• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Hugh Jorgan

Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

15 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

so... why did you say you thought you only had 24 hours left to live if everything was fine ?

what led you to believe you would be incarcerated for using the epirb ?

why does damage you claim to the boat not look like much at all ?

and since you can sail, why didn't you just reef the sails and make way to landfall ?  the mast certainly wasn't going to fall-over. you would have been better off having the mast fall over in an attempt to make landfall vs. leaving your perfectly good boat as a floating hazard .

it was fine until we met the fishing vessel

I actually know someone (who used to be) in hawaii that was jailed, fined and lost a boat for an emergency call the USCG deemed a 'non-emergency'

that's your perspective

we did reef the sails, we did try for landfall - more than once - it was hurricane season in Hawaii  (May to November)

12 hours ago, Unkle Crusty said:

An easy one for for you. How and why did the first boat end up on the rocks? What was the primary cause of the mishap? It will help me to try and understand one small part of this adventure. My thinking is: Failure to understand this, might lead to failure to explain others issues.

I would also like to know what you mean by motorcycle racing. Where, when, against whom, what class and so on? 

Unkle Crusty

Ohhh a softball - One I don't like talking about

I had a person with me who had 16 years of experience.  We got out of the channel and when I went to put the main up - he turned the boat around and faced it into the rocks. 

Hard lesson learned about Capt watching crew while doing other things - and it was one I never forgot

Speaks to why I would take someone with no experience on the next trip - (maybe or maybe not your next question... now already answered)

About motorcycles - everything with two wheels touching asphalt  - except hot shoe, straight line (drag racing) or dirt

fifty to liters, all brands - 10 laps is cool but endurance is more fun

Does that help of do you want more specifics about bikes???

Oh - and we need some music for today.... Dr. Linus is doing his smear with messed up facts again

16 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Photos do not show a bent spreader. - you are right... it is a bent spreader bolt that allowed for too much fore/aft play - which then allowed the shroud to come out of its position and the seizing wire was no longer properly intact

did you open the seacocks to flood the boat - naw - even if they fail - if you look at the video from underwater - you can see the bunts I put in the "holes"

did the standing rigging fail - the backstay came unravelled - pictures are on the shutterfly account - you can't miss the 5/8" amsteel halyard wrapped around the backstay in the sunset pictures - it made a huge improvement - more than the ~200+lf of 1/8" amsteel I originally used to fortify the back of the mast to the stern tangs

Bent spreader bolt?  Why didn’t you replace it?  I heard you describe watching it happen over time.

What is a “bunt?”  Are you saying you jammed bungs in all the through-hulls from the outside and intentionally left a floating hazard to navigation?

How does a backstay unravel?  You said in the podcast there were no broken strands.  This is very confusing. How did the amsteel help?  Were you able to tighten it and take strain off the backstay?  It doesn’t sound like it if it were wrapped around the backstay.

You said you made no conflicting statements to the press.  But you did and we heard the words come out of your mouth.  The “press release” was also contradictory, but you blamed some of that on typos.

What does the name of your first boat mean?

You are quick to point out that you were not at the helm when your first boat was grounded.  Are you implying that the outcome would have been different if you were at the helm?  If so, then why weren’t you driving your own boat?  Who is to blame?

Speaking of blame, you seem to accept none.  The media trauma flustered you into saying things you didn’t mean.  Your press release and facebook posts are erroneous because of “typos.”  You seem to have explained this and other stories from the viewpoint of a victim surrounded by others who are either out to get you, or they are just bumbling idiots.  Your words and actions seem to be the fault of others.

I’m glad to hear you’re backing off the “Force 11” and gangs of giant tiger sharks defending their “living room.”  But sea life was interested in your dogs?  That’s as silly as your interpretation of the dolphin encounters being welfare checkup calls.  You’re not the first to cross oceans with dogs.

Finally, I don’t understand your use of the word “acquiesce” in the discussion of the daily mail.  Do you?

If I were you, I would not answer my questions, or any others.  I would delete my SA account, delete the GoFundMe, make your Facebook page private, and sink into obscurity.  This 15 minutes of fame is not helpful to you.  The more you try to set the record straight, the deeper hole you dig.  The SlowBoat and Clean interviews did not help you.  Posting here does not help you.

Let people forget about you—that will not take long for the public at large.  Then resume your career, or whatever you want to do.  Get a fresh start.

Jen.

So someone else aimed the previous boat at a rock and hit it. Makes perfect sense.

Did you race on a road race track against other riders? Where, as in what track and what class? 

I also understand you augered in at one point. Many do. Lots of guys that sail ride bikes.  Some go to track days and call that racing. These two simple lines of thought give me an idea for how to take the rest of the story.

I will not be the one who judges.

Unkle Crusty

I would also like to know what happened to the latest boat. Was it left in a sinking state, or a basically seaworthy state. This will be another of many attempts to get an answer to this.

Unkle Crusty

58 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

I actually know someone (who used to be) in hawaii that was jailed, fined and lost a boat for an emergency call the USCG deemed a 'non-emergency'

please provide a name and date range for this incident Jen, because this is very easy to verify and I would very much like to do that.

21 minutes ago, Unkle Crusty said:

I also understand you augered in at one point. Many do. Lots of guys that sail ride bikes.  Some go to track days and call that racing. These two simple lines of thought give me an idea for how to take the rest of the story.

someone's getting the idea

9 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

please provide a name and date range for this incident Jen, because this is very easy to verify. 

I thought doing jail time for non-emergency activation wasn't true,  so poked around the InterWeb.  From sarsat.noaa.gov:

"In the U.S. it is a violation to intentionally transmit a false alert. Doing so could result in fines or jail time. Repeated false alerts, although not intentional, could also result in penalties." 

17 hours ago, Jennifer said:

FALSE – misleading statement of events, over a period of years racing, I broke nearly every bone but not all at once AND Roman Kalinowski is not a boyfriend
No actual medical documentation supports RK’s opinion that my judgment or brain has been impaired

Maybe, but this post surely does :o:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Thread Killer said:

Why did you say that you increased the draft of your boat by two feet - and used that as a reason why you couldn't get into safe harbors?

Having someone else at the helm does not relieve you of responsibility for crashing your own boat.

How stoned were you during Clean's interview?

What is the real reason that you didn't stop in Kiribati? You have given several answers - boat too big (it isn't - by a long shot), denied entry (not believable), didn't want to go in at night (nonsensical - just wait till the next day) and some other reason concerning something with shipwreck in the name.

How do you account for being five months at sea if you weren't drifting for a large portion (majority) of that time? In that amount of time you could have covered over ten thousand miles averaging less than 3 kts.

Why did you say nice things about the people on the fishing boat that tried to help you, then later accuse them of wanting to murder/rape you?

Why did you say that you increased the draft of your boat by two feet - and used that as a reason why you couldn't get into safe harbors?

Please find this quote for me including the sentence preceding it - "Why did you say that you increased the draft of your boat by two feet"

Manele is on Lanai - I lived there - the depth is 7' -

http://wikimapia.org/8986260/Manele-Small-Boat-Harbor

Purpose of Facility: Mooring fishing-and-excursion vessels; boarding passengers. Current Operator: State of Hawaii, Department of Land and Natural Resources; and others. Tel: (808) 877-6051. Commodities: Ferried Autos, Passengers. Remarks: Additional berthing space for fishing-and-excursion vessels is at series of twelve timber-capped concrete pile, concrete-decked piers at inner side of Manele Harbor. Piers are approximately 45 feet long by 4 feet wide. Excursion vessels "Expeditions" at east pier; and "Trilogy" at west pier are operated by two separate companies. Vessels are based at Manele Harbor, which straddles Lahaina and Maui. Two timber-capped steel pile, steel-decked piers on each side of rock jetty, each fronted by rubber-fender system. Total Berthing Space/depth (feet): 75'/7'; 60'/7'.
Year of Last Survey: 1998 Corps of Engineers Waterway Code: 84517 Dock Code: 005 Pacific Ocean Division.

Lahina is on Maui - Been there many times - the chanel is 8'

https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Content/Attachments/1426/MSIB 11-004 Lahaina Harbor Entrance.pdf

My Sea Nymph drafts more than both of those facilities will allow

------------------------------

Having someone else at the helm does not relieve you of responsibility for crashing your own boat. - ya no I tink ewe migte b own tu sumptin - eye tuuk responsibilty fer it

---------------------------------------------

How stoned were you during Clean's interview?

mo than ewe er now

-------------------------------------------

What is the real reason that you didn't stop in Kiribati? You have given several answers - boat too big (it isn't - by a long shot), denied entry (not believable), didn't want to go in at night (nonsensical - just wait till the next day) and some other reason concerning something with shipwreck in the name.

http://images.nationmaster.com/images/motw/australia/kiritimati_island_77.jpg

I believe this chart is in fathoms - the one I had on the boat also noted a two knot current on both sides of the island at North West Point and South West Point  going from east ot west - the only viable entrance I could see on my chart was south passage but I did not feel comfortable with much rhode if the wind/current changed - since the interior is only one fathom - and we have already established that one fathom is not enough - we did not have a chart specific enough to view the coral heads

It was night and Tasha did get turned around going east instead of south - so doing donuts until dawn was not really an option I was comfortable with

We were told by the calling station on chanel 16 not to enter the lagoon and that they did not have any protected waters where doing a rigging patch would be safe - we were told to move on

ju dunt hav 2 b leeve mee but dis id da truf

...and while we are at it - where exactly is the large commercial airport here?

-------------------------------------------------

How do you account for being five months at sea if you weren't drifting for a large portion (majority) of that time? In that amount of time you could have covered over ten thousand miles averaging less than 3 kts.

Clean should get the final number off the gps - I believe it was a little over 9,500 nm

Does appear that I am enjoying watching people try to come up with our track - nobody has it spot on yet

------------------------------------

Why did you say nice things about the people on the fishing boat that tried to help you, then later accuse them of wanting to murder/rape you?

Do you have a copy of the initial call?  I asked Clean to post it

... a series of pictures, supported by mostly false allegations, have clouded my otherwise spotless professional life – 

This is like Jackie Kennedy saying that apart from the drive past the book depository, she quite enjoyed her trip to Dallas.

15 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Congratulations. Ignored.

As has been disclosed on here previously, by myself, and others, an Internet troll, calling himself "Jammer Six", has been well documented and discussed.....  Google finds some nuggets, not that I can be arsed.  And, I don't mean the "troll" that hides under a bridge, but the one that baits people on forums to specious arguments and shitfights..

16 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

I believe this chart is in fathoms - 

You can't make this shit up. Jen take Wispers advice. Any normal person that had fucked up this badly - both nautically and in the PR sense would want to crawl under a rock, but instead you just keep craving attention. Trust me you will not get any joy here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

Bent spreader bolt?  Why didn’t you replace it?  I heard you describe watching it happen over time.

What is a “bunt?”  Are you saying you jammed bungs in all the through-hulls from the outside and intentionally left a floating hazard to navigation?

How does a backstay unravel?  You said in the podcast there were no broken strands.  This is very confusing. How did the amsteel help?  Were you able to tighten it and take strain off the backstay?  It doesn’t sound like it if it were wrapped around the backstay.

You said you made no conflicting statements to the press.  But you did and we heard the words come out of your mouth.  The “press release” was also contradictory, but you blamed some of that on typos.

What does the name of your first boat mean?

You are quick to point out that you were not at the helm when your first boat was grounded.  Are you implying that the outcome would have been different if you were at the helm?  If so, then why weren’t you driving your own boat?  Who is to blame?

Speaking of blame, you seem to accept none.  The media trauma flustered you into saying things you didn’t mean.  Your press release and facebook posts are erroneous because of “typos.”  You seem to have explained this and other stories from the viewpoint of a victim surrounded by others who are either out to get you, or they are just bumbling idiots.  Your words and actions seem to be the fault of others.

I’m glad to hear you’re backing off the “Force 11” and gangs of giant tiger sharks defending their “living room.”  But sea life was interested in your dogs?  That’s as silly as your interpretation of the dolphin encounters being welfare checkup calls.  You’re not the first to cross oceans with dogs.

Finally, I don’t understand your use of the word “acquiesce” in the discussion of the daily mail.  Do you?

If I were you, I would not answer my questions, or any others.  I would delete my SA account, delete the GoFundMe, make your Facebook page private, and sink into obscurity.  This 15 minutes of fame is not helpful to you.  The more you try to set the record straight, the deeper hole you dig.  The SlowBoat and Clean interviews did not help you.  Posting here does not help you.

Let people forget about you—that will not take long for the public at large.  Then resume your career, or whatever you want to do.  Get a fresh start.

I couldn't get the damn thing out - but when I get around or when Clean gets around to putting the riggers invoice on here - it will make much more sense

--------------------------------

What is a “bunt?”  I knew I was getting tired last night

Are you saying you jammed bungs in all the through-hulls from the outside  - yes

and intentionally left a floating hazard to navigation? BECAUSE I EXPECTED TO RECOVER THE BOAT AND WOULD STILL LIKE TO (SAR knows to call me and I will fly out to whatever waters she is still floating in for a recovery)

---------------------------------

I guess you didn't look at the pictures or video

What does the name of your first boat mean?  none yo business - seems you've already been too "offended" by some of the lesser things I have said

---------------------------------------

You are quick to point out that you were not at the helm when your first boat was grounded.  Are you implying that the outcome would have been different if you were at the helm?

YES

If so, then why weren’t you driving your own boat?  

DID YOU READ THE ANSWER I GAVE IN THE OTHER POST - asked and answered

Who is to blame?

THE CAPTAIN

--------------------------------------------

Speaking of blame, you seem to accept none.  I CALL BULLSHIT ON THAT - WHEN SOMETHING IS MY FAULT - I ACCEPT - WHEN ITS NOT - I DON'T

The media trauma flustered you into saying things you didn’t mean.  Your press release and facebook posts are erroneous because of “typos.”  

SAME WITH BUNTS AND BUNGS

You seem to have explained this and other stories from the viewpoint of a victim surrounded by others who are either out to get you, or they are just bumbling idiots.

HAVE YOU SEEN DR. LINUS' POSTS OR DANGEROUSLY OVERCOOKED ONION RINGS OR ANY OF THE OTHER RIDICULOUS BLOGS???

Your words and actions seem to be the fault of others.

OH YOU WISH - PULL UP YOUR PANTS - THE BROWN O BELOW YOUR PLUMBERS CRACK IS SHOWING

The years of racing quote is listed under the heading of false. But which part is false I do not know. Jen alludes to the head thump I am assuming. It happens.

I would like to get a bit of clarity for just about anything. And it is not happening.

For instance, the first boat on the rocks. I noticed it had an outboard motor on the back. It would be nice to know if that was driving the boat, and if so were there swells / slash waves about, and if there were did the OBM pop out of the water now and then. Or did it quit. To me these are not difficult concepts. 

In the past I have freely discussed running aground, more than once, sailing upside down and so on. But it is not about me.

Unkle Crusty

1 hour ago, Unkle Crusty said:

Jen.

So someone else aimed the previous boat at a rock and hit it. Makes perfect sense.

Did you race on a road race track against other riders? Where, as in what track and what class? 

I will not be the one who judges.

Unkle Crusty

Unkle,

WERA, AMA, 24 hours at nelson ledges before it quit -  and many track days which were not racing -  fun between us and twisties in the tx hill country, three sisters, (over / unders), tail of the dragon and cherohola skyway come to immediate mind

didn't auger in - high side road ending in a failing to pass aaron yates

made me a much better designer that wheelchair time did (pre ADA rules installation)

1 hour ago, Unkle Crusty said:

I would also like to know what happened to the latest boat. Was it left in a sinking state, or a basically seaworthy state. This will be another of many attempts to get an answer to this.

Unkle Crusty

Actually this is the first time I have seen the question -

SO WOULD I

Sea Worthy in my opinion but too slow to outrun the typhoon at that point

when the navy approached, I was under the impression that with their extra parts and hands we were going to fix the boat - I wasn't actually planning to leave it because they asked if it could be fixed and sent people to assist - I still believe fixing her could still be done in protected waters

We left because we were ordered to leave by the Navy

12 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

I couldn't get the damn thing out - but when I get around or when Clean gets around to putting the riggers invoice on here - it will make much more sense

--------------------------------

What is a “bunt?”  I knew I was getting tired last night

Are you saying you jammed bungs in all the through-hulls from the outside  - yes

and intentionally left a floating hazard to navigation? BECAUSE I EXPECTED TO RECOVER THE BOAT AND WOULD STILL LIKE TO (SAR knows to call me and I will fly out to whatever waters she is still floating in for a recovery)

---------------------------------

I guess you didn't look at the pictures or video

What does the name of your first boat mean?  none yo business - seems you've already been too "offended" by some of the lesser things I have said

---------------------------------------

You are quick to point out that you were not at the helm when your first boat was grounded.  Are you implying that the outcome would have been different if you were at the helm?

YES

If so, then why weren’t you driving your own boat?  

DID YOU READ THE ANSWER I GAVE IN THE OTHER POST - asked and answered

Who is to blame?

THE CAPTAIN

--------------------------------------------

Speaking of blame, you seem to accept none.  I CALL BULLSHIT ON THAT - WHEN SOMETHING IS MY FAULT - I ACCEPT - WHEN ITS NOT - I DON'T

The media trauma flustered you into saying things you didn’t mean.  Your press release and facebook posts are erroneous because of “typos.”  

SAME WITH BUNTS AND BUNGS

You seem to have explained this and other stories from the viewpoint of a victim surrounded by others who are either out to get you, or they are just bumbling idiots.

HAVE YOU SEEN DR. LINUS' POSTS OR DANGEROUSLY OVERCOOKED ONION RINGS OR ANY OF THE OTHER RIDICULOUS BLOGS???

Your words and actions seem to be the fault of others.

OH YOU WISH - PULL UP YOUR PANTS - THE BROWN O BELOW YOUR PLUMBERS CRACK IS SHOWING

Jennifer,

I did look at the pics and videos, and I still don’t understand the statements about your backstay.

About your first boat name:  What statements have I been offended by?  I’m no prude.  I am offended by lies, gross exaggerations, and ignorance, but not lifestyles.

If your comment about responsibility for the first boat grounding had been posted before I wrote my questions, then I would not have asked it.  However, if you take responsibility, they why has your first reaction always been, “but I was not at the helm?”

Good luck getting your boat back, and let’s hope nobody runs into it.  If it is found, the salvage claims could be insurmountable.

Do you get stoned before typing?  Your insults and flippant comments suggest you’re not serious about any of this.

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

please provide a name and date range for this incident Jen, because this is very easy to verify and I would very much like to do that.

Melissa (can't remember last name - but they will remember her) she was in the ala wai 600 row I think 2008-2011

People used to get us confused a lot - she had brown hair

I think it was off maui

I love how you ask me numbers LOL

4 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

Melissa (can't remember last name - but they will remember her) she was in the ala wai 600 row I think 2008-2011

People used to get us confused a lot - she had brown hair

I think it was off maui

I love how you ask me numbers LOL

Wow - photographic memory there :rolleyes:

No last name, no boat name, maybe in a three year time span, maybe not.

53 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Jenn - you are trying to convince us your brain is not damaged whle txing lkee t81s :rolleyes:

I just love snaggles and it reminds me of being home 

A pidgin /ˈpɪdʒɪn/, or pidgin language, is a grammatically simplified means of communication that develops between two or more groups that do not have a language in common: typically, a mixture of simplified languages or a simplified primary language with other languages' elements included.

1 hour ago, Jennifer said:

I couldn't get the damn thing out - but when I get around or when Clean gets around to putting the riggers invoice on here - it will make much more sense.

My boat has fore and aft pairs of clevis pins attaching the spreader(s) to the mast fitting similar to a bolted configuration but allowing some fore and aft movement. Over the decades (I've owned my boat for 28 years) I've had one pin corrode to where it fell out (not SS), and two others that required drilling out when replacing the upper spreaders (split tips).  My  humble opinion is if you have a stuck spreader bolt it's still doing its job assuming the spreader is not cracking apart.

3 hours ago, Jennifer said:
3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Hey Jen,

I guess you need a boat and there's another ocean voyager who could probably use some younger crew.

There's a thread about him here.

His name is Rimas.

Thanks - he's too old for me

He seems immortal and has thousands of miles under his various keels. And some sand under one.

If your comment about responsibility for the first boat grounding had been posted before I wrote my questions, then I would not have asked it.  However, if you take responsibility, they why has your first reaction always been, “but I was not at the helm?”

That one's pretty clear if you've ever had staff. Means that while you didn't personally do the screwup, you're still responsible for it. Standard for captains anywhere.

FKT

If you were looking for a harbor what about Kahalui? or Kawaihae? or Honokahau? or Kaunakakai? or Puko'o? or Kamalo? Or even Hilo? or Kamalapau? all nice big harbors for you. Or the roadstaed at Malo, or off Ka'anapali, or the last resort, off Lahaina?

53 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:
4 hours ago, Jennifer said:
4 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Hey Jen,

I guess you need a boat and there's another ocean voyager who could probably use some younger crew.

There's a thread about him here.

His name is Rimas.

Thanks - he's too old for me

He seems immortal and has thousands of miles under his various keels. And some sand under one.

I thicke hese vampirre, exsplaines allotte.

Well, except she said none of the strands had parted.  Sayula had parted strands.

So she did but given Jennifer's misapplication of various boating terminology, I think it doesn't pay to scrutinize her words too closely.

50 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That one's pretty clear if you've ever had staff. Means that while you didn't personally do the screwup, you're still responsible for it. Standard for captains anywhere.

FKT

Nah, you can never really get away with blaming the secretary.  “I wasn’t at the helm” just causes the pitbull to clench harder, while “It was my responsibility and I should have handled it better” frees you from the jaws sooner.

17 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

So she did but given Jennifer's misapplication of various boating terminology, I think it doesn't pay to scrutinize her words too closely.

Yeah, but that’s all we have.

She always seems to maintain that her perceptions and feelings trump common sense, so who are we to apply the latter?  Gotta work with her words.

Nah, you can never really get away with blaming the secretary.  “I wasn’t at the helm” just causes the pitbull to clench harder, while “It was my responsibility and I should have handled it better” frees you from the jaws sooner.

I quite agree there. That's the position I always took myself. Saying 'There's a really simple explanation for this. I fucked up. Now can we focus on how to fix it?' tends to take the wind out of peoples' sails. Unless they're dickheads more interested in finding someone to blame than addressing outcomes. I never worked long for or with those types.

My point is simply that there's a real difference between being responsible for something and personally doing that same something. If the helmsman runs your boat aground, you're responsible for putting someone in control who fucked up. No escaping that.

FKT

8 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Let me guess: epirb is activated, USCG provides rescue, during course of rescue contraband is discovered, thus vessel occupants are jailed, fined and boat forfeited. Out of this mess someone tortures logic to ascribe cause to the epirb activation. But it's just a guess.

1 minute ago, casc27 said:

Let me guess: epirb is activated, USCG provides rescue, during course of rescue contraband is discovered, thus vessel occupants are jailed, fined and boat forfeited. Out of this mess someone tortures logic to ascribe cause to the epirb activation. But it's just a guess.

I'm going to go with the abducted by aliens theory.

• Downvote 1

Jenn - you need to study Tristan Jones:

Arthur Jones, pen name Tristan Jones (8 May 1929 – 21 June 1995) was a British mariner and author. He spent most of his life at sea, first in the British Royal Navy, and then sailing in small yachts for various purposes, including self-appointed adventure trips. Starting in 1977, he wrote sixteen books and many articles about sailing and his adventures, including several memoirs. His writing, while highly entertaining, often mixes fact and fiction. In his memoirs, he invented a fictional childhood and youth.

He actually did what you are trying to do, i.e. make a living by slinging bullshit stories about sailing. He succeeded where you are failing for a few reasons. He really had a lot of sailing experience to draw from, he rarely had any witnesses around to contradict him, and this was before the internet. It wasn't easy to disprove things that supposedly happened long ago and far away. So in short, you have a much more difficult task ahead of you with this career.

Also note the internet provides a ready source of nude women doing various things on video, so the hang upside down look at my vagina thing only provides so much additional interest.

18 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Unkle,

WERA, AMA, 24 hours at nelson ledges before it quit -  and many track days which were not racing -  fun between us and twisties in the tx hill country, three sisters, (over / unders), tail of the dragon and cherohola skyway come to immediate mind

didn't auger in - high side road ending in a failing to pass aaron yates

made me a much better designer that wheelchair time did (pre ADA rules installation)

Crap, I couldn't even get past Yates' little sister!  Sort of stock RC 51's will try to kill you!

22 hours ago, Whisper said:

Jennifer,

I did look at the pics and videos, and I still don’t understand the statements about your backstay.

About your first boat name:  What statements have I been offended by?  I’m no prude.  I am offended by lies, gross exaggerations, and ignorance, but not lifestyles.

Good luck getting your boat back, and let’s hope nobody runs into it.  If it is found, the salvage claims could be insurmountable.

Do you get stoned before typing?  Your insults and flippant comments suggest you’re not serious about any of this.

Ok So i have watched all the videos now and listens to the podcast. I am still lost on a few things? I have put a screen shot to get some clarity!!! 

Can you expand on the backstay issue as I can see nothing wrong? I see some dyneema wrapped around it. The way its wrapped would do sweet fuck all but for someone that doesn't know what they are doing I can see why they would get some comfort out of having that there like that. I personally can't see anything wrong with the spreaders except for the possibility that the end was not correctly attached or had some how come undone. I struggle to believe this as i haver never seen it happen. If that is the case the jury rigging lashing in the video may have been enough to solve that issue.

What was the purpose of the bungs?? You say you did not trust the sea cocks?? Why is that? At what point did you put them in?

I still have other questions I want to ask but a few have been asked by others and hopefully time will give us answers. 

I appreciate the fact that Jens on here and giving us a chance to ask the questions. I will help clear up the case

There are still a lot of unanswered questions but we seem to be getting to the bottom of a lot of them. I do believe the media some what embellished the story to make it seem bigger and better and Jens "character" and past certainly put fuel on the fire. 

The biggest thing I thing is that Jen went to see unprepared. She wasn't the first and won't be the last. All I hope is that she has learnt for this lesson. My suggestion is to take the go fund me page down. 

5a2d94211ef12_ScreenShot2017-12-10at13_02_20.png.dd4b6cca13f181bf8f28d646bcce4ac5.png

16 minutes ago, strop said:

Ok So i have watched all the videos now and listens to the podcast. I am still lost on a few things? I have put a screen shot to get some clarity!!! 

Can you expand on the backstay issue as I can see nothing wrong? I see some dyneema wrapped around it. The way its wrapped would do sweet fuck all but for someone that doesn't know what they are doing I can see why they would get some comfort out of having that there like that. I personally can't see anything wrong with the spreaders except for the possibility that the end was not correctly attached or had some how come undone. I struggle to believe this as i haver never seen it happen. If that is the case the jury rigging lashing in the video may have been enough to solve that issue.

What was the purpose of the bungs?? You say you did not trust the sea cocks?? Why is that? At what point did you put them in?

I still have other questions I want to ask but a few have been asked by others and hopefully time will give us answers. 

I appreciate the fact that Jens on here and giving us a chance to ask the questions. I will help clear up the case

There are still a lot of unanswered questions but we seem to be getting to the bottom of a lot of them. I do believe the media some what embellished the story to make it seem bigger and better and Jens "character" and past certainly put fuel on the fire. 

The biggest thing I thing is that Jen went to see unprepared. She wasn't the first and won't be the last. All I hope is that she has learnt for this lesson. My suggestion is to take the go fund me page down. 

5a2d94211ef12_ScreenShot2017-12-10at13_02_20.png.dd4b6cca13f181bf8f28d646bcce4ac5.png

I don’t understand that clusterfuck.  If you can’t tie a knot, tie a lot.

Is there a second attachment point aft of the pin we see?  Is the Amsteel replacing a missing second pin and penetrating the hole?  If so, wouldn’t a replacement pin or bolt be more effective?

If that line isn’t penetrating a hole, I don’t see how it is attached to the mast in any way.

22 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Do you mind! You are only picking on her because of her gender. You must really hate women mate...

The "bolt" you have highlighted is actually a clevis pin. That whole joint looks dodgy.

The bolt she may be trying to back up is on the spreader, under all the lashing, you can see the locking nut.

clevis pin.png

clevis pin new.jpg

13 minutes ago, HILLY said:

The "bolt" you have highlighted is actually a clevis pin. That whole joint looks dodgy.

The bolt she may be trying to back up is on the spreader, under all the lashing, you can see the locking nut.

clevis pin.png

clevis pin new.jpg

Yeh I knew someone would pick me up on that. I was trying to keep things simple. I had also seen the other bolt. Which one it was is what I am trying to clarify as it’s hard to tell from the video. 

3 hours ago, strop said:

I like the optimism.

I was assuming she knew a pin from a bolt so was talking about the bolt. As I said upthread, the only purpose I saw for all the lashing is to avoid spreader stretch. Because, you know, things under compression stretch.

6 hours ago, TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:

Jen,

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet  

as a new poster there is a longstanding tradition here.  I know you care about tradition 

have you shown us yer ti....?

ah never mind.  No need  you are grandfathered  

The Devil's Triangle was a bit blurry in those picks.

On 12/9/2017 at 12:58 PM, Jennifer said:

What is the real reason that you didn't stop in Kiribati )(Kirimati)? You have given several answers - boat too big (it isn't - by a long shot), denied entry (not believable), didn't want to go in at night (nonsensical - just wait till the next day) and some other reason concerning something with shipwreck in the name.

http://images.nationmaster.com/images/motw/australia/kiritimati_island_77.jpg

I believe this chart is in fathoms - the one I had on the boat also noted a two knot current on both sides of the island at North West Point and South West Point  going from east ot west - the only viable entrance I could see on my chart was south passage but I did not feel comfortable with much rhode if the wind/current changed - since the interior is only one fathom - and we have already established that one fathom is not enough - we did not have a chart specific enough to view the coral heads

It was night and Tasha did get turned around going east instead of south - so doing donuts until dawn was not really an option I was comfortable with

We were told by the calling station on chanel 16 not to enter the lagoon and that they did not have any protected waters where doing a rigging patch would be safe - we were told to move on.

.and while we are at it - where exactly is the large commercial airport here?

Jennifer, I'm assuming we're talking about your Kiritimati (Christmas) Island flyby in the Kiribati Republic, in the Line Islands.  

Your offshore assessment with limited charts is accurate. As COMMS ( the calling station on chanel {channel} 16) indicated, the lagoon is way too shallow for even small boats to safely enter.  And they have history of shunning private yachts who wish to enter (not the lagoon, the paperwork).  All small yachts anchor in the protected area just below London north of the Cook Island Passage.  There's no shipyard that could do mast repairs, etc.  Fuel, food (consumables) are available but pricey.  All this info is available online or in a south seas cruising guide. I understand you didn't have those resources.

But, here's what blows my mind.  Did you know the US and Britons detonated 30 Megatons of nuclear bombs over Kirimati in 1958-1962?  I know you are interested in recording background radiation and wonder if during your Kiritimati Island encounter you detected high levels of radiation?

Oh, and on the above chart the airport is at the "large shed" annotation.  I tried to exactly locate in in an above post but you must have missed it.

3 hours ago, HILLY said:

clevis pin.png

clevis pin new.jpg

The clevis pin is what she indicated as failed in her audio. There is another pin 3" or so aft doing the same thing. The pin does not seem bent at all, but does not seem to be normal to the two mast bracket ears. Perhaps the pin is undersized? The bold outboard holds the ss spreader base in the aluminum spreader, and is under no load, unless one is pulling the spreader away from the mast. These are stock LeFiell parts.

On 12/9/2017 at 1:50 PM, Jennifer said:

when the navy approached, I was under the impression that with their extra parts and hands we were going to fix the boat - I wasn't actually planning to leave it because they asked if it could be fixed and sent people to assist

Before the Navy showed up, before any sailor had set foot on your boat to assess the damage your own video has you saying "this is all of our stuff we are taking with us to the Navy". 

15 hours ago, axolotl said:

But, here's what blows my mind.  Did you know the US and Britons detonated 30 Megatons of nuclear bombs over Kirimati in 1958-1962?  I know you are interested in recording background radiation and wonder if during your Kiritimati Island encounter you detected high levels of radiation?

Oh, and on the above chart the airport is at the "large shed" annotation.  I tried to exactly locate in in an above post but you must have missed it.

Thank you for the info on anchoring below London.

Kiribati was 23.7cpm - actually quite low for an ambient over water but we did not go to land - which in my data collection experience - would have had a 'probable' different reading

Thanks for the info on the airport - we didn't see any 700 series planes taking off or landing.  I have jumped out of them for fun - so I am pretty sure I know what they look like.

On 12/9/2017 at 5:00 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

Wow - photographic memory there :rolleyes:

No last name, no boat name, maybe in a three year time span, maybe not.

That’s an easy one to check though. 

7 hours ago, Thread Killer said:

Before the Navy showed up, before any sailor had set foot on your boat to assess the damage your own video has you saying "this is all of our stuff we are taking with us to the Navy". 

TK - I will answer the question you asked but to get a solid answer there is a lot more information required

yes.

The second conversation should be posted as well as the initial call.  Both would probably change many perceptions since the media ignored the reason why we called for help and the Taiwanese Government probably doesn't want any of it heard.  (PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS UNTIL THE RECORDED CALLS ARE AVAILABLE AND POSTED - I will go no further to answer this aspect without the recordings.  They speak volumes.) 

To add to the short 'yes' answer:  A snippet goes like this - we were told we had less than one hour to get clothes for up to two months to board the Navy vessel and remain with them during their "exercises".  When, at an undisclosed time, we would reach an undisclosed port, the SV Sea Nymph should have been recovered and we would rejoin her.

The snippet is not what actually occurred... as everyone knows.

The Navy said they were given coordinates 60 nautical miles from where they actually found us.  I do not know who gave them the coordinates.  It was not me and I was under the impression the FV had stated the position.  The interview on the deck of the USS Ashland confirms the initial erroneous position given.  

When the Navy did arrive - and before anyone set foot on the boat they called and asked us if the vessel could be repaired.  I responded affirmatively.  So, we were under the impression at the "blowing kisses time" that SV Sea Nymph would get a new antenna and some extra hands to help with the spreader and backstay while we bounced around.  I wasn't nearly as worried about the motor (they couldn't get it started anyway) since it is a sail boat and that motor won't go as fast as the sails and our estimated fuel distance was a little over 200 miles - which would not have gotten us to a protected harbor out of the anticipated path of the typhoon at that time.

34 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That’s an easy one to check though. 

do it - you will probably find more than you want - ask how many people have been fined or jailed in the past ten years in Hawaii for SAR calls they felt were unwarranted. 

from the beating I have taken in the media - whether deserved or undeserved - I have a new soft spot for people who aren't around to defend themselves

5 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

do it - you will probably find more than you want - ask how many people have been fined or jailed in the past ten years in Hawaii for SAR calls they felt were unwarranted. 

from the beating I have taken in the media - whether deserved or undeserved - I have a new soft spot for people who aren't around to defend themselves

No - how about the ONE person you said you KNOW. As for the rest, I am quite confident the number is zero. A hoax Mayday will get you in big trouble, but just being scared will not otherwise we would need new jails to hold everyone. Please do tell us which Boeing airplanes you jumped out of as well. (this really shouldn't be hard to do ;) )

39 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Which planes exactly did you jump out of?

Since the irreplaceable log book is still on the boat (it was my home) this may be a shorter list than what I did in the almost 20 years I was an active skydiver or held a coach rating.... 

king air, queen air, bell 212, bell 210, (someone had a video of a helo jump from Quincy that I had never seen on this post somewhere - kudos for that memory), 727, dc10, twotter (twin otters), cessna (sleep on the way to altitude), porters, (even jumped the pilatus porter that was used in the drop zone movie with the bomb-bay doors), casa, c130, skyvan, ... and more - day jumps, night jumps, water jumps - Jumped all over in the US, a bit in Canada and parts of Mexico

Go find the Quincy World Free Fall Convention info where I had flown a MIG21 and was interviewed for local tv - think that one was done in 1998 - Quincy, IL doesn't happen anymore - but it was like Burning Man for skydivers way back when

3 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

On the larger issue - I still haven't the slightest clue how these two got from A to B, what they thought they were going to do, and what exactly was wrong with their boat.

Kind of this.

Vague references of an order of events with no dates. Incomplete descriptions of damage with poor or non-existent photos.

You people are amusing. After all this discourse with Jen, after all the media coverage, after Clean's 8 hour attempt attempt to ferret out the real story, you're all still left scratching your heads. Isn't it painfully clear by now you'll NEVER get the real story? You're trashing Jen for not being coherent and forthcoming with accurate data, wake up folks! She's playing you masterfully! She's twisting you in knots and frustrating you with her ramblings and diversions. Who knows what really happened? Maybe she and Tasha just sailed to a nearby island and hung out for 5 months. Whatever, you ain't getting it from her!

Jen, have you considered a career in politics?  

14 minutes ago, wristwister said:

You people are amusing. After all this discourse with Jen, after all the media coverage, after Clean's 8 hour attempt attempt to ferret out the real story, you're all still left scratching your heads. Isn't it painfully clear by now you'll NEVER get the real story?

Yes. Jen is a story teller. As she says, she is living the fantasy. That means that her experiences must be very special, if they weren't it wouldn't be a fantasy life now would it? 

10 hours ago, Thread Killer said:

More nautical weirdness. Rimas school of rigging! Original topping lift is abandoned, left hanging loose under boom. Tail of topper is macrame'd around boom, frivolous attempt to use it as an outhaul, tail left hanging. Original outhaul cheek block now used as t/l, poorly cleated. Despite tales of sailing with reefs in, no tension (or order) to reef lines. And why is a red toweel wrapped around the boom & sail? In 5 months of having the boom over the cockpit the crew havent moved it outboard or learned to duck?????  The only reasonable thing visible in this scene is the sail has a decent flake job on it!

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, Jennifer said:

Photos do not show a bent spreader. - you are right... it is a bent spreader bolt that allowed for too much fore/aft play - which then allowed the shroud to come out of its position and the seizing wire was no longer properly intact

did you open the seacocks to flood the boat - naw - even if they fail - if you look at the video from underwater - you can see the bunts I put in the "holes"

did the standing rigging fail - the backstay came unravelled - pictures are on the shutterfly account - you can't miss the 5/8" amsteel halyard wrapped around the backstay in the sunset pictures - it made a huge improvement - more than the ~200+lf of 1/8" amsteel I originally used to fortify the back of the mast to the stern tangs

So,   complete bullshit from beginning to end,  then.

If a PIN  ( not a goddamn threaded BOLT to chew up the spreader for fucks sake) was displaced (rare)  you REPLACE the darn thing and re-seize the shroud - an easy task for someone that supposedly friggin' WELDED aloft !!!   I've done some fairly creative fixes underway and I can't imagine trying to weld from a bosun's chair !

You bunged the seacocks from the OUTSIDE ?!?!?    Clearly you don't have a clue.  Nor do you give the least concern for fellow mariners.  You left your drifting liability out there to harm others because you were so delusional as to think somebody was going to take you BACK to your mess ?     This is so crazy it defies belief.   NOBODY is going to piss away the expense to lift you back aboard a boat you couldn't handle in the first place.   All you have done is put others in danger.

You say:  "backstay came unraveled' -  I don't see broken strand,  but if you did have one,  why not run a parallel strand of the Amsteel ?   It's good and strong.  NOTHING is gained by wrapping something around a damaged backstay like a tetherball !  This is as simple a mechanical arrangement as there is - basic triangulation,  easily addressed in the calm conditions shown in the video.

It is simple as this:  you and your boat were completely unprepared for a passage.  Had you cruised the boat around the Hawaiian islands for a season you would possibly have become aware of the extent of your shortcomings,  but it doesn't seem like anything like logic would have any effect on you.    

Bonus bullshit:

adding 2 feet to the draft of the boat   -  complete fiction.  If you did a repair to 2 feet (in length) of the keel,  I'd believe that,  but that you extended the depth of the keel fin by 2 feet ?    My ass.   Why would you have done so ?   Amateur Naval architect ?   You expected the boat was now going to point like a 12- meter ?   and... Ballast ?   I mean - practically how would you DO this in a yard ?   have them block the keel 2+ feet off the ground ?   ( anyone familiar with hulls would not do this - it would pop the stands into the boat's bilge ) - or did you dig a ditch under the keel (same effect on the hull)  - -   and THEN to go and blame a lack of safe havens on this modification ?    idiocy writ large.

You claim competency at mechanical reasoning but can't keep a 1-spreader rig functional ?

more bonus bullshit:   Motorsport - raced in "WERA and AMA"  - what classes,  tracks and years ?     Aaron Yates last rode professionally in the US in  2005-2008 - I know the class,  do you ?   There weren't any females that qualified on those grids as far as I can tell.   There is no shame to just liking to ride fast (if you can do so safely) and attending track days - just don't try to tell people you raced in AMA. 

Just stop lying.  If you can.   If you can't,  then.... Just STOP.   Stop it.   You are fooling no one here.  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 7:50 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

Jenn - you need to study Tristan Jones:

Arthur Jones, pen name Tristan Jones (8 May 1929 – 21 June 1995) was a British mariner and author. He spent most of his life at sea, first in the British Royal Navy, and then sailing in small yachts for various purposes, including self-appointed adventure trips. Starting in 1977, he wrote sixteen books and many articles about sailing and his adventures, including several memoirs. His writing, while highly entertaining, often mixes fact and fiction. In his memoirs, he invented a fictional childhood and youth.

He actually did what you are trying to do, i.e. make a living by slinging bullshit stories about sailing. He succeeded where you are failing for a few reasons. He really had a lot of sailing experience to draw from, he rarely had any witnesses around to contradict him, and this was before the internet. It wasn't easy to disprove things that supposedly happened long ago and far away. So in short, you have a much more difficult task ahead of you with this career.

Also note the internet provides a ready source of nude women doing various things on video, so the hang upside down look at my vagina thing only provides so much additional interest.

Thanks for that.  I started reading his main book at the urging of a friend but decided the author seemed like a bit of an ass.  Which is not in itself a reason to stop reading something...

Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt she will directly address any technical q's raised by this group. The two page "rebuttal" was mostly about personal history, most of which had no relevance. The belief that the Navy was going to 'repair' her boat to her demands is ludicrous. Even IF they had some knowledge of a sailboat onboard, they definitely wouldn't be stocking yacht size/spec equipment.