• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Hugh Jorgan

Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

1 hour ago, tenders said:

I think you're being sarcastic but an amphib ship like that is indeed carrying all of those things, or is quickly capable of making substitutes if so inclined. There are easily 25 diesel engines of all sizes on that ship, between the ship's equipment and all the embarked Marine landing stuff it is likely carrying. Miles of steel cable for cranes and blocks to lift and drag things around. An impressive machine shop and electronic repair shop. Every manner of VHF antenna, cable, and connector. Industrial sewing machines.

Now, are they going to sit around bobbing and fixing every derelict boat that they pass? No. They're also equipped with a lot of ordinance and a bunch of guys eager to use it. I'm really surprised they didn't sink the Sea Nymph once it was determined that it wasn't going to be quickly fixed. (I would not be surprised if they did that, but didn't tell the passengers.) It is unseamanlike to leave a hull adrift like that and turn it into some other navigator's problem at an inconvenient time.

Good to know.  I wasn’t familiar with the nature of the ship and it seemed improbable to me that it would be stocked with ordinary small sailboat stuff.  Allow me to remove the sarcastic smirk I wore when I posted that comment.

9 hours ago, Thread Killer said:

She has trouble answering direct questions without making a joke or attaching a story first. Kind of like arguing with one of my kids. They will focus on and expand a small detail that you got wrong (because decoding what they say can be very difficult and prone to errors) while ignoring the the bigger questions.

I thouht onley my wife didde stuffe licke that.......               :)

6 hours ago, tenders said:

I'm really surprised they didn't sink the Sea Nymph once it was determined that it wasn't going to be quickly fixed. (I would not be surprised if they did that, but didn't tell the passengers.)

That's what they have done in other cases and I'm surprised too.

On 12/10/2017 at 2:39 PM, axolotl said:

Your offshore assessment with limited charts is accurate. As COMMS ( the calling station on chanel {channel} 16) indicated, the lagoon is way too shallow for even small boats to safely enter.  And they have history of shunning private yachts who wish to enter (not the lagoon, the paperwork).  All small yachts anchor in the protected area just below London north of the Cook Island Passage.  There's no shipyard that could do mast repairs, etc.  Fuel, food (consumables) are available but pricey.  All this info is available online or in a south seas cruising guide. I understand you didn't have those resources.

When last I was there the lagoon was plenty deep for small boats. Indeed, yachts occasionally worked their way into the harbor behind London because it's is very protected. Most don't because the flies can be annoying and there can be issues being so close to town  Also, the lagoon is full of coral and it requires good light and care or local knowledge to transit it to the harbor. So it's not popular with the yachties. The offshore anchorage is vast and easy to approach. It would have been a good place to stop for help. 

FWIW, there is an airstrip that sometimes has scheduled commercial flights. I wouldn't call it an airport. Parts and people can be imported. Indeed, the first time I was on Christmas I flew there to help fix a yacht and deliver it back to Oahu.

19 hours ago, Thread Killer said:

Did you, or did you not claim to have increased your boats draft by two feet? 

Well, she did claim to have added 6 tons of fiberglass and steel - which would almost do it.:rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Whisper said:

24993093_10204001478555359_239043515118876242_n.jpg

fan-phucking-tastic!

On 11.12.2017 at 7:50 PM, Thread Killer said:

Yes. Jen is a story teller. As she says, she is living the fantasy. That means that her experiences must be very special, if they weren't it wouldn't be a fantasy life now would it? 

breathtaking guys your effort to believe in the rationality ("a" rationality) of the story! "devils triangle/sea" & "the tiger sharks episode" tell us everything there is to know. there IS no truth to be gotten at, looking at the very first vid from onboard the navy vessel should tell you that! we shouldn't ask J.A., maybe a psychatrist could shed more light on the whole "tale"

On 12/10/2017 at 1:42 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

I like the optimism.

I was assuming she knew a pin from a bolt so was talking about the bolt. As I said upthread, the only purpose I saw for all the lashing is to avoid spreader stretch. Because, you know, things under compression stretch.

Which one of you geniuses has figured out the run between Oahu and big island and big island to Christmas island is entirely a PORT tack... 

And why does this matter??? The "damaged" spreader is on the stbd side, so not under load. There remains a static compression load from the upper shroud, but there is never a 'stretch' loading. One could sail on port tack with NO stbd spreader at all!

4 minutes ago, Unkle Crusty said:

I had wondered if what they were looking at was a lose upper shroud on the starboard side. And no cause for drama.

Unkle Crusty

God forbid a leeward wire shroud goes slack!

24 minutes ago, Unkle Crusty said:

I had wondered if what they were looking at was a lose upper shroud on the starboard side. And no cause for drama.

Unkle Crusty

Whearre the fuck ist tensionmometiere when we neede herre?                                      :)

• Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 6:36 AM, RKoch said:

CCA style hull, WL is short, maybe 30'.

I think if it's a regi error, it's prob nearly impossible to correct thru beauracracy, so it's stuck since original owner. Might have been an intended error for cheaper regi? It's not like anyone was ever going to actually measure the boat

My first boat was a Cal 27.  I bought it and transferred the slip to my name. The city marina required it to be measured, even though it was the same boat in the same slip.  I protested but they made me bring it over to the harbor master for measurement.  Idiots there gave me a new “shorter” overall length and that reduced my fee by $15 per month.

6 hours ago, longy said:

And why does this matter??? The "damaged" spreader is on the stbd side, so not under load. There remains a static compression load from the upper shroud, but there is never a 'stretch' loading. One could sail on port tack with NO stbd spreader at all!

So the spreader stretching meme isn't going to catch on, huh?

6 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Which one of you geniuses has figured out the run between Oahu and big island and big island to Christmas island is entirely a PORT tack... 

You should definitely take this question with you when you attend your first navigation class.

Please explain who/what convinced you to use "5/8" amsteel" for a halyard????  With 52,500 lbs min break strength it could almost pick up the boat - and there is no such thing visible in your video of the stern of the boat. At close to $5.50 or so a foot, that's some serious money

8 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Jen you really should just fold your tent and go back to anonymity. Posting here will not end well. Do you really think you can bullshit the people on here?

On 10/31/2017 at 2:16 PM, W9GFO said:

I thought Hawaii was rabies free, meaning that coming from Hawaii there is no need for quarantine.

Islands that are rabies free don’t care where you are coming from, animals must be tested or quarantined or both.  They leave nothing to chance.   

48 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Jen you really should just fold your tent and go back to anonymity. Posting here will not end well. Do you really think you can bullshit the people on here?

It is port tack to the big island all through summer and then at least half way to Kiritimati. After that it depends when the northern trades disappear. If you are far enough East when the wind changes you might make it in close hauled on port.

9 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Whearre the fuck ist tensionmometiere when we neede herre?                                      :)

From the spinlock tension thread.... 

9AF0CCAC-9C8D-4BB7-A558-71F5DAC97A1F.jpeg

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, savoir said:

It is port tack to the big island all through summer and then at least half way to Kiritimati. After that it depends when the northern trades disappear. If you are far enough East when the wind changes you might make it in close hauled on port.

My post wasn't particularly about that post. It was about everything she says. Her 15 minutes are up. It only goes one way from here.

I know the Ed & crew aren't big Latitude38 fans,  but... if you get the chance,  see this months letters - after their dismal review of the misadventures of these two by the magazine,  a few comments were printed,  all fairly rational -and thus negative about the skills, judgement and stability of the pair. 

No surprises there...then I notice the first short letter they printed was from Webb Chiles !    Now,  a nicer, more low-key and accomplished sailor you would hard-pressed to find anywhere, and if HE thinks they are unskilled kooks,  that covers it for me - his closing comment that this trip amounted to cruelty to animals !

Ouch. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

I know the Ed & crew aren't big Latitude38 fans,  but... if you get the chance,  see this months letters - after their dismal review of the misadventures of these two by the magazine,  a few comments were printed,  all fairly rational -and thus negative about the skills, judgement and stability of the pair. 

No surprises there...then I notice the first short letter they printed was from Webb Chiles !    Now,  a nicer, more low-key and accomplished sailor you would hard-pressed to find anywhere, and if HE thinks they are unskilled kooks,  that covers it for me - his closing comment that this trip amounted to cruelty to animals !

Ouch. 

This is one of the enduring mysteries. The girls and *especially the dogs* didn't look at all like they had been confined onboard for that long.

Why does anyone care? If this was a competition and they were gaming for a trophy maybe.  Like Rosie Ruiz or Donald Crowhurst.  These are just two demented,  attention seeking, cunt from ceiling hanging, whores.  The only mystery is where did they spend this time?  They won't admit that until they are fully cracked. The halyard wrapping, pulpit bending, spreader groaning , was all debunked on day one.  

A DC10.   Yeah sure. And  I can see Russia from my house   

34 minutes ago, TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:

A DC10.   Yeah sure. And  I can see Russia from my house .

Probably a typo on her part, she meant the DC-9 based in Perris, Ca.

5463.jpg.d69814209834c35a11a7527b5a37b032.jpg

29 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Nah, she mentioned both in the same post.  And typos rarely substitute two digits for one; while zero is next to nine, that one is way across the other side.  She meant DC10.

I am a sailing newbie, but I wonder why one would drift aimlessly rather than sail the rig until it broke?  Damaged is not the same as incapacitated.  I don't think I'd quit sailing because it might break the mast or whatever; I think I'd quit sailing when I'd broken the mast.  I don't think I'd drift in a largely intact boat unless that is what I wanted to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

Nah, she mentioned both in the same post.  And typos rarely substitute two digits for one; while zero is next to nine, that one is way across the other side.  She meant DC10.

I'm sorry, typo is the wrong word.  Brainfart on her part, not a typo.

9 hours ago, LB 15 said:

My post wasn't particularly about that post. It was about everything she says. Her 15 minutes are up. It only goes one way from here.

Yeah, but now if you want a holiday in Kiritimati you will know how to get there.

4 hours ago, axolotl said:

yes we should cut her some slack. its not like she has ever spoken bullshit before.

3 hours ago, LoHo said:

I am a sailing newbie, but I wonder why one would drift aimlessly rather than sail the rig until it broke?  Damaged is not the same as incapacitated.  I don't think I'd quit sailing because it might break the mast or whatever; I think I'd quit sailing when I'd broken the mast.  I don't think I'd drift in a largely intact boat unless that is what I wanted to do.

There's much to like about the Con Tiki style of voyaging. Sprouts. Cheese. Rotting Mahi in the rigging. Chickens. Buttery smashed taters. Practicing the 1,000 yard stare. (Apparently) Bending Q Tips. Free tows. Meeting friendly rescuers. Spoiled oats when water somehow penetrates a paper bag. Best of all, no worries and almost no budget!

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

Ah, you mean she was bullshitting again.

No, I'm saying her claim of skydiving out of a DC10, which appears impossible  on the InterWebs, if ever posted by her was a remembrance mistake on her part and she's skydived out of a DC-9, maybe other commercial jets and probably some other exotic jet powered jump airplanes.

Bullshitting is making up stuff or denying obviously true stuff with an alternate explanations.  This "what planes has she jumped out of " is is a diversion. I'm more interested in the particulars concerning her voyage,  the boat preparations prior to departure, system failures, the Navy rescue. stuff like that, where she has obviously bulshitted in the past but has admitted to some inaccuracies (Force 11 Storm, the shark attack, etc.).

The reason I'm still here is the actual person (Appel) has had the balls to post here prolifically.  I'll gloss over her wandering  responses and  center on specific  tidbits:

• She states Clean has copies of the mast repair invoice(s), other bills, etc., a treasure trove of GPS Coords in some quizzical format which is apparently undecipherable and much more hard copy which will explain her voyage.
  • Because Appel had a few hours to abandon ship, she apparently  salvaged gobs of thumb drives, documents, cellphones, handheld GPS's and corroborating stuff.
  • She claims the US Navy has recordings of all contacts with her boat and the Taiwanese tow vessel and will vindicate her concerning the tow and ultimate abandonment.

So, show me the money shot!  When will Clean, Appel, and the US military publish their shit and clarify Appel's voyage?

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

There's much to like about the Con Tiki style of voyaging.

Sure, except Thor Heyerdahl knew where he was going and got there...

30 minutes ago, axolotl said:

The reason I'm still here is the actual person (Appel) has had the balls to post here prolifically. 

Not seeing any balls here. 

Pictured: A naked Appel dangling from a ceiling contraption in a seductive dance

axolotl above mentions boat preparations and system failures.

We know that the boat prep did not include an auto helm or self steering device.

And we can only assume the diesel inboard got them out of the harbour, but soon failed.

The mast probably would have held up sails even without properly functioning spreaders.

The communication system was not up to snuff. But somehow the fresh water supply lasted.

My conclusion is a crew with insufficient experience for the task at hand. Even tho there may be a history of some minor achievements.

I agree with whoever said they have had their 15 minutes.

Unkle Crusty

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

No, I'm saying her claim of skydiving out of a DC10, which appears impossible  on the InterWebs, if ever posted by her was a remembrance mistake on her part and she's skydived out of a DC-9, maybe other commercial jets and probably some other exotic jet powered jump airplanes.

Bullshitting is making up stuff or denying obviously true stuff with an alternate explanations.  This "what planes has she jumped out of " is is a diversion. I'm more interested in the particulars concerning her voyage,  the boat preparations prior to departure, system failures, the Navy rescue. stuff like that, where she has obviously bulshitted in the past but has admitted to some inaccuracies (Force 11 Storm, the shark attack, etc.).

The reason I'm still here is the actual person (Appel) has had the balls to post here prolifically.  I'll gloss over her wandering  responses and  center on specific  tidbits:

• She states Clean has copies of the mast repair invoice(s), other bills, etc., a treasure trove of GPS Coords in some quizzical format which is apparently undecipherable and much more hard copy which will explain her voyage.
  • Because Appel had a few hours to abandon ship, she apparently  salvaged gobs of thumb drives, documents, cellphones, handheld GPS's and corroborating stuff.
  • She claims the US Navy has recordings of all contacts with her boat and the Taiwanese tow vessel and will vindicate her concerning the tow and ultimate abandonment.

So, show me the money shot!  When will Clean, Appel, and the US military publish their shit and clarify Appel's voyage?

Are you delusional? That's just what I want our taxpayer funded military doing. Auditing the story of these two douchebags. Oh yeah. Navy ships often dispatch a crew to do rigging repairs on 4kt shit boxes in the middle of the ocean. Wish them well and have a bonvoyage luau party for them. Maybe it was a CIA boat because others would not be recording and archiving  3rd party vhf conversations with fishing boats. Then you have a pothead SA interviewer with a toddler in tow who is like the 6th person to interview them and got zippo  Clean couldn't find his own balls with 2 boyscouts and an altar boy (no offense Mr. clean)

remembrance mistakes which are caught are called lies   

Not rememberance  mistakes 

grow up you dope  

12 hours ago, LoHo said:
13 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

There's much to like about the Con Tiki style of voyaging.

Sure, except Thor Heyerdahl knew where he was going and got there...

Well, sorta, though Rimas has always managed a smoother arrival.

But Con Tiki voyaging isn't the same thing as Kon Tiki voyaging. One has a gofundme, the other doesn't.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Well, sorta, though Rimas has always managed a smoother arrival.

But Con Tiki voyaging isn't the same thing as Kon Tiki voyaging. One has a gofundme, the other doesn't.

In Heyerdahl's defense GFM (and the internet, even in its most nascent forms) did not exist in the 1940's. I do not know how Kon Tiki was funded and am not nearly interested enough to go dig up the information. But at least the Kon Tiki crew managed to hold their disintegrating heap together (and they did not even have any dyneema, but then who needs that without spreaders) long enough to point it at some point of terra firma and get themselves ashore without the involvement of Taiwanese fishermen intent on...rescuing them, was that the intent?

3 hours ago, casc27 said:
5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

My mistake...I thought it was a spelling error, not an ideological one.

..maybe t. heyerdahls name should not be besmirched by being mentioned in a JA context! he was a legend in his own time, a man larger than life, an innovative thinker if ever there was one, truly a man that "ran where others dared not to go", an inspiration for millions of youngsters like I was one

3 hours ago, tane said:

..maybe t. heyerdahls name should not be besmirched by being mentioned in a JA context! he was a legend in his own time, a man larger than life, an innovative thinker if ever there was one, truly a man that "ran where others dared not to go", an inspiration for millions of youngsters like I was one

I preffere to thick TH wase notte afraide folloe Oakumes Razorre and keepe thinges sippelle, simplicitey canbe innovatione.                         :)

On 12/13/2017 at 7:26 PM, LB 15 said:

Jen you really should just fold your tent and go back to anonymity.

Awwww - I keep trying - but then laughing at some of the things the SA regulars post - it just sucks me back in.

Besides, Its so much more fun to say something, have one of you carpal tunnels twist it, read the threaders who got their panties in a wad from reading the twisty "facts", going a few posts deeper to see someone who has a clue correct the error and I get to sit back and get a good laugh.

The only planes we jump out of have been retrofitted for skydiving - but hey, I can tell nobody actually went to the place I mentioned to read that part without flying off the handle...

20 pages and counting is really entertaining... when is Clean gonna post the gps track

1 hour ago, Jennifer said:

Awwww - I keep trying - but then laughing at some of the things the SA regulars post - it just sucks me back in.

Besides, Its so much more fun to say something, have one of you carpal tunnels twist it, read the threaders who got their panties in a wad from reading the twisty "facts", going a few posts deeper to see someone who has a clue correct the error and I get to sit back and get a good laugh.

The only planes we jump out of have been retrofitted for skydiving - but hey, I can tell nobody actually went to the place I mentioned to read that part without flying off the handle...

20 pages and counting is really entertaining... when is Clean gonna post the gps track

When are you going to give answers on the questions that have been asked? We are all just going around in circles like sharks in the living room 

On 12/14/2017 at 12:09 PM, LoHo said:

Welcome new guy.

You just won the "State the Blatantly Obvious" award.

Hey everyone, this guy just figured it out.  Thread over...

1 hour ago, strop said:

When are you going to give answers on the questions that have been asked? We are all just going around in circles like sharks in the living room 

she wont. i tried to give her the benefit of not being the complete moron i thought she was , because she came here ready to tell the tale. most likely even she doesn't know what in the fuck she was doing , it's probably a get famous scam , hence why her patna ain't talkin . she doesn't know how to sail , she doesn't know how to fix a god damn thing , and wastes everybody elses time and resources to fix her fuck-ups . but she is entertaining .

38 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

she wont. i tried to give her the benefit of not being the complete moron i thought she was , because she came here ready to tell the tale. most likely even she doesn't know what in the fuck she was doing , it's probably a get famous scam , hence why her patna ain't talkin . she doesn't know how to sail , she doesn't know how to fix a god damn thing , and wastes everybody elses time and resources to fix her fuck-ups . but she is entertaining .

{Content redacted} Take it to PA.

20 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Well don't say I didn't warn you.  You know that 'infamous'  and 'famous'  are not the same thing right?  You are giving all sex workers a bad name.

21 hours ago, Jennifer said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA 

That's called a tandem....

.... and no, its not me but I truly enjoyed the laugh... Thank you for that one

Jen,

it was funny but being serious for a moment. If your twat can dance like that in a static environment (and I think it can), I've got a business proposition for you on Emmons Avenue.  

Fuck Mr Clean, ( not literally)  Give me the gps track and I will post it  

agreed? 

Getting more attracted by the Day and  fondly, 

Tony F.S.B   

22 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Did you or did you not skydive out of a DC-10? If so, which one?

Put up or shut up.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, axolotl said:
  • So, show me the money shot!  When will Clean, Appel, and the US military publish their shit and clarify Appel's voyage?

Right after the Promises Kept story gets its final review and is published.

10 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Did you or did you not skydive out of a DC-10? If so, which one?

Put up or shut up.

Tough talk from the Eastern Shore.

You know bullying women is no longer in vogue, right?

1 minute ago, BillDBastard said:

Tough talk from the Eastern Shore.

You know bullying women is no longer in vogue, right?

Sorry you are offended.

"Could you kindly point us towards the DC-10 you parachuted out of for our education and entertainment or refrain from expressing your thoughts in this forum in the future"

OK or do you need a fainting couch?

25 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Saime in Poplare Mechanices to.

Very well played mate!

57 minutes ago, longy said:

Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane & jumping off a perfectly good sailboat - what's her next jump??

She jumped the shark a long time ago.