Sign in to follow this  
Ed Lada

Sometime Life Bites You in the Ass

I will be 62 in November.  A few years ago I had both knees replaced after 40 years of ever increasing pain.  My knees were responsible for my medical discharge from the Army after 6 years, doing a job I loved.  Walking, standing, sitting, anything was painful.  In the 5 years prior to the replacement surgery I never slept a night without waking up from the pain.  After the operations, I could walk again, pain free, I slept like a baby it was wonderful. 

I have a degenerative nerve condition.  So far the cause is unknown.  It is not related to the knee replacements, this started before I had the surgery.  Although it started about 10 years ago, in the last 4 months it has progressed rapidly. I have very little feeing in my feet and toes.  I cannot walk normally, I have limited control of my feet.  My balance is terrible and I occasionally trip and fall because of the lack of feeling.  Did you ever try walking and you have to think about picking up your feet for every step?  It isn't fun.  Walking more than 100 feet is an ordeal.  In addition, due to the condition of my knees prior to the surgery, I have limited flexion in my knee joints which adds to the fun.  I had to give my 2 Labs to my estranged wife to keep at her house because I can't give them the exercise they need, I live in an apartment so there is no yard for them.  The neurologist has said they know what it isn't, but they don't know what is causing the problem.  They said they often don't know in their business.  That's very comforting. 

In addition I am having some cardiac issues, I had 2 heart attacks, the first when I was 39 years old, 4 months after my discharge from the Army, the second when I was 50, caused by a very rare viral infection.  Because it is a virus, there isn't a damn thing that can be done about it.  My old, scarred heart is getting tired of moving the blood through my 6'6" frame.  

My daughter is pregnant with twins, a boy and a girl.  They are scheduled to make their debut in early February.  I would really like to see the little sprouts grow up, but I just don't know.

I am pissed off.  I am basically retired, living on my VA disability pay and I will collect my Social Security early, starting in December.  I though I was at the point in my life where I could relax and enjoy my 'golden years'.  I have enough money to live a reasonable life and help my daughter financially with the new arrivals.  Now I have to deal with this shit.  

I am not complaining, I am not looking for sympathy.  In my past jobs I have seen plenty of death and destruction of the human body. I like to think I am pretty tough. I am usually cheerful, I stumble along, I don't know how much longer I will be able to walk.  I try hard not to fall and break any bones.  I don't know what my heart will do. I take it one day at a time.  Former Navy SEAL Richard 'The Rogue Warrior' Marcinko wrote about his life and the hardships as a SEAL; "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it."  I live by these words, I don't have to like it, I am just doing it, until I can't anymore.  I know there are folks out there with problems much worse than mine, I am grateful for what I can do.  That's life.  Sometimes it bites you in the ass.  Hard.

Thanks for letting me share this with y'all.

Get checked for Lyme disease, or Leishmaniasis.

8 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Get checked for Lyme disease, or Leishmaniasis.

I did, I have found ticks on myself, they are everywhere here, I used to spend a lot of time in the forest walking with my dogs.  The tests have always been negative.

I have always been a bit of a free spirit, I have had quite an interesting life, I have lived in foreign countries for 25 years of my life, had 3 wives, had many different jobs, never a career.  I have met many absolutely interesting, incredible people all over the world.  

So when my daughter was about 10 years old, I was trying to impart some things about life to her.  Now you have to understand my daughter has always loved lemons, she would take a lemon and just eat it like an orange.  So after I told her some of my views about life she looked up at me and said; "So daddy, what your saying is that life is like a big lemon and you just have to suck all of the juice out of it, right?"  I just looked at her in amazement and said; "Yes honey, that is exactly what I was saying."   My daughter is pretty damn smart.

Sorry to hear it Soaker - will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Getting old sucks - I always recommend to kids that they don't do it.

22 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Sorry to hear it Soaker - will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Getting old sucks - I always recommend to kids that they don't do it.

Thanks SJB.

Shit, in my brain I am still 23 years old.  I refuse to grow up.  It's the failing body that gets you.

Tough times, my thoughts are with you. My brain clock stopped at 34.

Get a walker. 

My friend with arterial sclerosis bought a walker because he can't walk more than a block without stopping and resting. He's embarrassed to use it outside. Fer fucks sake...

Why am I telling you this? You know it already.

I'd get a scooter - my dad & his friend were like a couple of Hells Angels on theirs. Totally terrorized the seawall from Dundarave to Park Royal. :D

Lyme often tests negative if they use the straight line titer test. Get checked for Leishmaniasis, ALS and MS also. The LP (Lumbar puncture) AKA spinal tap, really isn't so bad..... Unless you're a drummer.... It hurts more the next few days, but I put down 1600 feet of strip maple flooring, with one guy helping me after I had mine, and it just sucked. It wasn't sucking so bad I couldn't do it.

21 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Lyme often tests negative if they use the straight line titer test. Get checked for Leishmaniasis, ALS and MS also. The LP (Lumbar puncture) AKA spinal tap, really isn't so bad..... Unless you're a drummer.... It hurts more the next few days, but I put down 1600 feet of strip maple flooring, with one guy helping me after I had mine, and it just sucked. It wasn't sucking so bad I couldn't do it.

Been there and done all of that.  The lumbar puncture wasn't bad at all, didn't have a headache or anything.  You just need someone who has done a lot of them, practice really helps.  I can't count the number of times I have assisted doctors doing them.  Little babies are a real treat, you have to grab them and bend them into a 'C' shape so the doc can get the needle between those tiny vertebrae, and then hold them really still.   Usually babies don't like that.  Great fun.  I remember one standout LP.  Guy came in with a complaint of the worst headache of his life, almost always an indication for a LP.  When the doc drew the fluid into the syringe, it was full of blood.  Intra cranial bleeding, not good, off to the ICU he went.

I spent 10 days in the neurology ward last June.  I had every imaginable test including jabbing a large gauge, long needle into the side of my tongue, my hands, my calf muscles and my feet.  The needle in the tongue wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, it was the ones in the hand that hurt the worst, about 3 inches into the fleshy part of the hand below the pinky finger.  They also ran a rather large amount of electricity via a paddle on my skull and electrodes on my ankles.  Every time they hit the juice, there was a loud sound and my whole body convulsed.  What a treat that was. It was in a German hospital and I wanted to ask them if these procedures were developed in the camps during WWII.  But they were very nice about it all and we were laughing and having a good time so instead I asked if I could have ice cream if I didn't scream.  I got my ice cream.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Tough times, my thoughts are with you. My brain clock stopped at 34.

Get a walker. 

My friend with arterial sclerosis bought a walker because he can't walk more than a block without stopping and resting. He's embarrassed to use it outside. Fer fucks sake...

Why am I telling you this? You know it already.

Yeah, I am getting to the point where a walker will be necessary.

There is a bit of mental gymnastics required to accept this sort of thing.  We all like to think we are bullet proof.  I wouldn't mind so much if I were in my  late 70s but I will be only 62 in a couple of weeks FFS.

Hell I went to basic training in the Army once at age 18, the second time at age 32.  That puts me in a very small group of people.  I can deal with almost anything.

My mom is 95, and her body is just about done.  She comes from a generation that didn't understand the concept of "quit".  She lived through WW II (served as a WAC) and the hard times that followed. 

When I look at her, and what she has gone through mentally, physically, emotionally in her life, I find I can't whine about any of the relatively trivial problems I have had to put up with. 

"Getting old isn't for sissies" - Bette Davis

With all that said, do the best you can, it is really all you can do, and stay away from PA! 

Have the doc check you for PSP.  What you have sounds a bit like what my sister had.  

I have decided that when walking is almost impossible I am going to have a party and invite all of my fine looking young Polish lady friends. I am going to slow dance with each and every one of them.  An entire song with each one.  Then I will have some fine memories to sustain me.

15 minutes ago, dash34 said:

My mom is 95, and her body is just about done.  She comes from a generation that didn't understand the concept of "quit".  She lived through WW II (served as a WAC) and the hard times that followed. 

When I look at her, and what she has gone through mentally, physically, emotionally in her life, I find I can't whine about any of the relatively trivial problems I have had to put up with. 

"Getting old isn't for sissies" - Bette Davis

With all that said, do the best you can, it is really all you can do, and stay away from PA! 

Have the doc check you for PSP.  What you have sounds a bit like what my sister had.  

Hmm, they were pretty thorough, they are German doctors after all.  I imagine they might have considered PSP but I don't know for sure   I do have quite a few of the symptoms but no vision problems as yet.  I have some difficulty swallowing but they found some diverticuli in my throat that could be the reason for that.  I also get an occasional stutter in my speech.  They did a CT and MRI of the head and spine, nothing remarkable, just arthritis.

I think neurology is part medical science and part witchcraft.

I tend to be one of those people that doesn't have any quit in them.  I have always pushed myself through pain and problems.  I went 3 days at work with my first pneumothorax, even though it hurt like hell and I was mixing and pouring concrete for a couple of days while I had my 3rd one.  I ended up in the hospital for a week after that one when they did a surgical procedure to remove the offending part of the lung that kept on leaking.  Lung surgery was far more painful than the knee replacements, and that is no picnic.  I went back to work a few days after I got out of the hospital my first heart attack, I was initially in the hospital for a life threatening leg infection and when they got that under control I had the MI.   Good place to have a heart attack anyway. I had run out of sick time at work and had a desk job so back I went.  I laughed when the doctor told me I had to take at least 3 months off from work to recover.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I'd get a scooter - my dad & his friend were like a couple of Hells Angels on theirs. Totally terrorized the seawall from Dundarave to Park Royal. :D

I told my daughter that when I come to see my grandkids, she can take the twins in the baby grocery cart and I'll take one of the electric scooters they have available at the local Wegmans supermarket, when we go grocery shopping.

Sounds like they have checked you for everything from amyloidosis to syphilis.  Not making a joke, hard to imagine they have left loose ends at this point.  Presumably a nerve biopsy too.  What therapies have they tried?  Neurology (and rheumatology) are sometimes called the specialties where you known everything about things you can do not much about.  Hang in there.

Hey soak_ed, 

Sorry you're down.  I turned 60 one week ago and I have never spent a night in the hospital.   I  wish you nothing but the best and hope you have many years with your grandkids.  Sucks about your dogs...I know how much joy they bring.  I visited Erie from about '70 to '76 as we did this Lake Erie Race thing.  Three feeder races and then from Buffalo back to Michigan.  It was some of my favorite sailing and I swear to this day, I watched Gouvernail sailing a Sidewinder back and forth across the Bay.  You must have known Frank Zurn and Kahili.  Why not come home and be close to the twins?   

Best to you always, 

Jim 

2 hours ago, soak_ed said:

Hmm, they were pretty thorough, they are German doctors after all.  I imagine they might have considered PSP but I don't know for sure   I do have quite a few of the symptoms but no vision problems as yet.  I have some difficulty swallowing but they found some diverticuli in my throat that could be the reason for that.  I also get an occasional stutter in my speech.  They did a CT and MRI of the head and spine, nothing remarkable, just arthritis.

I think neurology is part medical science and part witchcraft.

I tend to be one of those people that doesn't have any quit in them.  I have always pushed myself through pain and problems.  I went 3 days at work with my first pneumothorax, even though it hurt like hell and I was mixing and pouring concrete for a couple of days while I had my 3rd one.  I ended up in the hospital for a week after that one when they did a surgical procedure to remove the offending part of the lung that kept on leaking.  Lung surgery was far more painful than the knee replacements, and that is no picnic.  I went back to work a few days after I got out of the hospital my first heart attack, I was initially in the hospital for a life threatening leg infection and when they got that under control I had the MI.   Good place to have a heart attack anyway. I had run out of sick time at work and had a desk job so back I went.  I laughed when the doctor told me I had to take at least 3 months off from work to recover.

PSP is rare and hard to diagnose.  It took years for my sister to get the diagnosis.  She had long-term unexplained neurological symptoms, starting with unprovoked falls in her mid-50's.  Multiple MRI's finally showed the PSP lesions on her brain.  It was very frustrating for her to not have any explanation for her symptoms.

Take care of yourself. You can still drink beer, right?  Polish beer is very good...

dash

5 hours ago, dash34 said:

PSP is rare and hard to diagnose.  It took years for my sister to get the diagnosis.  She had long-term unexplained neurological symptoms, starting with unprovoked falls in her mid-50's.  Multiple MRI's finally showed the PSP lesions on her brain.  It was very frustrating for her to not have any explanation for her symptoms.

Take care of yourself. You can still drink beer, right?  Polish beer is very good...

dash

Yeah, neurological problems are very difficult.  Modern medicine has pretty much figured out most functions of the human body but the nervous system still holds many mysteries. As I said, the neurologists treating me said they can often rule out many diseases but can't determine what the problem really is.  "We don't know" is not an answer you like to hear.  It can be very frustrating. 

I do drink beer however I prefer good red wine.  I have been know to drink a little vodka here and there too.  Cheers!

5 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Hey soak_ed, 

Sorry you're down.  I turned 60 one week ago and I have never spent a night in the hospital.   I  wish you nothing but the best and hope you have many years with your grandkids.  Sucks about your dogs...I know how much joy they bring.  I visited Erie from about '70 to '76 as we did this Lake Erie Race thing.  Three feeder races and then from Buffalo back to Michigan.  It was some of my favorite sailing and I swear to this day, I watched Gouvernail sailing a Sidewinder back and forth across the Bay.  You must have known Frank Zurn and Kahili.  Why not come home and be close to the twins?   

Best to you always, 

Jim 

Jim, thanks for the kind words.  I am seriously considering moving back to the US.  Primarily to be near the grandchildren, I am a fraternal twin myself and my daughter will need a lot of help.  The other reason is medical care, I am eligible for treatment through the VA and also I will get Medicare in 3 more years.  My daughter has promised me since she was little, that she would take care of me in my dotage. I am sure she will, even though she will have her hands full with her children, she is a wonderful person.

Yeah, anybody involved with boats knew about Frank Zurn and Kahili.  Zurn Industries still has a presence in Erie but they moved a lot of their operations and HQ out of Erie years ago. If you haven't been to Erie in some years, the development on the bay front is amazing. Back in the '60s- '70s there was only the EYC and a marina on Presque Isle.  A 'blue collar' yacht club was formed at some point.  Now there are several marinas, condos, restaurants, hotels and a convention center replacing what was primarily an industrial area, as you might remember.  The lake can be very docile but when it gets riled up, it can be quite dangerous, especially with the short period big waves, as you might have experienced.

The lake is remarkably clean compared to the mess it was in the '60s and '70s, I lived about 1/4 mile from the lake right between the Hammermill Paper Company and a large General Electric factory, the 2 main sources of water pollution at the time. I often wonder if my neuro problems aren't related to exposure to God knows what toxins were being spewed into the lake in the 'good old days'.   When the Corps of Engineers dredges the ship channel in the bay, they need to haul the waste to a special site for disposal there are so many toxins in the muck on the bottom of the bay from a hundred years of dumping industrial waste into the water.

The lake is beautiful now, thank you Zebra mussels. If the weather there wasn't so terrible, it would be a wonderful place!  Unfortunately the season is pretty short, although the weather has warmed quite a bit since my younger days there.  I am sure I must have seen Gouv at one time or another, I spent a lot of time on the water, on the bay or the lake.

My wife and I aren't divorced but I haven't lived with her for more than 2 years.  We are on reasonably good terms with each other and I visit my dogs often.

7 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Sounds like they have checked you for everything from amyloidosis to syphilis.  Not making a joke, hard to imagine they have left loose ends at this point.  Presumably a nerve biopsy too.  What therapies have they tried?  Neurology (and rheumatology) are sometimes called the specialties where you known everything about things you can do not much about.  Hang in there.

Yes, I have been thoroughly examined, poked and prodded.  The only therapy I have is Lyrica which has a small effect on some of the discomfort of the confused nerves.  I do regular exercise to keep the muscles from atrophying since most physical activity is difficult.  Losing muscle mass just makes everything even worse.  I am trying my best to avoid that spiral where inactivity just leads to more inactivity and finally complete immobility.  When I was in the Army I had massive quadriceps muscles from running and biking.  Those days are long gone and my legs are a shadow of their former glory due to the arthritic knees and this problem.  I used to be able to run 10 miles, walk 25 miles and bike 50 miles with little trouble except my knee problems which started when I was quite young, around 12 years old. I miss those days.

Empathize. Now age 69 and up till age 64, healthy as a horse, eg, running, outdoor sports, weight lifting etc., then, pneumonia, asthma, osteo arthritis, arrythmia, etc.. I'm now taking and overpaying for half the drugs you see advertised on tv.

But.....grand kids are a great tonic/elixir. You get up and no matter what, don't feel sorry for yourself, NEVER talk about what you used to be able to do physically and get to the gym or outdoors and KEEP MOVING, even if it hurts. Inertia is a bitch and bodies at rest tend to remain at rest. Atrophy is the biggest component of continued degeneration and resultant depression.

As one particularly astute physician suggested to me, if there was one thing he could prescribe to all his patients that would benefit at least 95% of them it would be exercise or movement.

Now if I could only force myself to that beginning yoga class........I've never been flexible and that component has deteriorated significantly. I was hiking a couple of weeks back and fell.....clumsily. I could see how working on flexibility and balance also require effort.

I could go on but simply suggest that getting back up to speed is possible but will require diligence and effort. The alternative sucks but I assure you the grandkids will provide renewed incentive to pursue these onerous activities.

Carry on Sir.

Sounds like your nerves are demylenating (Like mine).... Krill oil may help some, but it may not.

3 hours ago, soak_ed said:

I used to be able to run 10 miles, walk 25 miles and bike 50 miles with little trouble except my knee problems which started when I was quite young, around 12 years old. I miss those days.

Sucks getting old...  If you would have told me 30 or 40 years ago when I was dirt biking through the woods bouncing off trees, hitting 20' table top jumps while racing MX, running  5 plus miles up and down hills a day, and hitting the pig iron at the gym to stay in shape and look "studly" would have some consequences in my old age would I have stopped... uhhhhh NO!  Nothing like a good sweat to get rid of the days funk  which was a better alternative to me over hitting the Happy Hour!

There was an article a while back in Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research noting the effects of what they refereed to as "the active generation" that is those of us that hit our stride in the 70's, and carried it well into the next century and what they are now seeing with the spike in arthritis and in lay terms "worn out joints" which I can tell you I am feeling in my knees, ankles and shoulders...  takes a little longer to get going in the AM..... and the ramp up time gets a little long each year. 

I miss running too, but have replaced it with a X-trainer and the Stair-Climber at the gym...  mainly these days it is cardio, sit-ups, push-ups, chin-ups.. at least 4 times a week.   With the cardio Stair-Climber... if I can hit 2.5 miles in an hour...  I am feeling pretty good about myself..   A score and five ago... 6 miles in 45 minutes  was the norm

I think there is a few of here in the same boat!  Face it getting old Sucks!

Yep, getting old sucks and we are paying for our youthful indescretions and exuberance.  50 miles/week running and 150 ply biking into my mid 30s and running 25+ weekly up to 50 even after being warned by the podiatrist and ortho left me with destroyed knees,   nerve damage and arthritic feet and ankles, etc. At age 63.  Due to some other issues, I’m postponing a needed TKR for another year but recent CT showed it’s due.  Woke up this AM with a stiff and sore knee.

Keep up your strength and spirits and spend time with those grandkids, even if it means leaving this Polish lovelies and moving close to your daughter. 

16 hours ago, soak_ed said:

I will be 62 in November.  A few years ago I had both knees replaced after 40 years of ever increasing pain.  My knees were responsible for my medical discharge from the Army after 6 years, doing a job I loved.  Walking, standing, sitting, anything was painful.  In the 5 years prior to the replacement surgery I never slept a night without waking up from the pain.  After the operations, I could walk again, pain free, I slept like a baby it was wonderful. 

I have a degenerative nerve condition.  So far the cause is unknown.  It is not related to the knee replacements, this started before I had the surgery.  Although it started about 10 years ago, in the last 4 months it has progressed rapidly. I have very little feeing in my feet and toes.  I cannot walk normally, I have limited control of my feet.  My balance is terrible and I occasionally trip and fall because of the lack of feeling.  Did you ever try walking and you have to think about picking up your feet for every step?  It isn't fun.  Walking more than 100 feet is an ordeal.  In addition, due to the condition of my knees prior to the surgery, I have limited flexion in my knee joints which adds to the fun.  I had to give my 2 Labs to my estranged wife to keep at her house because I can't give them the exercise they need, I live in an apartment so there is no yard for them.  The neurologist has said they know what it isn't, but they don't know what is causing the problem.  They said they often don't know in their business.  That's very comforting. 

In addition I am having some cardiac issues, I had 2 heart attacks, the first when I was 39 years old, 4 months after my discharge from the Army, the second when I was 50, caused by a very rare viral infection.  Because it is a virus, there isn't a damn thing that can be done about it.  My old, scarred heart is getting tired of moving the blood through my 6'6" frame.  

My daughter is pregnant with twins, a boy and a girl.  They are scheduled to make their debut in early February.  I would really like to see the little sprouts grow up, but I just don't know.

I am pissed off.  I am basically retired, living on my VA disability pay and I will collect my Social Security early, starting in December.  I though I was at the point in my life where I could relax and enjoy my 'golden years'.  I have enough money to live a reasonable life and help my daughter financially with the new arrivals.  Now I have to deal with this shit.  

I am not complaining, I am not looking for sympathy.  In my past jobs I have seen plenty of death and destruction of the human body. I like to think I am pretty tough. I am usually cheerful, I stumble along, I don't know how much longer I will be able to walk.  I try hard not to fall and break any bones.  I don't know what my heart will do. I take it one day at a time.  Former Navy SEAL Richard 'The Rogue Warrior' Marcinko wrote about his life and the hardships as a SEAL; "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it."  I live by these words, I don't have to like it, I am just doing it, until I can't anymore.  I know there are folks out there with problems much worse than mine, I am grateful for what I can do.  That's life.  Sometimes it bites you in the ass.  Hard.

Sorry to hear that, soak_ed. Wish you recover as best as possible and that doctors find a diagnostic and a treatment really soon.

Aging sucks, but it's still far better than the alternative.

Ed 

I wish you the best I will be 62 in April and have also started to self destruct and I am trying to figure out how to survive until 65 

Crap news Ed. Here's hoping they get you sorted at some point.

Soon to be 64, 6 pills a day and an infusion every 8 weeks. Maybe we should call this Geriatric Anarchy! Wellness wishes to all those inflicted.

Sorry if this sounds Trumpesque, Ed..... But Keep on keepin' on, because other people don't know what you got goin' on.

They look at you the way they always did, and until you drop, they always will.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, the kind words and the stories of your trials and tribulations.  It helps a lot!   Growing old is definitely a pain in the ass.  

5 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, the kind words and the stories of your trials and tribulations.  It helps a lot!   Growing old is definitely a pain in the ass.  

Beats most of the alternatives.

Every day above ground is a good day. ;)

On 10/21/2017 at 3:11 AM, soak_ed said:

I have a degenerative nerve condition. 

So what you're saying is I'm getting on your every last nerve......  :lol::lol:

JK - hope you continue to cope with this ok.

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:

So what you're saying is I'm getting on your every last nerve......  :lol::lol:

JK - hope you continue to cope with this ok.

Yes Jeff, I didn't want to call you out by name but it is all your fault!   :P

You are what you eat

The ideal body weight for a 6’6” man = 193 - 235 lbs

If you suffer with knee issues, then the lighter the better would make perfect sense… so think a target weight > 200lbs. If you are more than that you know what to do.
A contact of mine who has suffered from heart disease his Dr. recommended Q10 as a daily supplement. I would also suggest Glucosamine as it’s an aid to cartilage maintenance… and taking a large capsule of Omega3 daily will do you no harm.

The data on fresh blueberries is interesting… the Nogs have an expensive supplement based on it.

https://medoxusa.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/all-you-need-to-know-about-pure-anthocyanin/

(Inflammation is the big ageing body problem for everyone)

I take Tumeric capsules daily.

Getting old is inevitable - being diseased with it isn’t

Oh, and dump the booze - that and any added sugars… I come into contact with too many baby-boomers clients who are dependent on it and finished physically in their early 60s.

2 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

You are what you eat

The ideal body weight for a 6’6” man = 193 - 235 lbs

If you suffer with knee issues, then the lighter the better would make perfect sense… so think a target weight > 200lbs. If you are more than that you know what to do.
A contact of mine who has suffered from heart disease his Dr. recommended Q10 as a daily supplement. I would also suggest Glucosamine as it’s an aid to cartilage maintenance… and taking a large capsule of Omega3 daily will do you no harm.

The data on fresh blueberries is interesting… the Nogs have an expensive supplement based on it.

https://medoxusa.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/all-you-need-to-know-about-pure-anthocyanin/

(Inflammation is the big ageing body problem for everyone)

I take Tumeric capsules daily.

Getting old is inevitable - being diseased with it isn’t

Oh, and dump the booze - that and any added sugars… I come into contact with too many baby-boomers clients who are dependent on it and finished physically in their early 60s.

Thank you for telling me how I should live..  I have weighed  225 pounds +/- a couple pounds for the last 30 years.  

Unfortunately I am only human.  I do enjoy a glass or 2 of good wine now and then.  My knee issues stemmed from having poor cartilage, probably from birth, exacerbated by life.  My knees are now metal and plastic, to my knowledge glucosamine isn't going to affect them, nor do the metal and plastic have any nerve endings, so that issue is pretty moot now.  I don't have traditional heart disease, I never have .  My blood pressure is fine, my arteries are quite clean for a man my age, this has been verified by 3 heart cath procedures.  My heart problems are caused by damage to my heart from the coxsackie virus causing inflammation in the heart muscle, thereby causing the 2 infarcts  I experienced.  Apparently the virus is immune to blueberries.

I am a mere human of above average intelligence, above average height and while I like to think I am pretty wonderful, the truth of the matter is unlike some condescending, holier than thou, obnoxious people that think they know almost everything, and pretend to be really cool by telling everybody how cool they are, other than some stellar qualities, I am probably not much different than most other nice people.

Being somewhat intelligent, I do read a lot.  I have noticed the remarkable, almost unbelievable fact that throughout history, everyone that was ever born in the world is either or will be at some point in their life, dead.  I know, it shocked me too.  

While lifestyle factors, diet, exercise, a prudent lifestyle and some other factors within our control,  luck also plays a big part in out life expectancy.  It is just as important to have good genes as it is to take care of yourself.  Being mere living organisms, we have a limited shelf life. We will all die sometime and thank goodness for that.  I am not sure while so many people have trouble with this concept.  Maybe their rampant narcissism leads them to believe that they are so wonderful, so superior to the rest of us, they believe that not only can they can perhaps live forever.  I am sorry I can't be as perfect as you.

Thanks for the infomercial, it was rather dull and I don't give money to quacks.  Sanake oils is very cheap here in Poland.

If I am what I eat, apparently I am a pussy.  

SMP, zero sugar, and yoga.  

and congrats on the coming rugrats.  you'll get there.

coxsackie virus

Soaker, I don't even wanna know. ;)

21 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

coxsackie virus

Soaker, I don't even wanna know. ;)

Youre immagginatione is halveng funn withe you, the viruse is namede aftere a towne in New Yorke state.

4 hours ago, Swabbie said:

Have you tried dating younger women?

Are you being facetious or do you really not know me? 

AS2a.thumb.jpg.d1ae23964b544a725be6ca13127450a3.jpgShe is only 36 years younger than me.

There are more photos of some of my friends in my gallery here.  There are more attractions to life in Poland than just the low cost of living.

4 hours ago, Marinatrix447 said:

Blah blah blah . . . 

Fuck that. 

At this point in our lives, you need to enjoy life to the fullest extent for whatever time you have left. Wine, women ,song, cigars, chocolate and pizza.

Everybody has the axe hanging over their neck. Some of us that have felt the blade know this better than others.

I'm not afraid of dying I'm only afraid of living too long.

Carry on Soaky. 

5 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Fuck that. 

At this point in our lives, you need to enjoy life to the fullest extent for whatever time you have left. Wine, women ,song, cigars, chocolate and pizza.

Everybody has the axe hanging over their neck. Some of us that have felt the blade know this better than others.

I'm not afraid of dying I'm only afraid of living too long.

Carry on Soaky. 

Thanks Dorado, that's exactly how I feel.  Who wants to look good when they are dead?

On 10/20/2017 at 6:43 PM, SloopJonB said:

No automatic alt text available.

7 minutes ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

Whiners. Pathetic.... I would love to use a walker at 65. An age I have absofuckingly zero chance of getting to. 

...he whined.

7 minutes ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

Whiners. Pathetic.... I would love to use a walker at 65. An age I have absofuckingly zero chance of getting to. 

Unfortunately, sometimes you only get to play the hand that life deals, I feel sorry for you. 

2 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

...he whined.

Wanna here mine?? 

I'm only 43 and falling apart at the seams. ;)

Might be time to get on a plane and see you for a 3-4 day culinary and wine trip. 

We can really 'whine' about it then! 

Just now, mad said:

Wanna here mine?? 

I'm only 43 and falling apart at the seams. ;)

Hah, at your age I didn't even have any seams left!

Be careful Brane or that Marinachick will be here telling you how to live correctly.

3 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

Hah, at your age I didn't even have any seams left!

Dammit, I should have put a bit more effort into it all. :lol:

14 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

...he whined.

I have a bad gene. Cancer will hit at 55-59. My father made it to 61, by 3 days, the longest anyone on that side has made it to. I'm not whining at all. But your complaining about your shoes in ear shot to a guy who has no feet.

Just now, mad said:

Dammit, I should have put a bit effort into it all. :lol:

I think the path to my demise started as a young GI in Germany in the mid '70s.  Work a 10 hour day, go to a friends place and abuse various substances all night, then go work a 14 hour day.  After that, sleep.  Those were the days!

2 minutes ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

I have a bad gene. Cancer will hit at 55-59. My father made it to 61, by 3 days, the longest anyone on that side has made it to. I'm not whining at all. But your complaining about your shoes in ear shot to a guy who has no feet.

Sorry to hear about your bad genes.

I was sharing not complaining, there is a difference.

Your situation does nothing to diminish what I am going through and feel every day.  We all have our cross to bear.

4 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

I think the path to my demise started as a young GI in Germany in the mid '70s.  Work a 10 hour day, go to a friends place and abuse various substances all night, then go work a 14 hour day.  After that, sleep.  Those were the days!

Sounds like boatbuilding and sailing. 

Good times, and glad I did/still do it, although at a slightly slower rate these days. 

A lot people have very boring lives. I'd rather have mine every time.  

2 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

Sorry to hear about your bad genes.

I was sharing not complaining, there is a difference.

Your situation does nothing to diminish what I am going through and feel every day.  We all have our cross to bear.

HTFU. 

Just now, the_abandoned_brane said:

HTFU. 

Don't be so bitter, be happy while you can.  

At least I will probably live a little longer than you, do I win?

Just now, the_abandoned_brane said:

HTFU. 

Would you like sympathy?

I am building one of these for when I need it. Should I start on another? The chicks love to ride around on the foredeck in bikinis I hear...

Image result for geriatric walker looks like a boat

It's the silver hair that drives them wild.

That's a bad camera angle. I am often mistaken for George Clooney.  That and I have...skills.

Getting old is not for sissies.

I'm 64 (won't bore you with my list of ailments), if I live another 10 years, that's 87,600 hours. The last 35,000 hours will be miserable, so I'm having as much fun as I can, being kind to everybody, taking shit from nobody, and making every hour count.

17 minutes ago, Happy said:

I'm 64 (won't bore you with my list of ailments), if I live another 10 years, that's 87,600 hours. The last 35,000 hours will be miserable, so I'm having as much fun as I can, being kind to everybody, taking shit from nobody, and making every hour count.

That's the best we can do!

4 hours ago, soak_ed said:

Are you being facetious or do you really not know me? 

AS2a.thumb.jpg.d1ae23964b544a725be6ca13127450a3.jpgShe is only 36 years younger than me.

There are more photos of some of my friends in my gallery here.  There are more attractions to life in Poland than just the low cost of living.

You always poormouth things but it is apparent to all of us that you must have a lot of money. ;)

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

I am building one of these for when I need it. Should I start on another? The chicks love to ride around on the foredeck in bikinis I hear...

Totally cool but you need to get rid of the samson post and put on a bimbo pad for that.

No, SJB, I get by on about $2,000 a month, which is a pretty good income in Poland.  I am just a charming guy with a wonderful personality and I can tell a good story.  For some reason, my 2001 Mitsubishi Pajero Pinin just adds to my allure.  The fact that I am the only American in my town helps too.  Quite honestly I am mystified by the attention too, but I am not questioning it or complaining. 

2 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I love it!  If I move back to the US, I'll order one.

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

7059100.jpg?259

Well, if you knew what happened, then you didn't do it right.

On 10/22/2017 at 2:33 PM, Happy said:

That works for me...I'm 67 and wondering about how long I will last and how pleasant the voyage will

be...

I'm aware that everyone dies eventually but I've always suspected that God is going to make an exception in my case.

My only regrets are going to be girls I didn't sleep with and times I decided not to put the kite up when it was blowing the dog off the chain.  Could be worse. Sail every race like it is your last, because, well, it might be.

They say that the only true regrets people have at the end are for the things they didn't do.

13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

They say that the only true regrets people have at the end are for the things they didn't do.

Thats a nifty and well intentioned saying but I find it hard to believe its true for most people. I have a number of things I wish I'd have had the foresight to handle differently and have genuinely apologized and would handle differently today. I think those would be classified as regrets. Perhaps in the understandably selfish last hours the things not done may seem more poignant......not sure. I guess I'll find out when I get there.

Soak;

Hang in there buddy, and holler at us anytime you need an elbow in the gut, or a pat on the back, or a bad joke.  When you decide to slow dance with the honeys, I will send you Bruce, and you can have a threesome...

As for bikes and walkers..you need one designed like this:

New scooter.jpg

On 10/20/2017 at 6:54 PM, soak_ed said:

Thanks SJB.

Shit, in my brain I am still 23 years old.  I refuse to grow up.  It's the failing body that gets you.

I think you might have the better deal, your mind is still agile, young and sharp. Some of these folks with dementia have a perfectly healthy body with a mind that actively tries to kill them.

My body, eyesight, hearing, joints and endurance are healthier than when I was a kid, but I have the brain of a ninety year old ... I forget everything important, my logical abilities are a shadow of what they were, I can barely do any kind of advanced math anymore, I'm mentally inflexible and I've lost most of my imagination. I have no more patience and I communicate worse than ever. I can't even imagine how much worse the mental decay is going to get in the next few decades.

You can get a walker, a wheelchair, take medicine, hire a pretty Lithuanian nurse to give you handies, but what can the people with shit-for-brains do? One family friend had the dementia so bad that she lost the ability to chew and swallow food. What a shitty way to end a life, huh? Cut off from the people who love you, a hollow shell of a human. Fuck.

As long as a man still has a sharp, loving and productive mind, he's blessed.

30 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I think you might have the better deal, your mind is still agile, young and sharp. Some of these folks with dementia have a perfectly healthy body with a mind that actively tries to kill them.

My body, eyesight, hearing, joints and endurance are healthier than when I was a kid, but I have the brain of a ninety year old ... I forget everything important, my logical abilities are a shadow of what they were, I can barely do any kind of advanced math anymore, I'm mentally inflexible and I've lost most of my imagination. I have no more patience and I communicate worse than ever. I can't even imagine how much worse the mental decay is going to get in the next few decades.

You can get a walker, a wheelchair, take medicine, hire a pretty Lithuanian nurse to give you handies, but what can the people with shit-for-brains do? One family friend had the dementia so bad that she lost the ability to chew and swallow food. What a shitty way to end a life, huh? Cut off from the people who love you, a hollow shell of a human. Fuck.

I never said my mind was sharp and productive, I just said it was still 23 years old.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Our neighbours wife has been completely gone with Alzheimers for more than a decade but her body just keeps on keeping on.

The one upside is that she doesn't know anything about it. Sure must be scary when you know it's starting though.

Really sucks for those left behind.

28 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Our neighbours wife has been completely gone with Alzheimers for more than a decade but her body just keeps on keeping on.

The one upside is that she doesn't know anything about it. Sure must be scary when you know it's starting though.

Really sucks for those left behind.

My mother died at age 60 from a malignant brain tumor, a glioblastoma like John McCain has.  Six months from diagnosis to death. The last 2 months were a nightmare, the tumor had pretty much taken over the brain,.  My mother was a very intelligent, articulate woman and to see her the last 2 months was very painful.  I have no idea if she was aware of it on any level or not she couldn't talk and it was difficult to tell if she recognized us or not. 

When a disease or injury destroys other parts of the body, well parts are parts.  When the brain is affected by disease or injury, often the person ceases to be the one we knew and that's difficult to cope with for everyone.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Now *that* is the coolest walker ever.  68 here, but if I get to needing such, I can almost pretend it's the Marblehead Town Class sloop I spent many wonderful years racing in the town of that name.  I could lean forward too, to mimic how we cant the masts forward for a neutral helm on that barn-door rudder.

I keep thinking there must be a way to rig that thing - like a landsailer. :D

On 10/20/2017 at 7:11 PM, soak_ed said:

Congratulations Ed !!!

You're gonna be a

Grandpa.

It's the coolest thing. :-)

It will give you strength

and power...