• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Most frustrating is that they ain't showing the Longitudes/Latitudes for the Boats on the Tracker.

 

You can switch them on. Second from bottom icon on the right.

Edit I mean left but that is just the grid lines!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Miffy said:

Pray tell how would skippers access twitter offshore? 

Basically every team has a social media communications manager. They're the ones posting content and republishing information from the OA. No information goes to or off the boat without OA. It is basically a captive communication structure. 

You sure about that?  Our info is that the Crew Communicator posts directly to Twitter, Facebook, or Insta, and that the teams comms officer is notified that a post has gone live in case they need to do something with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sarcoma said:

There is a stack of good navigators this race... just because these two are in front right now does in no way mean they are “easily the two best Navs in the race”. Andrew Cape, Joan Villa, Simon Fisher, Pascal Bidegorry, Jules Salter are all highly desired navigators for a reason... Even Nicolas Lunven(TTOP) who is a comparatively lower profile nav has a Solitaire de Figaro win and two podium overall finishes. 

 

All those guys are out there for a reason.

They're all good, no doubt. But two are easily the best. Andrew Cape is likely the most overrated of the bunch. That was plain to see with the telefonica implosion in 11/12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

You sure about that?  Our info is that the Crew Communicator posts directly to Twitter, Facebook, or Insta, and that the teams comms officer is notified that a post has gone live in case they need to do something with it.

The posting isn't the same as being able to read twitter and like comments. They can't surf twitter or Facebook. It is one way. Captive to the OA. Which can turn it of . 

One of the focuses rolling it out is ensuring no team can get a unfair advantage. It might be paranoia to some, but in a race where data is limited intentionally, the worst thing is to find out the leg winner was getting secret routing advice and info on other teams from an unknown account tweeting bookcode in plain text. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

The posting isn't the same as being able to read twitter and like comments. They can't surf twitter or Facebook. It is one way. Captive to the OA. Which can turn it of . 

One of the focuses rolling it out is ensuring no team can get a unfair advantage. It might be paranoia to some, but in a race where data is limited intentionally, the worst thing is to find out the leg winner was getting secret routing advice and info on other teams from an unknown account tweeting bookcode in plain text. 

Wish you would link or credit your sources. 

Notice board Media guide

Quote

The race is committed to getting raw content off the boats and onto the screens of our fans. That means supplying meaningful race data, videos, photos and blogs in close to real time. The 2017-18 edition will still feature live video calls with the teams while racing, and the sailors will send live social media updates via a brand new Crew Communicator.

And probably the clinics m45799_rmn02-2017-18-assembly-period-20170928

Quote

Crew Communicator & Social Media Clinic 16:30h to 17:30h:

All Crew Members shall attend this clinic.

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

How many times would a member of the public want to tune in to see someone 'sitting comfortably in the warm and dry?

It is a (sad) fact we (as a species) appear to take a delight in seeing others discomfort - why otherwise would the likes of "I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here" be so popular.

No viewers or hits then no marketing ROI for the sponsors. No Sponsors - no race.

I do agree with you though, Loose Cannon be nice to have a blast on these boats (I can say from personal experience) but ............for 3-4 weeks at a time? Nah!

Maybe not quite fish people but definitely something special, especially those who want to go again AND when they are into their 50s - a hell of a way to pay the mortgage.

SS

To quote the immortal philosopher Homer (Simpson) 'Its only funny cuz its not me..'  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

southern,

I'm now taking Abu Dhabi Ocean Racings crossing of the Atlantic Doldrums in Leg 1 of the 14/15 Race as benchmark. What about you? There seems to be more consistent breeze in the west anyways if you move it forward to lets say 09.00 UTC or 12.00 UTC tomorrow.

Watch this below.

Abu's crossing has nothing to do with what is happening now.

I'm looking at Macif's crossing almost 32W who is ahead of them so not completely reliable but a benchmark.  At 32W Macif is hitting some light air.

Staying East is risky but you have to be down there on the boat to understand what's really going on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That DF TWD (and the other numbers relatively correspond) is sure very different to the rest of the fleet so presumably relatively short lived....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

That DF TWD (and the other numbers relatively correspond) is sure very different to the rest of the fleet so presumably relatively short lived....

Yeah seems like maybe that caught some bad luck with the breeze?  In the position report email, they average 12.7kts vs. 14-15kts for the rest of the leading group.  That with the different wind direction may mean some funky local breeze for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Mouse over the boat.  Bottom right corner are the coordinates.

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 7.36.00 PM.png

It is hard to keep up with you people. FYI the "mouse over the boat for lat/long" works on the dashboard tracker but not on the full-screen tracker someone found here:

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/tracker/leg02_babylon.html

But you use the gridlines to get a rough idea, as noted.

And thanks for the explanations of CAPE Index. I just assumed that it was a measurement of the relative dryness of Brunelian navigational humour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 4pines said:

Yeah seems like maybe that caught some bad luck with the breeze?  In the position report email, they average 12.7kts vs. 14-15kts for the rest of the leading group.  That with the different wind direction may mean some funky local breeze for them?

I think they got distracted by a rainbow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stief said:

Humphrey the Bear

Wow.  I hadn't heard of Humphrey the Bear in eons.  The whole song is coming back now.  "Humphrey the fun loving bear!"  How about Basel the Fox?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stief said:

 Humphrey the Bear (?) is new.

An Australian children's TV character.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, R15 said:

They're all good, no doubt. But two are easily the best. Andrew Cape is likely the most overrated of the bunch. That was plain to see with the telefonica implosion in 11/12.

Could be in 11/12, but in 14/15 he was 2nd in VOR with TBRU. Loved the flyer to Japan, first let all the boats sail away out of AIS range and then left rudder to sail around them outside. Hope the old fox got some cards in his sleave left, TBRU will need them very hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Herman said:

Quote by SiFi, the Vestas navigator; "the cloud givith and the cloud taketh away" - that's a biblical paraphrase for the non-believers and non-English native speakers.

I think it was actually Charlie who said that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Ivo, the developer of Windy, an appeal for info

Quote

New model on Windy: ICON vs. COSMO-EU vs. COSMO-DE

ivo 

2 days ago 

Hi all Meteorologists here

We are about to add new forecast model to Windy and we are currently deciding which one of these: ICON, COSMO-EU or  COSMO-DE could have biggest quality advantage over ECMWF (do not worry, we do not plan to remove ECMWF).

Since we are serving million of users, our backend systems are scaled for maximum performance. Therefore adding new model in no easy and we must consider all the aspects (including limited space of User Interface) associated with it.

If there is someone, who is heavy user of these three models, please give us a hint, which one should be implement as the first one.

ICON

COSMO-EU

COSMO-DE

Back to the pics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

They say local conditions but my hunch says that there is more to that.

If the DF data from 19.00 is not a glitch it certainly supports the existence of local conditions when compared to the forecast and other boats data.

I agree that when advancing the tracker forecast the west shows more consistent or stronger breeze so it will be interesting to see how the next 24 hours play out and on into the ITCZ.

What does your hunch suggest, please try and keep it factual..in other words back it up with some reasoned argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

FYI the "mouse over the boat for lat/long" works on the dashboard tracker but not on the full-screen tracker someone found here:

If you go to Raw Content under the Racing Tab, you can have both features, full screen and mouse over coordinates.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, forss said:

If anyone wants to play with more weather layers then: https://gis.ee/vor/

Sweet once again. How would you like feedback? Here? New thread? PM?

Glad to see the vectors back, and wondering if the Windy API has the lat/long grid, or if that was your implementation before. Cheers.

And of course, if I can buy you a trouble free drink, or help out with server costs, please let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Makes the nav issues so much easier to see. Risk the south lane that might open, play it safe on the outside, or come up with another plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've confused me now..

Are you saying the two gybes were a result of local conditions. I'd suggest the separation will play out before the doldrums when the three get to the lighter breeze ahead (not the doldrums). In any case the three may have gybed by now and since the last report.

We will see how it plays out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R15 said:

They're all good, no doubt. But two are easily the best. Andrew Cape is likely the most overrated of the bunch. That was plain to see with the telefonica implosion in 11/12.

Oh right. Nothing to do with shredding rudders or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sarcoma said:

Oh right. Nothing to do with shredding rudders or anything.

Agree rudders were the final straw, but Iker put his hand up for that in his video to Campos. The beginning of the end might be the Itajai in-port race when they went around the wrong mark, followed by a bad run to Miami, and . .  and.... perhaps some might want to see Cape put his hand up there. There was the Sanya exit too, and the turn down to Aukland, but I doubt I recall correctly. Best part was the repair at the Horn and the incredible chase into Itajaî

But, it's done, and a new race is on. Cheers to both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, stief said:

Agree rudders were the final straw, but Iker put his hand up for that in his video to Campos. The beginning of the end might be the Itajai in-port race when they went around the wrong mark, followed by a bad run to Miami, and . .  and.... perhaps some might want to see Cape put his hand up there. There was the Sanya exit too, and the turn down to Aukland, but I doubt I recall correctly. Best part was the repair at the Horn and the incredible chase into Itajaî

But, it's done, and a new race is on. Cheers to both.

Video? What video??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So yet again DF pulls some distance on their competitors from a move to the west despite seemingly getting caught in a light patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jbc said:

I think it was actually Charlie who said that.

Thanks, I flipped though the Vestas mugbook and thought I had the purpetrator 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

Video? What video??

Oh no . . . . off to hunt old links. Gimme a couple of hours, K? It was the next morning, addressed to Campos. Quite a tear-jerker. I was hoping you remembered it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Yes. Great. Thanks.

While listening to their discussion, I was reminded of a phrase one of my outdoor education mentors used to describe the ideal leadership model on a canoe trip: "a non-hierarchical, collaborative community." Big words, yes, but makes sense when you think about it. In that video you get the sense that Charlie is in charge but is fostering collaboration and there is a huge amount of respect for SiFi. VS11 is a strong team in many ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, forss said:

If anyone wants to play with more weather layers then: https://gis.ee/vor/

Congratulions @forss! And thanks for the sneak preview. Although not everyone will recognize this, the green light from VOR/Mark is a giant step forward. It’s the first time in the past years that a race allows collected race data to be used by 3rd parties (SA). Although other 3rd parties (Geoville) are being paid by the teams or the race organization to collect the data, Geoville regarded these data as their own property. Which is still a strange position. The technical stuff was already there, years ago. Remember the Universal Tracker created by @Volodia used amongst others, by the VOR 14/15. Later on, Forrs built an even more advanced one with polar weather routing. The tracker wars relating to the last VG have been quoted by me in the VOR threads. I can only hope that the French sailing community (read race organizations) would listen too to the arguments brought forward to allow 3rd parties to use their data. Collected by other 3rd parties, again Geovile. Sorry Yann, it’s time to break your monopoly imho. As not a lot of progress has being made when looking at the trackers for the French major races going on atm. The only tracker that has been seriously upgraded is the VOR tracker, the others are still the same as 5 years ago. If you know how to improve a tracker, why don’t you? But with Belgiums and French being more stubborn than cloggies like me, it could still take years for all major French races provided by Geoville to find out that there is an audience outside France that could be interested in a bit more advanced tracker. End of rant.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, stief said:

Oh no . . . . off to hunt old links. Gimme a couple of hours, K? It was the next morning, addressed to Campos. Quite a tear-jerker. I was hoping you remembered it.

I don't! pretty curious though.. I've searched myself, but no luck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chuso007 said:

I don't! pretty curious though.. I've searched myself, but no luck...

Found it (text, not video)-- in the logbook

Quote

06-15-2012 03:00[snip]

I would like to say sorry from the bottom of my heart to our sponsors and more specifically to Pedro Campos who have risked so much to provide us with the necessary resources and time to be able to race in this regatta. I think that the only thing right now that that makes me feel any better is knowing that I've given one hundred per cent of myself to this for the past two years.This is the first time that something like this has happened to me and I think it's going to be difficult to let it sink in, but I'll have to worry about that when we are all safely back on shore with no further risk.

I can't say much more right now. A sad day for “Telefónica” and it's my birthday tomorrow. All I can ask for is that we all get to shore safely.

Regards to everyone,

Iker.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

They say local conditions but my hunch says that there is more to that.

A butterfly flapped its wings in Frankfurt, you saw a lady wearing a orange dress pass wind?? 

Is it true Colonial Klink was one win short of taking Gold from Elvstrom at the Helsinki Games?

You are very secretive.

quote-i-hear-nothing-i-see-nothing-i-know-nothing-john-banner-62-17-90.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stief said:

Found it (text, not video)-- in the logbook

 

Thanks!! It's kind of sad reading it five years later...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That seems like yesterday. The V70 was quick but also good at killing dreams.

Too true. Thinking about Cape (his post is the previous in the log), Nicholson, Moose/ Ian Walker and their freighters.

Pardon the obvious, of course more lose a Volvo than win, but I think Iker and the others made me a fan that night by showing how to lose right.

Hmmmm. Think I'll click on chuso's avatar and get back into the proper SA mode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Herman said:

Although not everyone will recognize this, the green light from VOR/Mark is a giant step forward

Herman, although MT approved it, do you think there still may be some backlash from Yann?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

 

That is just what happens after 4 days. It is going to get a lot weirder.

Witty is going mental because he could be beaten by a boat full of girls who had no place on his boat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Great discussion and decision-making aboard V11, Charlie drops an f-bomb:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/1729.html

Something I thought was really cool about this: They got the 1900 sched, which is how they knew DF had gybed. And that's the latest update we've seen in the tracker, too. So they decided to gybe themselves, and did gybe. And because of the Raw Content feed (and because Martin got the video and uploaded it quickly) we got to see that happen first via the Raw Content feed, and it's still another hour and a half before we'll be able to see it (Vestas' gybe) via the tracker.

Maybe it's just me. But I got so frustrated with the dribs and drabs of information last time, that it just tickles me every time I notice something like this.

Also the f-bomb. That was cool. Because I'm 12.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, southerncross said:

Herman, although MT approved it, do you think there still may be some backlash from Yann?

Yann is a sub contractor from VOR, and will do what the guy paying him orders. Or he will be in breach of contract. And losing a client like VOR is not good on your resume. Forrs can step in any time if neccesary imho. Yann won’t buy me a beer though at the bar with my opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jbc said:

Something I thought was really cool about this: They got the 1900 sched, which is how they knew DF had gybed. And that's the latest update we've seen in the tracker, too. So they decided to gybe themselves, and did gybe. And because of the Raw Content feed (and because Martin got the video and uploaded it quickly) we got to see that happen first via the Raw Content feed, and it's still another hour and a half before we'll be able to see it (Vestas' gybe) via the tracker.

Maybe it's just me. But I got so frustrated with the dribs and drabs of information last time, that it just tickles me every time I notice something like this.

Also the f-bomb. That was cool. Because I'm 12.

Oh. Except they gave us a special tracker update, I guess because there was a lead change? Woot; go DF!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Herman said:

Yann is a sub contractor from VOR, and will do what the guy paying him orders. Or he will be in breach of contract. And losing a client like VOR is not good on your resume. Forrs can step in any time if neccesary imho. Yann won’t buy me a beer though at the bar with my opinions.

Yann  was the little guy one too, and made his trackers better  this time. Let's let this one go and see what happens. I've got your back regardless. Like forss, your contributions help made SA the best place to follow ocean racing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, stief said:

Found it (text, not video)-- in the logbook

 

I don’t remember the background to this, can somebody post a brief description and a link if possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sarcoma said:

Oh right. Nothing to do with shredding rudders or anything.

For context, the team that won dismasted and still won!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mad said:

I don’t remember the background to this, can somebody post a brief description and a link if possible?

link to the moment Telephonica lost their rudders and the VOR  trophy to Groupama on the leg from Lisbon to Lorient is summarized in the log above. http://www.teamtelefonica.com/en/logbook 

Off to dig up the SA thread. It was pretty intense that night. 

[edit] hope history doesn't repeat for Burling and Tuke http://www.teamtelefonica.com/en/news/658/IKER-AND-XABI-PICK-UP-ROLEX-SAILORS-OF-THE-YEAR-2011-PRIZE

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stief said:

link to the moment Telephonica lost their rudders and the VOR  trophy to Groupama on the leg from Lisbon to Lorient is summarized in the log above. http://www.teamtelefonica.com/en/logbook 

Off to dig up the SA thread. It was pretty intense that night.

Thanks. 

Not sure how I missed that story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my new estimation based upon 22:18:00 update (& value 24h ago)

Dongfeng
Vestas +10NM (+5 NM)
Akzonobel +15NM (+25NM)
Mafre +20M (+10 NM)
Brunel +45NM (+20 NM)
Scallywag +70NM (+ 50NM)
TTTP +85NM (+ 55NM)

These are sailing distances based on main wind direction.
good day for Akzonobel  and bad one for Mapfre and last 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, stief said:

I found that article interesting as it makes a point of calling Iker and Xabi Basques, not Spainish.

The northern Basque region is identical to Catalonia which is currently dragging Spain through an independence shitfight.

Both regions have their own language, culture and a long history of fighting to be separate, despite Spainish leaders like Franco amd others who squashed them. It will be interesting to see if the desire for independence proves contagious and the Basques join the Catalonians.

Maybe Xabi's determination stems from where he was brought up.

That is the end of today's VOR cultural segment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on 11 08 1800 UTC when DF did their 4 jibes, I wonder what weather structure they were avoiding.  Bouwe, 40 miles to leeward held course and got a big header that gained him 6 nm on the fleet.  I guess just opposite sides of a squall, maybe picked it up on radar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

 

Guess I got to do a better job of keeping up. The day job keeps getting in the way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, southerncross said:

Wow.  I hadn't heard of Humphrey the Bear in eons.  The whole song is coming back now.  "Humphrey the fun loving bear!"  How about Basel the Fox?

 

Do you mean Basil Brush.  Grew up with that show as a kid. Looks like it got revamped. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Slark said:

Last race I don't even think you could see sail configurations in the daily updates. Now they show sails all the time.

You're right though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Herman said:

Congratulions @forss! And thanks for the sneak preview. Although not everyone will recognize this, the green light from VOR/Mark is a giant step forward. It’s the first time in the past years that a race allows collected race data to be used by 3rd parties (SA). Although other 3rd parties (Geoville) are being paid by the teams or the race organization to collect the data, Geoville regarded these data as their own property. Which is still a strange position. The technical stuff was already there, years ago. Remember the Universal Tracker created by @Volodia used amongst others, by the VOR 14/15. Later on, Forrs built an even more advanced one with polar weather routing. The tracker wars relating to the last VG have been quoted by me in the VOR threads. I can only hope that the French sailing community (read race organizations) would listen too to the arguments brought forward to allow 3rd parties to use their data. Collected by other 3rd parties, again Geovile. Sorry Yann, it’s time to break your monopoly imho. As not a lot of progress has being made when looking at the trackers for the French major races going on atm. The only tracker that has been seriously upgraded is the VOR tracker, the others are still the same as 5 years ago. If you know how to improve a tracker, why don’t you? But with Belgiums and French being more stubborn than cloggies like me, it could still take years for all major French races provided by Geoville to find out that there is an audience outside France that could be interested in a bit more advanced tracker. End of rant.

 

This is great.  Have they opened up the Yb tracker for Expediton, adrena et al?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

This is great.  Have they opened up the Yb tracker for Expediton, adrena et al?

Doubt they will reopen the door for the reasons they took it down. That said the audience here is miniscule and if they gave the keys to say 2 Expedition users in different timezones, some tragics here would be in heaven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

TTOP sailing Opti style DDW at 9 n   Musta broke sumpin

 

Not bad for under 7 knots true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed that.  Getting sketchy out there with DF and AZ at 10 TWS.  Seems like west is best.  Time for Scally to go pirate and jibe for the end around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I found that article interesting as it makes a point of calling Iker and Xabi Basques, not Spainish.

The northern Basque region is identical to Catalonia which is currently dragging Spain through an independence shitfight.

Both regions have their own language, culture and a long history of fighting to be separate, despite Spainish leaders like Franco amd others who squashed them. It will be interesting to see if the desire for independence proves contagious and the Basques join the Catalonians.

Maybe Xabi's determination stems from where he was brought up.

That is the end of today's VOR cultural segment.

Dude, don't go there... Especially if you don't know what you are talking about. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites