• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

28 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I think this must be a bug from VOR.....It can't be a feature to hide the boats from the public? It makes sense to hide from other boats, not from us :(

I don't know if they HAVE to hide for 24 hours either, maybe they can choose to only hide for 1 sked....? But when Turn the Tide did it, they kept the mode for 3 skeds, which somebody said is the maximum.

Not a bug. Dark even to the RaceExperts. More details here

About Stealth Mode:

The boats are given position reports only four times per day, at 0100, 0700, 1300 and 1900 (all times UTC). But once per leg, each team has the option to go into ‘Stealth Mode’ whereby its position report is withheld from the rest of the fleet (and us) for three consecutive position reports. This can be used to tactical advantage to make a break for what is perceived as better wind, or to hit a layline, or choose what side to pass an island, etc. The only restriction is that teams are not allowed to go into Stealth Mode when they are within 200 miles of the finish. The approach to the doldrums is a classic opportunity to utilise this tactic.

• Like 1

Just now, carlosgp5 said:

does this stealth mode hide also the AIS ?

No but Brunel out of range to the others.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

...and unfortunately took whinging and complaining to a new height.

Hopefully in retrospect he enjoyed his voyage around the world.

Twood be a real shame if he didn't.

1 hour ago, schakel488 said:

Latest photo from Vesta showing Stacey Jackson exhausted.
It's a tough job! 

Again, late to the game.  That photo was posted yesterday.  Is it so hard to read?  I think most others here take the time to read scores of posts before posting something redundant.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

...and unfortunately took whinging and complaining to a new height.

He told on television he didmn't had the skills or training to sail a boat with:

A kanting Keel,
A foiling daggerboard.
Turnable masts.
Outriggers.
And a self steering automated helm.

But he was worldchampion in RC44!

@ Southern cross. 
The News about Pieter is old news as well.
It's about the emotion of the phjoto about Stacey Jackson that gives new insight.
The Napalm girl is still actual as well.
So stop whining.
5a12ecaf8218d_Napalmgirl.thumb.jpg.c9ca121656e3280180ef34718220e09f.jpg

• Downvote 13

1 minute ago, schakel488 said:

The News about Pieter is old news as well.

I'm sorry for your troubles.  I really am.  That's not what I was referring to at all.  And if you could delete that photo I would appreciate it.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Taken from the daily Live.  Pretty much the same numbers we came up with yesterday.

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 6.43.29 AM.png

This would become really interesting if Brunel manages to win and Mapfre would come in second. Then game would be really on. I know it might never happen but a girl can dream (what else to do during STM..)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

He told on television he didmn't had the skills or training to sail a boat with:

A kanting Keel,
A foiling daggerboard.
Turnable masts.
Outriggers.
And a self steering automated helm.

You forgot hull, deck, sails and instruments and all he should have been able to appreciate was beyond him before he bought it. ..and that would have been better off in someone elses hands and more deserved. That said his money his prerogative.

• Like 1

Lots of discussion about Heerema in the VG thread. Think we need repeat here? Relevant old news is also what was going on 100 years ago, but I've been biting my tongue. Agee that the war photo should be deleted, or just the link posted at least.

Thanks, Elisa, for getting back on track. Sounds like Capey is betting high on this one.

I think Stealth Mode making the boats dark even for us is cool, though it's odd to have the boat frozen in the tracker. It would be nice if it could get some kind of more-prominent indicator there that no, Brunel has not had a major gear failure or something; they're just offline for now.

On the less-cool side, there hasn't been a video off Dongfeng since this one, uploaded the evening of November 17:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/2598.html

For the last 3 days, all we've had off Dongfeng are still photos. Given that they've been through a really dramatic situation (being late to gybe to the southwest for the big wind, and dropping from what looked like first to fourth as a result), it's frustrating not to see what's happening on board. I hope it's something like an equipment issue, rather than a conscious choice by Jérémie Lecaudey, or something being imposed on him via sponsor/team/VOR sensibilities about not wanting to show the "brand" in a bad light.

I don't want to be too quick to assume it's that last thing, but I'm still upset about not getting any video off SCA for days after they blew out their FR0 in the last edition. I'd hoped that kind of thinking had been replaced by "you want Raw Content? we give you Raw Content!" this time, but maybe there are limits to how far they're willing to take that. Or maybe MT's departure and the specific people who replaced him mean things are shifting to SCA-style information-control mode?

Sounds like a conspiracy theory even to me. Hopefully it's nothing beyond a malfunctioning camera or editing computer or satellite upload link or something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jbc said:

On the less-cool side, there hasn't been a video off Dongfeng since this one, uploaded the evening of November 17:

This count? :) (tweet, not Raw,  ironically just came up)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Heaven forbid if I was a rabid and clueless fanboy the words might, maybe, tentatively, possibly etc would not be in my dictionary.

I'm feeling your Dong pain Shang.

Wrong again Jack, no pain involved. It will be what it will be. And in the meantime it is entertaining racing. I do find your assumption that DFRT is the only team which can make an expensive error or sail into an extended piece of relatively light weather somewhat puzzling.

I suspect you are correct as these boats all have sailors on them I know and respect and for different reasons I would be happy to see any of them win the leg but the fat lady hasn't even put her make up on yet.

To repeat Stu B.'s comment - and he's done a few more ocean miles than either of us -  "it's never over until it's over".

One things for sure I will be at my computer regularly for the next few days.

SS

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jbc said:

It would be nice if it could get some kind of more-prominent indicator there that no, Brunel has not had a major gear failure or something; they're just offline for now.

Hmmm. Show each of the 3 STM positions as as a dotted line ending with an icon on the Great-Circle projected track ?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, stief said:

This count? :) (tweet, not Raw,  ironically just came up)

Interesting. I don't remember seeing any of that footage in the Raw Content videos, but it looks (from the conditions and the gybe angle) like it's from the last few days. If so, that would mean there's nothing preventing shooting, editing, and uploading video from the boat. Which would make my conspiracy theory (that video is being shot and uploaded by Jérémie, but is being kept off the Raw Content page by the VOR office for reasons of their own) at least a little stronger.

I still don't think it's likely that that's what's going on; the real explanation will probably turn out to be something more mundane. But I am curious.

I haven't had time to watch the Daily Live updates in a while. Have they made any mention of DF? Any mention of the lack of video off the boat? Seems like the kind of thing they might notice and comment on (unless, again, it's actually part of the New Cruelty resulting from the management changeover, in which case they'd presumably downplay/ignore it as much as possible).

17 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I worried Shang is going to start smoking with all this pressure on the Dong..including coming from one that has gone into hiding.

What do you mean START smoking ha ha. Andrew is a wiley old bird so don't be surprised by any moves he makes under cover of darkness ;-)

It is going to be interesting in a few hours to see where they pop up. In the meantime all the others can do is keep the pedal to the metal

SS

JBC, have you seen the video of Pascal breaking the news to the crew?

Leg 02, Lisbon to Cape Town, day 16, afternoon on board Dongfeng. Jacuzi times for Horace while grinding. Photo by Jeremie Lecaudey/Volvo Ocean Race. 20 November, 2017.

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 8.29.38 AM.png

5 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

What do you mean START smoking ha ha. Andrew is a wiley old bird so don't be surprised by any moves he makes under cover of darkness ;-)

It is going to be interesting in a few hours to see where they pop up. In the meantime all the others can do is keep the pedal to the metal

SS

tsk tsk. another dinosaur (I switched to vaping, mostly to save my keyboard from the ashes). Did Pascal quit the Gauloise? Seem to remember it was mentioned once last time :) 

11 minutes ago, southerncross said:

JBC, have you seen the video of Pascal breaking the news to the crew?

I don't think so. Was it on Twitter? FB? I've been pretty much limited to the Raw Content videos lately; between that and occasional dips in here I haven't had time for more obsessing.

On 11/19/2017 at 3:14 AM, Herman said:

Wow, vid recommended. Pascal reads on deck numbers for the leading boats scribbled on paper in the nav station earlier. The reaction from the crew: "MAPFRE eighteen miles ahead?" Driver; "eighty nine miles". Bombshell. Pascal gets bleeped 3 times for saying that they are fucked which seems a fair assessment of their situation atm.

Ah, found it. Thanks. So much content to obsess over, so little time...

• Like 1

Race Experts‏Verified account @RaceExperts  30m30 minutes ago

Beautiful South Atlantic cold front. Unfortunately for the trailing boats @volvooceanrace,

High Pressure will re-establish and potential big dive south can be the only escape.

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 8.46.03 AM.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stief said:

Not a bug. Dark even to the RaceExperts. More details here

umm,,,whaaat!?    Glad I read here first before looking at the tracker,,, already got th'sheittes this morning,, can't imagine what would happen if I first saw Bruney stalled out back where it's shown!!  :o

I can only hope that Brunel is using the feature... because it's there,, and to worry the competition,,, rather than to actually play a big move against the group consensus of strategy.  :mellow:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, schakel488 said:

So stop whining.

There’s a real, alive human being in that photo and it’s not for you to make fun about in this way. I doubt that you would be able to look her in the eyes and tell her how you decided to use her pain to make a point. 

Now please, if you’ve been away for a while and want to say something about the race, please update yourself before you post. It will make your life so much easier. Just browse through the last page or something, it doesn’t take very long :)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jbc said:

It would be nice if it could get some kind of more-prominent indicator there that no, Brunel has not had a major gear failure or something; they're just offline for now. 

...there could be a specific marker on the tracker page,, indicating stealth mode,,, and some very basic data showing,, like windspeed, boatspeed while still keeping us in the dark of actual position.

When did Bouwe go into hiding, anyways?  :mellow:

Looking at the "we're fucked" video as posted on FB, that's clearly an edited video package from Jérémie uploaded off the boat around the same time as these stills showing the same events:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/2657.html

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/2658.html

But it (the video) doesn't appear on the Raw Content page, and there have been no videos posted from DF since then. So... speculating here... maybe someone in the VOR hierarchy decided that posting 3 f-bombs in one video violated the Very Important Family Friendly Rating on which all OBRs had been briefed before departure, and so video-uploading privileges were revoked for Jérémie until he could be properly disciplined in Cape Town.

I dunno. I still think that's a stretch. But it does look weird. I tried stirring the pot with the Race Experts; I'll see if anything comes of that:

• Like 3

schakel488 said:
So stop whining.

17 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

There’s a real, alive human being in that photo and it’s not for you to make fun about in this way. I doubt that you would be able to look her in the eyes and tell her how you decided to use her pain to make a point.  

Yes Schakel,,, that's over the top,,, take it down!  

I saw an interview of 'napalm girl' a couple of years ago,, in fact here it is! 

How about you listen to the interview,, meet the real human, and try to humanize yourself a bit!?

I'd suggest there is no drama in sailboat racing compared to war.  :mellow:

• Like 7

Speaking of Dee, TTOP message rightly retweeted recently. (Apologies if posted earlier. Different from the garbage bin incident posted earlier, IIRC)

• Like 1

In the daily show today Abby announces Brunel are going south in stealth mode after the afterguard had a long discussion about the merits of a northerly and southerly route... south was less risk.  They hope to make a break and that no-one will go with them.

Why is she telling us this?  Surely there are ways for this to get to the other boats and largely negate the benefit of going stealthy?

10 minutes ago, Dacron said:

In the daily show today Abby announces Brunel are going south in stealth mode after the afterguard had a long discussion about the merits of a northerly and southerly route... south was less risk.  They hope to make a break and that no-one will go with them.

Why is she telling us this?  Surely there are ways for this to get to the other boats and largely negate the benefit of going stealthy?

Good point.  The race docs about communications TO the boats are pretty strict.  Mark Turner's experiments with opening up the communications OFF the boats is a stunning part of the Race this time. Hard to know what will happen with issues like you've mentioned (and more, like appropriate language, PC content, team mode setups, etc.)

Another "we'll have to wait and see" .

16 minutes ago, southerncross said:

JBC, speaking of which, haven't seen a video of Witt in a while either.  Many pics and vids of Dee in all her glory.

Heh. He's been showing up, but it's true that a lot of the piss & vinegar seem to have been knocked out of him. I've found myself grudgingly admiring his response. In this video, for example:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/2377.html

It's a new place for our team to be in, getting our head kicked in sched after sched and not really knowing how to fix it, not knowing what's wrong. Just gotta keep trying, mate. Becoming a little bit embarrassing. Hopefully the next sched will be better. Just gotta keep looking forward. Stop the bleeding, and then think about how we're going to gain. It's quite hard. Bloody hard, this race. And the opposition are bloody good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dacron said:

Wonder if they're being really stealthy and sending off fake info to throw off the other teams?  Prob not likely but it's possible.

27 minutes ago, Dacron said:

By disclosing that they are going supposedly South Brunel is fully aware of the possibility that this information may get back to the other boats.  The other teams know that Brunel knows that the teams may get this information so now the teams are left to question if the South decision is really a Northern Call under the guise of a Southern call.  However, because the teams know that the Southern call may be a Northern fake for a real Southern maneuver, the question becomes was this all done to go North...or South.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

umm,,,whaaat!?    Glad I read here first before looking at the tracker,,, already got th'sheittes this morning,, can't imagine what would happen if I first saw Bruney stalled out back where it's shown!!  :o

I can only hope that Brunel is using the feature... because it's there,, and to worry the competition,,, rather than to actually play a big move against the group consensus of strategy.  :mellow:

Looks like if you rewind the tracker just a little bit you can see where Brunnel is.  Top image is current positions bottom image is rewound one notch showing Brunnel 130 nm further along still in second place.  Gaining on Mapfre but losing a little to Dongfeng and Vestas

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

By disclosing that they are going supposedly South Brunel is fully aware of the possibility that this information may get back to the other boats.  The other teams know that Brunel knows that the teams may get this information so now the teams are left to question if the South decision is really a Northern Call under the guise of a Southern call.  However, because the teams know that the Southern call may be a Northern fake for a real Southern maneuver, the question becomes was this all done to go North...or South.

You really should try and lower your caffeine intake mate... :wacko:

Just now, Elisa said:

You really should try and lower your caffeine intake mate... :wacko:

There was a Monty Python video to go with that but I couldn't find it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dacron said:

4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

By disclosing that they are going supposedly South Brunel is fully aware of the possibility that this information may get back to the other boats.  The other teams know that Brunel knows that the teams may get this information so now the teams are left to question if the South decision is really a Northern Call under the guise of a Southern call.  However, because the teams know that the Southern call may be a Northern fake for a real Southern maneuver, the question becomes was this all done to go North.  

yah,,something like that,, LOL.

I'd actually be surprised if they went outside the current status quo...  have all yer mom's basement routers on here seen any practicable reason to significantly vary course yet?

1 minute ago, couchsurfer said:

have all yer mom's basement routers on here seen any practicable reason to significantly vary course yet?

Last I saw they were following in line with Mapfre.

Saw big high developing ahead of their tracks last night. HAven't checked this morning. Getting lazy, awaiting  RaceExperts to say. Meanwhile, more from TBRU

11 minutes ago, Slap Shot said:

Looks like if you rewind the tracker just a little bit you can see where Brunnel is.  Top image is current positions bottom image is rewound one notch showing Brunnel 130 nm further along still in second place.  Gaining on Mapfre but losing a little to Dongfeng and Vestas

Untitled-1.jpg

...that's nutz,,, a glitch!?

In any case,, the dashboard shows that as well,, showing Brunel with DTL of 31.7     37.5 for Vespa,  both moved up 4nm on Mapfre.

Don't know who has been at the helm at Brunel but what a straight line south! perhaps they just put it on autopilot :)

30 minutes ago, stief said:

RaceExperts answered:

Who are these so called "Race Experts"?  I thought that was all of us???

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

A VNR, sorry if already posted:

Hi Renn, appreciate your postings! Will you be in Scheveningen again in 2018 so we can have a SA reunion like in 2015?

49 minutes ago, Slap Shot said:

Untitled-1.jpg

not_quite_as_secret.gif.ad71bccf7217dfa660fcb9c804921125.gif

"Right. So, not quite as secret as we'd hoped."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dacron said:

All internet access is channelled via the RO. Free internet acces is prohibited. Wifi signal could be a weak in between South America and Africa.

Just now, Herman said:

Hi Renn, appreciate your postings! Will you be in Scheveningen again in 2018 so we can have SA reunion like in 2015?

Thanks, do I need to tell you that I appreciate your routing posts?
Yes, we're planning Göteborg -> Scheveningen. Would be great to see you and family again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Hi Renn, appreciate your postings! Will you be in Scheveningen again in 2018 so we can have SA reunion like in 2015?

Ohey! The SA official party will of course be in Gothenburg. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Ohey! The SA official party will of course be in Gothenburg. 

Put me on the list.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, southerncross said:

@Herman reposting the picture that many here are offended by isn’t helping.  Maybe just quote the text?

Good point. Unfortunatly, I was too late to edit again and to remove the pic, sorry.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stief said:

I hate stealth mode. So Bouwe, Capey and Burling (!) have decided to go dark.

I think it is so cool they went stealth, especially with Mapfre being the slowest boat in the fleet at last report. Vila and crew must be pulling hairs about now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

Don't know who has been at the helm at Brunel but what a straight line south! perhaps they just put it on autopilot :)

That line looks awful straight...Wonderin' if you're not really seeing their route.

Regarding TBRL going STM, agree that it is very strange to keep the general public and race idiots like us/me in the blind. Does not help feeding the social media channels with a void in the tracker either. So thanks VOR for the quick follow up/glitch.

• Like 1

What is the world coming to?

Leg 02, Lisbon to Cape Town, day 16, on board Vestas 11th Hour. Photo by Martin Keruzore/Volvo Ocean Race. 20 November, 2017.

Charlie Enright and his favorites gloves.

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 11.19.14 AM.png

43 minutes ago, Hugh Jorgan said:

Who are these so called "Race Experts"?  I thought that was all of us???

Wake up, Mark Turner turned Race Control into a bunch of Sailing Anarchists. Minus the village idiots. Be proud that we are a good example to follow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Herman said:

Regarding TBRL going STM, agree that it is very strange to keep the general public and race idiots like us/me in the blind. Does not help feeding the social media channels with a void in the tracker either. So thanks VOR for the quick follow up/glitch.

...what the heck!?... not working for me anymore!    anyone!?   

56 minutes ago, jbc said:

Hey, we've got another DF video on the Raw Content page, yay!

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/2841.html

Still no DF videos for several days before that, including the triple-f-bomb video, but it's progress.

...yet more to show how close the 'experts' are following the punters here.    :mellow:

but why, why, correct the stealthview we had!!??    I guess the have to do -something- to keep ahead with what's known here!   <_<

1 minute ago, couchsurfer said:

........''spend million$ on a boat,, but best gloves are still only $2.95.  priceless.'

I had to look it up. Found them for $2.27. 

https://www.esafetysupplies.com/products/atlas-fit-300?gclid=Cj0KCQiAl8rQBRDrARIsAEW_To8msJomHvR-PK-yk8_HAKTtm99JdHmpg4jy7-CgvwRCkOEHT201oAUaAgK6EALw_wcB

3 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

.........''spend million$ on a boat,, but best gloves are still only $2.95.  priceless.''  :)

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 11.19.14 AM.png

I must admit that I prefer the ones with a Zhik logo and a pretty pink line on top. 

It’s totally worth the extra 50 dollars. 

:D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I think you tumbled from the rail here, dragging a war victim into your argument.

Edit @schakel488 Never gave a minus before AFAIK, so that is truly a first not to be proud off. Except for that certain person that was kicked off SA.

Really no need to quote a post with an offensive photo including the photo...

6 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Really no need to quote a post with an offensive photo including the photo...

Your point was made earlier by SC.

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Who's on first?

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

Your point was made earlier by SC.

Excuse me... I didn't see SC's response or your response to his response before I responded. Slow reader.

I hope this response is timely.

I'll try to read faster.

:mellow:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Excuse me... I didn't see SC's response or your response to his response before I responded. Slow reader.

I hope this response is timely.

I'll try to read faster.

:mellow:

No worries. Schakel won’t read any of this until Friday anyway. 

29 minutes ago, Herman said:

Wake up, Mark Turner turned Race Control into a bunch of Sailing Anarchists. Minus the village idiots. Be proud that we are a good example to follow.

So if you weren't notified about the new job with VOR is it safe to assume you're one of the SA village idiots?  Oh shit.

1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

It's like walking into a room, farting, then quietly walking away as if nothing happened.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Jorgan said:

It's like walking into a room, farting, then quietly walking away as if nothing happened.

More like gutting a small animal.

1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

Schakel? Okay, now I'm really confused.

I was responding to Herman's response to Sheckel's post with photo included and my response to his, (photo included), response which had already been responded to by SC and acknowledged by Herman in a response that preceded my original response.

Or, something.:blink:

Not going to respond to posts for awhile until the coffee wears off.

• Like 1