• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Hugh Jorgan

Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

I feel like someone had to have posted about this already but I didn't see it anywhere yet. If so move along, nothing to see here.  As usual there must be more to this story than reported.  Were they planning to motor all the way?  Without the engine eventually lost power and nav instruments & without the chart plotter went off course?  Sextant was the plug in model?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-sailors-and-their-dogs-rescued-after-months-adrift-at-sea/

...''Appel said they survived thanks to water purifiers and a year's supply of dry food on board, including rice, pasta and oatmeal, according to the Navy.''

so, uhhh,  doesn't the watermaker require the engine to operate, at least to power batteries ?  

Perhaps there's a wind-powered generator.:mellow:

171025-n-ux013-119.jpg#

EPIRB, sat phone?  Maybe they used up all the sat phone minutes posting selfies on Facebook and the dog ate the homework, ah, I mean EPIRB?

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 2.09.25 PM 2.jpg

3 minutes ago, A-NU-START said:

I'm impressed that the humans didn't eat the dogs after 5 months. 

The article failed to mention they started with 6 cats and 4 dogs & were found with 2 dogs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A-NU-START said:

... or vice versa... a more likely scenario given this couple's skill set...

The dogs were probably more than ready to give up the rice, oatmeal and pasta after five months. Word is they haven't left the mess decks since the rescue. :D

1 hour ago, couchsurfer said:

...''Appel said they survived thanks to water purifiers and a year's supply of dry food on board, including rice, pasta and oatmeal, according to the Navy.''

so, uhhh,  doesn't the watermaker require the engine to operate, at least to power batteries ?  

171025-n-ux013-119.jpg#

There is what looks like a wind generator on the stern.  Is that a picture of the "rescue?"  If it is, I'm curious why they didn't deploy those Dacron white things attached to the boom and forestay.  Do people really sail from Hawaii to Tahiti with a "year's supply of food" on board?  I heard this story on our local news this morning and immediately thought to myself that  a lot of this just doesn't add up.  Does anyone have more on this?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Who is climbing the mast?

The guy with the keys to the engine and halyards got stuck up there 5 months ago and they still can't get him down.

just saw this on nbc nightly news-----something smells. Its called a sailboat for a reason...

Yup--looking forward to what Lucy has to say.

I did notice that the story mentioned they were transmitting distress calls "which no one heard until now."  So there must have been power.  

19 minutes ago, full circle said:

i'm no geography wizard, but...

...they were sailing from hawaii to tahiti and they were rescued 900 mile se of japan?

Only missed by 5000 miles, or so, and 120°, more or less......

Very curious to hear more details if any become available.  Presumably there was no EPIRB or sat phone.  If they relied on the engine to power their chartplotter, phones etc. and didn't have the means or ability to do celestial nav then I could see where they run out of navigation at some point and don't have a reliable fix on their position for months.

One also wonders how much sailing they did and whether anything happened there.  Did they sky or chafe the main halyard and not have the ability to get up the mast and put on a new one and then just drift the rest of the way?  Or were they sailing the whole time and drifting way off intended course, and only put down the sails for the rescue?

One wonders what their electricity triage situation was, and whether they could at least use that wind generator to juice up the phone or chartplotter and at least figure out where they were.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

That's ridiculous. Why is the weed halfway up the hull?

That weed implies hard aground somewhere. Or hove to at a constant angle for months (How?).

And nobody missed them?

Yeah. There is more to the story. 

I'm guessing neither knew how to sail and they proceeded to Tahiti using the engine.  The news report said after losing power they thought they could "make it to land using the ship's sails", almost as if they had not thought of that before the motor died.  

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this looks like a by-product of the participation-award culture.  "You're great; you're a winner. Nothing is impossible if you dream big, etc., etc."  Not dissimilar to the Rimas Facebook fans.

I'll give them a little benefit of the doubt for going after it despite this journey seemed to be well over their skill level.  I think most of us have gone into situations which were over our heads and came out of it better, more experienced and a whole lot more afraid once we realized first hand how quickly shit can go bad out there.  Unfortunately it's the burden of the newbie who doesn't know what exactly they're supposed to be afraid of.  'The mind can't know what the eyes don't see'.  Also, insert your favorite cliche about boats not meant to stay in harbors, etc.  Who knows, there may be a logical explanation that comes out eventually.  But no fricken EPIRB?????????

54 minutes ago, madohe said:

Only missed by 5000 miles, or so, and 120°, more or less......

54 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Very curious to hear more details if any become available.  Presumably there was no EPIRB or sat phone.  If they relied on the engine to power their chartplotter, phones etc. and didn't have the means or ability to do celestial nav then I could see where they run out of navigation at some point and don't have a reliable fix on their position for months.

One also wonders how much sailing they did and whether anything happened there.  Did they sky or chafe the main halyard and not have the ability to get up the mast and put on a new one and then just drift the rest of the way?  Or were they sailing the whole time and drifting way off intended course, and only put down the sails for the rescue?

One wonders what their electricity triage situation was, and whether they could at least use that wind generator to juice up the phone or chartplotter and at least figure out where they were.

I have a feeling they were reading the compass backwards  :(

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Not Kon-tiki style, like some other "intrepid" sailors. . .

The spirit lives on.

14 minutes ago, 4ktsb said:

The mud and growth way up the side is absolutely a clue.

Yes, it looks like they spent quite a while on their side in shallow water or something.

Could we say Would we say Should we say that we have found sailors less competent  than Rimas?

After all Rimas jury rigs sails 

Manages to find land.

4 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

171025-n-ux013-119.jpg#

Looks like an old Columbia/Coronado 45?

The Navy should hire them. They won’t run into anything, including a harbor. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Looks like an old Columbia/Coronado 45?

Or one of the Starrett and Jenks from the old Morgan 45 mold.

They were seriously off course from Tahiti. Fuck, Rimas gets closer than that and he can only drift downwind. I'm suspecting there's a patreon account involved.

engine probably just sucked up a bunch of crap from the fuel tank. Doesn't sound like they knew how to sail or maintain a boat. Def couldn't navigate.

They had water purifiers and a year's worth of food aboard — mostly dry goods like oatmeal, pasta and rice — before setting out for Tahiti from Hawaii on May 3, the Navy and Marie Appel said, and they used those supplies to survive.

The fishing vessel contacted Coast Guard in Guam and the USS Ashland, an amphibious dock landing ship that was operating in the area, reached the sailboat late Wednesday morning, the Navy said.

Appel and Fuiaba were taken aboard the USS Ashland and will remain until the ship’s next port of call, the Navy said.

"They saved our lives. The pride and smiles we had when we saw [U.S. Navy] on the horizon was pure relief," Appel said in a statement released by the Navy.

The sailboat the pair was on lost its engine during a storm on May 30, and they believed they could make it to land by sail, according to the Navy. But by two months after leaving Hawaii, they began making distress calls every day, but were out of range for any stations or ships, the Navy said.

Marie Appel said she was told that after her daughter, a landscape architect who has been sailing for about a year and a half, and her friend Fuiaba set sail from Oahu, a series of things went wrong.

I

Two hours in the trip her phone was washed overboard, Jennifer Appel contacted the Coast Guard to let them know and the Coast Guard estimated the pair should arrive in Tahiti by around June 5.

Then there were problems with the antenna, the motor starter failed, and new rigging on the mast broke, Marie Appel said.

The Navy said the engine became disabled during bad weather on May 30, but they continued on by sail. When they were found they were far off course, closer to Japan while Tahiti is south of Hawaii, around 2,600 miles away. They sailboat was found more than 5,000 miles away from Tahiti.

"At one point she was close to Wake Island but because of the winds she never made it there either. And so she’s just been drifting, drifting with the currents," Marie Appel said.

Marie Appel said she doesn’t know when she will be reunited with her daughter, who is from Texas and has been living in Hawaii for around eight years.

"Jennifer’s a very strong-willed person, and very curious, and very creative, so consequently when things would break she would try to fix them," Marie Appel said. "And so I was sure that if it was any possibility, she would pull it out, she would make it."

when Jennifer Appel called her mother from the Navy ship, Marie Appel said "she was so enthusiastic and she really sounded healthy and in good spirits. That was fantastic."

Appel said with a laugh that she would advise her daughter "I think four wheels on the solid ground is preferable to sailing," but doesn’t think the experience will land lock Jennifer.

"She loved the water, she loved going to Galveston, she’s always enjoyed the water," Marie Appel said. "So I doubt that she’ll stop, I doubt that she’ll stop sailing." 

32 minutes ago, notherday said:

Marie Appel said she was told that after her daughter, a landscape architect who has been sailing for about a year and a half, and her friend Fuiaba set sail from Oahu, a series of things went wrong.

I think I see the problem.

3 hours ago, daddle said:

That weed implies hard aground somewhere. Or hove to at a constant angle for months (How?).

And nobody missed them?

Yeah. There is more to the story. 

Nope,  no more story here.  Just two stupid Americans.  And there's tens of millions more of them.  

1 hour ago, RIGO said:

Wow - never heard this story before.... That's this evening's TV viewing sorted then 

One of the most riveting, harrowing chase scenes ever in cinematic history --and certainly nautical cinematic history-- starts at 4:00.  A must see, like the 5 month drift-a-thon...

Look for the movie "Abandoned" about 4 guys on a flipped cat from Oz or NZL. They were tormented when they finally made landfall because no one believed their story.

55 minutes ago, CALtd said:

Look for the movie "Abandoned" about 4 guys on a flipped cat from Oz or NZL. They were tormented when they finally made landfall because no one believed their story.

"Too good to be true" versus "too stupid to be true".

The slime could be from a rope slung from bow to stern. Setup as a means of hanging on/getting back on board? Doesn't look like an easy boat to get back onto if you went overboard. Just sayin but probably not!

Looking forward to more info on this one. I don't have an explanation for sailing to Tahiti without (apparently) knowing how to sail. However, given the prices in Tahiti, I can understand bringing a year's supply of food.

So the most up to date count is Rimas has 2 sisters, 2 brothers and may or may not have had  a less than christian relationship with one of his brothers dog, causing it to run away to sea. The Rimas damage bill direct and indirect is going through the roof.

Looks like there are a main and a jib on the boat. Reminds me of All is Lost.

It's a sailboat so SAIL it!

Rudder problems perhaps.

There appears to be someone half way up the mast in the pictures.

the ladies look very healthy and clean in the pictures. Not what I would expect someone who was drifting around for five months trapped on a little boat. Something is very fishy.

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That's ridiculous. Why is the weed halfway up the hull?

Because waves clutches against it?
But I agree they could use the deck broom.

8 hours ago, Handsailor said:

Oh well played Sir.

9 hours ago, RKoch said:

They were seriously off course from Tahiti. Fuck, Rimas gets closer than that and he can only drift downwind. I'm suspecting there's a patreon account involved.

engine probably just sucked up a bunch of crap from the fuel tank. Doesn't sound like they knew how to sail or maintain a boat. Def couldn't navigate.

Morons at sea. One of the women on the news this morning said "We believe we had less than 24 hours before the boat would sink."

I feel sorry for the dogs. Maybe a couple (or more) of the Navy sailors will be getting lucky though.

FB- Doug

25 minutes ago, hdra said:

I'm pretty sure Rimas may actually be a better sailor than these two... who knew?

The story headline should definitely be changed to:

"Two drifters and a dog rescued after 5 months at sea"

Otherwise, it makes sailors look like complete idiots and the US Navy look like total studs.

9 hours ago, Handsailor said:

....hehe

6 hours ago, Jiffy Reefer said:

The slime could be from a rope slung from bow to stern. Setup as a means of hanging on/getting back on board? Doesn't look like an easy boat to get back onto if you went overboard. Just sayin but probably not!

The ends of the scum line go down, not up.

Interviewed this morning, the one woman said, "The mast was broken. It wasn't working." 

Um, okay.  

There's a whiff of fraud and fame whoring about this not-at-all-thin pair and their couple of healthy looking dogs.

8 minutes ago, Lex Teredo said:

Interviewed this morning, the one woman said, "The mast was broken. It wasn't working." 

Um, okay.  

There's a whiff of fraud and fame whoring about this not-at-all-thin pair and their couple of healthy looking dogs.

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the news segment interview with her?  I was trying to explain to someone (non-sailor) how utterly ridiculous this whole story sounds.

The only ones that know how stupid the women are the dogs!            Too bad dogs can't talk     

12 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the news segment interview with her?  I was trying to explain to someone (non-sailor) how utterly ridiculous this whole story sounds.

No. It was on the Today Show. Caught 30 seconds on the way out the door to work at 7:20.  My wife was screaming at these two for being useless idiots with no business being on the water, 13 year old son asked my why they didn't just go up the mast and fix whatever was broke like we make him do.  So yes, completely ridiculous.  But it was our entertainment for the day.  Only downside is the rest of us who are competent may be subject to increased and unnecessary regulation thanks to jokers like these two and Rimas.   

15 hours ago, A-NU-START said:

Or visa versa

I would have rescuedthe dogs and left the 2 idiots to fend for themsleves 

Take a look at one of the sailor's shirt:  "My shirt is brighter than your future"    WTF....should read, my shirt is bright but my brain isn't, and I don't know how to sail worth shit.

I like this quote from the Guardian

From one of their mothers,

“I had hope all along, she is very resourceful and she’s curious and as things break she tries to repair them, she doesn’t sit and wait for the repairman to get there, so I knew the same thing would be true of the boat.”

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lex Teredo said:

No. It was on the Today Show. Caught 30 seconds on the way out the door to work at 7:20.  My wife was screaming at these two for being useless idiots with no business being on the water, 13 year old son asked my why they didn't just go up the mast and fix whatever was broke like we make him do.  So yes, completely ridiculous.  But it was our entertainment for the day.  Only downside is the rest of us who are competent may be subject to increased and unnecessary regulation thanks to jokers like these two and Rimas.   

In their own words, with classic sensationalized news anchor guy voice-over narration  (Today show clip):  https://www.today.com/news/two-women-their-dogs-rescued-navy-after-being-lost-sea-t118077

My favorites are, "we honestly thought we were going to die in the next 24 hours", just prior to being picked up, and the part where they said they went below ("downstairs") to lie down, telling "the boys" (their dogs) to be quiet, because sharks in the water  "could hear us".  Wow.

11 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

In their own words, with classic sensationalized news anchor guy voice-over narration  (Today show clip):  https://www.today.com/news/two-women-their-dogs-rescued-navy-after-being-lost-sea-t118077

My favorites are, "we honestly thought we were going to die in the next 24 hours", just prior to being picked up, and the part where they said they went below ("downstairs") to lie down, telling "the boys" (their dogs) to be quiet, because sharks in the water  "could hear us".  Wow.

Well, that's perfectly reasonable, because a recent documentary showed how sharks can be picked up if there's a stiff breeze, blown around in the air and wreak havoc.  Then the only way to fend them off is with chainsaws, and the two stroke pre-mix for their boat's chainsaw unfortunately got contaminated with water during a bad Force 4 blow. 

Here's that documentary I mentioned explaining the avian/sharkian threat:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2724064/

This should be the lead story in Failing Anarchy.

What kind of short bus miseryship is this? They had everything they needed; including brains in their heads and opposable thumbs. All they lacked was common sense and motivation.

Ant Steward found his way around the world with damp school atlas. 

It’s a wonder they remembered how to convert oxygen to carbon dioxide throughout the whole misadventure.

Zero sympathy here. Hope the Navy took them down below and passed them around for a kick in the pants...

According to the bullshit story told on NBC they left Hawaii on May 3 for Tahiti 2600nm away and didn't hit the storm, break anything or lose engine until May 30. WTF! This story is complete bullshit or they are the most incompetent/reckless sailors of all time.

51 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Thanks for the clip. What a pair of idiots. The sharks could smell them, oh no! Best part of the clip was the moron anchor stating that those two are looking forward to another adventure out at sea.

As for the mother's assertion that her daughter did not wait for the repair man, I think the daughter is one of those who increases the cost of the repair by meddling before the professional arrives. 

Was a decent looking POS boat though. Is there room for Rimas on their next adventure? Seriously, I do not think I can take having to follow two separate drift-a-thon threads.

40 minutes ago, Swabbie said:

yeah dogs and the pets are in far too good shape. 

complete BS.

they probably got tired of eating pussy every day for 5 months and left the little island they were hanging out on .

Now that's some entertaining sailor talk...you are referring to the dogs?...oh wait the GIRLS!

For those who think the slime on the hull is a sign of a conspiracy... it's not.

Look at any photos of boats that have been at sea for a long time and they'll get that slime.

The mighty Berrimilla would return from it's travels with slime growing on the hull and the same with Jon Sanders' boats when he finished his circumnavigations..

Just google the photos.

Why do these stories always ignite conspiracy theories here? I thought SA was a place of reason and experience.

Yeah, but the interesting bit is that you tend to need to be actually "sailing" for the slime to grow that far up the hull - when you're on one tack for a long time it definitely happens, but if you're just drifting about without sails up it seems questionable.  Odd to see it on a boat that has supposedly been adrift for so long.  Think perhaps they did in fact sail more than the articles imply?

3 minutes ago, hdra said:

Yeah, but the interesting bit is that you tend to need to be actually "sailing" for the slime to grow that far up the hull - when you're on one tack for a long time it definitely happens, but if you're just drifting about without sails up it seems questionable.  Odd to see it on a boat that has supposedly been adrift for so long.  Think perhaps they did in fact sail more than the articles imply?

That thing would roll like a pig.

yeah, that could definitely do it - would have been interesting if the boat had been recovered to have someone who knows what they're doing to take a look at the "broken mast"