• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Jud - s/v Sputnik

Five months "adrift"?!?

A friend just posted this story (U.S. NBC news) on her FB feed...makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!  At first I thought it was a joke news story...

Two American Women Rescued After Five Months at Sea

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two-american-sailors-rescued-after-five-months-sea-n814806

The CBS story (different link) reads, "Appel and Fuiaba [the two people] set sail from Hawaii to Tahiti in the spring with their dogs, one of which is named Zeus. They said the vessel’s engine died during bad weather on May 30, but the pair believed [!!!!] they could make it to land using the ship’s sails. [wow, what a crazy concept...]

"After two months at sea, the sailors said they began issuing daily distress signals, but there were no ships close enough to hear the calls. The ship drifted far off its original course after the engine failed."

"On October 24, they were discovered 900 miles southeast of Japan by a Taiwanese fishing vessel which contacted the U.S. Coast Guard, the Navy said."

WTF?!?  Hawaii to Tahiti, 2600 miles almost due south...and they end up 900 miles SE of......Japan...

fgrom washington post comments
Toddthewolf

This story makes no sense...Bernard Moitessier circumnavigated the globe in 1968 in the Sunday Times Golden Globe race with no engine, no radio and no electronic navigation aids....what's the problem with these women...they were on a SAILboat...not a powerboat...did sustain damage to the sails? And why didn't they have a satellite phone or EPIRB....either something in the story is missing or these women had no business being on the open water.

• Like 1

In their Idiot's Guide to sailing it says to start the engine and motor into the wind before raising the sails. So there is that problem.

Somewhere it said there was a mast or rigging issue. Forget where...

1 hour ago, daddle said:

In their Idiot's Guide to sailing it says to start the engine and motor into the wind before raising the sails. So there is that problem.

Somewhere it said there was a mast or rigging issue. Forget where...

So did they, apparently.

Day 145: Hey, why don't we raise sails?

Day 150: What?

Day 165: Granola. Sails. The eucharist. Snaggletooth.

Day 172: The toilet's full again.

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Has Rimas got two sisters???

Sisters from two other misters, from the looks of them. But definitely cut from the same (non-sail) cloth.

huh... spreaders both looked fine in the video too...  A broken spreader still isn't an excuse for drifting in circles for 5 months with sails.  Someone should fly Rimas from Saipan back to Hawaii to be the captain for these two the next time they go to sea.

25 minutes ago, hdra said:

huh... spreaders both looked fine in the video too...  A broken spreader still isn't an excuse for drifting in circles for 5 months with sails.  Someone should fly Rimas from Saipan back to Hawaii to be the captain for these two the next time they go to sea.

Rimas would like that, and these gals are dumb but nobody is that dumb.

10 hours ago, IStream said:

The story says their "mast broke" but the pictures show it perfectly intact. 

Maybe in the modern world of LGBT acceptance one of them had their waters break, but they were not the party wearing the push up bra..the baby stay on the rig then broke ..and then they both got all confused about the breakage department??? 

Drifting aimlessly over long periods is without any argument very dangerous and must be discouraged if not banned at a international level. Have you ever heard of 2 lesbians out of Nth Korea go drifting for fucks sake. Wise up America.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

They were sniffing seaweed and left some..this story goes from bad to worse.

They’d smoked all the banana skins after week 4.

There was a bit of bad weather in the last week in that stretch of ocean. The residual swell can be seen in the video.

I reckon they got a hiding before the rescue.

• Like 1

With a rig that looks intact my guess is they skied the main halyard. So go up and get it when the weather is better. They still seem to have a headsail on a furler. I don't get it.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

With a rig that looks intact my guess is they skied the main halyard. So go up and get it when the weather is better. They still seem to have a headsail on a furler. I don't get it.

The damn thing has mast steps, fercrissake!

5 hours ago, mrming said:

Why is there a line of seaweed half way up the side of the hull?

Port tack a very long time. You do see this on boats that just finish an ocean passage - but never this extreme. I hate to pre-judge so maybe they were just "idiots"

Oh, that is painful to watch. 

Two things immediately jump out:

- 1 day out of Hawaii run into "Force 11 winds that last for 2 days" (uh anybody in Hawaii remember a hurricane in May?)

- at one point they were in a "A 10 knot current" and going the wrong way. 

For those who didn't watch the video the bolt holding a spreader at the root bent. So of course you couldn't fix it and thus couldn't use the mast. Now, I'd believe that it might be hard to find say a 2" long bolt x 3/8" - but I bet I could have found one on that boat somewhere - even if I had to disassemble something!

They also said they couldn't fix it at sea and were heading to some island to fix it. Maybe they thought the motion would be too hard. 

But yes, they are fuckwits.

• Like 1

Hull underwater is clean as a whistle.

Maybe the circling sharks rubbed it clean.

Anybody ask them what sort of anti foul they used as it must be pretty farkin good to look like that after 5 months of wallowing around.

22 hours ago, hdra said:

Crossing the streams of willful ignorance might be amusing but I said in the SA thread that what we need to do is get them a Delorme and alert Jean that they're going to need a boat.

you know maybe they were being careful about the mast spreader bolt.  Maybe too careful or scared that they would fall off while up there.   

They seemed to know where they were so Navigation was working.  - 

glad they made it.

Saw then interviewed on the tube - they looked remarkably well fed and generally showed no signs of having gone through a major ordeal. Also, why was the bottom growth 1/2 way up the port side of the hull?

Whole story seems fishy.

Did they pull the plug on the boat before they abandoned it?

19 hours ago, IStream said:

The damn thing has mast steps, fercrissake!

Well, while they were out there they were too busy being spiritual to realize such mundane practical details - "connecting with the kama'aina," as they put it.

Yeah, I had to look it up (I guessed at the spelling, but had a basic idea, being a tiny bit familiar with the Hawaiian language).

The "connecting with the kama'aina" part is toward the end here (public press conference).  It's painful to listen to, but very, um, 'enlightening'', but not in a spiritual way :-)

27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Saw then interviewed on the tube - they looked remarkably well fed and generally showed no signs of having gone through a major ordeal. Also, why was the bottom growth 1/2 way up the port side of the hull?

Whole story seems fishy.

No, they did not pull the plug, as they hope their home comes back to them.  Somehow.  Non-Blonde said they left 'the bilge' on.  Which is good 'cause the hull and keel are on the other side of 'the bilge'.

If you have a mast problem at the spreader, you can still fly the main with the deepest reef, at least on one tack. There is a big difference between sailing slowly and not sailing at all.

18 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

If you have a mast problem at the spreader, you can still fly the main with the deepest reef, at least on one tack. There is a big difference between sailing slowly and not sailing at all.

One would think after several months "lost at sea," ya might try some different things.

from another website, sorry can't credit the original author, don't know who it is - 

She was known as crazy Jen in our marina in Hawaii. Knowing her she planned this as a stunt. Her last one was beaching her boat off Waikiki to meet firemen. She is clueless, but even she would be able to rig a basic sail. She stated that the mast wasn’t working. ???? This story isn’t surprising at all. I’m amazed she was wearing clothes at all. They probably had to reshoot the “rescue”

Also from the interview with the two ladies - 

One night a group of seven sharks, including five adults measuring 20 to 30 feet in length along with two young sharks, slapped their tails on the hull repeatedly.

Appel speculated that the adult sharks were teaching the young sharks how to attack.

When their fantasy world meets reality ...

2 hours ago, robert644 said:

from another website, sorry can't credit the original author, don't know who it is - 

Also from the interview with the two ladies - 

When their fantasy world meets reality ...

LOL, odds are I was drinking rum last night with whomever provided that first quote.  But I have no idea which one!

When I first opened the story and scrolled to the first photo I thought WTF?  I have never seen any image of anyone who has been onboard a small boat for anywhere near that long that still has that much body fat.  They either looked like sumo wrestlers when they started or this story is total BS. The both look like they just left an all you can eat buffet.

• Like 1

Hardly a wonder they missed the island they were aiming for, they forgot to put any windows in when they were finishing the piece of shit.  Must have gone straight by while they were sat at the salon table smoking and working out how to get that shit to grow up the side of the boat.  Lucky not to hit it.

On 29/10/2017 at 2:08 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Well, while they were out there they were too busy being spiritual to realize such mundane practical details - "connecting with the kama'aina," as they put it.

Yeah, I had to look it up (I guessed at the spelling, but had a basic idea, being a tiny bit familiar with the Hawaiian language).

The "connecting with the kama'aina" part is toward the end here (public press conference).  It's painful to listen to, but very, um, 'enlightening'', but not in a spiritual way :-)

After watching about 10 mins of that I have a question for him. If he is such a fucking expert on ocean sailing how come he doesn't know how to pole out a headsail correctly? What a fuckwit. He is using these two clowns  to get hits on his YouTube channel. 

On 29/10/2017 at 1:52 AM, SloopJonB said:

Whole story seems fishy.

They would have started eating the weed but they had plenty of carpet to munch on.

Linus had a YouTube sailin channnel that was getting a few hundred views per post. He took a different tack and started posting gems like "How to make $ on Patreon like Sailing La Vagabone and SV Delos. Tips, tricks and advice"  Its painful to watch. 

His MO now is to drop the names of other popular Sailing channels and report their goings on.

I had to ask the question, if the port spreader bolt sheared, I'd think I could make it to land on a Starboard tack and dead reckoning without much fuss. The lack of Sat Phone, Delorme, Epirb, SSB, or any other means of communication is telling. 

5 minutes ago, Zeke69 said:

I had to ask the question, if the port spreader bolt sheared, I'd think I could make it to land on a Starboard tack and dead reckoning without much fuss. The lack of Sat Phone, Delorme, Epirb, SSB, or any other means of communication is telling. 

They now claim to have sat phone, ham radio, and FCC seems to think they had epirb.

But they also had mast steps.  Supposedly these clueless people actually noticed the bolt fail over a period of days.  No, even if they had the situational awareness to notice that (no friggin’ way), they could easily have repaired it.

Their rig and all rigging looked perfect from the videos.

But even if their lies are true, yes, you are right.  People have jury rigged after dismasting and done far better with far less.

This whole thing is so bogus it's embarrassing. All the world news networks are eating it up, and it's pure unmitigated bullshit. All we need now is for Trump to give them the Bluewater Mariner Medal of Honor. It fits right in with his program. 

Ja, is it too much to ask that somewhere three be a reporter working on these stories with even a little knowledge of sailing, enough to ask questions about the parts of their story (most of it) that just don't make sense? The whole thing reeks of an obviously staged stunt, and the credulity with which it's getting repeated is embarrassing. 

She said "After surviving 5 months at sea without even enough water to wash ourselves, these accusations that we are lesbians has left us with a nasty taste in our mouths."

14 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

She said "After surviving 5 months at sea without even enough water to wash ourselves, these accusations that we are lesbians has left us with a nasty taste in our mouths."

Something smells fishy to me ...

On 10/28/2017 at 7:04 AM, Zonker said:

Port tack a very long time. You do see this on boats that just finish an ocean passage - but never this extreme. I hate to pre-judge so maybe they were just "idiots"

That high on the hull made me think they were rolling a LOT without a sail up out there.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

That high on the hull made me think they were rolling a LOT without a sail up out there.

Absolutely spotless bottom paint after 5 months?

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

Absolutely spotless bottom paint after 5 months?

That I didn't see. But we had weird shit growing above the waterline on our boat after 16 days across the Pacific.

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

That I didn't see. But we had weird shit growing above the waterline on our boat after 16 days across the Pacific.

I can understand grown on topsides that are untreated appearing before growth on anti-fouling paint.

16 days for topsides?  Makes sense.  No growth on fresh bottom paint in 16 days?  Also makes sense.

I call bs on five months without a bottom scrubbing.  But where?  When?  By whom?

It almost looks like the boat was low on her lines and towed to give that scunge line. Dumb enough to mule drugs towards Asia?

IMG_1056.JP2

FMD

Jennifer Appel is an American Entrepreneur in Sustainable agriculture known for being rescued after being stuck in the Pacific Ocean for nearly 5 months with her friend, Tasha Fuiava. [1]

Biography

Jennifer Appel - Finished Biological Compost for Vegetation Establishment.
Youtube Video

Born in the state of Texas, Jennifer has lived in the state for many years. [2] She became an entrepreneur in the Agricultural industry later in life where she worked in cities such as Houston and Corpus Christi[3][4]Since she was a little girl, she has had an interest in sailing and going out into the sea in areas such as Galveston[5]She has lived in the city of Honolulu, Hawaii where she also works in vegetation and sustainable agriculture. [6]

21 minutes ago, HFC Hunter said:

It almost looks like the boat was low on her lines and towed to give that scunge line. Dumb enough to mule drugs towards Asia?

IMG_1056.JP2

It does look at bit that way in the blown up pic doesn't it?

If they were being towed fast enough to make the pattern at the stern it would have been exciting to say the least. It would also explain the clean bottom if that's ablative paint.

5 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Something smells fishy to me ...

Just happened to see this headline this morning, "Experts Cast Doubt on Survivors' Story".  WTF, is there an expert somewhere here on SA? :-)

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5033909/amp/Lost-sailors-did-not-activate-emergency-beacon.html

Story: "Questions have been raised over the story of two Hawaii women who say they were lost at sea for six months  - after it emerged they never activated their emergency beacon , sailed past an inhabited island and were caught in a seemingly non-existent storm."

"Key elements of the women's account are contradicted by authorities, and are not consistent with weather reports or basic geography of the Pacific Ocean. The discrepancies raised questions about whether Appel and her sailing companion, Tasha Fuiava, could have avoided disaster."

After leaving 'we got into a Force 11 storm, and it lasted for two nights and three days,' Appel said of the storm they encountered off Oahu. In one of the first signs of trouble, she said she lost her cellphone overboard.

But the National Weather Service in Honolulu said no organized storm systems were in or near Hawaii on May 3 or in the days afterward. Archived NASA satellite images confirm there were no tropical storms around Hawaii that day.

'I had no idea that we were going to be in this thing for 80 solid hours,' Appel said of the storm of which there is no record.

"A retired Coast Guard officer who was responsible for search and rescue operations said that if the women used the emergency beacon, they would have been found."

'There's something wrong there,' Johnson said. 'I've never heard of all that stuff going out at the same time.'    

Expert opinions aside, a good opportunity for a book deal and Ellen/Oprah visits...

Photo caption:

A May 3, 2017 satellite image provided by NASA, showing the Pacific Ocean around Hawaii. The women claim they encountered a massive storm that day, but the National Weather Service says there were no organized storm systems were in the area at the time

IMG_5216.JPG

56 minutes ago, Whisper said:

She added 6 tons of glass and extended her keel to 8.5’???

Highly questionable. Very doubtfull she had the skills. Boat would float 10" deeper, leaving it with marginal freeboard. And I think materials cost of 6 tons of glass and resin would be $30-40,000.  Plus, adding that much weight and draft, they'd be up-sizing the rigging, not down-sizing as she claims the rigger did. Blondie is a serial bullshit artist.

Don't forget, it was Force 11 fiberglass. Totally different from regular fiberglass. 

1 hour ago, Alan H said:

"six tons of fiberglass". Bullshit. .... or "hyperbole".

She did this keel modification  in what yard?  We have two.  Anyone see her doing this work?  It would have taken weeks,  even if it's possible at all. And what rigger downsized her standing rigging?  We have one sailboat rigger on the island; I can guarantee he didn't do it as he is very professional and likes to be paid (with money) for his work.  We do have a few competent FEMALE general, all-purpose boat fixers, one of whom has a lot of sea miles as a delivery crew and skipper. I can't see any of them being involved with this project. They liked to get paid, too. What electrician helped her out?  We have exactly zero working recreational marine electricians- other than one retired guy who works on the bro schedule. There are some who service commercial vessels but recreational boats can NEVER get one of those guys to come out.  

26 minutes ago, Hawaiidart said:

She did this keel modification  in what yard?  We have two.  Anyone see her doing this work?  It would have taken weeks,  even if it's possible at all. And what rigger downsized her standing rigging?  We have one sailboat rigger on the island; I can guarantee he didn't do it as he is very professional and likes to be paid (with money) for his work.  We do have a few competent FEMALE general, all-purpose boat fixers, one of whom has a lot of sea miles as a delivery crew and skipper. I can't see any of them being involved with this project. They liked to get paid, too. What electrician helped her out?  We have exactly zero working recreational marine electricians- other than one retired guy who works on the bro schedule. There are some who service commercial vessels but recreational boats can NEVER get one of those guys to come out.  

Did they just gloop the glass all over the hull to make it stronger? This makes no sense.

• Downvote 1

I  have gotten sick of seeing this on all the news outlets and wrote to snopes with hard information on about 5 major holes in the story.  I also referred snopes.com to SA, and this discussion.

• Like 1

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/FrenchPolynesia?rc=Formalities#Pets

From Noonsite:

Pets

Animals are not allowed to land until the end of a 6-month quarantine (time at sea counts) and have been inspected by the official vet. See the permission form here.

Several certificates (or certified copies) are also needed:-

A departure document showing it is more than 6 months since leaving a country infected with rabies (i,e, both North and South America)

A certificate of rabies vaccination done within the last year).

The animal must have an official tattoo or micro-chip,

Dogs which have been in a country infected by the leishmania disease during the last six months must have an indirect fluorescent antibody test or an ELISA test to detect antibodies against Leishmania sp. with a negative result, or be correctly vaccinated against leishmania disease and have undergone a serological test showing the difference between vaccine antibodies and infection antibodies with a negative result for the infection.

In the 30 days prior to landing, two treatments against internal parasites and especially against Echinococcus sp must have been administered. (you can get Drontal or Drontic by mail from Papeete.

Acopy of your exit stamps from the last country where the animal was allowed ashore.

Your entry stamp into French Polynesia.

If an animal is landed without authorisation it may be destroyed.

See the official website for full details.

Papeete is the only place in FP where a vet is available. Email sdr.qaav@rural.gov.pf for the current procedure or Tel.689 40 42 35 18 or 40 42 35 57  or fax: 689 40 42 35 52 .

Last updated July 2016

Anyone think they'd done all this to get those dogs in?

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/FrenchPolynesia?rc=Formalities#Pets

From Noonsite:

Pets

Animals are not allowed to land until the end of a 6-month quarantine (time at sea counts) and have been inspected by the official vet. See the permission form here.

Several certificates (or certified copies) are also needed:-

A departure document showing it is more than 6 months since leaving a country infected with rabies (i,e, both North and South America)

A certificate of rabies vaccination done within the last year).

The animal must have an official tattoo or micro-chip,

Dogs which have been in a country infected by the leishmania disease during the last six months must have an indirect fluorescent antibody test or an ELISA test to detect antibodies against Leishmania sp. with a negative result, or be correctly vaccinated against leishmania disease and have undergone a serological test showing the difference between vaccine antibodies and infection antibodies with a negative result for the infection.

In the 30 days prior to landing, two treatments against internal parasites and especially against Echinococcus sp must have been administered. (you can get Drontal or Drontic by mail from Papeete.

Acopy of your exit stamps from the last country where the animal was allowed ashore.

Your entry stamp into French Polynesia.

If an animal is landed without authorisation it may be destroyed.

See the official website for full details.

Papeete is the only place in FP where a vet is available. Email sdr.qaav@rural.gov.pf for the current procedure or Tel.689 40 42 35 18 or 40 42 35 57  or fax: 689 40 42 35 52 .

Last updated July 2016

Anyone think they'd done all this to get those dogs in?

I researched the rules, the vaccines, the titers, the quarantine, the animal import permit, etc.  I know from experience that’s about $1000 per pet, or more.  Plus quarantine time.

It’s possible.  But probable?

6 hours ago, Whisper said:

I researched the rules, the vaccines, the titers, the quarantine, the animal import permit, etc.  I know from experience that’s about $1000 per pet, or more.  Plus quarantine time.

It’s possible.  But probable?

No one meets someone and two weeks later says "hey, let's take the two dogs to French Polynesia" if they were in any way responsible. Two minutes on Noonsite will tell you that you need to do a LOT of pre-work to get Spot and Fido ready to go in without getting quarantined for months or worse.

• Downvote 1

^^ Seems fuckin kooky people that write books follow people who write about fuckin kooky people. This comment was made about the above article.

Rob Fridjhon says: I really enjoyed that read. If you wrote books I’d definitely read one. (I’m a published author, I wrote Caterpillar Seas, a memoir about the time (I was twenty-one) I stole a yacht in Hawaii and sailed it to Fiji. If I could I’d send you a Kindle edition)

I'm afraid to Google the fuckwit. Wish Branson would get his trips to outer space sorted. The fuel payload and sandwich expenses for the trip back to earth could be substantially reduced by giving these people one way tickets.

44 minutes ago, Hovertank said:

This post points out a great deal of what doesn't add up with this story:

https://unreasonablydangerousonionrings.com/2017/10/31/19-reasons-this-survival-story-smells-fishy/

Holy Crap! Costco sells a years worth of food on a pallet?  Not only that, but four different brands.  36,000 servings for $6k.  Seventeen cents a meal.  I probably would have seriously considered that in grad skool.  Probably not much worse than what I did eat.  (Remember those "generic" brand foods with the white labels? The mac & cheese was fifteen cents, IIRC.)  

So, at least I got something interesting out of this story.  The internet seems to keep shoving it in my face all day.  

21 minutes ago, toddster said:

Holy Crap! Costco sells a years worth of food on a pallet?  Not only that, but four different brands.  36,000 servings for $6k.  Seventeen cents a meal.  I probably would have seriously considered that in grad skool.  Probably not much worse than what I did eat.  (Remember those "generic" brand foods with the white labels? The mac & cheese was fifteen cents, IIRC.)  

So, at least I got something interesting out of this story.  The internet seems to keep shoving it in my face all day.  

I too am gobsmacked.  15 years ago I got the Heebie-jeebies about our economy and bought a 30 day 2 person supply of Mountain House freeze-dried meals, presently in nitrogen filled paint cans in a storage locker.  I *way overpaid* the retail prices at a local backpacking store.  Next apocalypse I'm going to the bulk distributors.

1 hour ago, Hovertank said:

This post points out a great deal of what doesn't add up with this story:

https://unreasonablydangerousonionrings.com/2017/10/31/19-reasons-this-survival-story-smells-fishy/

But he missed out on the excuse they couldn’t use their engine, the ignition was flooded.

A 55’ boat with a petrol engine? 

9 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

But he missed out on the excuse they couldn’t use their engine, the ignition was flooded.

A 55’ boat with a petrol engine? 

I heard it was their starter, not that it makes much difference. I'm surprised they didn't mention the flat tire they got a week out of Hawaii.

All that's missing from their story is rogue waves and killer freighters. Probably saving it for the book.

8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I heard it was their starter, not that it makes much difference. I'm surprised they didn't mention the flat tire they got a week out of Hawaii.

In the article he quotes them saying the ignition flooded as well.

Edited by olaf hart