• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Hugh Jorgan

Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

17 hours ago, sunol said:

Depressing. Meanwhile, an American captain wins the first leg of the Volvo and you can't find that on major US news channels. Oh, BTW, plenty of truly amazing female sailors at the Volvo if you want that angle. But no, these idiots get the attention.

They need to start carrying dogs.

41 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Good for her I say. i admire a girl who has a crack.

Getting flashbacks to Baywatch...that bikini almost goes up to her armpits.

From a post on Honolulu Star Advertiser

Roman Kalinowski I had a cougar thing with Jen for awhile when in college at UHawaii. There are lots of great female mariners on this planet; she is not one of them. 

AFAIK, Jen had no autopilot and only a poor handheld GPS. Because she was pretty much broke, her boat
 was not in condition for blue sea sailing. Thus, her spreader/shroud on the mast got messed up after rough seas, so likely she couldn’t sail w/o risking the mast being torn out. 

However she should have been able to progress downwind to land with jib sail only, despite rig damage. 

For those wondering about the engine, there are bands of latitude called the doldrums, where there is little to no wind and you do need an engine. 

She wrecked her first boat on the reef right outside Ala Wai harbor/magic island (2012). 

Jen would sail on my boat and a few others and think she was great because she could steer it and tack just off Oahu. The open ocean is much harsher. I would never take my boat out of the Hawaiian islands until I get more experience in the Med/Carib. One trip from Kauai did not prepare her for a trip to Tahiti. 

Crossing the Pacific Ocean is the sailing equivalent of climbing Mount Everest. Not to be taken lightly.

The most messed up thing is that Jen only knew her companion for 3 days before they left, the other woman had no idea how crazy/dumb Jen is and got stuck on that boat.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Yep look at those eyes. She is completely off her rocker. This is going to be great.

gessh....I could only watch 30 seconds 

38 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

what is it with her and sailing with dogs? it's a common theme with her shipwrecks... I think the dogs are to blame.

This was a 5-day plan? Dogs were near fat, if not so, when found, and friendly to all? So much jetsam here! We so willing to let a road apple wagon in the gates? Please! Give these bozos the attention they deserve, in jail.

Truly a made-in-America really bad reality TV show.  Wow.  Love the press conference wearing the ship's hats.

So, is this just the beginning or the crashing end of their 15 mins of fame?  Next up, photo op with the President and a victory parade? Milking it for all it's worth, for sure.  

2 hours ago, SVTankGirl said:

From a post on Honolulu Star Advertiser

Roman Kalinowski I had a cougar thing with Jen for awhile when in college at UHawaii. There are lots of great female mariners on this planet; she is not one of them. 

AFAIK, Jen had no autopilot and only a poor handheld GPS. Because she was pretty much broke, her boat
 was not in condition for blue sea sailing. Thus, her spreader/shroud on the mast got messed up after rough seas, so likely she couldn’t sail w/o risking the mast being torn out. 

However she should have been able to progress downwind to land with jib sail only, despite rig damage. 

For those wondering about the engine, there are bands of latitude called the doldrums, where there is little to no wind and you do need an engine. 

She wrecked her first boat on the reef right outside Ala Wai harbor/magic island (2012). 

Jen would sail on my boat and a few others and think she was great because she could steer it and tack just off Oahu. The open ocean is much harsher. I would never take my boat out of the Hawaiian islands until I get more experience in the Med/Carib. One trip from Kauai did not prepare her for a trip to Tahiti. 

Crossing the Pacific Ocean is the sailing equivalent of climbing Mount Everest. Not to be taken lightly.

The most messed up thing is that Jen only knew her companion for 3 days before they left, the other woman had no idea how crazy/dumb Jen is and got stuck on that boat.

Click through that link to Roman's FB page. Just about what you'd expect from a dude who "had a cougar thing with Jen for awhile". 

Son, not all business is good business.

Anybody notice they have a fender out? (!)  And a couple more piled up in the cockpit.  Did they deploy the fender to protect their boat during the rescue? Or was it there the whole time?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

They are all over the press at the moment.

Jennifer Appel must be spending all her time on the phone organising interviews and articles.

Jeez, I hope *somebody* does a little research on both her and her story before she hits GMA or the View or some other shit. . .

50 minutes ago, snacktician said:

Oh man.  They're fixin' to get lost again,  just like in Gilligan's Island.  Please tell me the US Navy bills them for the second rescue:

http://nypost.com/2017/10/30/women-rescued-after-spending-5-months-lost-at-sea-plan-their-next-trip/

So we have until next May to get them a boat that has an activated Delormed bolted on.

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

So we have until next May to get them a boat that has an activated Delormed bolted on.

Or at least some toothbrushes (yikes).

On 10/27/2017 at 5:29 PM, freewheelin said:

They were empowered by the "force 11 storm" for two nights out of Honolulu on May 3rd? I think they meant 11 kt storm. https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/honolulu/historic?month=5&year=2017

Empowered by a force 11 storm huh....For the record, this is what force 10 in the N. Pacific looks like........ and she's just under 490'. And they take a years worth of shelf stable dry goods and 2 water makers, but they don't take an EPIRB........ Shit, you can get a PLB these days for around $250. Their story is just too good.

no 1 north pacific - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the vagaries even in the diet story.  In one part of a video I recall The Blonde saying they ate beef jerky and 'cans do not work' or something to that effect and whatever that meant.  Then elsewhere they somewhat proudly espouse living on a vegan diet.  ???

• Like 1

Our intrepid skipper did have an EPIRB registered to her and the vessel. She also had a screwdriver that could have been used to short out the rain soaked starter solenoid which would have let them start the motor. Go figure...

5 hours ago, CaptMM said:

Anybody notice they have a fender out? (!)  And a couple more piled up in the cockpit.  Did they deploy the fender to protect their boat during the rescue? Or was it there the whole time?

I saw that, too.  Figured it might of been for when the fishing boat came in close for the tow or prepping for the navy boat.  Don't wanna scratch her ya know.  I'd really like to hear what the 'heavy damage' was from the tow?  

Where does it say she had an EPIRB?  I don't doubt any of it since I think they are straight up running a scam, but I just didn't see it in any article.  I did see it mentioned that she had a sat phone which mysteriously did not work along with every other communications item.

Also, I read several quotes 'the antenna' failed and all the comms didn't work because of that.  'The' implies one to me.  On board a vhf, ssb and sat radio phone I believe?  Three different antennas.

I will preface this with the fact that I think there is no way in hell these women should have gone to sea, and their manic incoherent story smells of a scam.  But there is something comforting about Sailing Anarchy, a predictable response..  Two unprepared dudes get lost at sea, yeah bad luck or stupidity.  Two unprepared women get lost at sea = "that chick was slutty on land and they lived off eating pussy at sea."  As if that has any bearing on or relation to the situation.  Next time a couple of idiot guys need rescuing I am pasting this forum with sexual slanders and theories on how they lived on dick, and will consider it fair play.

• Like 12
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, brishear said:

I will preface this with the fact that I think there is no way in hell these women should have gone to sea, and their manic incoherent story smells of a scam.  But there is something comforting about Sailing Anarchy, a predictable response..  Two unprepared dudes get lost at sea, yeah bad luck or stupidity.  Two unprepared women get lost at sea = "that chick was slutty on land and they lived off eating pussy at sea."  As if that has any bearing on or relation to the situation.  Next time a couple of idiot guys need rescuing I am pasting this forum with sexual slanders and theories on how they lived on dick, and will consider it fair play.

I'm not going to defend the misogyny around here but FWIW, Rimas was getting all sorts of shit long before these two set off on their misadventure. It's the incompetence and grifting that's the main trigger, IMHO. 

Glad to see more women on this site, please invite your friends. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brishear said:

As I understand it, she had a history of strategically sleeping with people to advance earlier scams.  If that is true, then it is relevant.

Some of the other stories tend to exemplify some mental instability and history of bad decision making.  Also relevant.

I don’t think the comments here were about slut-ho bashing.

I do not know her, but I know people who do.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, IStream said:

I'm not going to defend the misogyny around here but FWIW, Rimas was getting all sorts of shit long before these two set off on their misadventure. It's the incompetence and grifting that's the main trigger, IMHO. 

Glad to see more women on this site, please invite your friends. 

shit,  glad we didn;t go the bestiality route.......huh ;-)

11 minutes ago, Whisper said:

As I understand it, she had a history of strategically sleeping with people to advance earlier scams.  If that is true, then it is relevant.

Some of the other stories tend to exemplify some mental instability and history of bad decision making.  Also relevant.

I don’t think the comments here were about slut-ho bashing.

I do not know her, but I know people who do.

For sure that woman (captain?) has a serious manic gleam, I feel bad for the other one.  Many of the comments here have been relevant and even clever and hilarious.  My point is still valid, and no, I don't drive a Subaru with bumper stickers you foolios.

12 minutes ago, Swabbie said:

I bet you drive a Subaru Outback 

Outbacks are kick ass cars!  Runs circles around my Jeep.  Though I do see many others with eye rolling bumper stickers.  

39 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

Also, I read several quotes 'the antenna' failed and all the comms didn't work because of that.  'The' implies one to me.  On board a vhf, ssb and sat radio phone I believe?  Three different antennas.

maybe the string broke...Image result for tin can phone

I've got a question if anyone here hails from Hawaii.  Do the sport fishers go out 400 miles?  The Blonde said when they were 726ish miles south of Hawaii on an failed return attempt she was hoping a friend would be out fishing and they could hear her.  Huh?  Damn, that's a trek for some trolling.  Add in line of sight restrictions for vhf.  Does not compute.

8 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

maybe the string broke...Image result for tin can phone

So true!  I wondered about that as well.... did you spot any whip antennas?  Maybe a backstay antenna.

4 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

I've got a question if anyone here hails from Hawaii.  Do the sport fishers go out 400 miles?  The Blonde said when they were 726ish miles south of Hawaii on an failed return attempt she was hoping a friend would be out fishing and they could hear her.  Huh?  Damn, that's a trek for some trolling.  Add in line of sight restrictions for vhf.  Does not compute.

VHF is around 30nm based on antenna height.

2 minutes ago, brishear said:

So true!  I wondered about that as well.... did you spot any whip antennas?  Maybe a backstay antenna.

just this one atop the masthead  Image result for broken tv antenna with clothes hanger

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Our intrepid skipper did have an EPIRB registered to her and the vessel. She also had a screwdriver that could have been used to short out the rain soaked starter solenoid which would have let them start the motor. Go figure...

They had the screwdriver. They just needed Dr. Who to go with it, apparently...

37 minutes ago, dacapo said:

shit,  glad we didn;t go the bestiality route.......huh ;-)

That’s coming up on page 6. 

Woof. 

5 minutes ago, Peanut Butter said:

That’s coming up on page 6. 

Woof. 

Sea Wolf does Two... Dog Day Afternoon at the Beach....All Paws on Deck...  The Voyage of The Dogs.. Jennifer's Tail...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

just this one atop the masthead  Image result for broken tv antenna with clothes hanger

Send the deckie up there to adjust... a little to the left, nope, back the other way, that's it... hold it!  Haha!

1 hour ago, brishear said:

Maybe you should go read the 1000 days thread. Educational it is.

20 minutes ago, brishear said:

Yeah.....that opened up the two questions.  Do the guys troll or do deep sea fishing 400nm out?  And, even if they do,  how does The Blonde expect vhf to make the 266nm gap between them and the fishing boat?  Rhetorical questions.

17 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

Do the sport fishers go out 400 miles?  The Blonde said when they were 726ish miles south of Hawaii on an failed return attempt she was hoping a friend would be out fishing and they could hear her. 

Did she specify "sport" fishers? That's mostly day charter stuff. There is a commercial fishing fleet home ported in the Hawaiian Islands and they do go that far offshore.

Just now, SVTankGirl said:

Yeah.....that opened up the two questions.  Do the guys troll or do deep sea fishing 400nm out?  And, even if they do,  how does The Blonde expect vhf to make the 266nm gap between them and the fishing boat?  Rhetorical questions.

I don't think we can take anything they say as even a brush with reality.  I shut off the video at the packs of tiger sharks reference.  That woman is on a completely different reality plane.  The fact that their GPS antenna, Mf/HF antenna, and sat coms all broke down is sketch enough.  However their VHF was still working?  So their power source to the comms was still intact or they were using handhelds?  Also there is no way in hell they were using a manual water maker, those things put out less than you sweat especially in the tropics.  Sat phones should work up to +/- 75 degrees north or south.  I'm not hating on people who set out on adventures, just on those who don't take the (readily available) advice of those who have gone before.  

8 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

I've heard Hawaiian based fishermen on the VHF radio near Palmyra.

14 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

Do the guys troll or do deep sea fishing 400nm out? 

Yes..big longliner fleets worked out of there or at least used to. Lot of small boat commercial fisherman too but not that far as distance travelled limited by fuel capacity and shoal locations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weightless said:

I've heard Hawaiian based fishermen on the VHF radio near Palmyra.

Shoals there and used by local small boat fisherman before Capt Cook. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2017 at 10:59 PM, shoeby11 said:

Why did they happen to have a year's worth of food?

Thats what you'd take for 4 adults. (two winch handles were missing as well)

On 10/26/2017 at 9:43 PM, Norse Horse said:

Wow, I bet those dawgs were hungry!!

34f68e49dbf634277a0bc62fd3b77f66.jpg

thanks!...just spat coffee on my keyboard ....Burst out laughing. You owe me 19.99 for a keyboard....but ill pay ya 20 for the humour.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Truly a made-in-America really bad reality TV show.  Wow.  Love the press conference wearing the ship's hats.

So, is this just the beginning or the crashing end of their 15 mins of fame?  Next up, photo op with the President and a victory parade? Milking it for all it's worth, for sure.  

All I heard was "...two wonderful seamen..."

Probably the last thing I would expect to hear come from that muff munching mouth.

4 hours ago, casc27 said:

Wasn't Rimas looking for a voyaging companion at one point?

Maybe they were Rimas groupies and figured by drifting they could catch up.

2 hours ago, brishear said:

Some of the commercial tuna boats are going out that far off Kona.

Story is starting to unravel now

U.S. Coast Guard spokesman Lt. Scott Carr told The Associated Press that their review of the incident and subsequent interviews with the survivors revealed that they had the Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) aboard but never turned it on.

During the post-incident debriefing by the Coast Guard, Jennifer Appel, who was on the sailboat with Tasha Fuiava, was asked if she had the emergency beacon on board. Appel replied she did, and that it was properly registered.

"We asked why during this course of time did they not activate the EPIRB. She had stated they never felt like they were truly in distress, like in a 24-hour period they were going to die," said Coast Guard spokeswoman Petty Officer 2nd Class Tara Molle, who was on the call to the AP with Carr.

Also interesting-

Carr also said the Coast Guard made radio contact with a vessel that identified itself as the Sea Nymph in June near Tahiti, and the captain said they were not in distress and expected to make land the next morning. That was after the women reportedly lost their engines and sustained damage to their rigging and mast.

35 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Hurray for journalism!

"And there's more that doesn't add up.

Key elements of the women's account are contradicted by authorities, weather reports and the basic geography of the Pacific Ocean. The discrepancies raised questions about whether Appel and her sailing companion, Tasha Fuiava, remember the ordeal accurately or could have avoided disaster."

Would you like a link to the porn stories she writes?  I’ll have that for you soon.

Maaaan, the boating community on Oahu has a lot to say—which is basically, avoid this scammer like the plague.

• Like 1

I just figured out what island they were really seeking but the magical force 11 storm did not quite work out for them the way it did for the original crew...

minnow.jpg

6 hours ago, brishear said:

Next time a couple of idiot guys need rescuing I am pasting this forum with sexual slanders and theories on how they lived on dick, and will consider it fair play.

You're a day late and a dollar short.

People have been making the extremely tedious and overworked joke of Rimas masturbating 24/7 as he drifts to and fro around the Pacific. But, yeah, we can leave the sexuality out and the story would be just as weird and implausible.

14 hours ago, bridhb said:

She rides an RC 51

Amongst other things.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

On 10/29/2017 at 9:49 PM, savoir said:

The famous Magnolia bakery in NYC was founded by one Jennifer Appel and a female " friend ".

Same person ?

No, that Jen is still in NYC.  Runs another bakery, over on the east side, Buttercup.

And she's a brunette. 

And she's an ex-psychologist, not a psycho.

The pair said they thought about turning back, but the islands of Maui and Lanai didn't have harbors deep enough to accommodate their sailboat. At 50 feet long, the vessel is relatively small, and both islands have harbors that would have accommodated them. Plus, the Big Island -- the southernmost island in state -- has several places to dock.

6.5' draft, hmmm.

I had to sign in to toss my 2 cents and 45k miles of cruising experience into this story. First, this is the biggest bullshit, non-factual pack of incoherent lies I have ever seen pieced together by two idiots!! Force 11 storms, packs of Tiger sharks, an equipment and electronics failure list so long you'd think they put them all in a microwave, turned it on high and tried to eat them for lunch!

I made the trip from Honolulu, to the Tuamotus back in April of 2011 and had "some" trouble believing the Force 11 storm bullshit. Not to mention that a storm that size would have been forecast and only a complete and total idiot would port and voluntarily depart in those conditions.

That said, here's a link to the NOAA National Buoy Data Historical Data for May, 2017 for Station 51002 This buoy is 215mi SSW of Hilo. They never had winds more than 10kts and seas never reached 2.5 meters and were mostly less than 2 meters. A far freakin' cry from Force 11 conditions.

I can;t figure how anyone could believe this bullshit story, but the news media just eats it up without ever questioning it. I'm not sure what these 2 liars expect to gain from this ridiculous story but I expect to hear about the Go Fund Me Page being setup. 

• Like 1