• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
SCANAS

Bogan of the week FP - Trimaran

Anyone got more info? 

6 months on a leaky boat. Fuel tank looks a tad precarious to say the least. 

No info, but they should get sponsored by those recovery chute/kites the volvos carry. It'd carry them a lot of the way down-breeze across the pond.

I hope they take everything they want except an EPIRB.  Accident waiting to happen doesn't even start to describe this voyage.  

On the other hand, there business plan would be a hoot to look over.  

Fuck I hate the fucker that built that boat! A crazy dude I knew at Nawiliwili offered to torch it for me before he left Kauai, I told him no but maybe I should have let him. 

My wife and I saw this monstrosity while heading out the Ala Wait Sunday.  It doesn't look like it could make to the Johnston Atoll, let alone Kiribati and beyond.  Delamination and duct tape abound on this monstrosity.  What's its history, anyway?  I don't recall seeing it in Keehi Lagoon, home of all marine monstrosities.

2 hours ago, GER308 said:

Fuck I hate the fucker that built that boat! A crazy dude I knew at Nawiliwili offered to torch it for me before he left Kauai, I told him no but maybe I should have let him. 

The builder is dead so just let it go GER.

I remember them ( original builders ) telling all who would listen that they were going to do The Race in 2000 - and me,   saying, "No way in Hell you will be ready."  - This at about the same time that (the well-funded) Team Philips was folding up like a cheap card table at a wrestling match, in a monsoon.

Business trips to Kauai always involved a quick jaunt to the harbor to see what's what and make sure that boat was 'still there'  ( for the past 20 years )

I wonder how the crossing to Oahu went ?   That would likely have been her first voyage.

I appreciate the Aussie "She'll be right" spirit,  but this might be a bit big a push of the luck.

I reckon they'd have the be getting this thing to sail it. Surely a 118' race boat would make a terrible booze cruiser sure put some big nets & some booze on but for commercial survey too much weight. There was a partially built mast but not strapped on the deck so anyone's guess. 

Love some of the rather elliptical claims made in the documents referenced above - including "the sail plan has been drawn" - well,  there you GO !   it's been drawn -  nothing to it then....

yes, they are definitely motoring the boat to Aus. They plan to stretch it, believe it or not, and make it "the world's biggest party pontoon" and use it as a charter vessel on the Gold Coast. Nice folks, but seems like a really bad idea. They took on 1,300 gallons fuel yesterday using the onboard tank and 2 large fuel tanks strapped on deck.

I had seen the boat in Kauai for years, and then recently saw it on the hard (not actually in the boat yard but next to it) by the Phoenician boat yard out in Kapolei (west side Oahu).

I also appreciate the Aussie "she'll be right mentality", but this seems like a very very very poorly prepared vessel to take from Hawaii to Australia. Any piece of blue water requires a sound vessel with proper preparation, even a supposed jaunt downwind in the trades. 

3 hours ago, eli said:

lots of stuff on the web:

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des 60 ORMA/Rave.htm

http://antrimdesign.com/rave---earl-edwards-118-trimaran.html

and to correct the front page - looks like she was never masted, so is not now dismasted!

to be more correct - the front page was never mastered

Are these the same dudes who tried to sail from RI to Aus but abandoned ship a few hundred nm later? Sounds like the same M.O.

47 minutes ago, ronnie_simpson said:

yes, they are definitely motoring the boat to Aus. They plan to stretch it, believe it or not, and make it "the world's biggest party pontoon" and use it as a charter vessel on the Gold Coast. Nice folks, but seems like a really bad idea. They took on 1,300 gallons fuel yesterday using the onboard tank and 2 large fuel tanks strapped on deck.

I had seen the boat in Kauai for years, and then recently saw it on the hard (not actually in the boat yard but next to it) by the Phoenician boat yard out in Kapolei (west side Oahu).

I also appreciate the Aussie "she'll be right mentality", but this seems like a very very very poorly prepared vessel to take from Hawaii to Australia. Any piece of blue water requires a sound vessel with proper preparation, even a supposed jaunt downwind in the trades. 

Thanks Ronnie. I think the cost to get it to survey will be pretty prohibiting down here let alone berthing. Might be better off in the islands.

Do you know what engine they are running? 

That fuel tank set up is horrendous.

Rave has always fascinated me, I'll certainly be check it out if they make it. 

It's hard to imagine the number of things that could go wrong on this voyage.  Can infinity be squared?  This thing looks more ridiculous in reality than in the photo.  I'd say good on 'em for giving it a go.... but someone, somewhere will be coming to their rescue, likely causing someone else (a steamship company, taxpayers, you name it) to spend a lot of money on an ill-advised venture.  I hope they have a life raft on board.

SCANAS, I do not know what type of engine is in the boat. I do however highly doubt it was installed or spec'ed for such a voyage, especially with no rig in the boat!

Thanks Ronnie. You kinda answered the question. If you didn't see any outboards then we can assume some small inboard diesel. 

Remove all radios, flares, EPIRBs, sat phones and trackers then wish them bon voyage.

They have a Latvian skipper flying in from Saipan for the delivery as soon as he gets out of emergency treatment at the dentist office. He is getting paid on a daily rate...

Considering the old 'Playstation' was motored for thousands of miles before being converted to a film platform for Disney, the concept is not to far off. But I would have a shitload of spare engine parts, oils, and a good mechanic on crew.

47 minutes ago, longy said:

Considering the old 'Playstation' was motored for thousands of miles before being converted to a film platform for Disney, the concept is not to far off. But I would have a shitload of spare engine parts, oils, and a good mechanic on crew.

Yeah but that boat had already done a few 100k miles & was built without a budget. This thing hasn't left a 10m contour line before & was sitting in a paddock for 20yrs. 

13 hours ago, A-NU-START said:

The oil camping lantern is what seals the deal for me!

Rave%20interieur.jpg

Nothing says " high end" more than a spring clamp to tidy up a wire loom. Then there is that in in the lower right.

2 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Nothing says " high end" more than a spring clamp to tidy up a wire loom. Then there is that in in the lower right.

The bottom right corner..   If the engine (diesel?) control lines and lever are facing athwartship (?) its probably a good idea to have it all marked out so clearly.

Just needs a Delorme and he is good to go..

I don't like the feel of this one at all

So we have an unproven boat, cobbled together in the finest Hot Rod tradition,  leaving Hawaii for a South Pacific destination....

Wait, don't tell me...... I'm having a psychic premonition...

Thinking, thinking, GOT IT, YES, Guam / Saipan, in 3-5 months!!

But good luck to the crazy aussies who want to turn that into a wet spot party barge on the Gold Coast,

did they get inspiration from Capt. Piratedog and his Indo party machine...

On 10/26/2017 at 7:00 AM, CrushDigital said:

Is that a headboard for a bed?

Rudder

People should be welcome to send off from anywhere and desire to end-up anywhere W/O Regulation

That said To be eligible for Rescue @ Sea one should need to Pre Qualify before sending off

Many would be rescued before leaving land

AND No Friggin way should anyone be allowed to bring 100 Gal of Fuel off shore

in any tank that won't seal and float (Contain Contents) on it's own should whatever it's in sinks or falls apart 

These Fools are about to dump- 1,300+ gallons of fuel into the ocean

I don't think that's OK ..  :o

17 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Yeah but that boat had already done a few 100k miles & was built without a budget. This thing hasn't left a 10m contour line before & was sitting in a paddock for 20yrs. 

Well,  it did cross the Kauai channel somehow.  I'd be interested to hear how that went !

Much as I hate to agree with Woody,  those 3 framed tanks on deck look seriously sketchy. as does the helm cabana, and...most of it,  actually - but the on-deck fuel-load,  yep - that's the ecologic liability that worries me most.  That, and if abandoned that thing is gonna haunt the seas for sometime. 

I forgot just how rough the 'finish' on the boat is, too.  The surface looks like it was fiber-glassed with a broom and painted with a rake. 

Certainly IS big though,  have to say that.  Which helps.  

Some of the local wagging tongues (getting it wrong like the always do)  have called it the "Waterworld" boat - mistaking it for Loreal,  the 60 foot 'movie prop" boat,  (which was just out here for Transpac) - and while they demonstrate a clear blindness to little details like 50-odd feet of boat, there IS the point that this does look a whole lot more post-apocalyptic.

So they've got that going for them.

I wish them luck but I fear the boat isn't nearly done,  or well-tested enough.

Why does everyone get their knickers in a twist over this stuff? People have been going to sea in much worse for millennia. When did anyone deserve to die for not being as prepared as they could be. Get a fucking grip of yourselves.

And before someone goes on whining from their chair about the danger for rescuers - they are trained and equipped for far worse. I don't know a single lifeboatman who would stop these blokes.

The environmental aspects are pretty negligible - comparable to your car.

Good luck to them I say. This is the adventuring spirit that we're so lacking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gone Ballistic said:

Why does everyone get their knickers in a twist over this stuff? People have been going to sea in much worse for millennia. When did anyone deserve to die for not being as prepared as they could be. Get a fucking grip of yourselves.

And before someone goes on whining from their chair about the danger for rescuers - they are trained and equipped for far worse. I don't know a single lifeboatman who would stop these blokes.

Popcorn - check

Beer - Check.

Cary on.  

1 minute ago, Gone Ballistic said:

What's adventuring about a 20-30 day motorboat ride?  I wish them well but will be surprised if they make it on the first try.  

1 hour ago, Gone Ballistic said:

I've been asked about the damn story by no less than 4 (non-sailing)  people already !

1 hour ago, Gone Ballistic said:

I don't get it, either.

If the guys know what they're doing,  prep the boat properly, and take appropriate steps with their planning (weather, route), there's no reason the most exciting thing they'll be doing is playing canasta and spotting a few sea birds.

4 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

I don't get it, either.

If the guys know what they're doing,  prep the boat properly, and take appropriate steps with their planning (weather, route), there's no reason the most exciting thing they'll be doing is playing canasta and spotting a few sea birds.

attention to detail was everything when you are out of the environment

with only how you had prepared deciding yer fate

the Huge Fishtanks used to temporarily hold fuel are a harbinger of an Unhappy ending sooner than later

Those tank cages look like the ones every pressure washing business has strapped to a trailer.  They might be OK short of getting swept off by green water assuming they are strapped to hard points that are sufficiently hard.

As I said above they are called IBC intermediate bulk containers, they last forever, but agree precarious mounting. I would have gone for bladders & backup engines. 

• Like 1

Alternate propulsion in case of engine failure,   something simple, on an extremely stable yet easily-drive boat...hmmm  what COULD they use ????

ORACLE had a Brand New Mast for FREE (275' ??)

Mmmm it’s intresting to here what is being said. About this Boat and the trip they have planed and are about to undertake. 

I’m told the motor in he Boat has only 100 hrs or so on it and will push the boat along at 9 knots. It’s running a fixed blade prop.  As far as the planning the trip and crew are concerned. It’s been well planned by seafarers who have 100,000 miles + under their belts. 

Just remember, most of us can talk the talk and never walk the walk.

These guy’s are talking the talk and are walking the walk. If they pull it off them they  will be heroes and the arm chair admirals will say, I told you they could do it. If they fail the same arm chair admirals will say I told you so, they failed.

Yes it’s a big trip and good luck to them and safe travels and let’s hope they post a great story telling us about the trip. 

Good luck and have fun boys and girls 

pulpit 

On 28/10/2017 at 7:12 AM, duncan (the other one) said:

If the guys know what they're doing,  prep the boat properly, an

Dunc so think they will fit the cabana out with casement or double hung windows???

On 10/25/2017 at 10:44 AM, Great Red Shark said:

I remember them ( original builders ) telling all who would listen that they were going to do The Race in 2000 - and me,   saying, "No way in Hell you will be ready."  - This at about the same time that (the well-funded) Team Philips was folding up like a cheap card table at a wrestling match, in a monsoon.

Business trips to Kauai always involved a quick jaunt to the harbor to see what's what and make sure that boat was 'still there'  ( for the past 20 years )

I wonder how the crossing to Oahu went ?   That would likely have been her first voyage.

I appreciate the Aussie "She'll be right" spirit,  but this might be a bit big a push of the luck.

Crossed on a smooth night, went fine, decks are a bit slippery though.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:26 AM, Hawaiidart said:

My wife and I saw this monstrosity while heading out the Ala Wait Sunday.  It doesn't look like it could make to the Johnston Atoll, let alone Kiribati and beyond.  Delamination and duct tape abound on this monstrosity.  What's its history, anyway?  I don't recall seeing it in Keehi Lagoon, home of all marine monstrosities.

No delams to my knowledge, very solid glass work.

I sell millions of kg annually of dangerous chemicals in the same 1000 liter IBCs they are using for fuel tanks. Those things are very tough. The issue isn't the integrity of the container, it''s more about how they are mounted. 

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:33 AM, pulpit said:

Mmmm it’s intresting to here what is being said. About this Boat and the trip they have planed and are about to undertake. 

I’m told the motor in he Boat has only 100 hrs or so on it and will push the boat along at 9 knots. It’s running a fixed blade prop.  As far as the planning the trip and crew are concerned. It’s been well planned by seafarers who have 100,000 miles + under their belts. 

Just remember, most of us can talk the talk and never walk the walk.

These guy’s are talking the talk and are walking the walk. If they pull it off them they  will be heroes and the arm chair admirals will say, I told you they could do it. If they fail the same arm chair admirals will say I told you so, they failed.

Yes it’s a big trip and good luck to them and safe travels and let’s hope they post a great story telling us about the trip. 

Good luck and have fun boys and girls 

pulpit 

Standard line of BS for just about *every* dumbass stunt that SA runs across.

You all sit at your desks and these guys are out there actually sailing. People get away with all kinds of dumb stunts by blind luck, see Rimas floating from place to place. That isn't a hero, it is someone God must not want bugging him in person right now ;)

Looks like they made it - From the 'Multihull appreciation society' on facebook.

24294235_10155194824087076_6189172073348933414_n.jpg

1 minute ago, SCANAS said:

For those of us not on FB. Where did they make it to?

They are in Southport, Queensland just down the road from Southport Yacht Club Hollywell. 

Customs are just just going over the boat now and they will be clear of customs this afternoon and will be heading up too Coomera in the next few days for a refit and be turned into a party Boat. 

For all all of you who bagged the shit out of them just remember they are now flipping you all the “bird”.

We all talk the talk and can be full of piss and wind some times. These guy’s have talk the talk and now walked the walk. Let’s hope we all hear a few stories of the trip 

pulpit 

22 minutes ago, pulpit said:

They are in Southport, Queensland just down the road from Southport Yacht Club Hollywell. 

Customs are just just going over the boat now and they will be clear of customs this afternoon...

What's the deal with Southport as a designated port of entry..can you tie up anywhere and they come to you?

The cabana looks as though it made it one piece which is quite an achievement.

Pulpit I don't think anyone bagged them. 99% of posts say they are mad as hell, but wished them luck. 

I'd like to see it in the flesh. I have magazine articles about it at my parents house. Weather looks pretty good for a look & overnighter at tipplers in the tinny this week. 

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

What's the deal with Southport as a designated port of entry..can you tie up anywhere and they come to you?

Hey Jack, 

The Gold Coast can be a point of entry or exit if prearranged with customs.

When I took the kids Sailing today you could see the Boat from Hollywell. I walked around to were the Boat is moored as I know the guys who now own the boat and have seen some drawings of the plans for the Boat. When I arrived at the boat today customs was still at a the Boat for an hour or 2 and all was good. 

Im told its coming out of he water soon at Coomera 

pulpit 

On 12/2/2017 at 7:45 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks, I'm as surprised as anyone it did.

On 12/3/2017 at 7:54 PM, pulpit said:

The Fabulous Gold Coast can be a point of entry or exit if prearranged with customs.

You should use the citys full title.

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

You should use the citys full title.

LB

I’m very sorry that I don’t use the cities full title  when referring to southport.

please forgive my bad manners. 

The boat out is now out of the water in Coomera ( little New Zealand of the fabulous Gold Coast  ) and I’m told that the plans to modify the boat can now be finalised and he work on the boat is due to start next month. The concept photo’s that I’ve seen look good. 

Talking to the boys the trip was interesting and A lot of fun 

Pulpit 

Good on them for getting 'er done.  We sure didn't need another dead boat here - I was more WORRIED about them,  and those tanks than I was predicting failure.

If you'd seen the spindly shelter tacked together around the helm module out on the one ama,  you'd have cringed at the prospect of an open-water transit from that.

Sincerely GLAD they made it.   Also think it's GREAT that the boat will get a proper finishing off and sorting out - much too big to waste.

Love to hear any tales you hear about the trip - musta had some moments.

Please post developments.