• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

2 hours ago, damagesmith said:

Geez... what a pain in the backside it would be to move all that gear every time you tacked or gybed.

Did you attend the Alingh4ever sailing school??

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate all I'm doing is providing some linkys between the human faces in this race (in this instance Xabi/Mapfree), and what is out there happening in the real world, or anything else I can speak with at least a piddling of authority on, bearing in mind there are lovely people here from the US who may not know what is happening outside their zip code (no offence intended my US friends). 

I don't mind at all to ilustrate what's behind each person in the race. But if you do, please do it with the real big picture and not with that some people (a minority) want to be. That's all.

Stats delta DTL compared for 2 days:  

1    Top 4 boats within 8 nm, AKZO gained most DTL in the top 4 boats and is within the leading pack again.
2    DFRT did a very nice job.
3    TBRU snd SHKS gained lots of DTL due to higher pressure in the north.
4    MAPFRE more or less stable. Which is not good enough anymore with DFRT and Akzo joining the party in the front.

Edit:

5 TTToP was the boat farthest to the east, and has gained 113 nm west in the past day. And is with SHKS the boat farthest west of the fleet, almost at the same latitude 28,25W.

DTLs compared 8th and 9th nov 2017.png

Edited by Herman
Add TTToP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mad said:

Did you attend the Alingh4ever sailing school??

I hear they teach you how to speak with authority when you really haven't got a clue what you are saying....

• Like 1

TTToP measured.

Weather routing in the picture is from yesterday. It's no use to route when the top 4 are this close together, with a GFS 1 degree resolution I have available.

TTToP.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Herman

What are you demonstrating with the chart you just posted please?

Am checking to see if I've missed something.

I did a mistake.....sitting at my desk at work, landscape style, and thought I'd watch the latest raw video from Scallywag, to kill a few minutes before a meeting....it was impossible not to laugh. Got a few curious looks :D

Rash in the scrotum......Bessie was speechless :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Breitling said:

I don't mind at all to ilustrate what's behind each person in the race. But if you do, please do it with the real big picture and not with that some people (a minority) want to be. That's all.

I do hate being cut and pasted in response to  a direct question and that question being conveniently avoided. Anyway that aside excellent breitlingthingo. Just remember though my post was not political, cultural or directed in any shape or form. It is called commentary.

You only responded to my post because you happen to live in the place in question I mentioned. Which by the way your not only entitled to do so, but can do so with authority. I also made it clear I didn't want and discouraged a response to my post.

With the boot on the other foot however you responded assuming I have never never lived or worked in your country. Your mistake.

If after reading just a sampling of my posts anyone then thinks I'm not a big picture idiot here and which you ask me to be..well say no more.

34 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I did a mistake.....sitting at my desk at work, landscape style, and thought I'd watch the latest raw video from Scallywag, to kill a few minutes before a meeting....it was impossible not to laugh. Got a few curious looks :D

I'm not surprised - it's a serious business :mellow: :)

Would you risk sharing the video with your work colleagues? I wonder if they'd get it without first hand knowledge of spending some time on a sailing boat.

Sort of on subject just heard a prog on BBC R4 about mens locker room talk - lots of appalled female commentary. Of course you'd never come across women being so depraved...

Interesting times we live in!!

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Stats delta DTL compared for 2 days:  

1    Top 4 boats within 8 nm, AKZO gained most DTL in the top 4 boats and is within the leading pack again.
2    DFRT did a very nice job.
3    TBRU snd SHKS gained lots of DTL due to higher pressure in the north.
4    MAPFRE more or less stable. Which is not good enough anymore with DFRT and Akzo joining the party in the front.

Edit:

5 TTToP was the boat farthest to the east, and has gained 113 nm west in the past day. And is with SHKS the boat farthest west of the fleet, almost at the same latitude 28,25W.

DTLs compared 8th and 9th nov 2017.pngo go near

I actually think that, as the boats approach the  artificial waypoint the VOR has put on the tracker to avoid the "Great Circle to Capetown" the same error as before is happening.

From the wind models the 'holes' in the ITCZ appear to be narrower to the west and when a boat gybes to the west their VMG not only drops but becomes negative - the VMG to an artificial waypoint that none of them are going to anyway.

We are back in the same situation as a day or two ago when the leaderboard on the VOR site wasn't actually a leaderboard.

Looking at the graphics it has Brunel CLEARLY behind Azkonobel if the fleet are heading west to where the ITCZ appears narrowest yet the dashboard has them 3rd not 5th.

clearly it needs some repositioning of the waypoint used as a reference to who is further down the track as none of the teams appear to be going anywhere near the Cape Verde direction.

I wouldn't disagree that it is close though. I wonder if the naviguessers have plenty Valium on board?

SS

• Like 1

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Woger you and others make life so much easier for us lazy folk. Thanks.

Sometimes I'm on it sometimes not.... Really should get on with the work I need to be doing........

34 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

Next 18-24h are going to be very interesting...

Chus yep but closer to the 24 hr mark and then maybe terminal for some as it is starting to look like a first in first out caper with no multiple choice. Not a backmarker recovery me thinks. Still you never know.

46 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

.....I wonder if the naviguessers have plenty Valium on board?

Shang that was a very long, expert but convoluted post to come to the conclusion no one really knows fuckall at this point. Mate go to bed tonight just thinking the Dong is good...the Dong is good. I'm going to bed spooning a super model. We are brothers we are both dreaming.

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

Now your making things up NorBow..that Bessie is tough as teak and a character to boot. Teapot will be missing her (with no slight on his crew) save for the fact she wanted a full ride and like Chuny had bills to pay. 

VES11 with a bit of bad luck. 3 times lifted on the "wrong tack" - having difficulties to get to the west. 

Vestas bad luck.tiff

Edited by Manfred
wrong link

36 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Chus yep but closer to the 24 hr mark and then maybe terminal for some as it is starting to look like a first in first out caper with no multiple choice. Not a backmarker recovery me thinks. Still you never know.

There's a 30-40nm E-W separation on the fleet, there'll be big differences in wind strengh and direction from one side to the other, I reckon.

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Now your making things up NorBow..that Bessie is tough as teak and a character to boot. Teapot will be missing her (with no slight on his crew) save for the fact she wanted a full ride and like Chuny had bills to pay. 

Chuny didn't leave for money reasons...

1 hour ago, rogerfal said:

I'm not surprised - it's a serious business :mellow: :)

Would you risk sharing the video with your work colleagues? I wonder if they'd get it without first hand knowledge of spending some time on a sailing boat.

Sort of on subject just heard a prog on BBC R4 about mens locker room talk - lots of appalled female commentary. Of course you'd never come across women being so depraved...

Interesting times we live in!!

Of course I would risk that, my colleagues know very well how childish I am :)  

I don't think Bessie was very surprised or appalled - she must be used to this :) I think she just didn't know what to say to the camera - that's different than just goofing around with your mates.

In my own sailing team where I'm the only girl, I'm also the one who have the strongest tendency to name things by areas and functions of the body.....If you can't enjoy or handle that, go back on shore. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

Of course I would risk that, my colleagues know very well how childish I am :)  

I don't think Bessie was very surprised or appalled - she must be used to this :) I think she just didn't know what to say to the camera - that's different than just goofing around with your mates.

In my own sailing team where I'm the only girl, I'm also the one who have the strongest tendency to name things by areas and functions of the body.....If you can't enjoy or handle that, go back on shore. :rolleyes:

Equality rules - make em blush BowGirl :D

4 minutes ago, eltelatron said:

I just noticed that Chuny is on Vestas now, possibly as a stand in for Foxall? Anything of interest there?

I think Foxall was himself a stand in and understand Chuny replaced him.

Gets confusing for me!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

I think Foxall was himself a stand in and understand Chuny replaced him.

Gets confusing for me!

Phil Harmer (Wendy) has a back issue, Damien was always contracted to do a couple of legs (and as part of the 11th Hour deal). Chuny is essentially in for Wendy until further notice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chuso007 said:

Chuny didn't leave for money reasons...

Team funding and resultant clusterfuck disarray for him. Chuny had little interest going around again in anything less than a potential winner. He was one of the few that understood AzNo was going down the toilet being a veteran and could afford to bail when he did and get rehired on his terms, if he so desired, which he has. 

Whether he does all legs on Vestas as a stand in who knows. Funny though, Chuny, Salter and Nicho all waited for Leg 1 to pan out, before committing. These guys no longer have to do this for experience.

On that subject Teapot is amoungst a small group of young kickstarters of a team (not to be confused with a young skip in a team put together by others) in this event and like Charlie last time around, is no small effort. All I can think of those who have preceded Teapot, all young (if you call 35 young) first tilters have burnt and died at their first go. He has another 40,000nm to maybe change that record.

Unlike some of his predecessor's, getting just to the start line has been more than interesting for Teapot.

5 hours ago, rogerfal said:

Hi Herman

What are you demonstrating with the chart you just posted please?

Am checking to see if I've missed something.

Nothing, just the tactical repositioning from Dee from top right to top left of the fleet, sacrificing a lot of not going south in the process. Hence the spike in the DTL going through the roof.

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

.......clearly it needs some repositioning of the waypoint used as a reference to who is further down the track as none of the teams appear to be going anywhere near the Cape Verde direction.

...yes,, from doing that a fair bit last round, it was clear there's no perfect waypoint. :mellow:

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I actually think that, as the boats approach the  artificial waypoint the VOR has put on the tracker to avoid the "Great Circle to Capetown" the same error as before is happening.

From the wind models the 'holes' in the ITCZ appear to be narrower to the west and when a boat gybes to the west their VMG not only drops but becomes negative - the VMG to an artificial waypoint that none of them are going to anyway.

We are back in the same situation as a day or two ago when the leaderboard on the VOR site wasn't actually a leaderboard.

Looking at the graphics it has Brunel CLEARLY behind Azkonobel if the fleet are heading west to where the ITCZ appears narrowest yet the dashboard has them 3rd not 5th.

clearly it needs some repositioning of the waypoint used as a reference to who is further down the track as none of the teams appear to be going anywhere near the Cape Verde direction.

I wouldn't disagree that it is close though. I wonder if the naviguessers have plenty Valium on board?

SS

Agree. the fleet will stay probably at least 100 nm west of CV in order not to loose speed with the windshadows of islands. 

3 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

...yes,, from doing that a fair bit last round, it was clear there's no perfect waypoint. :mellow:

It will be like throwing a dart in the blind to pick a virtual waypoint. A couple of LP systems are all over the place between South America and Africa the coming week, making it a nightmare to pick a route or a virtual waypoint. Let naviguess a bit, 10S 20W maybe? The virtual waypoint MUST be left to port by all boats I understood from a tweet by Infante.

Cape Verde wind shadows.png

new virtual waypoint.jpg

26 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

last round, it was clear there's no perfect waypoint. :mellow:

Last round???... perfect waypoint??? Couch I think the Vikings beat Columbus to the New World waypoint by 500 or so years. Then again they did go via Greenland, so of anyone, my bet is Witty might be the one to start channelling them if required.

PS. As I have been brought to task about potentially intoducing cultural, social and or a political flavour to this thread, that is not my intention. Particularly any Italian relatives of Columbus or Inuit VOR followers out there, we are all cool.

18 minutes ago, Herman said:

It will be like throwing a dart in the blind to pick a virtual waypoint.

Herman your being kind. It would be like a blind person with Tourette's and no arms throwing a dart while perched on the wing of a 747 flying through a hurricane at a dartboard mounted on a Nth Korean satellite that is plumetting to earth. If the dart happens to land somewhere on earth it still counts.

PS. Usual apology in advance to any Nth Koreans or anyone who works at Boeing.

23 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Last round???... perfect waypoint??? Couch I think the Vikings beat Columbus to the New World waypoint by 500 or so years. Then again they did go via Greenland, so of anyone, my bet is Witty might be the one to start channelling them if required.

PS. As I have been brought to task about potentially intoducing cultural, social and or a political flavour to this thread, that is not my intention. Particularly any Italian relatives of Columbus or Inuit VOR followers out there, we are all cool.

ITALIAN!!! Everybody knows Columbus was Galician!!

http://www.cristobal-colon.com/christopher-columbus-galician/

Ok, I'll take my hat now... Carry on.

32 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

....heh,, even that waypoint would have problems, at least according to a few abbo's who already hold the claim of 'discoverers'!

I wouldn't be concerned of mixing cultural perspectives of many cultures involved in a roundwhirrled race on this worldwide forum.  I'm just trying to understand what sort of cheese, yoghurt culture yl75 is on,, drops 110 down votes, lays threats on pm,,, but gets snivelly when I drop a few on the tard.  I can't believe its because he's French,, more likely a bone up his ass, cultural in its own way I suppose.:lol:

32 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The Vikings came from my country and I’m fine with you reminding us of their navigational and adventurous skills that led them to become the first Europeans to discover America ;) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Herman said:

The 08:18 tracker update shows 4 boats within mark 1 eyeball distance. Forget AIS stealth mode for now. The following pack is making up miles due to the higher pressure to the north.

And thanks Forss thanks again for the adding of the options for ruler, lat/lon grid and extrapolation of course and heading with the weather prediction slider! Super handy.

Low pressure is driving boats west.jpg

4 boats within 8 NM of each other.png

I'm behind. What tracker are these screenshots from?

12 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

ITALIAN!!! Everybody knows Columbus was Galician!!

Oh Chooses...I will take you fishing anytime ..you bit down on that hook so fast and so hard it was scary.

For those not in the know the birth place of Columbus is very much contested still to this day. The people of Galicia, which is in the north-west corner of Spain are adamant it was there he was born. Guess where Choosie now resides and has lived for the better part of 50 years?

11 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

The Vikings came from my country and I’m fine with you reminding us of their navigational and adventurous skills that led them to become the first Europeans to discover America ;) 

I think subconciously I only wrote that to impress you with my impressive interlect NorBow. I'm glad it didn't go unnoticed. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Oh Chooses...I will take you fishing anytime ..you bit down on that hook so fast and so hard it was scary.

For those not in the know the birth place of Columbus is very much contested still to this day. The people of Galicia, which is in the north-west corner of Spain are adamant it was there he was born. Guess where Choosie now resides and has lived for the better part of 50 years?

Dude, I'm far from 50, that hurts.

Very much like Columbus I left Galicia at an early age, only to come back a grown man. 

BTW, @NORBowGirl, the Vikings came often to this land, lots of blue eyes around here... 

Gitana to West.,  I wonder if Charles and Sebastien Josse are having a conversation right now.  They did race together once.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 4.45.33 PM.png

Well, that was an entertaining few hours catching up. Thanks. Looking forward when we can see all the races on one tracker.

Anyway, since all the teams have been saying "CLOUDS", doubted any of the new weather layers might help visualize the fleet's situation. Best I could find was the setting for "medium clouds". (distance measure meant is 60 nm for context; forecast is for the next update).

Anyone find a better setting?

5a0487b3ace29_ScreenShot2017-11-09at9_52_30AM.png.d5ab4abd93bdd28b26d4c089efcf87de.png

Just now, stief said:

Morning.  How do you work the ruler?  Can't find it.

Enough of NorBows ancestors propogating Europe with their blue eyes, which by the way they did at first with force if required but then quickly assimilated. That occured throughout Europe including Russia and the Middle East. Dragging overland and rowing a longboat from the Baltic to the eastern Mediterranean makes the VOR look pretty tame.

Ironically that merchant wanting to assimilate type nature was the genesis to the Vikings undoing, essentialy disappearing outside their own homelands and only being a conquering force to be reakoned with for around a short 300 years or so. 

Anyway great to see Bouwer is now  finally up there, albeit a bit east not wanting to be left behind in the Verdes Latitude Dash.

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Morning.  How do you work the ruler?  Can't find it.

Top left. 

5a048879734d6_ScreenShot2017-11-09at10_54_23AM.png.301d549a6cd710d394eb90ba0bfeb460.png

51 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Herman your being kind. It would be like a blind person with Tourette's and no arms throwing a dart while perched on the wing of a 747 flying through a hurricane at a dartboard mounted on a Nth Korean satellite that is plumetting to earth. If the dart happens to land somewhere on earth it still counts.

PS. Usual apology in advance to any Nth Koreans or anyone who works at Boeing.

Sounds more like a blockbuster script of a Marvel Universe film :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Enough of NorBows ancestors propogating Europe

My Grandparents were blue - eyed (as am I) direct from the Great Land in the North Swensons so, sorry to break it to you Hank, but we cannot be long lost brothers after all.  

19 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

BTW, @NORBowGirl, the Vikings came often to this land, lots of blue eyes around here... 

They were all over the place.....! We still like to drink like them, btw.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stief said:

Well, that was an entertaining few hours catching up. Thanks. Looking forward when we can see all the races on one tracker.

Anyway, since all the teams have been saying "CLOUDS", doubted any of the new weather layers might help visualize the fleet's situation. Best I could find was the setting for "medium clouds". (distance measure meant is 60 nm for context; forecast is for the next update).

Cloud Tops should be way more significant. Higher tops means more instability that can affect surface wind. But always remember you're not seen current conditions in the chart but a forecast model output.

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

Sounds more like a blockbuster script of a Marvel Universe film :rolleyes:

Good one. Though, I think Jack's new 'culturally sensitive' persona is currently ahead of the hairdressers. Had lots of laughs this morning.

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

but we cannot be long lost brothers after all.  

Why not ..we are both blue eyed??. But your the bald one Runkel don't skirt around that...maybe we are related to NorBow?.she wont be happy with a bald guy in the family though. I will buy you a rug for Xmas..how's that.

13 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

They were all over the place.....! We still like to drink like them, btw.

Yeah, That's part of your heritage here too...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Why not ..we are both blue eyed??. But your the bald one Runkel don't skirt around that...maybe we are related to NorBow?.she wont be happy with a bald guy in the family though. I will buy you a rug for Xmas..how's that.

I thought you had nappy hair?  Wait.  Are we talking about the same Hank?  Weren't you kidnapped at a tender age from boarding school by a lesbian biker gang in New Guinea?  I have full head of hair thank you.   

(Oh shit, I'll never hear the end of it now)

13 minutes ago, Breitling said:

Cloud Tops should be way more significant. Higher tops means more instability that can affect surface wind. But always remember you're not seen current conditions in the chart but a forecast model output.

Agreed. Cloud tops kinda worked when I was down the rabbit hole this morning, GeoPot (following a lead from the Windy forums) didn't, and Euro better than GFS for the fleet's area. There used to be a way to see the forecast time/ frequency, but that may have been with the null school depictions. 

[edit. ignore, redundant. SC nicely handled it above]

I'm thinking the ITCZ..the DMV.. cloud tops ...sunshine ..music .. preferably a band that doesn't have any Vikings in it...Got it. 

PS. If you don't like this  ..throw yourself underneath a bus ..you are way too serious.

• Like 2

Very difficult to select just a few today.

James Blake/Volvo Ocean Race
13_02_171109_AZN_JSB_00432.jpg.d0b156beda819bcbd0331e3053fe0fce.jpg

Sam Greenfield/Volvo Ocean Race
13_02_171109_TTT_SGR_00184.jpg.4b36c625bf196d281e3edd39fe7e0324.jpg

Martin Keruzore/Volvo Ocean Race
13_02_171109_VEH_MTK_00132.jpg.421d4b44e3dd3cb9aa52c3c2ba92d750.jpg

Konrad Frost/Volvo Ocean Race
13_02_171109_SHK_KFR_00117.jpg.0ae7b8129be6385b2f04435e3aa82472.jpg

Sam Greenfield/Volvo Ocean Race
13_02_171109_TTT_SGR_00235.jpg.cfc9ad3fbee46965613a91760fe68a95.jpg

• Like 2

I admit that I have not done any racing at this level, so forgive me for asking.
I was thinking that if you are in a boat(team) that cannot sail as fast as the leaders, wouldn't it make sense to do something completely different navigational-wise?
Like taking a loong hike to west.
I mean you would get away with it, and it could only have an upside, if you can't keep up with the others on boatspeed anyway.
Or is it just so, with modern routing software, that if "computer says no", then you just  do what everyone else is doing and suck it up?

2 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

wouldn't it make sense to do something completely different navigational-wise?

Difficult with the OD.  No one has been able to pull off a flyer yet in the traditional sense (as far as I can remember).  Better to hold on, hope for some compression or a big sun fish in the way.

Things will tighten up more and more each Leg as the boats review each Leg and sort things out.  I'll bet TToP will get a good look at their setup in the vids compared to the others. 

Q:  Is there anything in the rules that would not allow Charles to talk to Josse during the race and while the boats are near each other?

Not that I saw (VHF to freighters, OK in an earlier video, IIRC). I think there is a form they sign, (before and after?) to honour the no private outside assistance idea.Plus the OBR is not part of the team, and would likely not miss that chance for a story.

So, I think it will be OK if they talk on the radio, and will look forward to hearing about that from the OBR

17 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Q:  Is there anything in the rules that would not allow Charles to talk to Josse during the race and while the boats are near each other?

What radio comms have they available? VHF only plus sat phone I guess.

Probably not close enough for VHF.

It will depend what they talk about. I doubt they can talk about the weather for example.

Remember Cocko talking to the helicopter in the S2H a few years ago.

9 minutes ago, DtM said:

It will depend what they talk about. I doubt they can talk about the weather for example.

Remember Cocko talking to the helicopter in the S2H a few years ago.

Can't talk about anything which is performance enhancing in anyway I'd have thought.

Huh.  I thought VOR would have seized on this.  Pretty cool since they are so close to each other and Gitana is a next gen boat.   

"Hello. Hello.  This is Seb calling Charles."

"Ah, oui.  C'est Charles!"  

"Charles, c'est moi, Seb!  Didn't take long to catch you old friend. When are you going to give up that dogs race in those wet, shit boats and come float above the sea with me like gods?"

"Merde."

• Like 3

General sailing instructions prohibit any signal made ashore, internet access, and specifically prohibit obtaining meteorological information from non-OA, exception being public broadcasted AM/FM weather transmission. 

11 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

What radio comms have they available? VHF only plus sat phone I guess.

Probably not close enough for VHF.

"Boat VHF (built in) with cockpit controls Handheld VHF". Also emergency comms in grab bags, and sealed personal comms. The list of OA stuff is here

Interesting differences in tws and sog for the boats, looking at the dashboard right now. Really shows how deeper angles are slower. Scallywag in about 100 twa and the biggest difference - or they magically hit some serious current - in the right direction :)

11 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Interesting differences in tws and sog for the boats, looking at the dashboard right now. Really shows how deeper angles are slower. Scallywag in about 100 twa and the biggest difference - or they magically hit some serious current - in the right direction :)

You got the pro plug in?

4 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

You got the pro plug in?

Nope....just using my iPhone and clicking on each boat in the dashboard. I realize it’s just a snapshot in time but I still really liked it :)

Edit: I’m too lazy to get up from the sofa and get the laptop. It’s my resting season :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Nope....just using my iPhone and clicking on each boat in the dashboard. I realize it’s just a snapshot in time but I still really liked it :)

Worth loading on your lap top. Southern posted it a few days ago - bolts on to the Volvo tracker.

Will look for the link..

Just now, rogerfal said:

Worth loading on your lap top. Southern posted it a few days ago - bolts on to the tracker.

Will look for the link..

Please do! I need to get in shape for the Caribbean 600 so I might as well move a little :) 

• Like 2

Conrad is writing again: now about the sail repair 

someone earlier asked about sewing machines onboard

The sailors in the Volvo Ocean Race have no such luxury. While sewing machines were carried onboard in the past, changing sail technology and elimination of normal spinnakers mean that all repairs are now done with glue and tape. 

1 hour ago, stief said:

Not that I saw (VHF to freighters, OK in an earlier video, IIRC). I think there is a form they sign, (before and after?) to honour the no private outside assistance idea.Plus the OBR is not part of the team, and would likely not miss that chance for a story.

So, I think it will be OK if they talk on the radio, and will look forward to hearing about that from the OBR

Something I remember wondering about last time is whether they've explicitly addressed the issue of drone footage as a performance aid. (Like, for wind-spotting.) I assume they do explicitly outlaw it. Or at least that it's implicitly forbidden under the what-can-the-OBR-do restrictions. Or maybe it's just not useful enough, compared to hauling a crewmember to the masthead, to be worth worrying about.

That makes me wonder, too, about that moment when Sam dropped his camera to help extricate Liz from the J1 sheet during the leeward mark rounding in the last In Port race. Tthat's obviously a case where safety took priority over the "OBR doesn't assist" rule. But I wonder how that kind of thing is covered, rules-wise. And I wondered at the time, watching the video, to what extent, if any, his habitual "mustn't participate; only here to report" mindset might have slowed his reaction time, if just for a second.

1 minute ago, jbc said:

Something I remember wondering about last time is whether they've explicitly addressed the issue of drone footage as a performance aid. (Like, for wind-spotting.) I assume they do explicitly outlaw it. Or at least that it's implicitly forbidden under the what-can-the-OBR-do restrictions. Or maybe it's just not useful enough, compared to hauling a crewmember to the masthead, to be worth worrying about.

That makes me wonder, too, about that moment when Sam dropped his camera to help extricate Liz from the J1 sheet during the leeward mark rounding in the last In Port race. Tthat's obviously a case where safety took priority over the "OBR doesn't assist" rule. But I wonder how that kind of thing is covered, rules-wise. And I wondered at the time, watching the video, to what extent, if any, his habitual "mustn't participate; only here to report" mindset might have slowed his reaction time, if just for a second.

Wondered the same when I saw this

27.6  Any lidar, sodar or other devices capable of measuring wind speed or direction outside a vertical cone in body axes with a semi angle of 30o or any device capable of measuring wind speed and/or direction outside a cylinder formed by the yacht’s sheer-line extending to a point three meters above the masthead of a yacht is not permitted.

26 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Edit: I’m too lazy to get up from the sofa and get the laptop. It’s my resting season :)

Volodia's VOR pro mode

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/vor-pro-mode/aokgkknapagmgagpkkehgagnmnddpgbc

• Like 2