southerncross

VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

https://twitter.com/888markturner/status/928264783689867264

Mark Turner Retweeted Ian Walker

Agree - needs to be World Sailing Team of year at same level of importance if @WorldSailing is to cover whole sport not just dinghy sailing

Mark Turner added,

Ian Walker @ADORSkipper
Congrats @peteburling for winning the @worldsailing sailor of the year award but surely it should go to @EmiratesTeamNZ ? Time this changed

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, DtM said:

In the real world, not your strange fantasy world, the wind can be different metres apart never mind miles.  FFS, how many times do you need to be told.  do you think the wind is the same across the whole Atlantic, really?

Dead right DtM. I remember the first time I really saw & understood that. I would have been about 14 or 15 (yeah, I know bloody long time ago) on a Sherewater catamaran about 4-6 boat lengths behind an Osprey (17.5'double hander) identical courses opposite tacks both with sails filled and drawing.

No wonder our sport keeps us interested for a lifetime :-)

SS

@jack Thought you'd be asleep by now.

Conditions this year sure looked good for a Cape Verde slalom, but look like all the teams bailed on that option. Even Mark Chisholm felt it strong enough that it needed to be  refuted this (my) morning.

• Downvote 1

Stief yeah once they continued west of Maderia it became more the Verde Latitude Dash. Hope the compression ahead gives the back 3 another crack at joining in.

PS Dad's asleep holding a beer..I'm his 6 yo son Parrot. I'm the brains of the outfit.

• Like 1

From the Front Page for those who don't ever visit:  

Over There

This week is quite an amazing one for the sport of sailing. First you had the Volvo Ocean Race take off out of Lisbon in spectacular fashion. They rocketed down the Tagus River and out into a stiff northerly breeze in the Atlantic. A couple of hours into the race the boats were sustaining a steady 20+ knots of boat speed with some surfs into the low 30’s. Just terrific sailing as they make their way to Cape Town, South Africa some 7,000 nautical miles away.

Further to the north the Transat Jacques Vabre got underway an hour after the Volvo start. This is one of the most iconic French races and is held every four years. There are 38 boats competing including three Ultime trimarans each a hundred feet in length. The Transat Jacques Vabre, or TJV as it’s known, is a double-handed race that started in Le Havre, France and will end in Salvador, Brazil. The race traces the route taken by the great merchant ships of the 17th century which departed the coffee-producing countries like Brazil, and headed to Le Havre which was at the time France’s leading coffee harbor. 

The competitors in the TJV also had some brisk conditions to deal with as they took off on a close reach which soon turned into stiff headwinds. My friend Boris Herrmann aboard Malizia II reported that they were experiencing “very fast sailing, very wet, full moon and we can see the closest competitors even at night. We pass each other scary close.” The course to Brazil is 4,350 miles and Seb Josse, the skipper of the newly launched Ultime Edmond De Rothschild predicts that it will take him and his co-skipper Thomas Rouxel just eight days to get to Brazil. If that happens he will knock around two full days off the current course record.

Speaking about Ultime trimarans. On Saturday the French sailor François Gabart set off in his attempt to break the single-handed, non-stop circumnavigation record currently held by fellow French sailor Thomas Coville. The start and finish is an imaginary line between the Créac’h lighthouse on Ouessant (Ushant) Island, France, and the Lizard Lighthouse on the southwest coast of England. Gabart’s ride for the record attempt is the 30-meter trimaran Macif. 

The key to any successful record attempt is getting the weather right for the first few days. You want a slingshot ride down to the equator and if you set out and the forecast does not come through most choose to return to port and try again. Two days into this trip it looks like Gabart and his weather team have got it right. Gabart is already well over 200 miles ahead of where Coville was at the same time during his record circumnavigation. The conditions are perfect. Twelve to fifteen knots from astern. The massive trimaran is loping along at a steady 29 knots of boat speed. Fingers crossed for a safe (and fast) circumnavigation.

While all is this has been taking place let’s not forget that the Mini Transat is also underway. The fleet of 78 boats are five days into the second leg of the race from the Canary Islands to Martinique in the Caribbean. They are sailing in the exact same trade wind conditions as François Gabart on Macif. Champagne sailing it’s called but champagne or not crossing an ocean on a 21 foot boat is no easy task.

With all of this incredible sailing going on I have to ask the obvious question. How come it’s all going on “over there?” This side of the Atlantic things are all packed up for the winter. There is very little, if any, coverage of these events in the mainstream media and I guess that’s because there is very little, if any, interest from the public. Those hardened enthusiasts like myself are glued to the various race trackers and watched the Volvo Ocean Race and TJV starts streaming live so we are getting news but it’s a pity that the only bit of sailing news on TV here is about  those two lost ding dong’s and their dogs. – Brian Hancock.

• Like 1

My Dad says Brian Hancock should unhand himself. I laugh but don't know what he is talking about. Ooops he is waking gota go. Parrot.

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

From the Front Page for those who don't ever visit:  

Pretty good summary: even understated  (Actual's west about effort is also happening). The pressure to have a single tracker for all these races and media is getting stronger. Don't know how long all the parochial interests will be able to hold out. 

• Downvote 1

Too funny. Cape "Having Pete Buriing on your crew is like having Mick Jagger in your garage band"  and more 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stief said:

Too funny. Cape "Having Pete Buriing on your crew is like having Mick Jagger in your garage band"  and more 

Peter might be the world male sailor of the year.
Marit is female sailor of the year.
Only, she stays in Laser Radial and is not in the VOR.
5a03265da1eba_MaritBouwmeesterWorldSailoroftheyear.PNG.83bdb45749cf33848664ecb834c647d9.PNG
Interesting detail : Simeon Tienpont liked this tweet.
Do these skippers have nothing to do aboard?
Tweeting al the time like they are at home?

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

German actually..as per my UBoat post above Woger or are you on the piss again using free WiFi at the pub??...btw posting here with authenticty but without offending Herman and the Merkel crowd here are rules I will adhere to.

No, electrickery today - need to earn the beans for going to the pub.

Got the U-boat reference but I'm thinking he speaks some other language not known to most of us..

3 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Why, do you think I'd be good at it? :):):)

We'll see how your getting on after 6 months of trying to be polite to the village idiot.:lol:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

Peter might be the world male sailor of the year.
Only, she stays in Laser Radial and is not in the VOR.
5a03265da1eba_MaritBouwmeesterWorldSailoroftheyear.PNG.83bdb45749cf33848664ecb834c647d9.PNG
Do these skippers have nothing to do aboard?
Tweeting al the time like they are at home?

Pray tell how would skippers access twitter offshore? 

Basically every team has a social media communications manager. They're the ones posting content and republishing information from the OA. No information goes to or off the boat without OA. It is basically a captive communication structure. 

20 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

Already known

Already covered long ago upthread. (search for  "Crew Communicator" in the tweets)

So, no point added.

• Downvote 1

VOR:  Any chance of overlaying Gitana's track for a few days or so?  Approximately 160 miles behind Scally atm.

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 4.08.35 PM.png

Heads up for those who like Volodia's work: he posted a link to an updated and approved plug-in in the tracker thread

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, stief said:

updated and approved plug-in

Updated Nov 5.  I think I already have that one.

Same here--Version: 1.0.4 (not sure if google automatically updates; didn't check before updating manually). Best news is  VOR approval.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, rogerfal said:

Okay how about we all make our recommendations for a good book about wind for Alinghi to read. Probably best in his native tongue whatever that is.

He can then go away and not come back until he has assimilated the knowledge within.

On the other hand perhaps we will miss his inane comments and regret sending him away.

This is one brilliant idea. So here's the deal, @Alinghi4ever. Get this book, it's really good, it's in German, a language you should understand, and read it first to last page. And then read it again. And only then come back to this forum.

https://www.amazon.de/Wetter-auf-See-Ralf-Brauner/dp/3884124870/

And here's the special deal, just for you: I'll buy you this book if you follow your promise, which you did over in the AC forum, to bugger off of SA for good. Klingt verlockend?

• Like 2

Direct off Team Brunel from skipper Bouwe Bekking:

After 3 days on the water we get more in the routine and some are catching up on some lack of sleep, not easy to wake up some  of them. Annie , Kyle and Carlo, you have to shake hard to get the any reaction. Most having big rashes around their neck's, because of wearing the entire time the foulweather gear who have tight rubber seals around neck and arms, but their bodies are dry! So several creams are coming out, it still seems the simple disenfection spray from katanteach is doing the best job. All our hands are now worn out and losing skin and first cracks start appearing. Also here different philosophies and tricks. From really fat sheep cream, to just washing hand in fresh water. Several style of gloves have appread as well, wait and see which track is going best. We have set ourselves west of the fleet, just scallywag a tiny more bit west. Over the next 24 hours the breeze will get lighter, lets see if our tactics if our tactics is paying off. WE JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT!  Clouds are already coming into play, last night we had for two hours wind from 120 direction and down to just 12 knots. That are the moments where you know the next postion report can be painful, as others might still sail in same breeze. 

THE NEWS: Peter Burling wasn't very fuzzed about winning the trophy for sailor of the year, of course a great accomplishment, he is more occupied with how we can catch the others. Abby is busy sealing some leaks who have, the pumps for the hydraulics was pissing water through and as well one of the engagement button for the winches, that are often the areas  who after using them a lot start leaking, just means bailing a bit. As i speak a sudden drop to 7 knots of wind, have to go.

To Bouwe:  Channel Grease is the best.  Stays on for marathon swimmers doing triple channel crossings.

Today's "From the boats".

Martin Keruzore/Volvo Ocean Race

13_02_171108_VEH_MTK_00613.jpg.6d50610f2fca1dc3d2b0f933e05745d5.jpg

Ugo Fonolla/Volvo Ocean Race

13_02_171108_MPF_UGF_00054.jpg.49d61bab0520fa9c13e55eb268db1db6.jpg

Jeremie Lecaudey/Volvo Ocean Race

13_02_171108_DFG_JRL_00105.jpg.c08db2304234b64fcf3d2a5818693530.jpg

Konrad Frost/Volvo Ocean Race

13_02_171108_SHK_KFR_00239.jpg.a5cc201afa61f84b6ef6f5f865cef25c.jpg

Let's see what the Caption Kings come up with...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Today's "From the boats".Jeremie Lecaudey/Volvo Ocean Race

13_02_171108_DFG_JRL_00105.jpg.c08db2304234b64fcf3d2a5818693530.jpg

"MRW when people think I look like Charles Caudrelier"

• Downvote 1

Windy's CAPE index does a nice job showing what the doldrums will look like in 48 hrs5a0345f262f8d_ScreenShot2017-11-08at11_56_13AM.thumb.png.dfe3a51072901b2e1e94f64d0a557239.png 

• Downvote 1

What is the significance of the CAPE index please?

4 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Convective Available Potential Energy. It measures the bouyancy of an air parcel. In other words: instability, thuntherstorms possibility.

Read the Wikipedia page on CAPE.  The buoyancy / energy potential is what drives local wind variation (clouds / squalls).  The local wind is superimposed on the macro-scale / gradient wind (driven by the atmospheric pressure gradients) that you see in the GRIBs / Windy weather forecast. The forecast looks smooth across the playing field but the local / cloud driven wind creates all those holes, puffs and direction changes.

14 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

As Breitling and Kenny say. btw, you can also just click on the link (CAPE) in my post to play around with the different weather layers and times. Nice view of ocean currents too, if you want to see where a team might try to catch a boost across.  Cheers.

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Breitling said:

Convective Available Potential Energy. It measures the bouyancy of an air parcel. In other words: instability, thuntherstorms possibility.

Thanks.

So looking at the CAPE chart above I guess the grey areas are relatively stable. Buoyancy presumably refers to heated and rapidly rising parcels of air which also cool as they rise and therefore create the instability?

Perhaps I should get a copy of weather for dummies..

Thanks - I'll go and do the reading suggested.

7 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

So looking at the CAPE chart above I guess the grey areas are relatively stable.

That's right.  Cape index 0 - 2500 stable to moderate.  3500+ = bad.  Good for predicting lightning strikes.

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 6.30.38 PM.png

• Like 1

Gitana has had to West a little to cross at almost 32W.  Maybe Scally will make some gains.

Roger: almost, but the instability is due to the buoyancy potential, not air cooled and coming back down.  It's the fact that the warm / wet surface air is fundamentally instable, which means that once it starts to lift, it becomes even more bouyant due to the higher density (cool, dry) air above it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Low to moderate CI.

Sorry: CI = ?

(tried google; guessing 'cloud inversion?')

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, stief said:

Yup, worked. Wished the RawContent page allowed posting direct links, like the tweets, but not yet. I usually have to wait until Rennie does his magic posting the pics. Cheers.

Her, Darling, her...

Week 4 summary with common tree:

Without common tree (but still with muzak) will be uploaded in an hour or so...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rennmaus said:

Her, Darling, her...

Sorry. I was never sure, so usually tried to avoid a pronoun. Cheers.

• Like 1

Found this

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/CAPE---Convective-Available-Potential-Energy.htm

and this

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Thunderstorm-Probability.htm

CAPE being about how fast the parcel of air is rising and the Lifted Index the temperature difference between the parcel and it's surrounding air.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Dongfeng is going to the west AGAIN not sticking with Vestas, MAPFRE and AkzoNobel.

Risky not to although I wonder if Vestas, Mapre, will risk a cross at this angle.  Surely not but the local conditions may be showing a different hand.

Donger being brave and confident that west will still be best.

Gitana and Sodebo less than 100NM N of Scally at 28knts and closing.  

TWD of Dong significantly backed compared to the other three.

3 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Donger being brave and confident that west will still be best.

Macif crossing at 31W

3 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

TWD of Dong significantly backed compared to the other three.

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 7.21.27 PM.png

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 7.21.27 PM.png

Is that from the 19.00 UTC update? The tracker I'm looking at does not show the last two gybes for DF!?

19 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I was told when I was a middy with the navy (Royal Navy) by old salts that it was that gunner 2 & 6 would heave out the cannon when re-loaded but this was purely anecdotal.

Wikipedia states that this would be impossible although the guns were on wheels and the rope to pull them out was on a black and tackle.

Perhaps just folklore but in all the time I have been sailing (around 50 years) this call has been in evidence.

It does have a good rhythm in that 2,6 allows preparation for the effort and repositioning.

Just my tuppence worth

SS

It's true.

Just now, rogerfal said:

Is that from the 19.00 UTC update?

Yes.  Sometimes they'll throw in a couple of extra updates.  Try refreshing your browser.

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Yes.  Sometimes they'll throw in a couple of extra updates.  Try refreshing your browser.

That's sorted it. The data table reads the same but now the tracks are not straight lines. Doh!

1 minute ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Most frustrating is that they ain't showing the Longitudes/Latitudes for the Boats on the Tracker.

Mouse over the boat.  Bottom right corner are the coordinates.

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 7.36.00 PM.png

5 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Most frustrating is that they ain't showing the Longitudes/Latitudes for the Boats on the Tracker.

You can switch them on. Second from bottom icon on the right.

Edit I mean left but that is just the grid lines!

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

Pray tell how would skippers access twitter offshore? 

Basically every team has a social media communications manager. They're the ones posting content and republishing information from the OA. No information goes to or off the boat without OA. It is basically a captive communication structure. 

You sure about that?  Our info is that the Crew Communicator posts directly to Twitter, Facebook, or Insta, and that the teams comms officer is notified that a post has gone live in case they need to do something with it.

12 hours ago, Sarcoma said:

There is a stack of good navigators this race... just because these two are in front right now does in no way mean they are “easily the two best Navs in the race”. Andrew Cape, Joan Villa, Simon Fisher, Pascal Bidegorry, Jules Salter are all highly desired navigators for a reason... Even Nicolas Lunven(TTOP) who is a comparatively lower profile nav has a Solitaire de Figaro win and two podium overall finishes. 

All those guys are out there for a reason.

They're all good, no doubt. But two are easily the best. Andrew Cape is likely the most overrated of the bunch. That was plain to see with the telefonica implosion in 11/12.

6 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

You sure about that?  Our info is that the Crew Communicator posts directly to Twitter, Facebook, or Insta, and that the teams comms officer is notified that a post has gone live in case they need to do something with it.

The posting isn't the same as being able to read twitter and like comments. They can't surf twitter or Facebook. It is one way. Captive to the OA. Which can turn it of . 

One of the focuses rolling it out is ensuring no team can get a unfair advantage. It might be paranoia to some, but in a race where data is limited intentionally, the worst thing is to find out the leg winner was getting secret routing advice and info on other teams from an unknown account tweeting bookcode in plain text. 

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

The posting isn't the same as being able to read twitter and like comments. They can't surf twitter or Facebook. It is one way. Captive to the OA. Which can turn it of . 

One of the focuses rolling it out is ensuring no team can get a unfair advantage. It might be paranoia to some, but in a race where data is limited intentionally, the worst thing is to find out the leg winner was getting secret routing advice and info on other teams from an unknown account tweeting bookcode in plain text. 

Wish you would link or credit your sources. 

Notice board Media guide

The race is committed to getting raw content off the boats and onto the screens of our fans. That means supplying meaningful race data, videos, photos and blogs in close to real time. The 2017-18 edition will still feature live video calls with the teams while racing, and the sailors will send live social media updates via a brand new Crew Communicator.

And probably the clinics m45799_rmn02-2017-18-assembly-period-20170928

Crew Communicator & Social Media Clinic 16:30h to 17:30h:

All Crew Members shall attend this clinic.

• Downvote 1

17 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

How many times would a member of the public want to tune in to see someone 'sitting comfortably in the warm and dry?

It is a (sad) fact we (as a species) appear to take a delight in seeing others discomfort - why otherwise would the likes of "I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here" be so popular.

No viewers or hits then no marketing ROI for the sponsors. No Sponsors - no race.

I do agree with you though, Loose Cannon be nice to have a blast on these boats (I can say from personal experience) but ............for 3-4 weeks at a time? Nah!

Maybe not quite fish people but definitely something special, especially those who want to go again AND when they are into their 50s - a hell of a way to pay the mortgage.

SS

To quote the immortal philosopher Homer (Simpson) 'Its only funny cuz its not me..'  :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . I'm not a reporter. You want "anonymous" sources go read online press or something. 

6 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

southern,

I'm now taking Abu Dhabi Ocean Racings crossing of the Atlantic Doldrums in Leg 1 of the 14/15 Race as benchmark. What about you? There seems to be more consistent breeze in the west anyways if you move it forward to lets say 09.00 UTC or 12.00 UTC tomorrow.

Watch this below.

Abu's crossing has nothing to do with what is happening now.

I'm looking at Macif's crossing almost 32W who is ahead of them so not completely reliable but a benchmark.  At 32W Macif is hitting some light air.

Staying East is risky but you have to be down there on the boat to understand what's really going on.

That DF TWD (and the other numbers relatively correspond) is sure very different to the rest of the fleet so presumably relatively short lived....

6 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

That DF TWD (and the other numbers relatively correspond) is sure very different to the rest of the fleet so presumably relatively short lived....

Yeah seems like maybe that caught some bad luck with the breeze?  In the position report email, they average 12.7kts vs. 14-15kts for the rest of the leading group.  That with the different wind direction may mean some funky local breeze for them?

38 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Mouse over the boat.  Bottom right corner are the coordinates.

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 7.36.00 PM.png

It is hard to keep up with you people. FYI the "mouse over the boat for lat/long" works on the dashboard tracker but not on the full-screen tracker someone found here:

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/tracker/leg02_babylon.html

But you use the gridlines to get a rough idea, as noted.

And thanks for the explanations of CAPE Index. I just assumed that it was a measurement of the relative dryness of Brunelian navigational humour.

1 minute ago, 4pines said:

Yeah seems like maybe that caught some bad luck with the breeze?  In the position report email, they average 12.7kts vs. 14-15kts for the rest of the leading group.  That with the different wind direction may mean some funky local breeze for them?

I think they got distracted by a rainbow.

Just now, southerncross said:

I think they got distracted by a rainbow.

That or maybe they got too into a cooking show of their own?

4 minutes ago, stief said:

Humphrey the Bear

Wow.  I hadn't heard of Humphrey the Bear in eons.  The whole song is coming back now.  "Humphrey the fun loving bear!"  How about Basel the Fox?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Humphrey the Bear (?) is new.

An Australian children's TV character.

• Like 1

^ ^ stunning! 

6 hours ago, Herman said:

Quote by SiFi, the Vestas navigator; "the cloud givith and the cloud taketh away" - that's a biblical paraphrase for the non-believers and non-English native speakers.

I think it was actually Charlie who said that.

From Ivo, the developer of Windy, an appeal for info

New model on Windy: ICON vs. COSMO-EU vs. COSMO-DE

ivo 

2 days ago 

Hi all Meteorologists here

We are about to add new forecast model to Windy and we are currently deciding which one of these: ICON, COSMO-EU or  COSMO-DE could have biggest quality advantage over ECMWF (do not worry, we do not plan to remove ECMWF).

Since we are serving million of users, our backend systems are scaled for maximum performance. Therefore adding new model in no easy and we must consider all the aspects (including limited space of User Interface) associated with it.

If there is someone, who is heavy user of these three models, please give us a hint, which one should be implement as the first one.

ICON

COSMO-EU

COSMO-DE

Back to the pics.

52 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

They say local conditions but my hunch says that there is more to that.

If the DF data from 19.00 is not a glitch it certainly supports the existence of local conditions when compared to the forecast and other boats data.

I agree that when advancing the tracker forecast the west shows more consistent or stronger breeze so it will be interesting to see how the next 24 hours play out and on into the ITCZ.

What does your hunch suggest, please try and keep it factual..in other words back it up with some reasoned argument.

38 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

FYI the "mouse over the boat for lat/long" works on the dashboard tracker but not on the full-screen tracker someone found here:

If you go to Raw Content under the Racing Tab, you can have both features, full screen and mouse over coordinates.

• Like 1