• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Qman

Lone wolf - have you read it.

Hey guys, as with you i was interested in the scoop on some of the background story and downloaded lone wolf to have a read.  Richard gladwell is clearly a respected sailing journalist.  

unfortunately i have found the book to be very poorly written/ constructed.  Very disjointed, often repetitive and provides little insight into things that a lay person couldn't have observed from the outside.  maybe this is a symptom of modern media and forums like this.    But its incredibly disappointed to have constant de javu moments that you have read this bit before only to realise that you haven't some how skipped back a few chapters but that the book is actually repeating something it has already said.    Incredibly disappointing read, given the subject matter.  

I could tell from the few snippets I read here that it was going to be a mess.  Very disjointed and the use of quotes without quotation marks drove me crazy so I decided to pass on it knowing I probably wouldn't finish it if I bought it.  I guess that's what you get when you write and publish a book in ~3 months.

RG took an interesting approach to organizing the book, I heard him describe it in an interview. Perhaps that format made the timeline less linear than what you’d expect. He also referred to a guide on the inside cover that’s intended as a cross-reference of sorts.

• Downvote 1

Too rushed to catch the Xmas shoppers while ETNZ's success was still topical as they took the Auld Mug around the country. Dalton's book will be much more revealing..

1 hour ago, ezyb said:

I could tell from the few snippets I read here that it was going to be a mess.  Very disjointed and the use of quotes without quotation marks drove me crazy so I decided to pass on it knowing I probably wouldn't finish it if I bought it.  I guess that's what you get when you write and publish a book in ~3 months.

Yup, I'll wait till it pops up on TradeMe for 50c and buy it then.

12 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Yup, I'll wait till it pops up on TradeMe for 50c and buy it then.

ya tight bastard!

Stingette bought me the JS book, pre-ordered it and paid hellifIknow what, and I still haven’t read the dang thing! Am looking forward to it though, based on the reviews.

Yes. cover is very Michael Mouse. Thought he would make a better job of the content (have only read excerpts) but seems to be geared for lowest level of yachting interest. Pity. Because Gladwell can write well. No pun meant.

The title is ridiculous and inappropriate as a description of a team. I'm done with AC35 anyway. Onto to the next cycle.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Barnyb said:

ya tight bastard!

He he. 

Ive read both Chasing the Cup by Jimmy and Lone Wolf. IMHO one is is a Big Mac, the other a quarter pack. Unsatisfying and made for the masses, and didn't add much to the history and mystery of the AC. Lone Wolf seems to be a summary of press releases over the past 2 years. Jimmys book was neatly summarised by how he views himself at the end (GOAT? lol) 

"• Six cup campaigns; • The most America’s Cup race wins as skipper, on par with Sir Russell Coutts; • Greatest comeback in the history of all sports Won the Cup and defended it."

I'm hoping Alan Seftons upcoming release will be a little meatier, perhaps with wild Ginger Jus and a side of smashed egos.

I got Jimmy's book and I am up to just after the Young Australia AC campaign.  Keep meaning to pick it back up but kid commitments have prevented me.  Its an ok read.  Kind of dragged along about his early life but when he got hooked up with Syd Fisher it started to get into the subject matter I am interested in.  Really interested in reading what he did between Young Australia and Prada.  Might read it right now and find out.  ;)

WetHog  :ph34r:

Up late last night reading the first few chapters of Lone Wolf. Bloody good too. Great back history of the team, well written, good pace and accurate. Recommended so far. Just could do without the photo of Lenny gurning on the cover. 

By contrast, I've had Spittals book next to the bed at the bottom of a pile of books for a month. Haven't gone back after reading the generic ghost written waffle of the fuck up that was BDA for them. 

2 hours ago, trt131 said:

Pretty much what I would expect from a rabid Kiwi fan, anything NZ is great, anything Spittle (or Aussie) is crap

That is because it is true!

2 hours ago, trt131 said:

Pretty much what I would expect from a rabid Kiwi fan, anything NZ is great, anything Spittle (or Aussie) is crap

And the fact that a number of Kiwis here have bagged Gladwells book?

Take the eye patch off.

On 10/31/2017 at 3:30 AM, WetHog said:

I got Jimmy's book and I am up to just after the Young Australia AC campaign.  Keep meaning to pick it back up but kid commitments have prevented me.  Its an ok read.  Kind of dragged along about his early life but when he got hooked up with Syd Fisher it started to get into the subject matter I am interested in.  Really interested in reading what he did between Young Australia and Prada.  Might read it right now and find out.  ;)

WetHog  :ph34r:

The JS book is bit of a bore to be fair... some good insights but overall a pretty average read

2 hours ago, Barnyb said:

That is because it is true!

Keep your eyes out for Alan Sefton's new book BB - "Exposed". I've heard good things already from fellow one-eyed, jingoistic, in-bred, loser Kiwis. 

Coutts gets the comeuppance that's has been in the pipeline for a long time. 

1 hour ago, AKL wino said:

Keep your eyes out for Alan Sefton's new book BB - "Exposed". I've heard good things already from fellow one-eyed, jingoistic, in-bred, loser Kiwis. 

Don't call me one eyed. I have both eyes shut and my cousin just happens to be hot!

Sefton is a good guy and impeccably informed. Christmas reading hopefully.

3 hours ago, AKL wino said:

Sefton's book is on Amazon kindle store for pre-order, delivery tomorrow. About  US$11

10 hours ago, damagesmith said:

The JS book is bit of a bore to be fair... some good insights but overall a pretty average read

Yeah.  He just blew threw his time with Oneworld and Prada.  No real insight into any of them.  Disappointing. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

Just 10 pages in to Sefton's book - its pretty riveting so far... and will hopefully dispel some of the myths propagated over recent history...

Having said that I'm sure it will also be regarded as more one-eyed jingoistic kiwi wank by those found on the wrong side of his account...

Either way its proving to be the best of the three atm

On 11/2/2017 at 7:02 AM, WetHog said:

Yeah.  He just blew threw his time with Oneworld and Prada.  No real insight into any of them.  Disappointing. 

I didn't even finish it.  I'll admit I didn't have high hopes going into it giving Jimmy's love of cliches, but I made it as far as the Dogzilla challenge before I just gave up.  Can't really see myself picking it back up.

On 11/3/2017 at 12:02 AM, WetHog said:

Probably the less said about Oneworld the better!

36 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Probably the less said about Oneworld the better!

OneWorld out of Seattle was a campaign with great intentions and exceedingly cool vibes - before a Kiwi snake fucked it all up.

i just started "exposed" hopefully give something a bit more insightful, although his angle is pretty clear about his attitude to larrys legacy from page 1

We once had a thread about AC books. It was pretty thorough, and Hastings had contributed a lot.
Does someone still have the direct link or the title? We should revive it if it isn't locked yet.

• Like 1