• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
nacradriver

Community Reputation Points

Recommended Posts

You could at least show a little appreciation for what we all did for you.

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2017 at 4:41 AM, LB 15 said:

Mike -116? FMD! And who the fuck is this somebody cunt????????

i am  back to +1 for fucks sake. Everybody go fuck yourselves.

Man, you are so shitty at this, an embarrassment to gentlemen everywhere, you're already up to plus 70-some points. People seem to like your posts, to your chagrin and to your folly. 

Now you have to do anything gloriously asshatted to kill that 70 and just get to a functional zero so that you can build your legacy.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not one to name names but the 74 yr old female attention seeker using the term "fuck buddies" kinda creeps me out. A 74yr old fuck buddy? She must have lower standards than I do.

Ewwee

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BigUnot said:

Lawdy! You guys are just so clever! 

Just a shame our latest misandrist wasn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Captain Gigi said:

Signing off for the night, boyz. The ballgame is now really interesting, unlike the latest comments on this thread. Aloha! —Captain Gigi, Astros Fan

#74andawesome Captain Gigi | © Gloria Rhea “Captain Gigi” Grante Design.png

17 hours ago, Captain Gigi said:

 

 

image.png.a3839f376a6dcfb6b74f0e1417e8fc51.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Captain Gigi said:

#kisskiss  —Captain Gigi

Look, you blew me off but I still care about you.  Please seek professional help, I am afraid your a delusional, paranoid , and a few other things.  I am concerned.

By the way, you can just call me Pepe, my love, as in Pepe le Pew.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF... I went from -24 to -19.... "this had better stop or if I have to stop this car I swear...."

So it looks like Captn Gigi is the points leader in this race to the cellar....  what's a guy got to do around here to get some loser love?

 

 

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thast howe i frrlle

It's OK Snaggs.. there is a compound for whatever ails ya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Captain Gigi said:

Go figure, huh. A #kisskiss doesn't rate a Like or DownVote icon? But I tested a post made by @LB 15, posting it exactly as his. Nada, when I posted it, but the fuckwit got a Like icon only, and included in his Top Whiner content.

Good morning petal, how is the head this morning? I see you are your usual little ray of sunshine today. What exactly are you ranting about? If you want to discuss your conspiracy theory then PM randumb, (you know how that PM thing works don't you sweetie?) :)

You see your rating is so low because no one likes you. Get it? there is no conspiracy, no collusion, just everyone coming to the same conclusion independently. Miserable, winging, paranoid old fuckwits like you are, oddly enough, despised, not liked. So why don't you do yourself and everyone else a favor and fuck off somewhere else.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Captain Gigi said:

Here's another loser hack. Believes everything he reads on a hacker site. #StupidFuck

I don't think you fooled anyone with your Lawyer bullshit cupcake.

Oh and please don't show us your tits. Thanks.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Captain Gigi said:

There you go again, @LB 15, mansplaining what I should be doing/writing on SA. And it's spelled whining, not winging. Miserable? Not. Paranoid? Not. Old? Definitely. Fuckwit? Not. Just sayin'.

Just to bring you up to speed (it is 2017, after all), people don't come to hacker sites to be liked.

And we all know that anytime soon, the algos will assign my posts some nebulous, arbitrary status, and I will be gone from here, BANNED. Be patient. All good things in their own good time, boy.

Can we quote you on that?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK...now that I've got a little more time and am in front of my keyboard instead of on the shitter making typos with my phone, I'll fill you all in on what I know.

Back in 2010 (you can check the dates from the "daily winners" on the leaderboard) we decided to enable the Rating system. You can customize the labels for whatever point levels you want, so we had a little infantile fun with them because why not? 99% of the forums is infantile fun, anbd the labels all made some play on the regular jargon of insults we were bandying around.

A miscalculation was made, however. We did not limit the amount of feedback that a poster is allowed to give in a day.  You could upvote/downvote as many posts as you wanted without limit. In a development that should have surprised no one but did anyway, people took to abusing the crap out of the system to drive ratings down to see what the labels did. After about two weeks of this nonsense, we turned it off. A couple of our members whose sock-drawers are stuffed to capacity even took it upon themselves to upvote their public accounts - again, see the all-time Leaderboard if you want to see who spent a day or two wanking themselves dry with their own socks.

The other day Scot turned it back on. I asked him about it when it was brought to my attention. He didn't remember the problem we had last time, and as you can see from this thread the same thing started happening again. I told him that you could limit the number of votes that can be applied daily by users and that limiting the number of votes/day would rein in the insanity. So that's what I *think* he did, though I can't say for sure.

Gigi's comments about hacking and her posts being treated specially are sheer idiocy. For reasons which should be obvious to anyone with an IQ in the double digits, you can't upvote your own content. The site is fine, it's not hacked, it's not filtering options for women. Quit being stupid.

But for now it looks like the system is in place, but you now have a limited number of votes per day. I don't know any details beyond that, I had nothing to do with this recetn change beyond discussing it with Scot and telling him how we might avoid the bullshit that happened last time.

-------------------------------

Several times I've proposed that the content rating system be used to control socks and spammers. The method would be easy. Right now, when you register you are automatically in the group "Member" with full privileges. If you changed that to put all new accounts into a "Probationary" or "New Member" group, you could restrict the rights of that group. Limit new thread creation, increase flood control, and maybe even hide some of the most sock-infested subs from view (PA and AC come to mind). That way brand new accounts couldn't create spam threads OR show up to sock in other forums until they'd actually participated in the forums and gotten a few posts liked by actually not being idiots for a couple of days.

The BBS could automatically promote you to full Member status once you got a certain ranking. It's a one-time thing; e.g. when you hit +5 or +10 you become a full Member forever, no matter what happens after that. If you get voted down to negative it wouldn't reverse. You can set the bar low enough so it won't drive people away, but also keep it high enough so you can't sock your way into a full account too easily.

I've also proposed that there be certain automatic bonus granted to reward long-term, active posters through the same auto-promotion scheme. Accounts could be upgraded with more PM storage or shorter flood control times for searches. It would be easy to auto-promote someone with an arbitrary number of posts to a new group with an unlimited PM inbox, or one that allows 1,000 messages instead of the small number we allot today. Seems like a nice way to reward the active community members.

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Captain Gigi said:

Changing the topic slightly... Anybody know what a chess hacker does? Bing it; it will help you get your acts together a little more smartly.

A chest hacker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Gigi said:

Look at how many Likes and DownVotes my posts have received, and then look at the Reputation Score. There's no correlation.

My posts (as well as many other Users' posts) never receive a Like icon, only a DownVote icon, ergo, no one has the opportunity to Like anything I or anyone else says. The Sailing Anarchy website was hacked almost as soon as the Leaderboard went up, but that's no surprise to you, is it, fuck buddies?

Think about why the owner and webmaster put up the Leaderboard with it's changing-on-the-fly, arbitrary algorithms. It was to keep you up on the site as long as possible. Why? You'll eventually figure it out; talk amongst yourselves.

See how long SA will exist, as the advertisers back off. They don't need hacks destroying their businesses. Crowdfunding/sourcing to save SA? Not bloody likely.

The Trump trolls laugh; they own Sailing Anarchy.

This is a doomed website, sailing anarchy notwithstanding. 

Btw, congrats to the fuckwits who tried to digitally gang rape an old, Jewish woman, who also happens to be a White Hat, last night. She was only one woman, while there were dozens of you. Ya gotta be high-fivin' it today, so pleased with yourselves, huh?

—Captain Gigi, "You Gotta Tell 'Em Department," 10.30.2017 1525PST

Do the math.  © Sony Xperia Z2.jpg

The SA Community's reputation is just a jumbled mess of ones and zeroes fuckwits and fuck buddies are fighting over. The SA website is hacked, and all personal info compromised. —Captain Gigi,''Gotta Tell 'Em Department''.jpg

If I keep pushing the down vote until you hit 200, will you explode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mad said:

If I keep pushing the down vote until you hit 200, will you explode?

Were there.Must be a conspiracy.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Were there.Must be a conspiracy.

I'm doing my best to swing the results here. 

I've got Bannon, Assange, Farage and a couple of Ukrainian guys interested in the results of my hacking work here. 

Just don't let Gigi know how it works! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

OK...now that I've got a little more time and am in front of my keyboard instead of on the shitter making typos with my phone, I'll fill you all in on what I know.

Back in 2010 (you can check the dates from the "daily winners" on the leaderboard) we decided to enable the Rating system. You can customize the labels for whatever point levels you want, so we had a little infantile fun with them because why not? 99% of the forums is infantile fun, anbd the labels all made some play on the regular jargon of insults we were bandying around.

A miscalculation was made, however. We did not limit the amount of feedback that a poster is allowed to give in a day.  You could upvote/downvote as many posts as you wanted without limit. In a development that should have surprised no one but did anyway, people took to abusing the crap out of the system to drive ratings down to see what the labels did. After about two weeks of this nonsense, we turned it off. A couple of our members whose sock-drawers are stuffed to capacity even took it upon themselves to upvote their public accounts - again, see the all-time Leaderboard if you want to see who spent a day or two wanking themselves dry with their own socks.

The other day Scot turned it back on. I asked him about it when it was brought to my attention. He didn't remember the problem we had last time, and as you can see from this thread the same thing started happening again. I told him that you could limit the number of votes that can be applied daily by users and that limiting the number of votes/day would rein in the insanity. So that's what I *think* he did, though I can't say for sure.

Gigi's comments about hacking and her posts being treated specially are sheer idiocy. For reasons which should be obvious to anyone with an IQ in the double digits, you can't upvote your own content. The site is fine, it's not hacked, it's not filtering options for women. Quit being stupid.

But for now it looks like the system is in place, but you now have a limited number of votes per day. I don't know any details beyond that, I had nothing to do with this recetn change beyond discussing it with Scot and telling him how we might avoid the bullshit that happened last time.

-------------------------------

Several times I've proposed that the content rating system be used to control socks and spammers. The method would be easy. Right now, when you register you are automatically in the group "Member" with full privileges. If you changed that to put all new accounts into a "Probationary" or "New Member" group, you could restrict the rights of that group. Limit new thread creation, increase flood control, and maybe even hide some of the most sock-infested subs from view (PA and AC come to mind). That way brand new accounts couldn't create spam threads OR show up to sock in other forums until they'd actually participated in the forums and gotten a few posts liked by actually not being idiots for a couple of days.

The BBS could automatically promote you to full Member status once you got a certain ranking. It's a one-time thing; e.g. when you hit +5 or +10 you become a full Member forever, no matter what happens after that. If you get voted down to negative it wouldn't reverse. You can set the bar low enough so it won't drive people away, but also keep it high enough so you can't sock your way into a full account too easily.

I've also proposed that there be certain automatic bonus granted to reward long-term, active posters through the same auto-promotion scheme. Accounts could be upgraded with more PM storage or shorter flood control times for searches. It would be easy to auto-promote someone with an arbitrary number of posts to a new group with an unlimited PM inbox, or one that allows 1,000 messages instead of the small number we allot today. Seems like a nice way to reward the active community members.

Or hookers and blow. But either way should our stupidity of wasting more time on here than others be rewarded? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

 

Several times I've proposed that the content rating system be used to control socks and spammers. The method would be easy. Right now, when you register you are automatically in the group "Member" with full privileges. If you changed that to put all new accounts into a "Probationary" or "New Member" group, you could restrict the rights of that group. Limit new thread creation, increase flood control, and maybe even hide some of the most sock-infested subs from view (PA and AC come to mind). That way brand new accounts couldn't create spam threads OR show up to sock in other forums until they'd actually participated in the forums and gotten a few posts liked by actually not being idiots for a couple of days.

The BBS could automatically promote you to full Member status once you got a certain ranking. It's a one-time thing; e.g. when you hit +5 or +10 you become a full Member forever, no matter what happens after that. If you get voted down to negative it wouldn't reverse. You can set the bar low enough so it won't drive people away, but also keep it high enough so you can't sock your way into a full account too easily.

I've also proposed that there be certain automatic bonus granted to reward long-term, active posters through the same auto-promotion scheme. Accounts could be upgraded with more PM storage or shorter flood control times for searches. It would be easy to auto-promote someone with an arbitrary number of posts to a new group with an unlimited PM inbox, or one that allows 1,000 messages instead of the small number we allot today. Seems like a nice way to reward the active community members.

This is a good practice. It is how a couple other BBS I frequent (one for the breed of my dog, and another two for woodworking/power tool enthusiasts) handle the issues you mentioned. Hopefully the Mods will consider your suggestions. They have my vote.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Point Break said:
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

 

Several times I've proposed that the content rating system be used to control socks and spammers. The method would be easy. Right now, when you register you are automatically in the group "Member" with full privileges. If you changed that to put all new accounts into a "Probationary" or "New Member" group, you could restrict the rights of that group. Limit new thread creation, increase flood control, and maybe even hide some of the most sock-infested subs from view (PA and AC come to mind). That way brand new accounts couldn't create spam threads OR show up to sock in other forums until they'd actually participated in the forums and gotten a few posts liked by actually not being idiots for a couple of days.

The BBS could automatically promote you to full Member status once you got a certain ranking. It's a one-time thing; e.g. when you hit +5 or +10 you become a full Member forever, no matter what happens after that. If you get voted down to negative it wouldn't reverse. You can set the bar low enough so it won't drive people away, but also keep it high enough so you can't sock your way into a full account too easily.

I've also proposed that there be certain automatic bonus granted to reward long-term, active posters through the same auto-promotion scheme. Accounts could be upgraded with more PM storage or shorter flood control times for searches. It would be easy to auto-promote someone with an arbitrary number of posts to a new group with an unlimited PM inbox, or one that allows 1,000 messages instead of the small number we allot today. Seems like a nice way to reward the active community members.

This is a good practice. It is how a couple other BBS I frequent (one for the breed of my dog, and another two for woodworking/power tool enthusiasts) handle the issues you mentioned. Hopefully the Mods will consider your suggestions. They have my vote.

Agreed, but I don't see it happening right now.

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Or hookers and blow. But either way should our stupidity of wasting more time on here than others be rewarded? 

Well because your eyeballs are here instead of on Youporn, Redtube, or parishilton.com.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...I think Da-Woody's sock brigade is running around downvoting all my posts. I thought I cleaned most of that shit up before I quit.

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Point Break said:

This is a good practice. It is how a couple other BBS I frequent (one for the breed of my dog, and another two for woodworking/power tool enthusiasts) handle the issues you mentioned. Hopefully the Mods will consider your suggestions. They have my vote.

Do things get a bit heated on the power tool boards PB?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Do things get a bit heated on the power tool boards PB?

Oh my, you have no idea.....Festool versus Dewalt, biscuit joiners versus domino versus dowels, saw stop.........it’s chaos......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Oh my, you have no idea.....Festool versus Dewalt, biscuit joiners versus domino versus dowels, saw stop.........it’s chaos......

Do you have an opinion about Sawstop? I meet so many people who can't say enough bad about it. I've heard it works though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Do things get a bit heated on the power tool boards PB?

You mess with the wrong guy on those power tool boards and you are screwed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Hmmm...I think Da-Woody's sock brigade is running around downvoting all my posts. I thought I cleaned most of that shit up before I quit.

I'm such an idiot. I never thought that DW had his shit together enough to keep more than one identity going. That explains a lot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'm such an idiot. I never thought that DW had his shit together enough to keep more than one identity going. That explains a lot.

I only have 1 sock cleverly disguised so BJ can never tell

it's only purpose is to fuck w everyone and ding BJ's likes

it's so well cloaked I'll even tell you the account name =  Captain Gigi

sure hope they don't flick my 1 sock that everyone Loves ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mad said:

I'm doing my best to swing the results here. 

I've got Bannon, Assange, Farage and a couple of Ukrainian guys interested in the results of my hacking work here. 

Just don't let Gigi know how it works! 

Jfc . . . It's come to that ?

Ok, I guess I'll have to notify the Latvians.

But I'm telling you right now, they're not gonna be very happy with that woman. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

I only have 1 sock cleverly disguised so BJ can never tell

it's only purpose is to fuck w everyone and ding BJ's likes

it's so well cloaked I'll even tell you the account name =  Captain Gigi

sure hope they don't flick my 1 sock that everyone Loves ;) 

Bwahahahahahaha 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chinabald said:

You mess with the wrong guy on those power tool boards and you are screwed. 

I sawed what you did there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Point Break said:

Oh my, you have no idea.....Festool versus Dewalt, biscuit joiners versus domino versus dowels, saw stop.........it’s chaos......

No competition, Festool all the way. 

Dewalt is cheap plastic crap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mad said:

No competition, Festool all the way. 

Dewalt is cheap plastic crap. 

For now. When I was little, my dad had Black and Decker tools that were of good quality. Now I have a good, old Dewalt drill. When Festool has an end cap at Home Despot, people will recall the good ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a big fan of DeWalt.  They are reasonably priced, well built, balanced and comfortable in the hand (for the hand tools), and the batteries have a long life and the 18 volt models are plenty powerful.  Most importantly, nothing says 'professional tools' like that bold DeWalt yellow and black.  When I grab that black carrying case with the yellow logo, I can hear the collective intake of breath and the crowd muttering; "Look at that, DeWalt, this guy is a pro."

Full disclosure, I have never seen or used a Festool product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about Milwaukie stuff? Seems to me the serious guys around here are using, especially rattle guns. Sawsalls n stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, charisma94 said:

What about Milwaukie stuff? Seems to me the serious guys around here are using, especially rattle guns. Sawsalls n stuff. 

When I worked at the local GE plant, building rapid transit commuter train cars, I used a heavy duty Milwaukee drill a lot. One day I was drilling through some heavy steel seat brackets with about a 3/8" bit and I kept breaking the bits.  The was drill clamped into a jig that attached to the steel brackets.   Finally I removed the drill from the jig and in frustration I threw the drill as hard as I could onto the floor of the train car.  Snapped the chuck clean off of the drill.  I think the shaft was close to 1/2' around.  The impact left a significant gash in the metal faced plywood floor of the train car, the guys that installed the linoleum weren't going to like that.  I took the now separated chuck with a broken bit still in it and the rest of the drill, stomped over to the tool crib and slammed the parts on the counter.  The tool crib guy looked at me, took the parts of the drill, and came back and gave me a new drill without a word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my high dollar Makita grinder tanked too early, I replaced it with a $20 Chicago from HF. Chicago aint Milwaukee but that was 10 years ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But if you got 10 yrs out of it, doesn't owe you much. Fitty bucks every 2 -3 years on a new grinder - meh. They all suck these days.

Now get off my lawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, charisma94 said:

But if you got 10 yrs out of it, doesn't owe you much. Fitty bucks every 2 -3 years on a new grinder - meh. They all suck these days.

Now get off my lawn.

Ten years so far. The Makita was over $100 back then.

And note to all: Avoid the DeWalt hand vac. Total POS. Too heavy, and without a thought to ergonomics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

When my high dollar Makita grinder tanked too early, I replaced it with a $20 Chicago from HF. Chicago aint Milwaukee but that was 10 years ago!

Their stuff is a mixed bag. I bought an angle grinder from them that shit the the bed the second time I used it, the switch was bad. I took it back, figured that their replacement would last a year tops, that was six years ago. But I don't feel dirty buying Harbor Freight stuff, they're honest that they're selling you something cheap, and they charge you for something cheap. Plus the owner seems to be an okay guy, he apparently donates a lot of tools and money to inner city school vocational programs.

The problem with high dollar tools these days is that you often have no idea what you're actually getting. My thirty year old random orbital from Porter Cable is built like a tank, as strong now as the day I bought it. But a brand new Porter Cable? It's apparently now just another brand name from the Chinese factory that makes them.

Then when you drop coin on a "Made in USA" tool like Dewalt, isn't it just filled with the same Chinese switches, brushes and capacitors as the Harbor Freight brand? I guess the QC is better, but is it 3x the price better? It seems that part of what killed the high end USA-made tools was that it eventually no longer meant anything once importers could ship in ready-made foreign-built assemblies, do final assembly here, and then the cheap tool sold for nearly the price of the quality tool, and then eventually soured everyone who used them.

I love my Snap-on tools, but it seems that "Made in USA" can't actually encompass tools any more complicated than a single piece of forged or machined tool steel. Shit, we don't even make a lot of electronic components in the USA anymore and the military industry has to source foreign-made electronics for our most mission-critical applications.

You couldn't write a novel with this much international intrigue, but the Asian and even European industries brought a bulldozer to our shovel fight, and buried us with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

I only have 1 sock cleverly disguised so BJ can never tell

it's only purpose is to fuck w everyone and ding BJ's likes

it's so well cloaked I'll even tell you the account name =  Captain Gigi

sure hope they don't flick my 1 sock that everyone Loves ;) 

Good for you woodman.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soak_ed said:

 I took the now separated chuck with a broken bit still in it and the rest of the drill, stomped over to the tool crib and slammed the parts on the counter.  The tool crib guy looked at me, took the parts of the drill, and came back and gave me a new drill without a word.

Your crib man knew Rule #644.3; Never further agitate a frustrated employee holding a broken tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soak_ed said:

When I worked at the local GE plant, building rapid transit commuter train cars, I used a heavy duty Milwaukee drill a lot. One day I was drilling through some heavy steel seat brackets with about a 3/8" bit and I kept breaking the bits.  The was drill clamped into a jig that attached to the steel brackets.   Finally I removed the drill from the jig and in frustration I threw the drill as hard as I could onto the floor of the train car.  Snapped the chuck clean off of the drill.  I think the shaft was close to 1/2' around.  The impact left a significant gash in the metal faced plywood floor of the train car, the guys that installed the linoleum weren't going to like that.  I took the now separated chuck with a broken bit still in it and the rest of the drill, stomped over to the tool crib and slammed the parts on the counter.  The tool crib guy looked at me, took the parts of the drill, and came back and gave me a new drill without a word.

You should have been given a written warning at least. If I was your line mgr, I'd have sacked you. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mad said:

No competition, Festool all the way. 

Dewalt is cheap plastic crap. 

I have LOTS of Festool, almost everything. I do have an ancient Milwaukee 3/4" impact drill that just keeps going. I use it for the nasty jobs, drilling into concrete etc. I have a Porter Cable Sawzall....meh. I have a DeWalt 10" miter saw.......its okay, probably gonna change out to the Festool Kapex soon. But my next purchase is a new table saw to replace the Delta folding contractor saw I have. I don't have room for a permanent table saw setup or I would definitely be shopping a couple different than my likely choice which is the SawStop Professional 3HP on a mobile stand. I think I can tuck it in a corner of the garage without the bigger outfeed table. I use my Festool track saw to break up sheet goods so I think I won't miss the extra outfeed. I do VERY often wish I had a big dedicated workshop instead of the garage which has to share with lots of "stuff". I'm actually thinking of renting a space for a dedicated shop but it seems extravagant for a hobby. If I could split it with a similar minded and tool caring woodworker that would be perfect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mikewof said:

Do you have an opinion about Sawstop? I meet so many people who can't say enough bad about it. I've heard it works though.

See my response just above. If I had room I'd seriously consider a different cabinet saw but the SawStop is pretty good quality. The safety mechanism has its expensive "error" moments but they can be avoided by knowing the faults and disabling the safety trigger when necessary. Then if you want to dado you need to buy and swap out to a completely different safety cartridge to accommodate the dado blade setup. Kinda a pain.....but I like the extra safety margin. You won't find many professional woodworkers/builders using it but in the low volume not hurried hobbyist market I think its a good fit. As a hobbyist, I like the process, don't mind the setup, don't care how long it takes, I'm not making money, I'm making sawdust and perhaps something pretty and useful. Big difference in tool characteristics and requirements from a guy doing the work for a living where time is money. Another point is the safety mechanism does not prevent kickback issues which is a more likely hobby or even professional injury scenario than contacting the blade. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Oh and please don't show us your tits. Thanks.

Now now LB, let's not be too hasty.

(You boys have been very busy here with Gigi, it's hard to stay current)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, soak_ed said:

I am a big fan of DeWalt.  They are reasonably priced, well built, balanced and comfortable in the hand (for the hand tools), and the batteries have a long life and the 18 volt models are plenty powerful.  Most importantly, nothing says 'professional tools' like that bold DeWalt yellow and black.  When I grab that black carrying case with the yellow logo, I can hear the collective intake of breath and the crowd muttering; "Look at that, DeWalt, this guy is a pro."

Full disclosure, I have never seen or used a Festool product.

Trust me Soaker, it's just as well - you can't afford them.

Saying Festool and DeWalt in the same breath is like saying Ferrari and Mazda in the same breath - ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chinabald said:

Plane and Simple, those guys don't joke around. 

Ahhhh - they're a bunch of tools over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chinabald said:

Plane and Simple, those guys don't joke around. 

23 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Ahhhh - they're a bunch of tools over there.

They our abbrassieve, and juste a grinde to dealle withe.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Trust me Soaker, it's just as well - you can't afford them.

Saying Festool and DeWalt in the same breath is like saying Ferrari and Mazda in the same breath - ridiculous.

Harsh, but true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see you tool guys get very passionate about your tools. I always wondered what guys do in their tool sheds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BigUnot said:

You should have been given a written warning at least. If I was your line mgr, I'd have sacked you. B)

Good luck with that.  We had a really good union, the only things the union didn't have your back for was fighting or stealing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Trust me Soaker, it's just as well - you can't afford them.

Saying Festool and DeWalt in the same breath is like saying Ferrari and Mazda in the same breath - ridiculous.

Yeah, I figured that.  I think for the serious amateur or the small pro, for the money, DeWalt is hard to beat.  I say buy the best tool you can afford, life is too short to use shitty tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the topic for a moment...

To the giant Bag-o-Dicks like Da-Woody that are stalking people to subforums they never visit just to vote them down...

The software supports a feature that allows users to see the upvotes and downvotes. So if it's enabled, when some ball-less assmonkey downvotes an innocuous post you make in reply to a question directed to you, you'll be able to see who the immature, trollish dipshit actually is. I'm going to suggest that Scot enable it, as it would cut out the stupid brigading. Of course, it will show all history... But he might not take up my suggestion.

 

  • Like 4
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Back to the topic for a moment...

To the giant Bag-o-Dicks like Da-Woody that are stalking people to subforums they never visit just to vote them down...

The software supports a feature that allows users to see the upvotes and downvotes. So if it's enabled, when some ball-less assmonkey downvotes an innocuous post you make in reply to a question directed to you, you'll be able to see who the immature, trollish dipshit actually is. I'm going to suggest that Scot enable it, as it would cut out the stupid brigading. Of course, it will show all history... But he might not take up my suggestion.

 

It doesn't seem a very popular forum "tool"....any idea why they want to enable it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Point Break said:

It doesn't seem a very popular forum "tool"....any idea why they want to enable it?

I have no idea. I'm guessing, for now, it's not being used because few people know about it or understand. I wasn't involved in the decision to switch it on, or anything beyond my original research into how it works, and how to set it up so it doesn't become an abused joke after the first time.

It was just turned on, with no fanfare or explanation. No doubt most people haven't noticed it.

But it IS a useful tool to both the community and to the Admins if used properly. If people are generally sincere in the up and down votes and not using them to settle personal grudges like SOME people I won't name again, they can over the long term help identify both helpful and troublesome users. And top-rated content will be brought to the forefront, so others may see it and be drawn to the conversation.

We've never screwed with it beyond that two-week experiment seven years ago. I really have no idea of Scot's intentions here.

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Back to the topic for a moment...

To the giant Bag-o-Dicks like Da-Woody that are stalking people to subforums they never visit just to vote them down...

The software supports a feature that allows users to see the upvotes and downvotes. So if it's enabled, when some ball-less assmonkey downvotes an innocuous post you make in reply to a question directed to you, you'll be able to see who the immature, trollish dipshit actually is. I'm going to suggest that Scot enable it, as it would cut out the stupid brigading. Of course, it will show all history... But he might not take up my suggestion

Suggiestte awaye Bigge Guye              :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most posts seem to only have an ability to Like !   Where is the downvote for someone who is presently 0?

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DtM said:

Most posts seem to only have an ability to Like !   Where is the downvote for someone who is presently 0?

HiLitte the bigge redd 'A' slide tou mouse to leftte.  Downevotte wille appearre, clicke it.              :)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thabk you.

You spelled a word right. Your'e sliping.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Back to the topic for a moment...

To the giant Bag-o-Dicks like Da-Woody that are stalking people to subforums they never visit just to vote them down...

The software supports a feature that allows users to see the upvotes and downvotes. So if it's enabled, when some ball-less assmonkey downvotes an innocuous post you make in reply to a question directed to you, you'll be able to see who the immature, trollish dipshit actually is. I'm going to suggest that Scot enable it, as it would cut out the stupid brigading. Of course, it will show all history... But he might not take up my suggestion.

 

I doubt it would cut it out. But it would add to the shitshow so I fully support the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites