• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Airheader

J22 bottom & keel refinishing questions

I recently bought a j22 that is in pretty good shape.  Has what appears to be vc offshore that needs to be redone.  I have sanded everything to the  gelcoat but the bottom couple inches of the keel.  does not appear to be any barrier coat  presently. Plan on applying barrier coat and vc offshore by roller.   I have a coupe of questions if anyone can shed any light. 

1. Is it safe to jack the boat up using the 6 point adjustable trailer pads to elevate the hull enough to get the keel  base above the trailers track to sand and refinish the bottom couple of inches? Looks line the easiest solution but not sure if the hull can take tge pressure or just deform .

2. Anyone know how much interlux 2000e is required for a  proper job on a j-22. 

Thanks

I've raised the hull on the jacks with no ill effects, go slow and teeter totter it up keeping weight on as many pads as possible. I found it was still hard to work on the bottom of the keel but doable. Have no idea how much paint is needed.

Ive done this but always keep the weight on the keel use a block like 6x6 and move it to the front of keel then move it back work in sections

Agreed with the above. 1 gallon kit will suffice though the directions call for more. I've done two J22s with the one gallon kit, each.  You can jack up the boat on the pads. It's how a company like Waterline Systems would have done the bottom job on your boat, on poppets, though actually they would also hang it by the lift point. It wouldn't be a bad ideal to put the block under the keel between work sessions.

How much barrier coat absolutely depends on how long you're going to leave the boat in the water and what the temperature of the water will be . 

If you plan on using the 2000 epoxy as a bit of a filler so that you can do a bit of fairing  on your biat, certainly you need a whole lot more epoxy that if all you're going to do is try to change the color of the boat . 

In my shop,  if we are attempting to create a barrier coat, we put on about 4 gallons of 2000 on a J-22 or we don't bother to put on any at all. 

We always tell our customers that they need to pull their J boats out of the water for at least a couple weeks during the hottest part of the summer to have any hope whatsoever of allowing the barrier coat to protect the boat 

We have never successfully prevented a wet sailed J22 from blistering.  We have applied as much as 8 gallons of 2000 epoxy over 2 gallons of 1000 epoxy and the boat blistered anyway . I don't think it's possible to prevent blistering on A balsa core polyester boat bottom that lives for years at a time in water that gets to 86° in the summer.

I am certain it is less expensive including the cost of the hydrohoist  to maintain a boat that lives on one.

if you're going to put VC offshore over 2000 epoxy you need to wait at least a day before applying the VC offshore or it will crack like dried out mud 

it is possible to spray on a particularly fine mist of the VC  offshore a few hours after applying the 2000 epoxy but if you can't see through the VC Offshore it will crack

Well, I am in PEI so the water temperature never hits 86F. I expect our summer water temperature would get to 70's max. We have our boats in for about 4 months June to September so I would think we are at much lower risk of blistering than southern boats in all year or for a long season ?

We are colder yet. Don't skip the 2000. As gouv says, fair the bottom with it. Use lots then top coat with VC whatever. Jboats blister regardless of temp.

Ôû 

Our J22s are in for six months, never hauled, fresh water, temps in the upper sixties to low seventies and we've never had a blister.  Conditions are a major factor, especially warm water, but I put the barrier coat on to protect against blisters and to work as a better binder for the bottom paint, it's working just fine.

A couple of thoughts:

Jacking her up on the trailer pads will work.  I would not be walking around on the deck while it is jacked up.  Put a bunch of blocks under the keel, and lower it back down when you are not working.

If you need to do a lot of work on the bottom of the keel, stick some styrofoam on top of the pads-- the extra few inches will be a big help.

If you are rolling the barrier coat on,  you will end up sanding a lot off.  Even if you aren't going crazy fairing. I would use at least 2 gallons.

Don't wait too long until you sand.  Interprotect gets very hard after 24 hours or so.  Your arms and shoulders will thank you if you sand as soon as you can.  If the paint is clogging up the paper, it is too soon. but as soon as that stops happening..... go for it.  Not the worst idea to paint a hunk of plywood at the same time... use it to check if it is good to sand

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, Gouvernail said:

Absolutely . VC 17 over bare gelcoat may be adequate. Perhaps VC Offshore or Petit's new Black Widow

Gouv,

What do you think of Black Widow?

1 hour ago, j34035 said:

Gouv,

What do you think of Black Widow?

I have my first gallon unopened on my shelf.

the owner of the boat for whom I thought I bought it decided he wanted blue. 

So.... all I have is the opinions of others in places like this forum