to foil, think they are good until they line up with a moth, then want to switch boats. Good for the moth class.

it all comes down to the price. At the moment a proper Moth is simply out of the question regarding the price for a regular civilian. If they make something that hve reasonable sense and allows people to be bitten by a foiling bug and start having fun, then it is a good one. Market will show whether the idea has some potential or was it stillborn.

Sort of logical except that with so many moths built since foiling was perfected, there are heaps of very cheap out of date moths around most of which will sail circles around a Waszp (and maybe a OneFly) at half the price. Plenty of people enjoying cheap moth sailing with old boats and occasional upgrades with hand me down foils and rigs. They even have estabished local moth fleets to race with and learn from. 

People with one design myopathy excluded.

I think I have one design myopathy. :(

Just about all the boats I've had have been the only one of the design. :lol: