Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

austin1972

Food Questions

Yep, I'm starting a food thread. What's happened to me and my sordid past???

Anyhow, I have U10 diver scallops that were frozen. I put them in the fridge yesterday but they're still frozen. How can I thaw them? I want to sear them up tonight with a side of cheesy broccoli. Yes, I can eat a pound of scallops. They're like Chinese food; never quite fills me up.

Otherwise, it's ramen noodles. Again.

Put them in a Ziploc bag and soak in water in the sink.  You can use warm water, but not hot water.  Make sure you pat them good and dry before searing...

Thanks! I don't want to mess them up. True dry packed Diver scallops aren't cheap in cornfield land.

If you've still got hours, don't even bother with the water. Just put the bag on the counter and they'll be defrosted by the time you need them.

Just cooked scallops a couple of nights ago.  Try them like this:

Put two or three tablespoons of real maple syrup and a dab of sriracha in a skillet.  Heat slowly until reduced.  Place scallops in the pan, turn up the heat a little bit until scallops are cooked to your liking.  

I served them with a side of spaghetti squash that was sauteed in butter and garlic, and some homemade felafels.

9 minutes ago, mainsheetsister said:

Just cooked scallops a couple of nights ago.  Try them like this:

Put two or three tablespoons of real maple syrup and a dab of sriracha in a skillet.  Heat slowly until reduced.  Place scallops in the pan, turn up the heat a little bit until scallops are cooked to your liking.  

I served them with a side of spaghetti squash that was sauteed in butter and garlic, and some homemade felafels.

Ooh, I can do them 2 ways! I just have bacon fat, salt and pepper right now. I will try your style with the other half. Thank you MSS. I do have maple syrup and something a little hotter than Sriracha called El Yucateco. Mmm, spicy and sweet.

I like them cooked...not a lot. 4-5 minutes maybe. Just until they're firm.

Thanks Austin for starting this thread, not a fan of scallops but learning that tip from MSS about maple syrup and sriracha sauce.....the possibilities!

(maybe a drizzle of that atop a slice of Salmon?)

One little oddity I learned about thawing in a fridge, it doesn't work worth a diddly damn in a mini fridge, when you consider the thermodynamics of that situation it kind of becomes obvious.

Diver scallops can be taken from frozen solid to just chilled in about an hour sitting in a bag on the counter. (As long as they aren't in one big lump)

You want to sear these chilled, not thoroughly room temp. Sear the outside in a little butter, or olive oil, with a squeeze of lemon at the end.

Don't use garlic, or shallots. Diver scallops are so sweet and delicious that garlic or shallots will just detract from the flavor.

I figure about 1 minute a side, and then stand them on edge and roll them just to sear the edges. I don't do raw seafood, but scallops turn to rubber if they're over cooked.

Serve with angel hair pasta with basil pesto, or just olive oil, and a nice leafy salad.

47 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Diver scallops can be taken from frozen solid to just chilled in about an hour sitting in a bag on the counter. (As long as they aren't in one big lump)

You want to sear these chilled, not thoroughly room temp. Sear the outside in a little butter, or olive oil, with a squeeze of lemon at the end.

Don't use garlic, or shallots. Diver scallops are so sweet and delicious that garlic or shallots will just detract from the flavor.

I figure about 1 minute a side, and then stand them on edge and roll them just to sear the edges. I don't do raw seafood, but scallops turn to rubber if they're over cooked.

Serve with angel hair pasta with basil pesto, or just olive oil, and a nice leafy salad.

Agreed. Sriracha and syrup sounds interesting for other things but scallops are one of those foods that shine all by themselves, just a bit of acid at most.

Someone say scallops?...quick crisp coating of panko and a squeeze of lemon juice is all these needed a couple weeks back when the state gifted us a surprise bay scallop season...

FB_IMG_1509246364973.jpg

FB_IMG_1509246381622.jpg

Both versions were good. They were super good and a fast, easy meal.

Tomorrow is chili. My favorite recipe. Crock pot chili cookoff on Tues. at work so I want it to fester for a couple of days.

– 6 ounces regular bulk breakfast sausage

– 2 teaspoons veggie oil

– 3 pounds tri-tip beef, cut into small pieces or coarse ground

– 1 medium onion, finely chopped

– 1 can (14 ½ ounces) beef broth

– ¼ teaspoon dried oregano

– 3 tablespoons ground cumin, divided

– 7 cloves garlic, chopped

– 2 tablespoons Gebhardt chili powder

– 1 tablespoon hot chili powder

– 1 tablespoon mild chili powder

– 5 tablespoons red chili powder

– 1 can (8 ounces) Hunt’s tomato sauce

– 1 can (10 ounces) Ro Tel diced tomatoes and green chilies

– 3 dried California chili peppers, boiled and pureed

– 1 dried New Mexico chili pepper, boiled and pureed

– 5 dried Cascabel chili peppers, boiled and pureed

– 1 can (14 ½ ounces) chicken broth

– 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

– ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

– 1 teaspoon brown sugar

– Juice of 1 lime

– Salt to taste

1. Brown and cook the sausage and set aside. Heat oil in a pot and brown the beef. Add the cooked sausage to the pot. Add onion and beef broth to cover the meat. Boil 15 minutes. Add oregano and half of cumin. Reduce heat to a low boil and add the garlic.

2. Combine the four chili powders. Add half of the mixture to the meat mixture and cook 15 minutes. Add tomato sauce, canned diced tomatoes and dried chili purees. Add chicken broth to the desired consistency. Cook for 1 hour, stirring often.

3. Add the remaining chili powder mixture and the remaining cumin, and simmer for another 25 minutes on low to medium heat. Turn up heat to a slow boil and add Tabasco, cayenne, brown sugar, lime juice and salt.

Just reading the contents of that recipe makes the exit port on my body burn.

:unsure:

(Doesn't the hot chili powder cancel out the mild chili powder? Or are you just trying to cover all of the bases?)

6 hours ago, hobot said:

Just reading the contents of that recipe makes the exit port on my body burn.

:unsure:

(Doesn't the hot chili powder cancel out the mild chili powder? Or are you just trying to cover all of the bases?)

Different flavor signatures which appear at different times in the tasting experience.