• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Hugh Jorgan

Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

The sensationalist report (video link) and then listening to the women talking about their 'ordeal' just gave me Tourettes.

I agree there's something fishy here (pun intended). 

1.  They said that bad weather flooded the engine.  The weather's outside; the engine's inside.  I suspect a clogged filter that they didn't know how to clean or replace.

2.  The could only make 4.5-5 knots under sail with limited maneuverability.  If the spreader's broken, which it doesn't appear to me, roll of the genoa and point the boat downwind in the trades.  Sooner or later you're going to hit land somewhere.

3. Does Tahiti even allow dogs to be imported?

4.  They had food for a year?

5. The sharks were working together in a pack and could hear them.  Basic sharkology would dispel any of that.

6. The boat was going to sink in about 24 hours.  If that's the case, then why tell us that they want to make repairs and sail back to Hawaii (upwind!).  How are they going to repair a sunken boat that they couldn't repair during five months at sea.

7. The owner worked on the boat at night so "some man" wouldn't come along and tell them how to do it.  Enough said.

Kind of makes you go "hmmm" doesn't it?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I feel sorry for the dogs. Maybe a couple (or more) of the Navy sailors will be getting lucky though.

FB- Doug

I hope you're implying that the Navy sailors are going to go family style on the dogs.

My name is Zeus. I am a brown dog. I like to shit at least 15 times each day. Glad I am off that boat. There was no other place to shit.

Should have watched some Disney before they left, would have made for a better book at least saying they were drifting with purpose using the starsstars.jpg.0d62be828c72ec823efc8e6a28e579a2.jpg

• Like 1

They were never going to starve. They had lickalottapuss everyday :ph34r:

Sorry to everyone hoping for a greater conspiracy but some people really are this dumb. And I'm not just saying that because I wanted a guy try to hammer screws into OSB multiple times on "Canada's Worst Handyman" last night. There are some dumb people on this rock.

2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

AFAIK dogs can't live on oatmeal for long. Am I wrong?

Well, technically they could live on oatmeal for the rest of their lives...

2 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

7. The owner worked on the boat at night so "some man" wouldn't come along and tell them how to do it.  Enough said.

Good thing they avoided having they whole 'offshore sailing' thing Man-splained to them.  The horrors.

2 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

Good thing they avoided having they whole 'offshore sailing' thing Man-splained to them.  The horrors.

...and whilst they abandoned their boat they're hoping a ship will find it and tow it back for them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Well, technically they could live on oatmeal for the rest of their lives...

You are correct sir! Actually how long is just semantics.

5 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

Well, that's perfectly reasonable, because a recent documentary showed how sharks can be picked up if there's a stiff breeze, blown around in the air and wreak havoc.  Then the only way to fend them off is with chainsaws, and the two stroke pre-mix for their boat's chainsaw unfortunately got contaminated with water during a bad Force 4 blow. 

Here's that documentary I mentioned explaining the avian/sharkian threat:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2724064/

Sharknado!!!

24 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

I'm sure the story will turn up here in a few weeks about all the oppression they suffered:

https://everydayfeminism.com/2017/05/mansplaining-sports-hurts-us-all/

8 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Why do they not scuttle a vessel such as this?

+1 -- I thought that was pretty much standard practice.

A group of sharks attacked their boat one night, and a single shark returned a day later, she said. "Both of them, we actually thought it was lights out, and they were horrific," Appel said. "We were just incredibly lucky that our hull was strong enough to withstand the onslaught."

wait...what?

1 minute ago, freewheelin said:

A group of sharks attacked their boat one night, and a single shark returned a day later, she said. "Both of them, we actually thought it was lights out, and they were horrific," Appel said. "We were just incredibly lucky that our hull was strong enough to withstand the onslaught."

wait...what?

They were sharks with frickin laser beams on their head don't ya know! Dangerous shit out there man.

Just now, blunted said:

They were sharks with frickin laser beams on their head don't ya know! Dangerous shit out there man.

sounds terrifying, what an ordeal!

As amusing as these tales are, the oceans are full of idiots like this. I mean, look how many of them found their way to SA's attention! Figure we are aware of maybe 10% of the cases of morons being rescued, found dead afloat, somehow managing to complete a voyage in a clapped-out disaster of a boat, etc.

I went aboard a large yacht at the last minute to sail with a friend to Hawaii. Within 24 hours I learned that no one knew how to navigate or use a radio and they barely knew how to sail. Reefing and downwind sails were a complete mystery to them.

Their plan to get from southern California to Hawaii was to follow the jet contrails in the sky.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trickypig said:

For those who think the slime on the hull is a sign of a conspiracy... it's not.

Look at any photos of boats that have been at sea for a long time and they'll get that slime.

The mighty Berrimilla would return from it's travels with slime growing on the hull and the same with Jon Sanders' boats when he finished his circumnavigations..

Just google the photos.

Why do these stories always ignite conspiracy theories here? I thought SA was a place of reason and experience.

Only as a last resort.

• Like 1

Just wait for them to appear on Ellen where they will be praised for their survival skills.

"claiming that a group of seven 30ft-long sharks slapped their tails on the hull of the ship one night."

LOL

How did the bright shirted one keep those gams so tight??  Man those calves rival beast mode...  ;)

21 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Quote from the 11-minute interview: "We were empowered!" lol.gif

That's it. I'm out!

http://youtu.be/lZaa5hJSJIo

They were empowered by the "force 11 storm" for two nights out of Honolulu on May 3rd? I think they meant 11 kt storm. https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/honolulu/historic?month=5&year=2017

22 hours ago, kidkodine said:

something smells. ...

21 hours ago, mal5033 said:

something smells fishy here...........

4 hours ago, mustgettaller said:

I agree there's something fishy here...

C'mon guys! They had lots of fresh water, possibly some soap... and the dogs as a last resort!

12 minutes ago, shaggy said:

How did the bright shirted one keep those gams so tight??  Man those calves rival beast mode...  ;)

. . .and the man hands on the other one. . .

Devil's Triangle?  0 x 160 degrees ?  Boats go in but they very rarely come out?  Oh, my aching ass.  I have never heard such a pile of shite.  There is absolutley no way these two spent 5 months on that boat floating around down to the equator and back to Japan.  Not to say that either of them look good -- but they don't look like they've  been through a 5 month harrowing experience. 

No Fucking Way.

Somebody in Hawaii has to know them.  If she spent 2 years building that POS with a black girlfriend, she didn't do it without making some kind of scene.

1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

I went aboard a large yacht at the last minute to sail with a friend to Hawaii. Within 24 hours I learned that no one knew how to navigate or use a radio and they barely knew how to sail. Reefing and downwind sails were a complete mystery to them.

Their plan to get from southern California to Hawaii was to follow the jet contrails in the sky.

So what happened?  Did you wind up becoming the de facto skipper as the only one who knew anything about sailing?  Did you have to teach everyone how to do things?  Did you guys make it to Hawaii?

2 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

On my dock, the guys offer each other advice on their various boat projects.  I think we all appreciate the input.

So does the correct-thinking  neo-feminist look at the 3/8" clevis pin installed in a 1/2" hole and think to herself, "I hope the mast doesn't come down in the middle of the ocean, but I don't want to hurt her self esteem, so I'll just say, 'You go girl!'"

As I said before, participation award culture.

21 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

And a 10 knot current. Where?

you know, the one that pushes you west from the cook islands straight towards the devil's triangle, right before a white squall carries you back. It makes sense the the boat used to be named the dawn treader, because it sounds like they sailed through Narnia.

1 minute ago, freewheelin said:

you know, the one that pushes you west from the cook islands straight towards the devil's triangle, right before a white squall carries you back. It makes sense the the boat used to be named the dawn treader, because it sounds like they sailed through Narnia.

Ah....silly me.

2 hours ago, freewheelin said:

wait...what?

That's going to be great in the movie.

be prepared to watch this if you want to see them in a studio interview.

My speculation...

with little experience, they bought the biggest boat they could for the money they had. It's an old boat, and 'refitting'  was more oriented towards new curtains and fitted sheets than actually making the boat seaworthy. They assumed sailing was easy, and what they didn't know they'd learn as they went. They could follow directions on their car GPS, figured navigating a boat was the same. So, off on their 'big adventure', probably with a Patreon account they'd live on. Storm churned up sediment in fuel tank, clogging filters and killing engine. No spare parts or diesel repair knowledge. Probably no tools. Didn't know how to sail, in the attempts to do so jammed halyards and furler. Drifted with current and trade winds to where they were rescued. No conspiracy, just stupidity and naivety. As far as they're concerned, it turned out well...they'll try again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freewheelin said:

They were empowered by the "force 11 storm" for two nights out of Honolulu on May 3rd? I think they meant 11 kt storm. https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/honolulu/historic?month=5&year=2017

well that is pure crap Swiv though he's as blind as a bat and can smell available cunt from a distance of 3 miles on a mediocre day was seen in Auckland during this period  so probably had nothing to do with these fucked up frontbum sailors and their suspiciously well kept canines

1 hour ago, freewheelin said:

I have not listened to their account but if they're claiming "force 11" anywhere near Honolulu on the May 3rd they aren't dealing with reality as most process it. They do keep records of these things. People (reporters?) could check...

pace_sfcanal_00.2017050302.thumb.gif.7418865f02309924489a73d5553f80e8.gif

https://www.today.com/news/two-women-their-dogs-rescued-navy-after-being-lost-sea-t118077

The women survived thanks to a water purifier and a year’s worth of oatmeal, rice, and pasta — they had heeded expert advice to pack their boat with as much food as possible in case of an emergency. They also took comfort from their dogs until their rescue came, 176 days after they originally sailed off from Hawaii.

First thing you do in case of an emergency is boiling the pasta water, 1 liter per 100 gramm. They probably took all this inedible epirby electronics stuff out to pack more pasta. 

Really sorry for the dogs :wacko:

3 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

I had one of that type as a crew trainee for a short while, many years ago. Absolutely unteachable. She ignored every instruction and did it her way because she knew better and didn't want to have a man tell her what to do. As a consequence, everything she did ended up a huge clusterfuck. She only lasted aboard for a few races before I excused her.

1 hour ago, J T said:

There is absolutley no way these two spent 5 months on that boat floating around down to the equator and back to Japan.  Not to say that either of them look good -- but they don't look like they've  been through a 5 month harrowing experience. 

No Fucking Way.

Somebody in Hawaii has to know them.  If she spent 2 years building that POS with a black girlfriend, she didn't do it without making some kind of scene.

Ah,  but IS it "Harrowing" is you are utterly clueless and expect to wash up in the society islands at  "any time now" ?

I don't recall seeing this boat before,  but then there are only so many hours in the day...

Woman or man it doesn't matter.

A 14yr old girl sailed around the world solo.

There are plenty of examples of accomplished female sailors and even more examples of stupid male sailors.

These two are just idiots, or simply concocting a story...who knows. The fact that they're women has nothing to do with it. Idiocracy affects both sexes equally. It's a human condition.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

I'll wait for the movie.

That's a Lifetime (or Hallmark) Channel movie all day long.

If she's an actress, maybe she had a run-in with Harvey Weinstein.  Had to float out into the middle of the ocean to feel safe from him?

I think the rope must have been hemp.  None of this makes any sense unless you consider that maybe they were stoned the whole time.

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think the rope must have been hemp.  None of this makes any sense unless you consider that maybe they were stoned the whole time.

Our you sayeng thay wearre smocking the roppe?

2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Quote from the 11-minute interview: "We were empowered!" lol.gif

That's it. I'm out!

http://youtu.be/lZaa5hJSJIo

Oh my f*cking god.

After listening to that interview I am convinced that they're making up this whole thing to see how far they can take it:  "Devil's Triangle"...many boats go in and never come out...white squall...Force 11 storm that doesn't appear on NOAA weather fax...tiger shark group attack...

2 hours ago, BrickTopHarry said:

So what happened?  Did you wind up becoming the de facto skipper as the only one who knew anything about sailing?  Did you have to teach everyone how to do things?  Did you guys make it to Hawaii?

It's too long of a story with too many subplots but the quick rundown is:

It was Steven's boat, he was the skipper, what he said went.

My buddy was on board too. We were on the same watch. Most of the crossing was in very light wind, in no small part because when Tom and I weren't on watch, the other watch did their damned best to steer to Alaska via the Pacific high. So Tom and I would put up the spinnaker and the gollywobbler and because the wind was light, we would usually lower the main because the gollywobbler was the real workhorse and the main would just slat, making a horrid racket. We would steer a very southerly course, trying to get back down into the trades. Eventually we'd get tired and the other watch would come on deck. They would instantly lower all the light sails and put up the working canvas: main, main stays'l, fore stays'l, and outer jib. And since those all clattered away like crazy going downwind in light air, they would alter course until the noise stopped--usually somewhere between NW and N--straight back toward the center of the Pacific high.

I very politely explained to them that they were headed to Alaska and say, "Hawaii is that way," and point 120-degrees aft our bow. Steven looked at me with a stare not unlike what we have become used to from Rimas--the 1,000-yard stare into blissful eternity--and say, "What are you hung up on time, man?" And "We like the schooner sails better." And "Schooners like to reach." And so, facing that sort of logic, I shut my damn mouth, continued taking sights and plotting our position making sure to show the wild deviations that were a result of their "like to reach" mindset.

I taught the cook how to take and reduce sights with the sextant and almanac. She would call Fomalhaut "Froth-mouth" because foam-a-lot. Eventually we arrived right about the same time as Hurricane Iwa. That spawned several more stories as you can imagine. We were down to reefed main stays'l and shoved a bit south of our desired landfall but the only thing damaged was a teak grate running atop the bowsprit. Sometime during the pitch blackness of night, six 5/16s ss bolts broke and the grate carried away with nary a sound (that we could hear over the roar of the wind.)

And so on. All said and done, it was a good fun trip.

Appel: "...I honestly believed we were going to die within the next 24 hours”

What was going to happen in the next 24 hours to kill them?  Tiger sharks gnawing through the hull?  

I have heard the sharks can be pretty aggressive in that part of the ocean (USS Indianapolis a ways south for one), so I will allow for their panic about the sharks given that they seem absolutely clueless about boats and the sea.

I must admit, my admiration for Rimas is growing.

Gold:

https://youtu.be/lZaa5hJSJIo?t=490

"she spent two and a half years building that boat and everyone was laughing at her telling her that's not what you do but she knew in her head.......she took something that was broken and made it whole"

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jennifer-appel-7967ab45

Diagnosis - near terminal stupidity

Prognosis - Darwin award

I just watched the interview. I suppose it ought to be embedded here. Though, even as a sea story told by newly rescued sailors it's running a bit wide of objective reality.

1) there was no force 11 storm.

2) they got to the Line Islands but they were unable to replace one bolt because they couldn't get inside the lagoon? Huh? They were in Kiribati for some period of time? They couldn't get help? Call home? Fly home?

3) they found a 10 knot West set? There often is a strong West setting current in those parts but 10 knots is unheard of.

4) they survived the Devil's triangle? Hey me too :). Multiple times. And lots of folks I know have as well. Maybe that's just survivor bias? Maybe it's that I never heard of the D's T so I wasn't properly in tune with the terror of it? One of the unknown unknowns?

I dunno. They're tired and they've been at sea for some time. A bit of food and rest can reground a person. Or, maybe I'm misinterpreting what they're saying.  Anyway, I'm reasonably familiar with the waters they've traveled and I can't make head nor tail of their tale.

8 hours ago, carcrash said:

First, based on observations:

In the video, the rig looked very solid. Spreader, uppers, forward and aft lowers all tuaght even as the boat rolled with the waves. The mast was not working at all. Sheets on rolled headsail and main were tight. Boat looked exactly like it would tied up in the Ala Wai, except the mainsail cover was off. I doubt they ever touched any “rope” on the boat.

The grass on the topsides perfectly aligned with the wayerline as the boat pitched and rolled in the sea. So the boat was drifting about for months.

Now speculation:

Perhaps the gearshift lever was accidentally knocked into nuetral. The engine must have run fine in order to charge the batteries.

But I expect the engine ran perfectly for several days until they ran out of fuel. The wind generator was enough to keep a hand held VHF charged.

Finally!

Some commonsense evaluations.  I agree.

But I also believe there is lots more to this story.

Stay tuned,

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Wonder if this is the same Jennifer Appel in the news story?

Actor in a movie called "Silly Little Game"!?!  

IMG_5189.PNG

IMG_5190.JPG

Well that would explain the loud-mouthed drama presentation...

Anyone note the scum line on the hull, and note the pristine bottom paint?   Pretty sure they werent diving and scrubbing that bottom !!!!

Not really a Newbie, just a new account... here is the pic

IMG_1283.JPG

I know people who know her.  Apparently she used to live in our marina on Oahu.  Friends have watched her pull insurance and other scams since 2008.  Lots of varied scams.  She was described as a con artist.  That is their opinion, not mine.  I don’t know her.

I’m not surprised.  This story sounds like a complete scam to me.

So glad I got this story to follow now, seeing the VOR media is just so bad this time around.

19 minutes ago, savoir said:

By the way, the lagoon at Kiritimati can admit commercial shipping. They would have made it in easy.

Transit of lagoon to the harbor at Christmas can be a bit sketchy without local knowledge. Competent people can do it but... No real need to enter it though as the anchorage outside is vast. Not sure about the current condition of the pier but that might be an option too. Fanning has a fairly easy entrance as does Palmyra. She kinda glossed over the whole "oh yeah, we stopped by an island group  for an indeterminate period after our rigging issue but while our engine was still working" thing.

10 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Happened in NZ, just sayin'

err no actually, NZ category 1 compliance has been around since way way before chubby bum baby boomer yanks began to loiter about down here

1 hour ago, RMilller said:

Anyone note the scum line on the hull, and note the pristine bottom paint?   Pretty sure they werent diving and scrubbing that bottom !!!!

Not really a Newbie, just a new account... here is the pic

IMG_1283.JPG

lovely...........do it again

Forced myself to listen to the whole thing.  Fascinating.  The old proverb about knowing just enough to get yourself in trouble comes to mind.  

They obviously had some navigational ability and awareness but it isn't stated how they made their way to one landfall but couldn't do it after that.  

Also not clear if she was stating they weren't using the sails because of a broken spreader bracket?  

Great stuff for SA.

Wish I had some of the 10 knots when I went through the cooks in September, could have used that. They made really good time down to there though, must have averaged 4.5 knots to make it from Hawaii to the Cooks in 20 days (said in the interview that they were there about May 25th) , just before the white squall took them that was :)

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

At least Rimas is no longer the biggest dumbfuck floating around in the Pacific anymore.

Kochy that is very large bar to get over... remember this is only their first go.

31 minutes ago, littlechay said:

They made really good time down to there though, must have averaged 4.5 knots to make it from Hawaii to the Cooks in 20 days (said in the interview that they were there about May 25th) ,

Did she say they got to the Cooks or that they got to the Lines and headed for the Cooks when The White Squall took out the starter? Can't bring myself to watch that video again but I thought it was the Lines and she mentioned Kiribati. So I assumed Christmas or Fanning.