• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

51 minutes ago, random said:

This leg is getting boring.  Is this what happens when you have a one design and the same or similar computer routing packages?  The fleet all following the same model?

It is a OD race like it or leave it, and necessary just for the thing to be still alive in a sea of RTW box rule events, that it is the poor cousin to. Has nothing to do with routing packages or data availability. 

Make the proposed V60 Foiler a box rule great, but doubtful it would  ever happen. We are stuck with what we are stuck with or nothing. The only saving grace is the VOR fan access platform has all others for dinner. Thank Turner for that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Your not wrong there Mif...I'm flabbergasted they put that shit out on the airways for people funding the Scally show to hear just for starters.

They might enjoy the honest version....?  If I paid for a team and they were all bright and shiny people - but performing under par, I'd be pissed.

Re the drag race. I was hoping for some drama in the doldrums. Seperation, big deltas in speed or miles. Wind gods said otherwise, not VOR fault.

This is one design. Think of a close od race. How much passing on a reach? Thats why we sail w-l.

To get passing VOR needs some more morks that will force w or l

Then you will get interesting seperation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Your not wrong there Mif...I'm flabbergasted they put that shit out on the airways for people funding the Scally show to hear just for starters.

Well everybody complained that all the news from the boats was too sanitised last time round, at least this time we're getting the truth.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mad said:

Well everybody complained that all the news from the boats was too sanitised last time round, at least this time we're getting the truth.

The sanitization is still there but done by the sailing professionals on the boat and not the OBR or OA to the same degree. 

MAPFRE DF Vestas and Brunel are tight lipped. Brunel was in a similar frustration position before they made the amazing jump to catch and drop Akzo. But none of the crew were talking. Helps when none of the crew are rookies to org sailing w media. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mad said:

Good point Mad..I'm assuming the Teams don't have access to it for any physc advantage flowing back and forth

..so maybe we are talking reality TV and for some seeing it as a soap opera. For the latter does that mean Witty and Bessie get married instead of the equator crossing ceremony? Who does the ceremony if the Skip is the groom? 

Yeah I get your point and also Mif's where media savy pros are on board...

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Good point Mad..I'm assuming the Teams don't have access to it for any physc advantage flowing back and forth ..so maybe we are talking reality TV and for some seeing it as a soap opera. For the latter does that mean Witty and Bessie get married instead of the equator crossing ceremony? Who does the ceremony if the Skip is the groom? 

YeahI get your point and also Mif's where media savvy pros are on board...

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/1877.html

Not always, this was a fairly open and brutal assessment!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

MAPFRE DF Vestas and Brunel are tight lipped. Brunel was in a similar frustration position before they made the amazing jump to catch and drop Akzo. But none of the crew were talking. Helps when none of the crew are rookies to org sailing w media. 

There is a thin line though, I think it perfectly normal to show some frustration if you are losing miles etc. With Brunel it sometimes is tiny bit much 'all good here' show. It's personalities too I guess. Would sponsors be easily offended by displaying some disappointment and frustration? My best guess is not, they most likely would be by foul play or unacceptable behaviour on the boat etc.

2 hours ago, DtM said:

Hey SS, which stopovers are you going to be at?

At the moment planning Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Auckland, Newport RI, Gothenburg, Hague and maybe doing the last leg as well in the Legends Race.

Thought about Melbourne but only 3 days or so and helping to prep Chinap with a lot of old friends on both the teams and VOR to catch up with

Pity Mark has gone but his replacement is bound to be up to the task.

SS

I've said this before - but the excitement of open box rule was illusory. It was an excitement of not knowing something that was already predetermined.  About as good as checking your lotto tickets after the draw.  Sure you don't know if you have won, but the answer you get is already determined. The VOR winner was determined way back when the initial design choices were made for the boat.  Everything else was just grinding out the inevitable. The sailors had a pretty good idea after the first leg as well. Many teams knew half way through the first leg they had a shitter and were toast, despite the money spent.

Now it is only the sailors on board are the ones that make the difference.  You might complain that it is boring - but that ignores the simple reality that in this race the sailors are working harder than ever before to try to make up tiny distances. Scallywag is 60nm behind and feel gutted? Look back to the VO70 days, some boats were hundreds behind by now. And that was exciting? It was exciting when one of them dropped a mast or started to come apart, but that wasn't racing, that was just spectacle.

The trick is to look at the reality of the race.  There is 10nm across the top 4 after 9 days racing. That is 0.5%. If you were watching an F1 race that would be an exciting race. Yet somehow the complaint is that it isn't exciting when there is constant head to head competition?  Competition where a single mistake will send you out the back of the pack? No, it isn't the VO70 days*. You can't watch the race with the same eyes. It is a race between teams, not a race between boats.

*Like most people here, I love the VO70s. There is nothing to match the sheer menace those beasts have. Some of the recent helicopter shots of the VO65s sort of just started to give a hint of that, but it was only enough to make one remember what the real thing was like. Go back and watch some the glorious footage of the 2005 race again, and you will remember. In retrospect the VO60 is a mistake for just this reason.  There is an intangible fabulousness of the idea of punting those big brutes around the planet that pervades the VOR when they ran with VO70s. That is missing from the VO65, and will be even lesser with the VO60.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yep thats Nicho...I recall making a  comment on that vid, can't see him auditioning for bullshit reality TV.

haha yes, I'm sure AN team will evaluate this whole mistake thing, including team management by Simeon after the mistake, once they high and dry in Cape Town.

Still intriguing to watch though, these raw vids. 

15 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Would sponsors be easily offended by displaying some disappointment and frustration? My best guess is not, they most likely would be by foul play or unacceptable behaviour on the boat etc.

Ell so no more nuding up mid leg..no more promising just to be out of jail to get to the start of the next leg instead of now falling asleep at sponsor fueled stopover functions. Times have  changed.

5 minutes ago, Elisa said:

There is a thin line though, I think it perfectly normal to show some frustration if you are losing miles etc. With Brunel it sometimes is tiny bit much 'all good here' show. It's personalities too I guess. Would sponsors be easily offended by displaying some disappointment and frustration? My best guess is not, they most likely would be by foul play or unacceptable behaviour on the boat etc.

It probably won't scare away an existing sponsor. But it'd impact future potential I think. Brunel hasn't been shy about still looking for funding. Akzo was looking for more to cover expenses AkzoNobel didn't want to be on the hook for. If a sponsor is being courted and is doing their due diligence, who would pick Akzo over Brunel? Or going forward, Bouwe vs ST in Dutch circles?

On the yellowboat we have Abby Ehler, sailing family triathlete media pro giving great interviews knows the ocean and boat and with more media exp than most. Bekking and Capey who plays up the silly grandpa thing now. Anne is a volunteer firefighter who bench presses her bodyweight. Burling the Kiwi wonder who is so well grounded even ppl jealous about his personal accomplishments and accolades can't resist his low key charm. Carlo and Kyle are just good sound lads. Much better good press potential. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I've said this before - but the excitement of open box rule was illusory.....

I stopped reading beyond that...I want to live a long life and refuse to die under my own hand today.

9 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I've said this before - but the excitement of open box rule was illusory. It was an excitement of not knowing something that was already predetermined.  About as good as checking your lotto tickets after the draw.  Sure you don't know if you have won, but the answer you get is already determined. The VOR winner was determined way back when the initial design choices were made for the boat.  Everything else was just grinding out the inevitable. The sailors had a pretty good idea after the first leg as well. Many teams knew half way through the first leg they had a shitter and were toast, despite the money spent.

Now it is only the sailors on board are the ones that make the difference.  You might complain that it is boring - but that ignores the simple reality that in this race the sailors are working harder than ever before to try to make up tiny distances. Scallywag is 60nm behind and feel gutted? Look back to the VO70 days, some boats were hundreds behind by now. And that was exciting? It was exciting when one of them dropped a mast or started to come apart, but that wasn't racing, that was just spectacle.

The trick is to look at the reality of the race.  There is 10nm across the top 4 after 9 days racing. That is 0.5%. If you were watching an F1 race that would be an exciting race. Yet somehow the complaint is that it isn't exciting when there is constant head to head competition?  Competition where a single mistake will send you out the back of the pack? No, it isn't the VO70 days*. You can't watch the race with the same eyes. It is a race between teams, not a race between boats.

*Like most people here, I love the VO70s. There is nothing to match the sheer menace those beasts have. Some of the recent helicopter shots of the VO65s sort just started to give a hint of that, but it was just enough to make one remember what the real thing was like. Go back and watch some the glorious footage of the 2005 race again, and you will remember. In retrospect the VO60 is a mistake for just this reason.  There is an intangible fabulousness of the idea of punting those big brutes around the planet that pervades the VOR when they ran with VO70s. That is missing from the VO65, and will be even lesser with the VO60.

Not a popular view here it seems but well said.  Completely agree.

• Like 2

^^ I agree Miffy, in the end it is some random keyboard warrior at some desk deciding about sponsoring and just thinks with which guy or team he would want to be with or which team he would want to be associated with. Bouwe seems more likeable at first sight than Simeon.

6 minutes ago, Elisa said:

^^ I agree Miffy, in the end it is some random keyboard warrior at some desk deciding about sponsoring and just thinks with which guy or team he would want to be with or which team he would want to be associated with. Bouwe seems more likeable at first sight than Simeon.

Agree this too.  Brunel punching above their weight on sailing and PR fronts.  Axko NoGo punching below their's sadly.

17 minutes ago, Miffy said:

If a sponsor is being courted and is doing their due diligence, who would pick Akzo over Brunel? Or going forward, Bouwe vs ST in Dutch circles?

4 minutes ago, Elisa said:

.^^ I agree Miffy... Bouwe seems more likeable at first sight than Simeon

Easy to say in hindsight now after Paintgate..but last year that competition has already been voted on in the Netherlands by the money men and the results now cast in bronze. Teapot won that sponsorship race on the basis advisors to potential sponsors said Bouwe was going for one race past his best and the money was safer on Teapot.

After Paintgate that whole plan is now royaly fucked. Quite frankly the Paintwagon should really now be bumping paint with Witty and Dee. I have a feeling that may well unfold during this leg unless maybe Salter pulls a cat out of the bag and Teapot and Nicho find their magic outfits.

For lot of Bekking's fans it was painful to watch him being put aside so easily for the new young skipperkid on the block, and some might say there is some sweet revanche (and justice?) served now with Brunel doing pretty okay and the painters still recovering from all the drama. One strong Dutch campaign probably would have been better but apparently that just did not happen. For me, I like Bouwe and wish him a solid and safe eighth round and perhaps show the other big campaigns that it also can be done with no money and decent prep time. Just one more interesting aspect of this round. In the interview on the dock in Lisbon Bouwe sincerely wished AN well and good luck and wanted Brunel and AN being 1 and 2 finishing in The Hague.... what is not to like about this guy?

• Like 1

There were issues in ST/AK before even the mid-leg firing. If public #s re missing $5 million in additional sponsors, there's prob some overlap between Brunel and Akzo circles around the same time. Akzo was a huge early sponsor - but looks like ST didn't do so hot even with his Bermuda expedition (I guess he picked up Emily).

Anyone know the new VOR CEO? Just listened to the Live, and Mark Turner says it's his last day today.

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Anyone know the new Volvo CEO? Just listened to the Live, and Mark Turner says it's his last day today.

Patience - all will be revealed soon

Just now, shanghaisailor said:

Patience - all will be revealed soon

Morning (here) SS. CEO name tomorrow, Live said, Woke up to that, and trying to catch up on the thread, but didn't see anything yet. 

Maybe the CEO will be you? :)  Cheers. Still playing catchup

7 minutes ago, stief said:

Anyone know the new Volvo CEO? Just listened to the Live, and Mark Turner says it's his last day today.

Ok I'd admit it - once they take these wires out of my broken jaw, it'll be me.

To satisfy the VO70 is best crowd, we're adding a twist. VO60 OD vs. VO70 next edition. Non-haul out penalties will be stiff, and DNF/DNS penalties will be enforced. For extra points, a VO70 boat can an additional stealth mode per leg by taking ppl on the ignored list as navigator.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jeronimo2 said:

Sailing Illustrated reports that new CEO is Richard Brisius. Umm.

Thanks. Looking for the link. Clean scooped again.  https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2017/11/14/VOR-One-hears-that-the-new-CEO-will-be-announced-this-afternoon-and-it-will-be-former-Volvo-sailormanager-Richard-Brisius-SWE

7 minutes ago, jeronimo2 said:

Sailing Illustrated reports that new CEO is Richard Brisius. Umm.

If true then at least he has been around twice before and with a solid onshore back ground. Good sign the the Pussywheelers are serious about this thing keeping going post this round.

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

If true then at least he has been around before and with a solid onshore back ground. Good sign the the Pussywheelers are serious about this keeping going post this round.

There was discussion about the management style during the SCA campaign!

• Like 2

In what many will consider is a surprise move there will not be a solo CEO at the tiller of the Volvo Ocean Race from today as, in effect, Atlant Racing is the new President of the Volvo Ocean Race.

Once again, past experience of the race appears on the new President’s resume with some iconic names on the team list with the Scandinavian connection clear to see.

In reality it is a co-President’s position with Richard Brisius and Johan Salen, partners in Atlant Racing who are taking over the helm at the VOR.

Their previous involvements with the race have included (in no particular order) the winning EF campaign followed by the successful Ericsson team which had a ‘1st team’ and a ‘junior’ team which Magnus Olsson famously led to a leg victory into Brazil having started late in Qingdao due to boat delamination problems. Add to thee two, the Assa Abloy project and of course the hard charging Intrum Justica.

Not only were the bulk of the teams successful on the race course the campaigns were some of the most commercially viable in terms of the all-important Return on Investment – the much talked about “ROI” to the team sponsors.

And let’s not forget SCA from the last race. Atlant must be particularly pleased to see the inclusion of female sailors across all the teams with a number of his ‘girls’ going round the planet again.

Certainly their team’s efforts with SCA in the last race where, in spite of the performance on the water, the team appeared to receive a decent level of attention both on and off the water.

I am sure we all wish them the very best of success in moving the Volvo Ocean Race forward, not just with this edition but also to cement the changes that are already starting to be praised as positive for and by those following the race.

• Like 1

Sailing Illustrated are correct in a manner of speaking.

It is a joint president position between Brisius and his partner at Atlant Racing, Johan Salen.

SS

5 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Johan Salen

Thanks SS. First time I've heard of him. Got my reading list for the day prioritized :) 

[edit. New CEO deserves a separate thread, no? Hoping someone starts one. I'll  post the Live transcript of the youtube version there.]

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Isn't Staysail dead...run over in a McDonalds Drive-Through by an old lady with a parrot on her shoulder squarking, "misogynist wanker" ???

hehe. Actually, as I think you know, he's been taking and posting his pics of the TJV in their thread. Some really good stuff. I wanted to be over there looking at the sexy boats rather than these VOR dogs, but this thread has been so interesting boring, as the view counts show.)

Can anyone with a bit of weather routing knowledge explain why Mapfre chose to get West during the last sched? Are they just looking for some lateral separation with DF?

mapwest.JPG

1 minute ago, Hydrogene said:

Can anyone with a bit of weather routing knowledge explain why Mapfre chose to get West during the last sched? Are they just looking for some lateral separation with DF?

The Live brought that up, but thought Xabi and Charles were just winding each other up. Interesting, like the comment about who was in Charles' bunk.

They're sailing ~10° off from DF for better boat speed/probably looking to go west of the high pressure in front of them. There's also a Brasilean current from the equator, not a strong current like Agulhas or gulf stream, but why not. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hydrogene said:

Can anyone with a bit of weather routing knowledge explain why Mapfre chose to get West during the last sched?

Simply foraging for a passing lane to the right before breeze clocks further down the runway. Little to be gained just tailgating the Dong.

I was hoping for Alinghi4E to become new CEO of the Volvo. Thought he's just trying to read up on that sailing thing over here as a preparation... 

:ph34r:

• Like 3

Bit of a giggle at the end of today's Live with some casual banter between Charles and Xabi...like what sail you got up and hullos to each other's crew blah blah and Charles said, say Hi to Sophie and Xabi said oh OK will do she is asleep in my bunk and Charles quickly replies, oh, I don't want to go there. 

Maybe being at the front does it or game faces but both looked super relaxed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Bit of a giggle at the end of today's Live with some casual banter between Charles and Xabi...like what sail you sail you got up and hullos to each other's crew etc and Charles said say Hi to Sophie and Xabi said oh OK will do Charles said she is asleep in my bunk and Xabi quickly replies oh I don't want to go there.

(minor FIFY) That was fun, and the banter about sail configs, and who was driving. Couldn't quickly tell if the sail config details were accurate, or just winding each other up? Eyeballs (measurement of mast height) sound to be more important than AIS numbers :) 

Some insight into Pascal's 'vampire mode' of navigating

Now when the fleet approaches and gets closer to us, the navigator gets all this live 
data (speed, true wind angle, bearing angle and so on) and he can check their 
“modes”, understand which sails they are using and watch them through the binoculars. Since all 
the boats are the same, if you’re going slower in exactly the same 
conditions you’re clearly doing something wrong. 

Then the game starts: 
try a new sail, a crossover that could be slightly better, stack your 
equipment and sails differently, deploy an outrigger, move your people and sometimes…do nothing but drive properly at the right
bearing angle.

I reckon the Scally crew are going to be a formidable team when they return to their 100' after running the VOR gauntlet.  Navy Seal training.

8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I reckon the Scally crew are going to be a formidable team when they return to their 100' after running the VOR gauntlet.  Navy Seal training.

One hell of a way to get in training! 

It's always struck me how few cuts if any these pros get especially without gloves.  I always manage to knick my knuckles on every piece of hardware on the boat.  

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 5.12.04 PM.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I usually try to be civil about most things, but, seriously, this is all getting me down.  The clutter is making the forum painful.

Can everyone just put Mr A4E on ignore and get back to the race.   I just have.

...yeh,, ~2/3 of  page 21 is devoted to such a pained personality,, not from a boat but a fanboy.

Ignore the fanboy sounds great,,, but no quoting OR comments about him,,, and it might even work!!

6 hours ago, random said:

This leg is getting boring.  Is this what happens when you have a one design and the same or similar computer routing packages?  The fleet all following the same model?

The strategy of one designs, something I was very involved with in my sailing,, definitely calls a team to respect the 'group mind', especially of this caliber of nav's. You'd have to have a pretty darn good reason to break out from that consensus,, or be desperate.

Its quite something when such OD racing...  goes.  for.   weeks.  ,,,an interesting phenomena,, if you don't follow too close.   

I can't imagine the answer to this is to remove boat's access to routing.  It would open things up, certainly,,, but make it painfully sad,,,, like removing the arms from a wrestler   :(

5 hours ago, mad said:

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

..so maybe we are talking reality TV and for some seeing it as a soap opera. For the latter does that mean Witty and Bessie get married instead of the equator crossing ceremony? Who does the ceremony if the Skip is the groom? 

Yeah I get your point and also Mif's where media savy pros are on board...

5 hours ago, mad said:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/1877.html

Not always, this was a fairly open and brutal assessment!

I'm getting the idea that intentionally or not,,, the race is quickly becoming a different sort of spectacle,,, something of a cross between Gladiators, extreme wrestling, and a snuff film...... ''let's put 70 of the world's best sailors in identical boats,,  restrict them to identical routing information....    and watch them sweat!     The only thing that would increase this pressure cooker would be if they made the boats slower, and bulletproof,, like a glorified clipper,,,, just to prolong things, and make sure there's no escape!   .....ooooh waidaminute,, they've already done that!!   :huh:    :o

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Yes,,, definitely team Scally is profiling the advantage they had in playing the maxi game... and the crushing challenge they face in OD mode. 

And sure,, they'll be stronger sailors for the challenge if the pressure cooker doesn't 'kill' them first  :mellow:

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

.......  I put clutter here down to a boring as fuck 1,000nm drag race in OD's just at the moment. Blame the GFC, Knut and Farr.

...... and things can only get better with Brisius the Brilliant!

Can't quite see why you bother to spend so much time and effort on it Jack. Better things to do.

MAPFRE did a gentle right turn in the breeze and then came back up above DF, gained a couple nm.  Seems like another good example of sailing a course (the routing) vs sailing the local wind.  Incorporating the AIS info from the lead boat should help that strategy also.  I wonder what tools the nav has for this?

10 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Unfortunately Clean doesn't take messages so I've to find someone else...preferably the Admin of SA.

Are you that fucking desperate, A4E? Why not just find another sand pit?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Damn Vestas lost a lot of ground in six hours. 

I gotta say it's darn nice to see Brunel making reletively forward motion in the fleet.    ...for once.  :mellow:

Looks like Mapfre took Charlie's advice to... 'take a shortcut'   :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, staysail said:

...... and things can only get better with Brisius the Brilliant!

Really?? :mellow:

56 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Are you that fucking desperate, A4E? Why not just find another sand pit?

He threw his toys out in AC anarchy and told everyone he was leaving, much to everyone’s relief. Unfortunately a false alarm. 

Witty's actions are not those of a Leader, they are the actions of someone who thinks everyone else is there to pull strings to make him win.

Not observing the traditions just because he is in a foul mood is disgraceful, real and how it is but the mark of a sulky brat who falls to prices when the going gets tough.

Very disappointing that he does not support his crew.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, random said:

Witty's actions are not those of a Leader, they are the actions of someone who thinks everyone else is there to pull strings to make him win.

Not observing the traditions just because he is in a foul mood is disgraceful, real and how it is but the mark of a sulky brat who falls to prices when the going gets tough.

I’m sure you can relate to that on your own personal experiences. 

7 minutes ago, random said:

Nobody here can really tell how they feel so I don’t think we should judge him. For all we know this was the right thing for them. 

I’m just sad about the videos that could have been. The other videos were quite dull. 

3 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Nobody here can really tell how they feel so I don’t think we should judge him. For all we know this was the right thing for them. 

I’m just sad about the videos that could have been. The other videos were quite dull. 

Looking at the fear in the faces of some, I’m going for the fact that they’re not suitable for public viewing. :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I’m just sad about the videos that could have been.

I'm just glad the whole equator crossing shenanigans are over.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, random said:

I put it down to his not being used to serious OD racing in recent times,,, there's no way to capitali$e on handicap, as he's used to in recent times.   He actually has to sail!  :mellow:

.... speakin of 'social experiments' as he likes to do  ...soon he might learn that the equator 'tradition' is more than that,,, now that Poseidon has his turn.                                                                         Perhaps some 'rather strong breezes' will appear in the next few days  :o

Image result for angry poseidon picture

9 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Well this is the interweb, I can judge his actions if I want to.  Observing tradition would have been used by a good leader as a circuit breaker for shit morale.  Besides,, the gods really may get angry at him being angry and make sure the female team kicks his arse.

I stand by what I said.

2 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

.... speakin of 'social experiments' as he likes to do  ...soon he might learn that the equator 'tradition' is more than that,,, now that Poseidon has his turn

This is true.  Pro athletes are very superstitious.  This sort of thing could really fuck with their mojo.

6 minutes ago, mad said:

Looking at the fear in the faces of some, I’m going for the fact that they’re not suitable for public viewing. :lol:

Thanks for the down vote Maddy, does that make you feel better?  I'd return the complement but I after a couple of clicks decided the system was for pussies.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

This is true.  Pro athletes are very superstitious.  This sort of thing could really fuck with their mojo.

...surely you jest.    :mellow:                   Methinks Random puts it well, below........  

9 minutes ago, random said:

Well this is the interweb, I can judge his actions if I want to.  Observing tradition would have been used by a good leader as a circuit breaker for shit morale.  Besides,, the gods really may get angry at him being angry and make sure the female team kicks his arse.

I stand by what I said.

thanks for the down vote Maddy, does that make you feel better?  I'd return the complement but I after a couple of clicks decided the system was for pussies.

...there's a point fer yer  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

...surely you jest.

I do not jest.  Sailors for sure but if you follow hockey or baseball for example, the pros are extremely superstitious.  It's all very Zen.  

19 minutes ago, random said:

I stand by what I said.

First of all there isn’t a female team in this race. I don’t think turn the tide would appreciate you calling them that, since they are mixed 50/50. 

Second, yes you are free to say stupid things you know nothing about. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

First of all there isn’t a female team in this race. I don’t think turn the tide would appreciate you calling them that, since they are mixed 50/50. 

Second, yes you are free to say stupid things you know nothing about. 

I know just enough about leadership to identify it's absence.   You know nothing about me, but you are judging.  Irony is strong here.

Edit: I feel free to identify the 50/50 team with a female skipper as the female team.  I hope they not only beat Witty, but others as well.  They have my support.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

This is surprising, I mean tired yes, sleepless yes, hungry yes, smelly absolutely..... but bored, really?? make that boat go faster, clean, cook, help, assist, learn, stack whatever, but being bored... someone should remind this lad he is in a race, and given his team's position definitely not all work is done. 

1 minute ago, random said:

I know just enough about leadership to identify it's absence.   You know nothing about me, but you are judging.  Irony is strong here.

I don’t need to know anything about you to say that it’s stupid to evaluate a situation you’re not in.

I’m judging what you say, I don’t give shit about who you are. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Elisa said:

This is surprising, I mean tired yes, sleepless yes, hungry yes, smelly absolutely..... but bored, really?? make that boat go faster, clean, cook, help, assist, learn, stack whatever, but being bored... someone should remind this lad he is in a race, and given his team's position definitely not all work is done. 

Me thinks the 8 person quartered watch schedule is... too easy for him. May have spotted someone on TToP watching tv on a tablet in their bunk. 

20 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I do not jest.  Sailors for sure but if you follow hockey or baseball for example, the pros are extremely superstitious.  It's all very Zen.   

....sure, in the rest of the world,,, but clearly not on Witty's boat. 

....we can only hope they make it through the inevitable storm that's on it's way   :mellow: