• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Hugh Jorgan

Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Whisper said:

How long before her fb page is overrun by hecklers?  It’s public at the moment.

There is someone asking a few probing questions there.  I don't really care, except that the story seems pretty ridiculous, and she's either flat out lying, or exaggerating, and I'd kind of like to hear how she explains things,  if she bothers to answer.

The Devil's Triangle is calling...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

There is someone asking a few probing questions there.  I don't really care, except that the story seems pretty ridiculous, and she's either flat out lying, or exaggerating, and I'd kind of like to hear how she explains things,  if she bothers to answer.

The Devil's Triangle is calling...

The only Devil’s Triangle here is the one between her legs, and that is Satan’s hell hole. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Appel's FaceBook press release:  "As for other boats not seeing our flares... the other boats in the ocean missed the flares that were shot when the Titanic sunk, too."

Not true:  "Meanwhile, the SS Californian, which was the last to have been in contact before the collision, saw Titanic's flares but failed to assist."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Peanut Butter said:

 

...who told her, “If you can’t tie knots, tie lots.” 

Isnt she a dominatrix? Should be an expert at knots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Appel's FaceBook press release: "However, once the 100 ton steel fishing boat towing Sea Nymph backed into our 25 ton fiberglass vessel, [  .  .  ]"

Not true.  A stock Starrett & Jenks  45 weighs 15 tons.  And Appel's claim of adding 6 tons of fiberglass to the hull is highly unlikely, given the amount of time she had to work on the boat prior to embarking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tahsa's getting a little bit snarky on FaceBook:  "Tasha Fuiava Jen, you need to get some sleep...
First, a couple of them spoke broken down English -but you were on the bridge (on the radio) so ya probably didn't notice.
Secondly, we're not sure if all typhoons are classified as tsunamis.
But ha hah ha, sharing =]"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'd love to go see her speak to a room full of nothing but sailors.

I saw Zac Sunderland speak at a yacht club a few months after his voyage.  It was not pretty.  He stumbled a lot on sailing jargon and obviously wasn't the sharpest tack in the carpet.  He said he held the record for youngest to circumnavigate at the time of his voyage.  Not true, the WSSRC did not ratify his voyage (engine use and other problems),  although the ASA did.   He also spent considerable time promoting his plan to singlehand the Northwest Passage and asking for donations.  I don't think he got any  .  .  .

Appel, on the other hand, would be hilarious to hear, assuming the moderator(s) didn't just throw softballs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, axolotl said:

From Appel's FaceBook press release: "However, once the 100 ton steel fishing boat towing Sea Nymph backed into our 25 ton fiberglass vessel, [  .  .  ]"

Not true.  A stock Starrett & Jenks  45 weighs 15 tons.  And Appel's claim of adding 6 tons of fiberglass to the hull is highly unlikely, given the amount of time she had to work on the boat prior to embarking.

We have pics of the keel when she launched after the final “hull modifications.”

It is stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2017 at 5:04 PM, SVTankGirl said:
 

The Pahn Pahn distress calls that we made daily after we realized we could not return the last 726 nautical miles to Oahu from roughly 8 degrees North and 156 degrees West - that went unanswered and allowed us to reach Wake Island - were determined to be due to antenna issues that only allowed for a 1-2 nautical mile of reception. We thought we had about 200 miles reception and were notified of the discrepancy once aboard the Navy vessel. 

Had we known our calls were going nowhere - we would have used the EPIRB - but hindsight is 20/20. 

I find her communication problems explanation curious.  Apparently the "antenna issues" were the 4' whip antenna at the masthead failed, which implies a VHF antenna.  She's also stated they had a "ham" (or possibly SSB) transceiver aboard, which typically uses the backstay as an antenna.  Also a Sat-Phone, which includes an integrated antenna in the handset.  One would assume they also had a handheld VHF.

VHF transmissions typically reach out 25 miles or so with a masthead antenna and typically receive much further when communicating with the USCG because they have high power beam antennas located on headlands.  Except in tropospheric ducting conditions, where VHF can travel thousands of miles, quite rare in the waters the SEA NYMPH traversed.  But, thinking your VHF has a 200 mile range typically, that's insane.

HAM/SSB is the blue water sailor's com-link of choice, except if you can afford INMARSAT or equivalent.  HAM/SSB is good for thousands of miles but it takes some skill to operate and a serious antenna setup.  I doubt Appel's daily calls were through her alleged HAM/SSB transceiver, especially considering such transceivers gobbles up some serious amperage which requires a good onboard electrical system.

A Sat-Phone is a bit dodgy,  there's times when an Iridium/GlobalStar linkup will fail due to local constellation coverage (which will become available in 30 minutes or so later), although around the equator InmarSat should 100% linkup if your antenna has a clear view.  Many days of attempting a link should result in a link.  The problem with Sat-Phones is you gotta pay and keep your subscription up or it no workie.  Appel claims the Sat-Phone never worked; I suspect there was a problem with her handset or the billing subscription was suspended.

Therefore it's most likely the scenario Appel posits is that she broadcast a daily VHF Pan-Pan but heard no response. Well duh,  you're not going to reach anybody if your antenna is missing.  There's so many things wrong here.   In the remote Pacific Ocean there's nobody to hear you, and nobody to hear.  When near major VHF shore stations or other boats your VHF can *receive* strong signals even with a compromised antenna which cannot transmit.  And in populated areas the VHF transmissions are incessant, the USCG securite' announcements, fishing boats, yada-yada, you'll know if your VHF is having reception problems.  It's the CB radio of the ocean.  A cheap safety item is a  backup antenna for your ship VHF if your antenna goes bollocks or the mast gets shorter.  Pounding 25w into a 14" antenna can get results.

Appel claims communication with folks at Christmas Island and other near shore VHF encounters; sounds like she had a handheld 5w VHF, which are only good for a few miles. Her expertise concerning radio communications is suspect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, axolotl said:

Her expertise concerning << insertte topice heare>>  is suspect.

Thisse mitte be easiere/                                      :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'd love to go see her speak to a room full of nothing but sailors.

 

41 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thisse mitte be easiere/                                      :)

 

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

I find her communication problems explanation curious.  Apparently the "antenna issues" were the 4' whip antenna at the masthead failed, which implies a VHF antenna.  She's also stated they had a "ham" (or possibly SSB) transceiver aboard, which typically uses the backstay as an antenna.  Also a Sat-Phone, which includes an integrated antenna in the handset.  One would assume they also had a handheld VHF.

VHF transmissions typically reach out 25 miles or so with a masthead antenna and typically receive much further when communicating with the USCG because they have high power beam antennas located on headlands.  Except in tropospheric ducting conditions, where VHF can travel thousands of miles, quite rare in the waters the SEA NYMPH traversed.  But, thinking your VHF has a 200 mile range typically, that's insane.

HAM/SSB is the blue water sailor's com-link of choice, except if you can afford INMARSAT or equivalent.  HAM/SSB is good for thousands of miles but it takes some skill to operate and a serious antenna setup.  I doubt Appel's daily calls were through her alleged HAM/SSB transceiver, especially considering such transceivers gobbles up some serious amperage which requires a good onboard electrical system.

A Sat-Phone is a bit dodgy,  there's times when an Iridium/GlobalStar linkup will fail due to local constellation coverage (which will become available in 30 minutes or so later), although around the equator InmarSat should 100% linkup if your antenna has a clear view.  Many days of attempting a link should result in a link.  The problem with Sat-Phones is you gotta pay and keep your subscription up or it no workie.  Appel claims the Sat-Phone never worked; I suspect there was a problem with her handset or the billing subscription was suspended.

Therefore it's most likely the scenario Appel posits is that she broadcast a daily VHF Pan-Pan but heard no response. Well duh,  you're not going to reach anybody if your antenna is missing.  There's so many things wrong here.   In the remote Pacific Ocean there's nobody to hear you, and nobody to hear.  When near major VHF shore stations or other boats your VHF can *receive* strong signals even with a compromised antenna which cannot transmit.  And in populated areas the VHF transmissions are incessant, the USCG securite' announcements, fishing boats, yada-yada, you'll know if your VHF is having reception problems.  It's the CB radio of the ocean.  A cheap safety item is a  backup antenna for your ship VHF if your antenna goes bollocks or the mast gets shorter.  Pounding 25w into a 14" antenna can get results.

Appel claims communication with folks at Christmas Island and other near shore VHF encounters; sounds like she had a handheld 5w VHF, which are only good for a few miles. Her expertise concerning radio communications is suspect.

 

God, I love this place. The depth of expertise on any subject imaginable never continues to knock me off my chair.

And I’m not being sarcastic for once.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

More BS on the keel extension...

uh hello. this looks like around 2' to me ;) I don't see *that* in the original drawings :P 

(nobody said she extended it downward)

18A04486-16A8-482F-95C9-7A0413E7E75A.jpeg.cea5d261a717a2f62a24c7a11caaa5f7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Optical illusion - the rudder is turned hard stbd. The rudder blade centered is straight down below that "fin"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Morgan added the bustle after the first few 45s. That might be standard Starratt Jenks underbody...I don't recall. 

PS... Note the sloppily furled and uncovered mainsail. Her seamanship skills are akin to Rimas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ryley said:

uh hello. this looks like around 2' to me ;) I don't see *that* in the original drawings :P 

(nobody said she extended it downward)

18A04486-16A8-482F-95C9-7A0413E7E75A.jpeg.cea5d261a717a2f62a24c7a11caaa5f7.jpeg

Yes, she claimed she dropped the draft from 6.5’ to 8.5’.

Also, the drawings are for a Morgan 45. Hers is a Starratt-Jenks, based on the Morgan 45.  That bustle behind the rudder is present on several S-J boats listed on Yachtworld.

Also, the bustle does not weigh 6 tons.

Edit:  Sorry, I see some of you addressed these points as I was typing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better view of another Starratt. I also found some pics without a bustle. Seems to be a modification Starrat added to the mold. I assume to add some volume aft to compensate for greater weight aft.

 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Better view of another Starratt. I also found some pics without a bustle. Seems to be a modification Starrat added to the mold. I assume to add some volume aft to compensate for greater weight aft.

 

image.jpg

Bottom line:  There was no 6 tons of glass and no keel extension.  Just more lies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RKoch is right about the bustle being added by Starrett Jenks. I was all hot for their 'kit boat' concept when they started advertising and I remember the options and variations well. If you look at that aft view of NIGHTSHIFT you can see that the original taper to the hull above the rudder is quite abrupt. The delta shaped fairing you see on the Starrett Jenks was in response to that and I think there was an option to add a spade rudder that aligned with the new bustle. One could leave the original rudder as a keel trim tab (in vogue at the time) or just glass it in and let the more responsive aft spade rudder do the job. I had a friend in St John who is an excellent cabinetmaker who finished out a kit SJ 45 to very high standards and he sails it well with plenty of trophies on his mantel to show for it. Sadly, I think that boat was sunk in Hurricane Hole during IRMA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Swabbie said:

I would like to go on record and say her fenders are undersized.  I dont think anyone has pointed that out yet and I want the credit for it. 
But she may be using the paddleboard as a fender also  

They're a little low too, but that's probably to protect the hull from shark attacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A funny tidbit from her Facebook page:

“No storm huh?  This is raw satellite data
  Those white things are 'storms' over water. We were south of Maui and west of the big island going Southeast past south point and right into it.”

7B664BE0-3DA2-41D1-A4C9-ADF0E14C4337.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Whisper said:

A funny tidbit from her Facebook page:

“No storm huh?  This is raw satellite data
  Those white things are 'storms' over water. We were south of Maui and west of the big island going Southeast past south point and right into it.”

7B664BE0-3DA2-41D1-A4C9-ADF0E14C4337.jpeg

That whole discussion on FB is pretty bizarre. I like how the Asian community is up in arms about her comments about the fishermen who were trying to help her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fisherman aren't trained responders, nor are they under any obligation to tow her boat. Sailboats are usually damaged when coming alongside a larger boat at sea. She's just completely ignorant. If she's requesting assistance at sea, then subsequent damage is her responsibility. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peanut Butter said:

You’re right. 

I need to get out more.

Maybe I’ll buy a fleabag boat and find myself a mute, borderline retarded boyfriend. Then reinforce it with 12 tons of ferro cement. Install a deep fryer oil-burning Diesel engine. Load it with 2 llamas, 1800 snickers bars, and a grand piano. Paint a portrait of Herve Villechaize on the main. Get myself towed to the Chukchi Sea, where I’ll dance naked on the bow to the SOS beat of Morse Code, flagging-down passing zeppelins.

Film at 11. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile my buddy is still en route to bda with no mast or prop and the winds have begun to fuck him again- he was making positive vmg but it looks like he’s southing again... no word on oatmeal rations, attempts to befriend the gang of sharks have hit some turbulence when one of the sharks overheard someone talking shit on one of the slower sharks... 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

you have now officially put more thought and research into her story than she has...

I notte so surre, selfe dellussione is fulle time gig, fillde withe harde desissiones and deteminatione.                 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Peanut Butter said:

I need to get out more.

Maybe I’ll buy a fleabag boat and find myself a mute, borderline retarded boyfriend. Then reinforce it with 12 tons of ferro cement. Install a deep fryer oil-burning Diesel engine. Load it with 2 llamas, 1800 snickers bars, and a grand piano. Paint a portrait of Herve Villechaize on the main. Get myself towed to the Chukchi Sea, where I’ll dance naked on the bow to the SOS beat of Morse Code, flagging-down passing zeppelins.

Film at 11. 

The 1800 snickers idea is solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peanut Butter said:

I need to get out more.

Maybe I’ll buy a fleabag boat and find myself a mute, borderline retarded boyfriend. Then reinforce it with 12 tons of ferro cement. Install a deep fryer oil-burning Diesel engine. Load it with 2 llamas, 1800 snickers bars, and a grand piano. Paint a portrait of Herve Villechaize on the main. Get myself towed to the Chukchi Sea, where I’ll dance naked on the bow to the SOS beat of Morse Code, flagging-down passing zeppelins.

Film at 11. 

Our you dricken againe my frende?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, USA190520 said:

Meanwhile my buddy is still en route to bda with no mast or prop and the winds have begun to fuck him again- he was making positive vmg but it looks like he’s southing again... no word on oatmeal rations, attempts to befriend the gang of sharks have hit some turbulence when one of the sharks overheard someone talking shit on one of the slower sharks... 

 

 

Oh man, how close is he?  Looking at windy.com again, anyone S of Bermuda trying to get north without engine or pointing ability is well and truly fucked until Saturday afternoon.  Then about 48 hours of S and SW winds of decent strength before it veers N again.   Of course this is just a forecast that will change.  Wishing him good luck.

Keeping with the original topic of this thread, hopefully your buddy put a "whole year" of provisions on board!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Our you dricken againe my frende?

 

Nope.

That’s me sober.

This is me drunk: “F*ck you and your people, f*ck face. You’re f*cked!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Peanut Butter said:

 

Nope.

That’s me sober.

This is me drunk: “F*ck you and your people, f*ck face. You’re f*cked!”

And "stand up, motherfucker! Stand up, and I'll put you and your fuckish buddy in the hospital!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, longy said:

Optical illusion - the rudder is turned hard stbd. The rudder blade centered is straight down below that "fin"

longy, on this one I'm gonna say nope. not an optical illusion. I knew I'd seen it before and it's in one of her "damage" videos. the rudder is in perfect alignment with the stub.

but yeah, I was only joking - she did say she increased the draft. Still, a very funky rudder design that absolutely looks wrong, like the design lets you do a spade rudder or the configuration shown.

 

Screenshot 2017-11-14 18.55.27.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jammer Six said:

And "stand up, motherfucker! Stand up, and I'll put you and your fuckish buddy in the hospital!"

Afraid I’m not quite so elegant. Lose the use of syllables after a couple days on the tit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Peanut Butter said:

Afraid I’m not quite so elegant. Lose the use of syllables after a couple days on the tit. 

When I was younger, I used to just say "go get the rest of your squad."

All single syllable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ryley said:

longy, on this one I'm gonna say nope. not an optical illusion. I knew I'd seen it before and it's in one of her "damage" videos. the rudder is in perfect alignment with the stub.

but yeah, I was only joking - she did say she increased the draft. Still, a very funky rudder design that absolutely looks wrong, like the design lets you do a spade rudder or the configuration shown.

 

Screenshot 2017-11-14 18.55.27.png

What our the dottes?  Ist that frome the sharkes?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jammer Six said:

When I was younger, I used to just say "go get the rest of your squad."

All single syllable.

 

Nice.

I tend to lead with, “Not in the face!”

All single syllables...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2017 at 11:01 AM, SVTankGirl said:

When they learned there were no men aboard, their eyes filled with the sights of fresh meat and dessert.

I don't think it would be that fresh. And Japanese men don't normally have fatty deserts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ryley said:

longy, on this one I'm gonna say nope. not an optical illusion. I knew I'd seen it before and it's in one of her "damage" videos. the rudder is in perfect alignment with the stub.

but yeah, I was only joking - she did say she increased the draft. Still, a very funky rudder design that absolutely looks wrong, like the design lets you do a spade rudder or the configuration shown.

 

What are we arguing about again? She's got a standard S/J hull. See post 1337 & 1341. This hull has the strange extension to the skeg, same as 1337. You can see the vertical aft edge just under 'se' of the label. There's no draft change, there's no additional material added anywhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sunseeker said:

The only Devil’s Triangle here is the one between her legs, and that is Satan’s hell hole. 

Lots of men have gone in there but very few have come out. It is a sharks clown car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-11-13 at 4:49 PM, Whisper said:

Yes, there is at least 6 tons and two feet of bullshit.  In fact, their “press release” intended to clarify the epirb issue is almost hilarious.

But I thought Tanky’s humor was pretty obvious.

Has anyone found an actual purpose or function for all the dyneema wrapped and tangled around the spreader? 

You could always ask her on her FB page.  Lots of folks asking tough questions and calling total b.s.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Lots of men have gone in there but very few have come out. It is a sharks clown car.

The fleet sailed in on the 1st of June, and didn't come out 'till fall.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sail(plane) said:

is this it?

large.appel.jpg.7b513ddd1f6251c34d442d1760e0146a.jpg

That route is highly unlikely, given 5 months Appel would have to had averaged 4kn to make 90 mile days continuously.  Given the sad state of her rigging and statements  that soon after the Force 11 storm they only used a reefed main and partially rolled up jib at most, and  used a kiteboard kite in the latter stages of the voyage one could assume her headway was more like 0-2kn.  Impossible, a well sailed S&J 45 is still a heavy under canvassed pig, especially with the single spreaders short boom spars, and 6 tons of fiberglass added to the hull doesn't improve things.

Oh, I get it now, this route is a sarcastic joke.  But it does beg the question, based on Appel's statements about raising land near several remote archipelagos (ignore the "Devil's Triangle" fix) her route could be reconstructed for a better idea of her actual route.   I suspect it's closer to 4,000 to 6,000 miles than some grand tour of the Pacific.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect they spent a while anchored at an uninhabited atoll. Never cleared in, so they don't want to admit they were there. Poor sailing skills, couldn't get back to Hawaii, ended up drifting west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2017 at 11:33 AM, Blue Crab said:

Am I blind? What's wrong with the pin?

if the pin is the issue, why is her half assed repair outboard of it?If that pin failed her knots (lots!) would fall off too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

You could always ask her on her FB page.  Lots of folks asking tough questions and calling total b.s.  

Maybe it's time for a little field trip! Who's in?

i might try and book a domination session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Maybe it's time for a little field trip! Who's in?

i might try and book a domination session.

Do you take your own dominoes or are they supplied?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ZeroTheHero said:

if the pin is the issue, why is her half assed repair outboard of it?If that pin failed her knots (lots!) would fall off too

Maybe because her 'repair' isn't as big a fabrication as her story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Maybe because her 'repair' isn't as big a fabrication as her story.

Yes, that's just a bunch of random spectra wound around for no reason. That's going to do squat to get her spreader back to the correct angle, which is her ostensible reason for doing it. Not that it needs it, looks pretty normal in the pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, that's just a bunch of random spectra wound around for no reason. That's going to do squat to get her spreader back to the correct angle, which is her ostensible reason for doing it. Not that it needs it, looks pretty normal in the pictures.

According to her video she says the spreader repair used "48ft of amsteel".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mookiesurfs said:
5 hours ago, Peanut Butter said:

I need to get out more.

Maybe I’ll buy a fleabag boat and find myself a mute, borderline retarded boyfriend. Then reinforce it with 12 tons of ferro cement. Install a deep fryer oil-burning Diesel engine. Load it with 2 llamas, 1800 snickers bars, and a grand piano. Paint a portrait of Herve Villechaize on the main. Get myself towed to the Chukchi Sea, where I’ll dance naked on the bow to the SOS beat of Morse Code, flagging-down passing zeppelins.

Film at 11. 

The 1800 snickers idea is solid.

Good Watch Snacks are key.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Good Watch Snacks are key.

I'm addicted to Clif bars on night watch. Choccy bars, not so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
58 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Good Watch Snacks are key.

I'm addicted to Clif bars on night watch. Choccy bars, not so much. 

Me neither. Too much chocolate makes my stomach feel nasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, B.J. Porter said:

Me neither. Too much chocolate makes my stomach feel nasty.

Especially from the outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
9 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Me neither. Too much chocolate makes my stomach feel nasty.

Especially from the outside.

it-puts-the-chocolate-on-its-skin-else-i

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, that's just a bunch of random spectra wound around for no reason. That's going to do squat to get her spreader back to the correct angle, which is her ostensible reason for doing it. Not that it needs it, looks pretty normal in the pictures.

I wouldn't bet money on it, but my guess is that the mess is supposed to hold the upper on to the spreader or at least supposed to give that impression.  I can't see what's going on under those spreader boots. Maybe they forgot the seizing wire? Departing Honolulu they'd have been on port and there was a period of fresh to frightening so that leeward spreader would have been bouncing around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see more pointless pics going up at the moment from The Blonde One.  A pic shows the waves made from a shark sans the waves and shark.  I've been reluctant to share my own story and evidence drifting in counter clockwise semi concentric rings one time in the Satan's Circle area.  I now feel empowered.

 

IMG_8112.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

I see more pointless pics going up at the moment from The Blonde One.  A pic shows the waves made from a shark sans the waves and shark.  I've been reluctant to share my own story and evidence drifting in counter clockwise semi concentric rings one time in the Satan's Circle area.  I now feel empowered.

 

IMG_8112.JPG

Is this a Rorschach Test?

I see Big Foot giving the finger to Jen whilst riding on the back of the Loch Ness Monster.

Probably more truth in that than any of her other tales.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, axolotl said:

That route is highly unlikely, given 5 months Appel would have to had averaged 4kn to make 90 mile days continuously.  Given the sad state of her rigging and statements  that soon after the Force 11 storm they only used a reefed main and partially rolled up jib at most, and  used a kiteboard kite in the latter stages of the voyage one could assume her headway was more like 0-2kn.  Impossible, a well sailed S&J 45 is still a heavy under canvassed pig, especially with the single spreaders short boom spars, and 6 tons of fiberglass added to the hull doesn't improve things.

Oh, I get it now, this route is a sarcastic joke.  But it does beg the question, based on Appel's statements about raising land near several remote archipelagos (ignore the "Devil's Triangle" fix) her route could be reconstructed for a better idea of her actual route.   I suspect it's closer to 4,000 to 6,000 miles than some grand tour of the Pacific.

 

Well, it is a joke, but as far as the route, I followed blow by blow Jens tale posted by tankgirl(?). I couldn't check on fb if it was changed by the poster for comic effect, that's why I'm asking: is this what jen is saying? Never mind if it is possible, but is this the latest version of the story? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I don't think it would be that fresh. And Japanese men don't normally have fatty deserts. 

They check the fat content before buying fish so the Samoan was likely the fresh meat, the white woman was dessert (with a fish box over her head).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, USA190520 said:

Meanwhile my buddy is still en route to bda with no mast or prop and the winds have begun to fuck him again- he was making positive vmg but it looks like he’s southing again... no word on oatmeal rations, attempts to befriend the gang of sharks have hit some turbulence when one of the sharks overheard someone talking shit on one of the slower sharks... 

 

 

Those sharks are going to have to eat and they're going to have to train their young on how to pop a sailor out of a boat, so they'll be back.

Try to get word to them to watch just after the momma shark makes her run. The babies are sometimes careless and small. The tail will come up close enough to just grab it and swing lil' sharky aboard. Yum yum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.c9ddf30a01aaec0227ec61476c52d0c1.png

6 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Is this a Rorschach Test?

I see Big Foot giving the finger to Jen whilst riding on the back of the Loch Ness Monster.

Probably more truth in that than any of her other tales.

Me to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Great White said:

According to her video she says the spreader repair used "48ft of amsteel".

That sounds prudent. Most cruisers recommend at least 40' to prevent spreader stretch. She's well within spec on that one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Is this a Rorschach Test?

I see Big Foot giving the finger to Jen whilst riding on the back of the Loch Ness Monster.

Probably more truth in that than any of her other tales.

I see boob's.  Is there something wrong with me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites