• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Hugh Jorgan

Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

6 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I understand the near shore shark experts factual representation of near shore shark size and behavior. It is doubtful the media would have been able to find a shark expert that had been through the Dragon’s Triangle. It is my understanding that only two fiberglass or wood sail boats with people have entered and exited the area in the past twenty years. The other guy said he “only saw birds”. Not only have I not been able to locate a single expert that can speak to the Dragon’s Triangle ocean life, I believe there are no other boaters from wooden or fiberglass boats, just sunken hulls without a voice.

So she's the only expert in the world who can tell us about how packs of offshore tiger shark parents teach their young to pop sailors out of boats?

That's reason enough to contribute to her media campaign. And to get her another boat and a Delorme asap.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I found this pic of the dragon's triangle but it is a bit blurry.

Pictured: A naked Appel dangling from a ceiling contraption in a seductive dance

It does show her best and only attributes though.:ph34r:

8 hours ago, W9GFO said:

The picture she chose is fitting for someone that is batshit looney.

J.Appel.jpg

Totally, fucking batshit looney!!!

"It was amazing to see people with zero ocean experience talk about whether or not I should have used the EPIRB. Do they know the use of an EPIRB without a sinking boat will most likely get you a fine, jail time and the guaranteed loss of the vessel? People I know have been put in jail, been fined and lost their boat for EPIRB calls that were not deemed true emergencies."

Bullshit:

"You may be fined for false activation of an unregistered EPIRB. The U.S. Coast Guard routinely refers cases involving the non-distress activation of an EPIRB (e.g., as a hoax, through gross negligence, carelessness or improper storage and handling) to the Federal Communications Commission. The FCC will prosecute cases based upon evidence provided by the Coast Guard, and will issue warning letters or notices of apparent liability for fines up to $10,000."

In her defence she was worried about the ramifications of an EPIRB that had been modified to resemble the BoneRanger, was AC and DC powered, was stuck insitu and where a gerbil was then employed to recover it, but it unfortunately died before they could light a match and extract it and all in the absence of anyone on board who answered to the name of Kinky Farnham. Very complex law involved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

In her defence she was worried about the ramifications of an EPIRB that had been modified to resemble the BoneRanger, was AC and DC powered, was stuck insitu and where a gerbil was then employed to recover it, but it unfortunately died before they could light a match and extract it and all in the absence of anyone on board who answered to the name of Kinky Farnham. Very complex law involved.

Thankyou for your service, Coastguard Gerbil.

Soooo, it’s the media’s fault she said the asinine and patently false statements during videotaped interviews?

Of the claimed 157,000 google hits, perhaps she should click on her own statements.

I always get a kick out of people who try to manipulate the press for their own purposes and then get all bent out of shape when they realize they can't control the narrative.  Encouraging press coverage is a risky endeavor, at best, as the press most often is too ill-informed to competently cover something or, worse, they will manipulate a story for entertainment value.  What does she think they are going to do about it now?  Nothing actionable because nothing malicious.  (In fact, the coverage was more than generous to them, I thought,)  And even if the press had made misstatements, 50k will only get an action going (if they're lucky).  I expect that they feel wronged but I wouldn't expect that a penny of any dough they raise will go to lawyers.

7 minutes ago, Beer Can said:

I always get a kick out of people who try to manipulate the press for their own purposes and then get all bent out of shape when they realize they can't control the narrative.  Encouraging press coverage is a risky endeavor, at best, as the press most often is too ill-informed to competently cover something or, worse, they will manipulate a story for entertainment value.  What does she think they are going to do about it now?  Nothing actionable because nothing malicious.  (In fact, the coverage was more than generous to them, I thought,)  And even if the press had made misstatements, 50k will only get an action going (if they're lucky).  I expect that they feel wronged but I wouldn't expect that a penny of any dough they raise will go to lawyers.

$50k may not go very far as far as legal action goes - but it may go a long way in dungeon renovations - looks like some serious code violations goin' on in there.

4623836700000578-5063707-image-m-24_1510174918510.jpg

The wiring alone looks like a list of violations.........I can only imagine how inadequate the ventilation probably is

• Like 1

Over the last 2 weeks or so I've been surprised by Appel's vociferous defense concerning obviously false aspects of her voyage.  It also appears she's targeting unnamed riggers for culpable damages.  The GoFundMe appeal for a legal attack on the press is ridiculous.  Agreed the press first  mistakenly covered it as a rescue of a disabled vessel, but dug around for the backstory and did a good job of reporting thereafter.

So why is Appel pursuing this course?  The consensus is she's bat-shit crazy but I question that.  PT Barnum nailed it; 95% of folks (100% of blue water sailors) will dismiss her as a mad person, but due to the press worldwide coverage, with aggressive social media campaigns and possibly a lecture/book/DVD circuit she'll get support from the oblivious 5%.  That could pan out.

Right now I think Appel is in severe financial straits after throwing everything she had into the Sea Nymph; organic farm shut down, prostitution dungeon gone (that's what it is if your clients pay), landscape architect proposals dried up.  It appears her Sea Nymph attempted voyage to Tahiti was to start a new life far from her imploding life in Hawaii. I'm wondering who paid for the Japan-New York flight, who will pay for the transcontinental transportation to the CONUS west coast, and whether Appel will return to Hawaii to attempt to resume her nefarious occupations.

Note I don't mention Tasha.  It's curious they're still hooked up, cosigning press releases and still a pair. I guess Tasha's position is it's much more fun than being a minimum wage security guard in Hawaii, but in the long term, I suspect her acumen.  I feel sorry for her, it may end badly.

The Dragon's Triangle, according to cultists:

"Dragons triangle: There are many possible reasons and sayings for the disappearance of ships and plane in the dragons triangle.

They are

1. There are ghostly creatures in that place which capture whoever enters the area.

2. There is a mysterious mist that makes anyone unconscious and then a scary, man-like creature attacks.

3. Whoever is dead there before may be mind controlled by some beings, making the mind controlled ones to attack others.

4. It may be a gateway to another dimension and once entered, can't come out.

5. Those who enter these areas are kidnapped by mysterious beings.

6. There may be inhabitants of that place who will seize anyone entering the place.

7. Watch out – there may be a paranormal traps up there.

8. It may be a haunted location where beings are not exposed to the outer environment.

9. In the olden days there was a huge war between a group of advanced technological groups, and whoever won those battles has captured that place and do not expose them to the public because they are guarding some secret treasure.

There is not much possibility for scientific forces to operate in that area. There is a saying that you should not cross certain border of land without the right person. The creatures in that area cannot cross the triangle. If they cross it, they may lose their power. It's their area where it's hard to go for us, likewise they can't come here due to some reason.

Please don't use any bad words about those who were related to this triangle and paranormal concept; they have men everywhere. They know what you think, they hear what you talk in every corner of the world.

If you don't obey these words, they will give you trouble indirectly. For others may be look like they are sleeping, but unnoticed by others, you may suffer due to paranormal forces of them. These forces have victimized many people around the world, so please be careful with this group of terror makers."

Right up Appel's alley concerning radiation hysteria, Hawaiian mythology, and GMO fears.

4 hours ago, 12 metre said:

$50k may not go very far as far as legal action goes - but it may go a long way in dungeon renovations - looks like some serious code violations goin' on in there.

4623836700000578-5063707-image-m-24_1510174918510.jpg

Funny, I saw her video on the spreader jury rig with 50' of Spectra lashings.

If anyone can tie a knot to save a boat, it's certainly this mental defective based on the above picture......

On 11/26/2017 at 2:28 PM, SVTankGirl said:

The comments have erupted on the GoFundMe page in the last couple hours. Everything is against her, but she is commenting back arguing that she has been mistreated by the press. Funny stuff. More action now then FB.

42 minutes ago, Great White said:

The comments have erupted on the GoFundMe page in the last couple hours. Everything is against her, but she is commenting back arguing that she has been mistreated by the press. Funny stuff. More action now then FB.

Thanks.  It is quite amusing.  At last Reid Stowe had some supporters and had his defenders.  But these gals seem to have zero support.  Just a bunch of folks uniformly mocking them.  Still only one anonymous donation ($5), which I suspect was a "seed" donation by Appel.

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

She dossente tacke depossittes?

Snaggle I don't believe the many innate objects at her disposal both with and without heartbeats constitute deposits...more like forced entry.

9 hours ago, axolotl said:

Right now I think Appel is in severe financial straits after throwing everything she had into the Sea Nymph; organic farm shut down, prostitution dungeon gone (that's what it is if your clients pay), landscape architect proposals dried up.  ...

I'm pretty sure she can conduct business as a "counselor". Or entertainer performing "psychological role playing".

So long as, you know, no fluids are exchanged... that we know of...

I'm just about at the point where I'd like to start a GoFundMe page of my own to pay for a lobbyist to petition the government to investigate, prosecute and recover the SAR expenditures, but that's not my sort of personality and I don't want to get dragged down into her own sewer.

Gotta say though that if somebody else started a page like that I would definitely contribute. It would be awesome if Sailing Anarchy would make that an official project, but then again that might not be good for the image of Sailing Anarchy.

8 minutes ago, Parma said:

I'm just about at the point where I'd like to start a GoFundMe page of my own to pay for a lobbyist to petition the government to investigate, prosecute and recover the SAR expenditures,

The government would spend more money on an investigation than they spent on the SAR.  but go ahead and petition them and see how far you get.

6 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

The government would spend more money on an investigation than they spent on the SAR.  but go ahead and petition them and see how far you get.

They could always add the amount expended for the investigation to the amount expended for the SAR, couldn't they?

But like I said it's not my style, probably would not be good for the image of Sailing Anarchy and I realize she is probably unable to pay any such levy, fine and penalty plus interest.

On the other hand, maybe she could work it off?

I just hit up Appel for a long form interview on the SA Podcast, to give her a chance to set the record straight.  I think it would be a fascinating conversation.  Will let you all know what happens and provide you with an opportunity to ask questions if she agrees.  Maybe we'll do it as our first live podcast.

• Like 6

alan, as much as i appreciate your efforts i think giving these clowns any more press is foolish. their 15 minutes was up weeks ago. their story is complete shite and there's no good to come with feeding the monster

5 minutes ago, aA said:

alan, as much as i appreciate your efforts i think giving these clowns any more press is foolish. their 15 minutes was up weeks ago. their story is complete shite and there's no good to come with feeding the monster

Alan just want to take the piss out on them!!

6 minutes ago, aA said:

nail in the coffin?

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I just hit up Appel for a long form interview on the SA Podcast, to give her a chance to set the record straight.  I think it would be a fascinating conversation.  Will let you all know what happens and provide you with an opportunity to ask questions if she agrees.  Maybe we'll do it as our first live podcast.

Alan - I hope you get the interview but I am afraid that their drugged up rants will put you into a coma quickly.

Not sure why GoFundMe would allow crap like this when there are real people out there trying to raise real money for real problems.  I also wonder what idiot would waste $5 they raised over the last two days.

From the GoFundMeSite

2 hours ago

I'm just about at the point where I'd like to start a GoFundMe page of my own to pay for a lobbyist to petition the government to investigate, prosecute and recover the SAR expenditures you have incurred, but that's not my sort of personality and I don't want to get dragged down into your own sewer. Gotta say though that if somebody else started a page like that I would definitely contribute and I'd bet thousands of others would as well. It would be awesome if some organization like Sailing Anarchy would make that an official project, but then again that might not be good for the image of Sailing Anarchy.

9 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I'm pretty sure she can conduct business as a "counselor". Or entertainer performing "psychological role playing".

So long as, you know, no fluids are exchanged... that we know of...

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is.

Those must be pretty steep filing fees—particularly considering most jurisdictions will waive fees for indigents.  $50,000???

So she intends to represent herself?  That will be special.

1 hour ago 

Charly Megnin - I am hoping the funds cover the pro se filing fees. The comments, here and elsewhere, make the case.

Starting to think they simply hid out in the Marshall Islands, Bikini Attol most likely, and got their brains fried with good old fashioned plutonium. That is easy to check, just turn the light out.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Starting to think they simply hid out in the Marshall Islands, Bikini Attol most likely, and got their brains fried with good old fashioned plutonium. That is easy to check, just turn the light out.

Her lights have been out for a long time.

5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Update: Jennifer agreed to an interview.  Trying to decide whether I go see her here in NY tomorrow or go home as planned and then do it via Skype on Friday after I've had some time to prepare properly.  Seems like a cool chick, and I'd like to hear her side of the story.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aA said:

I don't know about that aA.  Only one way to find out what really happened out there, and that's certainly not by listening to mainstream accounts.  Jennifer also sent in a long and detailed story to Bluewater Sailor that is supposed to run at some point.  Anyway, doesn't hurt to sit down and see what happens.  I'm sure they've got interesting stuff to say, and if they're as clueless as they have been painted to be, it will become apparent quickly.  On the phone Jennifer sounded smart, quick-witted, and had a sense of humor.  Good criteria for a podcast.

10 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Update: Jennifer agreed to an interview.  Trying to decide whether I go see her here in NY tomorrow or go home as planned and then do it via Skype on Friday after I've had some time to prepare properly.  Seems like a cool chick, and I'd like to hear her side of the story.

Interview them separately with no cross talk. I believe  J kept T misled throughout the voyage to explain/cover up the bizarre nature of her decisions/actions.

19 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I would like to know what really happened to the spreader. It. Looks like something pulled it out of alignment(halyard, sail, dancing on the spreader) and bent the pin. All I seem to hear is that She blames the rigger.

19 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

She sounds like a child changing her oral story constantly, and changing her written story, blaming the errors on typos.

Most of the things she blames the media for were actually her own words voiced in videos.

There are many ex-coworkers and neighbors who do not share your perception.  I know them.

My interview of them would read as a deposition.  Remain skeptical.

12 minutes ago, Great White said:

I would like to know what really happened to the spreader. It. Looks like something pulled it out of alignment(halyard, sail, dancing on the spreader) and bent the pin. All I seem to hear is that She blames the rigger.

Well, consider fisheye distortion if she used a GoPro for her video—it is very prominent in that clip.  I’m not convinced it is out of position.  I doubt it is.

Also, she described watching the alleged failure of the “bolt” over, I believe, a number of days.  With mast steps, why wasn’t the alleged failure cured before it allegedly caused a problem?

Add to that the allegedly damaged forestay, “forestay bracket,” and backstay.  Yet there was no appreciable headstay sag and the headsail was furled neatly.

I would like to know about the dogs.  I read that she did not intend to bring the dogs ashore in Tahiti, where she was allegedly sailing to basically start a new life.  Yet she could not have cleared customs in Tahiti without import permits for the dogs.  We know she did not have those because her dogs will require shots, tests, and a waiting period to get into Hawaii, which has essentially the same requirements as Tahiti.

I hope Clean will ask the pointed followup questions that the mainstream media was too clueless to ask.

And there is so much more....

Did they ever explain their watermakers?  Manual or electric? If electric, how did they recharge the batteries?

Sorry if this has been covered already, I dozed off for a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

My 1 cent: Go home, see your family, prepare and then interview

I would agree with that. You want to have prepared questions.

Done properly you might even get them to admit that a lot of what they did was BS. Done perfectly you might even get them to admit that the whole thing was a publicity stunt.

Either way that's a good catch Alan. I said somewhere before that you are the right guy to interview them. Kudos.

+100, Don't be soft clean, no softballs, give em the heater...  

Also, if you want click bait, Jennifer going south on camera would be irresistible to all those that pursued this story.  Sa going mainstream on Today etc. etc. etc.  To explain it all and tell the world the truth.  

32 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Well, consider fisheye distortion if she used a GoPro for her video—it is very prominent in that clip.  I’m not convinced it is out of position.  I doubt it is.

Also, she described watching the alleged failure of the “bolt” over, I believe, a number of days.  With mast steps, why wasn’t the alleged failure cured before it allegedly caused a problem?

Add to that the allegedly damaged forestay, “forestay bracket,” and backstay.  Yet there was no appreciable headstay sag and the headsail was furled neatly.

I would like to know about the dogs.  I read that she did not intend to bring the dogs ashore in Tahiti, where she was allegedly sailing to basically start a new life.  Yet she could not have cleared customs in Tahiti without import permits for the dogs.  We know she did not have those because her dogs will require shots, tests, and a waiting period to get into Hawaii, which has essentially the same requirements as Tahiti.

I hope Clean will ask the pointed followup questions that the mainstream media was too clueless to ask.

If she left from Hawaii, and the dogs were legal, and with papers, wouldn't she already have proof of shots and tests for Tahiti?

Most local (to HI ) dogs do not have up to date shots/vaccinations/ etc. To assemble all of them & have them ready to immigrate is a many months long process. And costly.

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I don't know about that aA.  Only one way to find out what really happened out there, and that's certainly not by listening to mainstream accounts.  Jennifer also sent in a long and detailed story to Bluewater Sailor that is supposed to run at some point.  Anyway, doesn't hurt to sit down and see what happens.  I'm sure they've got interesting stuff to say, and if they're as clueless as they have been painted to be, it will become apparent quickly.  On the phone Jennifer sounded smart, quick-witted, and had a sense of humor.  Good criteria for a podcast.

fair enough broseph. if i may mirror a previously posted sentiment and say 'no softballs, grill them and call them on the bs'. then maybe this will go away and maybe you'll win a journalists award...

14 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Northing is deade untille we saye it is!!!

Of course you are right & the ridiculous GoFundMe thing alone is like "Zombie serum".

7 hours ago, aA said:

Way better entertainment than Rimas has been providing of late.

CLEAN, be sure to ask about the Tiger shark parents training their young to pop a sailor out of a boat. That's my favorite part and needs extensive elaboration.

6 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Alan - I hope you get the interview but I am afraid that their drugged up rants will put you into a coma quickly.

Clean should take a minder with him, he may well end up tied to the ceiling. Or much worse, a Trump style film. 

16 minutes ago, aA said:

fair enough broseph. if i may mirror a previously posted sentiment and say 'no softballs, grill them and call them on the bs'. then maybe this will go away and maybe you'll win a journalists award...

Do you think that Gonzo journalist "Clean" cares about "lamestream" Journalist awards?   I reckon that if he was nominated, he would refuse to run.  And if elected, would refuse to serve!!!  (Can't find my purple sarcasm font????)

1 minute ago, mad said:

Clean should take a minder with him, he may well end up tied to the ceiling. 

ROFLMAO!!!  Post of the thread!!!

Keep in mind that Appel herself may be reading this, and that Clean wouldn't want to have her cancel the interview after seeing him trash her here.  Good call on his part to keep an open mind for the possibility that this could all somehow be some kind of misunderstanding, and to give her an honest opportunity to explain herself in the beginning of the interview. Especially if he's going to do it via Skype rather than in person.  The downside of not being there in person is that it's much easier when the questions get tougher to end the interview abruptly.  He needs to keep it respectful, as much as many of us would like to see him methodically tear her story apart.

The key is to be smart in the approach.  Maintain a tone of mutual respect even if the answers go into the nonsensical realm we've already seen many times.  Obtain the story, and politely ask hard questions that can't be answered without contradictions and/or nonsense, and then politely ask follow-up questions to re-affirm the point.  Drive it far enough to make it clear to a total non-sailor who bought everything they heard the first time that this can't be true.  

It needs to be the hard interview we're looking for, but it has to be done delicately, or she'll shut it down and look for easier interviews with landlubber press.

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

If she left from Hawaii, and the dogs were legal, and with papers, wouldn't she already have proof of shots and tests for Tahiti?

No.  If that were true they wouldn’t be holed up on the mainland.

I know this from experience and research.

I’m not sure,but didn’t that missle launched by N Korea  today land in the general area they were rescued from?  If they were still languishing out there,and the missle happened to fall right on their boat, now that woulda been a story!

7 minutes ago, Huntemupbob said:

I’m not sure,but didn’t that missle launched by N Korea  today land in the general area they were rescued from?  If they were still languishing out there,and the missle happened to fall right on their boat, now that woulda been a story!

Damn N Koreans blew up the killer sharks?

4 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

... Seems like a cool chick, and I'd like to hear her side of the story.

Of course she seems cool; all psychopaths appear cool or otherwise compelling. Theodore Bundy got his victims to willingly come along... to their death. Jim Jones did so too.

3 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Of course she seems cool; all psychopaths appear cool or otherwise compelling. Theodore Bundy got his victims to willingly come along... to their death. Jim Jones did so too.

Better do the interview by Skype. And wear a condom regardless.

• Like 3

Another point re: Clean's interview:

Psychopaths are generally pretty quick on their feet and can adapt to the situation of the moment (until they can't adapt, at which point you need to avoid being murdered.) So you need to avoid cornering her. Like others have said, approach this with a collaborative attitude, not an adversarial one.

Also, I feel that a lot of the weirdness of this story stems from Jennifer knowing enough about sailing and the sea to know what she WANTS to say but can't quite find the correct phrasing--freezing-up under pressure. A lot of her stories stumble semantically and I think it's important to have her clear up her frequently obscure semantics. For example, when she says she thought they would die within 24 hours, I thought of how a boat behaves when it's being forced through the water at what? close to double its hull speed? How the towed boat would yaw and jerk around with the tow line momentarily slackening only to abruptly snap taut, upsetting those aboard both physically and emotionally. So some appropriate questions would be, "While you were being towed by the fishing boat, do you feel you were being towed too fast? How was it affecting the action of your boat through the water and your comfort on board? What do you feel might have been your cause of death in that circumstance?"  There are a lot of instances in her reports that are ambiguous and need to be cleaned up, especially if she is thinking about a book or screenplay.

There are multiple ways to interpret a lot of what Jennifer has said and I think Clean's best service would be to get past the cumbersome semantics and focus on the meaning of what she has said and written so far. I would prepare for the interview by printing out everything she's said so far, with dates, then red-line everything that needs clarification or reconciliation.

I can just picture Clean, Dawn and Lauher hanging around the water cooler exchanging notes and giggling.  <_<  And then Appel rounds the corner with an AK...  :ph34r:

47 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Recent studies show that UP 25% of CEO's are probably Sociopaths....

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Recent studies show that UP 25% of CEO's are probably Sociopaths....

God knows I've met a few of those!

And then there's the leader of the free world...

Just now, Somebody Else said:

God knows I've met a few of those!

And then there's the leader of the free world...

Angela is a sociopath?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, longy said:

Interview them separately with no cross talk. I believe  J kept T misled throughout the voyage to explain/cover up the bizarre nature of her decisions/actions.

Not enough time.  We're doing it with all three of us in my mom's house in Long Island.  I just rented microphones and a mixing board and am picking up the girls out East tomorrow afternoon and taking them here before bringing them to the train station.

6 hours ago, Whisper said:

I will ask whatever you guys post.  Ima start a thread because I don't have time to read this whole one, hopefully y'all can put some of this gold over there.