• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

10 minutes ago, stief said:

And nahnah naboo-boo, we've got the best tools" :) And they're trash-talking MAPF too

I noticed the Race Experts like to try to keep things going especially when it's a foregone conclusion such as "Will they go North or South of the Exclusion Zone?" (Leg 1) They even suggested we vote on that one.  "Look out. There's a big high pressure ahead.  Could be trouble for the lead boats."  "Will they stay East or go West across the doldrums?"  

• Like 1

Just playing around a bit. Blue marble in true colours with wind vectors (scale top right in meters/second), and visible clouds. It's a big soup down there.

post 1/2

soup compressed.jpg

Leg 02, Lisbon to Cape Town, day 16, on board Vestas 11th Hour. Photo by Martin Keruzore/Volvo Ocean Race. 20 November, 2017. Tony Mutter driving full speed

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 2.22.48 PM.png

• Like 1

Just got in from work and have scanned through the last 6 hours of posts.

Keeping my comments on the race.

What is the tracker glitch that keeps cropping up please?

My understanding as I posted earlier is that we can see where Brunel is up till 12.59 plus seconds (scroll back from 13.00) and the next time we get to see them is the 07.00 report tomorrow morning 21 November. The last the other boats saw was at 07.00 and they get to see again at 07.00. Have I missed something?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but unless a boat comes within VHF range of another vessel are not all communications routed through race control (presumably for vetting or at least as evidence if an issue arrises) and therefore how can they receive information regarding Brunel from outside?

Am I typing gobbledegook or are there several anarchists running around like chickens with their heads cut off??

7 hours ago, southerncross said:

Again, late to the game.  That photo was posted yesterday.  Is it so hard to read?  I think most others here take the time to read scores of posts before posting something redundant.

Remember which idiot you’re addressing, you’re expecting way too much from him. 

7 hours ago, schakel488 said:

He told on television he didmn't had the skills or training to sail a boat with:

A kanting Keel,
A foiling daggerboard.
Turnable masts.
Outriggers.
And a self steering automated helm.

But he was worldchampion in RC44!

@ Southern cross. 
The News about Pieter is old news as well.
It's about the emotion of the phjoto about Stacey Jackson that gives new insight.
The Napalm girl is still actual as well.
So stop whining.

You’re truly fucked in the head!!

<_<

2 minutes ago, mad said:

LOL.  Mad.  Please hide that photo.  Reread the posts.

From Herman:

Just hid my post quoting that picture, did not know I could :rolleyes:

Thx @stief for the tip!

•  
  • Like 1

Go the Vestas!  This morning they spoke about making some adjustments because they were a bit slower than Brunel and the other boats.  They seem to have either made the correct adjustments, found more pressure or both.  Seeing where Brunel ends up in the mix tomorrow will be very interesting.  I'm hoping for Vestas to win but they have some work cut out for them.  Given the current political climate of the U.S. right now we don't have a lot to be proud of, would be good for morale (mine at least) to see the Chuckster and Marky Mark get another win.

Just now, southerncross said:

Remember the movie Groundhog day? :lol:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mad said:

<_<

"Again, late to the game.  That photo was posted yesterday.  Is it so hard to read?  I think most others here take the time to read scores of posts before posting something redundant."

3 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Ohey! The SA official party will of course be in Gothenburg. 

Is this an invite only event? Sign me up. :)

19 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Brunel has lifted the curtain...Capey will be a very grizzly bear...not good.

Please be nice Jack and help a girl and elaborate please.

10 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Just got in from work and have scanned through the last 6 hours of posts.

Keeping my comments on the race.

What is the tracker glitch that keeps cropping up please?

My understanding as I posted earlier is that we can see where Brunel is up till 12.59 plus seconds (scroll back from 13.00) and the next time we get to see them is the 07.00 report tomorrow morning 21 November. The last the other boats saw was at 07.00 and they get to see again at 07.00. Have I missed something?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but unless a boat comes within VHF range of another vessel are not all communications routed through race control (presumably for vetting or at least as evidence if an issue arrises) and therefore how can they receive information regarding Brunel from outside?

Am I typing gobbledegook?

It's not the typing of the gobbledegook that is the issue,  it is the thinking of it that actually causes the  brain damage :-)

3 hours ago, familysailor said:

Really no need to quote a post with an offensive photo including the photo...

Apologies, I think I’m guilty of the same offence. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dolphinmaster said:

It's not the typing of the gobbledegook that is the issue,  it is the thinking of it that actually causes the  brain damage :-)

Hmm - not helpful

8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

From Herman:

Just hid my post quoting that picture, did not know I could :rolleyes:

Thx @stief for the tip!

•  

Edited and done. Apologies. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jorgan said:

Go the Vestas!  This morning they spoke about making some adjustments because they were a bit slower than Brunel and the other boats.  They seem to have either made the correct adjustments, found more pressure or both.  Seeing where Brunel ends up in the mix tomorrow will be very interesting.  I'm hoping for Vestas to win but they have some work cut out for them.  Given the current political climate of the U.S. right now we don't have a lot to be proud of, would be good for morale (mine at least) to see the Chuckster and Marky Mark get another win.

Remember the movie Groundhog day? :lol:

Yeah. Do you feel like Bill Murray or the Groundhog?

I'm going with Groundhog...

34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Brunel has lifted the curtain...Capey will be a very grizzly bear...not good.

14 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Please be nice Jack and help a girl and elaborate please.

Tracker shows Brunel out the backdoor...or is that another ghost??...too early for me.

PS..It is a ghost that had data but then moved I think after 2nd look and that data now gone...very haunting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Yeah. Do you feel like Bill Murray or the Groundhog?

I'm going with Groundhog...

Think I'll have to go with the hog too.  What I do know is if the groundhog comes out of his hole and see's that picture we'll be forced to see it every hour on the hour for the next 2 months. 

Southern

If you have a minute can you explain what all the noise about the tracker is please.

Also what's the issue with Brunel declaring information about their intentions to the world during their stealth period.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jorgan said:

Think I'll have to go with the hog too.  What I do know is if the groundhog comes out of his hole and see's that picture we'll be forced to see it every hour on the hour for the next 2 months. 

Maybe Shakelfritz will delete or hide his post when he returns.

At least when the third leg starts ther's less chance of seeing it in that thread!

1 minute ago, rogerfal said:

Southern

If you have a minute can you explain what all the noise about the tracker is about please.

Also what's the issue with Brunel declaring information about there intentions to the world during their stealth period.

I'm still trying to get the bleach out of my eyes.

Tracker issue:  I believe it was showing a straight line track from it's last reported to a current calculated but not necessarily accurate position. (correct me if I'm wrong).

In the Live Report they told the interviewer they were going South all the while jumping into Stealth Mode.

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I'm still trying to get the bleach out of my eyes.

Tracker issue:  I believe it was showing a straight line track from it's last reported to a current calculated but not necessarily accurate position. (correct me if I'm wrong).

In the Live Report they told the interviewer they were going South all the while jumping into Stealth Mode.

Think this was a strategy of some sort to trick the rest of the fleet?  Or they were tired and accidentally gave up Brunel's plan?

5 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Think this was a strategy of some sort to trick the rest of the fleet?  Or they were tired and accidentally gave up Brunel's plan?

• Like 1

Good luck with the Optrex...

Right now the tracker shows Brunels position at circa 13.00UTC. Earlier when the 13.00 positions were reported Brunel was absent but if one scrolled back 1 minute they were there to see and that's where they are still showing up now. So I  guess whatever happened this afternoon has been fixed.

What I'm thinking some do not understand is that all communications to the boats go via race control (perhaps even being vetted before they are passed on) so if any information did get through re Brunel the boat receiving it would be in a sticky position when they went before the jury.

Probably time I went to bed.....

7 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

So pray tell how would this information be communicated to the fleet?

2 hours ago, stief said:

While trying to find the Stan Honey Powerpoint presentation used in Terra's linked vid mentioned often above, did find this pdf. Good reminder of the thrill the VO70's gave the world then, and other good tidbits. Further links appreciated. Cheers.

Thanks Stiffler. Terra posed the question of teams wanting Stan Honey on board now. In his own words when at 51 the oldest in that edition and now 12 years ago, his answer then to going again was. 

“The experience was worth millions, but I’m not sure I’d pay a nickel for another minute.”

Interesting reminder team AMRO and connection to this race. The same Dutch sports marketing guy involved in that team also helped Teapot hook the Paintballers.

3 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

I must admit that I prefer the ones with a Zhik logo and a pretty pink line on top. 

It’s totally worth the extra 50 dollars. 

:D 

You’re a marketing dream come true. :lol:

36 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

"Again, late to the game.  That photo was posted yesterday.  Is it so hard to read?  I think most others here take the time to read scores of posts before posting something redundant."

Apologies, when I’m busy and have to play catch up, I answer and respond as I see some of them, not all, just the ones that require a response. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Thread drift.  The new AC concept foiling mono.

Love drift....also would love the engineering job on those adjustable foils and the replacement contract. 

In the Virtual Regatta they cut the actual wave size in the Gulf in half or more??

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Love drift....also would love the engineering job on those adjustable foils and the replacement contract. 

In the Virtual Regatta they cut the actual wave size in the Gulf in half or more??

The weather boat will NOT hesitate to stay clear when called up now.

Kinda like an ocean going deli slicer, or sushi maker.

2 minutes ago, Varan said:
  • Imagine the speculation here if the entire fleet went stealth at the same time:ph34r:

At the most critical time.

14 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Thread drift.  The new AC foiling mono.

Thanks for the heads up Cross, maybe much like the next VOR toiler...

Love drift too, but maybe go http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/185328-the-next-boat-2020/&page=10  

Or to the front page, or stay here, whatever.

BTW, the lazy foil is a weapon and can be loaded with water balloons to keep Ainsly off your back...

4 minutes ago, Varan said:
  • Imagine the speculation here if the entire fleet went stealth at the same time:ph34r:

Twood be like an entire hen house all being decapitated at the same time......... the hens that is, not the house.

28 minutes ago, southerncross said:

That will give "dial-up" an entirely new meaning.  [/drift]

11 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Thanks for the heads up Cross, maybe much like the next VOR toiler...

Love drift too, but maybe go http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/185328-the-next-boat-2020/&page=10  

Or to the front page, or stay here, whatever.

BTW, the lazy foil is a weapon and can be loaded with water balloons to keep Ainsly off your back...

Just for you Flakey.  Our very own Nicho.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Just for you Flakey.  Our very own Nicho.

Yes, hope that takes off too.  Will there be a Masters for Nich, Capey, and Witt ?

39 minutes ago, Varan said:
32 minutes ago, southerncross said:

At the most critical time.

Am in a critical mood, so that could be exactly 24 hrs before the finish...(but is not allowed I believe).

...time for all crew to check in with their families,, prove they've still got all their fingers.   :mellow:

m107251_crop110015_800x800_proportional_1511220904154F.jpg

m107234_crop110015_800x800_proportional_1511206503FC60.jpg

Before anyone starts wetting themselves about seeing these mono/trimarans in a VOR, consider these TWS/BS numbers and the concept of self-righting...then think Southern Ocean. 

AC_75_3070.thumb.jpg.bead0817d9dad6fdd84266be61942e52.jpg

AC_75_1477.thumb.jpg.4172800b29a1870be297cfc4d1fff38e.jpg

The Deflectors explained!  I was never able to find a close up on a Southern VOR Spar.  Only the Wally below.

21827760_469044363482600_4844065408661061632_n.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Thanks, saves diving into the cesspool of AC anarchy. 

There must have been some awesome drugs consumed to come up with that one! :o

I hope they go for it, the first seatrails will epic entertainment to watch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Yes, hope that takes off too.  Will there be a Masters for Nich, Capey, and Witt ?

It's off..... boats are mostly built and all signed up... starts Feb.... They are not as stable as the vids make out.... lots of fast crashes...

This Brunel thing is killing me.... what Sydney time do they surface...?

It is good boat race to follow so far, and the media work from everyone involved is pretty cool.

Two more updates before Brunel comes out of hiding? This could really work for them if they can hold on to the pressure longer than the trio more North. Seems to me at the moment that the dreamed off express to Capetown will make an unscheduled stop in the coming 12 hours. But, that is from rather unsophisticated analysis.

Turn the Tide and Skallywag may really get into in a world of pain by the looks of things; especially, if the boats further ahead don't loose the wind or for significantly less time than the two backmarkers. I like Witt's comment, "never has so much effort gone into to sixth place in my life."

If you haven't seen it yet here's a link to a really good and complete article from the VOR website talking about predicted weather and strategies to the finish.  Apologies if it's already been posted, I looked but didn't see it.  Maybe I just missed it.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/10384_Leg-2-Strategic-Review-Part-3.html

Picture below is predicted weather 2-3 days ahead from now (1300 Nov 23rd) and shows the dreaded wind hole the fleet may very well find themselves in.  If Brunel actually did dive south it's presumed because they want to catch a new low which could give them a direct magic carpet ride to the finish.  To me it still looks ugly regardless which way you come in.  But that's exactly why I'm not a pro navigator.

.5a13ad6ba4e1c_ScreenShot2017-11-20at8_33_15PM.thumb.png.62d5aaaf1a50064e5e6a5e03140e7ed7.png 

Mapfe is really playing this leg smart. Get in front of vs11 and dong and stay between them and cape town. If Brunel wins and Mafre are 2nd, so.. Mapfre will now be leading overall and would have gained on their two closest rivals. Solid. If they happen to get Brunel between them and their closest rivals (scorewise), better yet. Donger needs to stick with them (and hopefully pass :), but at least not have boats between them and Mapfre. In any case, this leg is far from over, and I like DFRT's speed when the breeze is up like it should be next leg.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mad said:

Is this an invite only event? Sign me up. :)

I'm pretty sure that I can't hide my enthusiasm when I'm there and will post something official :)

VOR tracker is not updated in the ios app, forss tracker is. Seems TBRL STM and gamble backfired, they are in 4th now :(

B8DAC51D-5CFF-4A11-B823-8F6CA9EB13C9.jpeg

6 hours ago, mad said:

Thanks, saves diving into the cesspool of AC anarchy. 

There must have been some awesome drugs consumed to come up with that one! :o

I hope they go for it, the first seatrails will epic entertainment to watch. 

...double ballasted foils. Maybe it could make it's way into offshore sailing one day....yep, I guess designs should be discussed in one of the other threads

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not sure why Capey went dark with his northern approach when other than Vila, he would have visible to SciFi and Pascal most of the time anyway?

They just wanted to try that button too.
It has turned out quite silly this Stealth mode :mellow:

This Stealth mode shit is bullshit.  If I wanted to go that way I'd play the game.  One step too far.

16 minutes ago, jonas a said:

...double ballasted foils. Maybe it could make it's way into offshore sailing one day....yep, I guess designs should be discussed in one of the other threads

So how much diesel do they need to work?

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not sure why Capey went dark with his northern approach when other than Vila, he would have visible to SciFi and Pascal most of the time anyway?

Turns out the only ones in the dark were us the public. Vestas and DF will have known where Brunel was for quite some time. In latest vid from Mapfre, Tuke also suggests they expect Brunel to end up with the other boats, almost as if they had some sight or knowledge of Brunel’s position as well. 

13 minutes ago, random said:

It's all explained in the Virtual thread, go there !

44 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Looks like they changed their minds half way through. Went South first and then came back up North. Didn't something similar happen last time round on the approach to Capetown?

Dongfeng almost sneaked into second. Mapfre's lead now the same as Dongfeng had before they sailed out of the breeze.

23 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

It's all explained in the Virtual thread, go there !

There are virtual threads?  Not real threads?  Wow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonas a said:

42 minutes ago, random said:

I doubt a thread with their application for offshore use will pop up anytime soon and in the AC thread all they will be be babbling on about is manual hydraulic power and maybe electric hydraulic top up. Putting aside whether the concept is even suitable for offshore use, starting with additional weight, auxilliary engine required for both making power for extended use over long legs and emergency propulsion all possibly stopping the thing from getting airborne. Then there is what happens in anything other than flat water. Expensive firewood? That all aside the concept would be relatively easy to adapt.

Offshore RTW racers are already electric hydraulically powered up to operate a canting keel. With that gone and that existing hydraulic provision freed up plus any additional frequency requirement attached to the trimming ballasted foils, no doubt the concept could be accommodated, though the legs may have to shorten if the fuel payload gets to high.

Probably not much more can be said at this juncture until a AC prototype hits the water.

Hope Brunel post some video today re the last 24 hours. Twood be interesing to hear their thinking as to why they did what they did, stealth and the re-position..

46 minutes ago, random said:

Real sailors don't need diesel engines to power the boat.

Where do think these boats get their electric and electric/hydraulic power from now, magic?

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Where do think these boats get their electric and electric/hydraulic power from now, magic?

...although it would be quite fun if there were a rule to force you to run the boat engine on the same liquid, as you run your "own engine"