• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jorgan said:

A couple days ago as I watched video footage I was thinking how fun it looked and how I could totally see doing that.  The last 24 hours every time I watch a clip I keep thinking "Holy crap, that looks brutal and takes a special kind of person to thrive in those conditions."

Hah. I'm just the opposite.  I can't stand the light, hot stuff.  I want to slit my wrists.  Had my 7th birthday on my first equator crossing.  The whole Neptune ordeal.  It took forever.  Wasn't a breath of air for days.  Very traumatic.

• Like 2

Since we are in a reflective mood waiting for the next update...

and where those on the water now seeing first light, 

and who have adhered to the golden rule of "you get them at night"...

might have prospered more than others.

Wherever possible, put people on hold.
Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
and despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.

Remember The Pueblo.
Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate.
Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI.
Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
Especially with those persons closest to you - 
That lemon on your left, for instance.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Would scarcely get your feet wet.
Fall not in love therefore. It will stick to your face.
Gracefully surrender the things of youth: birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan.
And let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
Hire people with hooks.
For a good time, call 606-4311. Ask for Ken.
Take heart in the bedeepening gloom
That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.
And reflect that whatever fortune may be your lot,
It could only be worse in Milwaukee.

• Like 7

Love it, Jack.  Best thing you've written to date.  Did you write it?  

Disclaimer:  I've had a couple so not exactly sure I understood it but I grasped the meaning in a Bukowski - ish blur.

“what matters most is how well you walk through the fire” 
 Charles Bukowski

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Finally a freaking update.  Eeeech.  Akzo really bit it. 

oooph,,,   auto-pilot indeed.   :mellow:

...am I reading that right??.....   ''next report in 23:35:08''    :o

Just now, couchsurfer said:

''next report in 23:35:08'' 

It's a glitch that pops up after an update.  It will go away.

.....''the beatings --will-- continue to continue.... until the morale improves.....''   :(

m107343_crop110015_800x800_proportional_1511294704FCBF.jpg

m107345_crop110015_800x800_proportional_15112947088275.jpg
m107309_crop110015_800x800_proportional_15112761133C11.jpg

That last update through me a bit.  I routed every one, then looked at the results and went Huh? So went back and realized hey had not updated the pos reports. Doh!

Anyway here are some projections.

21close.JPG

21big.JPG

21summary.JPG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Thanks for putting the names of the boats on the route.

No route has predicted Mapfre placing anywhere but first for a few days now and by a good margin.  Looks like these places are set.  Maybe Brunel can come back on Vestas.  Never say it's over, right?

So, Akzo just that little bit to slow and fell off the bus? Witty should be estatic. :) New tuning partner and all of that.

Mapfre is looking good. One shift - and then not parking under table mountain............
DF also looking good, blunder fixed as good as it gets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

That last update through me a bit.  I routed every one, then looked at the results and went Huh? So went back and realized hey had not updated the pos reports. Doh!

Great, and thanks for showing us what to watch for. Best news is that all should have daylight arrivals. Interesting that these projections have AKZO, TTOP and SHKS taking the southern option. The nav topic on all three today was that big upcoming decision, and all hoped the high changes.  

Re AKZO's take, jbc  summarized the vid in his spreadsheet. Nice, and thanks.

Slomo shot of a dark albatross gliding in their awake. Emily, below, getting out of her bunk: "It's cold." Jules, at the nav station, talks about how they're still riding the front, but have high pressure a few days ahead. Simeon repairs some piece of gear, hands it to someone, and talks about the upcoming winds and strategy. "In general we've been sailing the boat well." Nicho, on the stern: "Number one challenge is how we're gonna get ahead of some of the boats ahead of us." Talks about how boats can get stuck in the approach to Cape Town. Slomo of spray coming into the cockpit.

https://volvooceanrace-2017-18.s3.amazonaws.com/videos/cropped/m107312_13-02-171121-azn-00001_HD.mp4

9 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Hitch so the big spliffsky...a minimum DTG of 1,100nm makes it impossible for the southern split to stage an upset with say 200 extra miles to sail, regardless of the conditions.

images (13).jpeg

3 minutes ago, stief said:

Heh. "Forwad". I invent a lot of words when typing those. :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stief said:

Great, and thanks for showing us what to watch for. Best news is that all should have daylight arrivals. Interesting that these projections have AKZO, TTOP and SHKS taking the southern option. The nav topic on all three today was that big upcoming decision, and all hoped the high changes.  

...how can y'all put much weight on these speculguesses,,, when the router's themselves complain of constantly changing conditions outside of what's forecast?   :mellow:

1 minute ago, couchsurfer said:

...how can y'all put much weight on these speculguesses,,, when the router's themselves complain of constantly changing conditions outside of what's forecast?   :mellow:

Fewer and fewer days out.  Routes agreeing more.

18 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

Can't. As I said, they tell us what to watch for better than blustery assertions. For example, when Conrad cockily called big gybe the leaders would take for . . .  2100 tomorrow, I laughed. Didn't you? Sheesh. 

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Hah. I'm just the opposite.  I can't stand the light, hot stuff.  I want to slit my wrists.  Had my 7th birthday on my first equator crossing.  The whole Neptune ordeal.  It took forever.  Wasn't a breath of air for days.  Very traumatic.

Maybe it's a 'grass is greener' thing :D  Strong winds I'm ok with, we get those a lot locally.  It's also winter hat, foulies, thermals almost Every. Single. Fricken. Day. in SF.  Hate to sound ungrateful, we do have fantastic conditions.  But I dream of sailing in warm weather constantly, it's borderline obsession.  So, I'm watching the VOR guys near the roaring 40's and figure it's gotta be like 50 times worse.  Those are some incredibly wet looking boats too.  

I'm not a boat builder but seems like they could have found a way to not sacrifice speed for a slightly drier ride, no?  Did the designer not get the memo this was an offshore race series?

42 minutes ago, Hugh Jorgan said:

I'm not a boat builder but seems like they could have found a way to not sacrifice speed for a slightly drier ride, no? 

They could definitely have a faster and drier platform ...however the never ending debate then is whether they would be good for two or more rounds of the orange and or not cost too much more?

The next edition foiling 60's will answer that question and hopefuly settle the debate once and for all.

• Like 1

Maybe someday they'll be able to keep dinghy sailors dry too.  Little Opti bubbles bobbing around.  Sheltered Skiff sailors. Forget the trapeze.  Best not let them go out at all if if gets too windy.  Otherwise, they might capsize and get all wet.  

15 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Maybe someday they'll be able to keep dinghy sailors dry too.  Little Opti bubbles bobbing around.  Sheltered Skiff sailors. Forget the trapeze.  Best not let them go out at all if if gets too windy.  Otherwise, they might capsize and get all wet.  

...just stay on the couch,, so much less fuss!    :)

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Hitch so the big spliffsky...a minimum DTG of 1,100nm makes it impossible for the southern split to stage an upset with say 200 extra miles to sail, regardless of the conditions.

images (13).jpeg

No matter how much one smokes.  It would seem very unlikely.

Is that your personal stash?

15 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Nah confiscated it off one of the kids for being 2 seconds late for dinner.

I always drug test my crew.  That way I know who's holding out on the good shit!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, southerncross said:

It's a glitch that pops up after an update.  It will go away.

...still showing 20hrs.   mebbe theyre serious.

Kinda quiet without,,, errr,,, wazizname.  :mellow:

....here's a good fanboy piece from Shanghai.... from the FP...

They say in the jungle that the only thing more dangerous in the jungle than a tiger, is a wounded tiger. Clearly the pride of Charles and Pascal on Dongfeng was wounded when, having led Leg 2 of the Volvo Ocean Race virtually all the way from leading the fleet out of Lisbon, a wrong decision leading to sailing too far towards the high pressure threw them out the back door.

Even Pascal was heard to say on the VOR Daily Live “we’re completely fucked”.

The mark of true champions however, is that when they are down they don’t stay down, they pick themselves up.

I have seen Olympic runners knocked over on the last lap, pick themselves up, then pass everyone to take the gold. Football teams 3-0 down come back to lift the trophy – that is the mark of champions.

Dongfeng have not yet re-taken the lead but Mapfre must be looking over their shoulder as the boys and girls on the East Wind (Dong Feng) have just posted the fastest 24 hour run of this race so far, surpassing 530 Nm for the first time taking the wind out of the sails of, not only some of the other teams, but also several pundits who immediately wrote them off for a podium finish.

To give an idea of how the whole team is pulling together to reduce the deficit, and who knows, perhaps even get to Capetown first, below is straight off the boat from Dongfeng skipper Charles Caudrelier: 

Our speed is the work of the whole Dongfeng crew. The mood is better on board after our fantastic come back. When I said two days ago that we can maybe make a comeback, I was not sure I really thought it was possible. But I wanted to ensure that we didn’t lose hope and I also always believe that when you sail well and work hard you deserve a bit of luck.

The luck was that the situation – until tomorrow – favoured the back of the fleet. It was important to come back before today and we have done it. Our speed over the last two days has been amazing; it could have been even better if we had not had a small issue two days ago when we lost a few miles. But this speed is crazy. In the last race, we were the king of the light and medium air but we were not fast in heavy weather so we worked really hard to find solutions this winter and this investment has paid off.

I can hardly believe how fast we are sometimes. It reminds me of the old times on Groupama when we were one knot faster than everyone else at times.

But this speed is the result of the efforts of the full crew and the big work we did this winter and then with MAPFRE in August in Sanxenxo. It is also a result of the efforts of the new sailors in Dongfeng Race Team who have brought us their knowledge and their driving skills. Stu and Daryl are just amazing drivers at high speed.

On the cockpit display we have our performance presented as a percentage of the boat’s polars and, I can tell you, it’s not easy to drive after Stu – “Mr 102%!” But this is a good reference and all our drivers now reach this target.

This afternoon Marie was helming and I was watching her, pushing more than anyone. I decided to give up my turn on the wheel and do the grinding for her. But now, ahead of us, there is a high pressure ridge to cross and there are decisions to make. I missed one opportunity a few days ago – I will not miss the next.

This is the last phase of the race if we forget the terrible bay of Cape Town where you can lose so much, just two miles from the finishing line.

Notice also, that unlike some skippers, Charles takes full responsibility for the error that cost them so many miles.

With a leader like this and a crew, obviously, so willing, keen and able to follow makes them a danger to their competitors, whatever the situation.

Shanghai Sailor

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Varan said:
44 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:
2 hours ago, southerncross said:
5 hours ago, Forestdawg said:

Android users, ever notice how sometimes quoted posts show up when you try to post something and you cannot delete them? What's up with that. No option to clear. Delete, backspace do not work, so please ignore.

Anyway, for all you sleepy heads, the lead has now been cut to under 20 nm, less than one hour at current speeds. This leg is far from over.

ding.thumb.jpg.cc9298594bc997f1ef563e0644ffbe1c.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Varan said:

Android users, ever notice how sometimes quoted posts show up when you try to post something and you cannot delete them

You have hit quote or + button, uploaded to your reply box but then changed your mind. Simply go out of the page come back touch reply box and they appear from cache in your reply box. The hit "clear editor" button and they are gone.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Akzo must have broken something

Boat Speed, TWS, TWA down smells like a horrible light patch sitting over and following them or if TWS incorrect then maybe busted sail plan.

PS you caught me mid edit Nor

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Speed down TWA down smells like busted sail plan.

They have the same speed as Scally and TtT, in slightly less wind, so it doesn't look broken.

But of course, these numbers on the tracker are just a screenshot....

7 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

But of course, these numbers on the tracker are just a screenshot....

It's 1/2 hour strip chart so a case of a very unkind wind god on their arse for quite a while looking at position.

6 hours ago, Forestdawg said:

^^ "Deteriorata" - if I remember correctly. Those days are fuzzy now.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deteriorata

There are videos, the full audio version is quite awesome. Thanks for the memories, Jack.

Thanks for that context. Wow, punching cards references too, what a timewarp!

• Like 1

Well on that topic I am willing to admit that I am a fluke of the universe, & I have no right to be here, pretty sure the universe is laughing behind my back (thanks Dr. D the only reason I know this).

Skally gettin some action in the back section, Vestas & Brunel finally finding a little up-tic in speed?  Donger still looking strong but gettin some heat from Vestas.  Mappy needs to look behind them to port and do something before there isn't anything behind them to see.  Just a couple days ago who would have thought someone other than Plastics or Skally would be in the race to not be DFL?  Umm, Akzo, wtf?  Wonder if Akzo has a broken spreader, I hear you can drift around for like 5 months if those things break. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 11.38.28 PM.png

On 11/15/2017 at 2:40 PM, NORBowGirl said:

Unless you have spent time with him you can't really tell if he's a good leader or not. You can of course have opinions, everybody does, but stating it as a fact is still stupid.

59 minutes ago, Herman said:

Wow, punching cards references too, what a timewarp!

To right Herman. People wondered why we always seemed to get the weather right in my early years. On a trailer behind the car I had a IBM Mainframe and on the morning of the start would punch cards and compute the best route using a customised Fortran program I had written in maths at school.

Anyway the Russions got wind of my mathamatical and weather genius and slipped me a few bucks plus a new boat to calculate Yuri Gagarin's entry point and re-entry angle into the atmosphere so he didn't BBQ himself on the way home or land in New York or Texas. Went home to a hero's welcome behind the Iron Curtain but the bastards didn't mention me and scrubbed me from the history books. Interestingly they didn't approach me prior to that to sort one out for the Chimp, so obviously they had a cage full of them wearing tin foil waistcoats.

NASA also wanted me to do the same thing for John Glenn but my price of an evening with Jacki Kennedy didn't go down too well with them, or Jack. 

I must say it was a joyous day when IBM invented the PC, Gatezy the mouse; and I could leave the trailer at home.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Shang is not hiding behind a bush there.

No point hiding behind a bush when the evidence is so compelling. I may be wrong but as they are taking 2-3 miles out of Mapfre every sked and with a deficit of just 18 miles and more than 6 skeds to go then I would say Mapfre should start looking over their shoulder wouldn't you?

However it is still Mapfre that are the ones to beat but it is not as "All over" as some assumed a couple of days ago is it Jack? ;-)

As Stu on DF said - "It's never over until its over"

Also please drop this fanboy shit. When rooting for a bunch of guys where you know pretty much all of them (including the shore team) the title doesn't quite fit. Surely with over 18,000 posts Couchsurfer you have had enough practice to come up with something better than that? 18,000 posts? Don't know how you find the time! 

SS

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

So profound.  That's changed my word view.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jorgan said:

Wonder if Akzo has a broken spreader, I hear you can drift around for like 5 months if those things break. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 11.38.28 PM.png

Akzo is still doing 19.7 knots so no broken spreader over there.
And I guess the crew can fix a broken spreader in not a spare on board.

Mapfre doing very steady. It ain't over till it's over but they have the advantage.

18 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Also please drop this fanboy shit. When rooting for a bunch of guys where you know pretty much all of them (including the shore team) the title doesn't quite fit.

I'm considering doing the same for my favorite team: write an article and put it on the frontpage, as if it's the whole of SA's favorite team.

:) 

• Like 3

Go for it...

To be fair to SS he does post on the front page from time to time.

Dongfeng are certainly not giving up and that's keeping this leg exciting... Advantage still with MAPF.

3 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Go for it...

To be fair to SS he does post on the front page from time to time.

Dongfeng are certainly not giving up and that's keeping this leg exciting... Advantage still with MAPF.

I don't have a problem with his articles, I like them  - I was just trying to be funny :)

1 minute ago, rogerfal said:

Sorry - I did give you a like

a 69?

2 minutes ago, random said:

a 69?

I should be so lucky. In any case I'm a septuagenarian now, still a kiss ass though :)

Funni stuff if you are an aussie

38 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

... When rooting for a bunch of guys where you know pretty much all of them

NORBowGirl

I'm considering doing the same for my favorite team:

How is it going in VOR - still not in Cape Town??? 

...well Gabart have been criscrossing the Indian ocean and also been fishing a little I think- so he still has  some miles to Cape Leeuwin ...

• Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, Elisa said:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw.html

Any of you keyboard warriors have some understanding of Spanish? Xabi saying anything worth sharing? He does not seem too worried about the hunters behind him by the look on his face. 

...''first in last out,,, don't you remember from last time you twits, we slow now,, then they slow, we fast,,, you mustah seen it 1000 times1  Pay attention for once.''

...yer welcome   :)

4 minutes ago, Elisa said:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw.html

Any of you keyboard warriors have some understanding of Spanish? Xabi saying anything worth sharing? He does not seem too worried about the hunters behind him by the look of his face. 

He is confident keeping the leadership at Cape Town. 25 nm advantage and he thinks it can be a bit more tonight. Says  they are enjoying conditions (30 knots wind, good seas), trying not to break anything.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Lenny is rooting for the Dong too. 

Shangster don't get too prickly ...we are just teasing, pulling your leg ..."taking the piss"...easily confused by many English 1st lauguage speakers with "taking a piss"..or if you're a Kiwi "taking a puss".

However if you are a Barry Manilow fan and don't like this, please don't let on, because we would then have to "really take the piss".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

No point hiding behind a bush when the evidence is so compelling. I may be wrong but as they are taking 2-3 miles out of Mapfre every sked and with a deficit of just 18 miles and more than 6 skeds to go then I would say Mapfre should start looking over their shoulder wouldn't you?

However it is still Mapfre that are the ones to beat but it is not as "All over" as some assumed a couple of days ago is it Jack? ;-)

Also please drop this fanboy shit. When rooting for a bunch of guys where you know pretty much all of them (including the shore team) the title doesn't quite fit. Surely with over 18,000 posts Couchsurfer you have had enough practice to come up with something better than that? 18,000 posts? Don't know how you find the time! 

SS

....chase them across the world,, yer either got a coin rolling,,, or about the biggest fanboy going!  :mellow:

...notice I said it's a 'good fanboy piece'     Root ON!!   :)

44 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

Again? Why is it not on front page of SA?

Have a look at the front page you idiot<_<

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schakel488 said:

Akzo is still doing 19.7 knots so no broken spreader over there.
And I guess the crew can fix a broken spreader in not a spare on board.

I don't know, two of the most accomplished sailors in the world and in one the finest vessels to ever set sail had a broken spreader and drifted from Hawaii for 5 months.  If they couldn't fix it no one can.5a15576a6510c_ScreenShot2017-11-22at2_53_51AM.thumb.png.eced3e921844b578281fde49f87e560f.png

3 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

I'm considering doing the same for my favorite team: write an article and put it on the frontpage, as if it's the whole of SA's favorite team.

:) 

Go ahead! If it is well enough written I am sure the Editor will post it. You will find that I write about what I see and hear, no hype and just what I hear or surmise, no deliberate nastiness, I try to research what I write, (2nd verifications if possible unless a direct quote) and no one line gain-sayings.

If Mapfre sent stuff to me I would write about them also. (or even Sallymuffin if I felt it usable) Go ahead and write, it would save me covering the VOR as much. Have to be good enough for the editor to pass though :-) and so far there have been over 200 FP articles to my name on the FP. Articles mind you, not one line attempted put downs.

SS

2 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

....chase them across the world,, yer either got a coin rolling,,, or about the biggest fanboy going!  :mellow:

...notice I said it's a 'good fanboy piece'     Root ON!!   :)

Good to have some banter going couchsurfer. big difference between being a fanboy and knowing most of the team on a personal level and therefore wanting your friends to do well. As I know crew on Brunel and Mapfre also I would love to get material from them too so I could write about them also. Perhaps when they get to HK or Guangzhou I will tap Capey or Rob up for an interview.

Coin rolling? You mean I could get paid for writing stuff? That would be a new concept, what have I been thinking!! Ha ha

SS

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Akzo must have broken something

DPNbghFW0AAr1W5.jpg:large

Share price took a beating as well.

The boat might be called Nippon Paint or PPG before the race is over ;)

Mapfre is increasing its lead at the last sched. It seems they are sailing 10 deg higher (130 deg) than DF, Vestas and Brunel (140 deg), which translates into more speed, while going exactly in the same direction.

Thanks for the Pro tools for Chrome by Volodia, great stuff!

TWA.JPG

speed.JPG

• Like 1

Wow Mapfree looking strong being further south with a gybe in the bank if the breeze starts getting soft and Sibley and then when it clocks south and strengthens they can leverage their way home. 

As for next 2 groups of 3 looks they are going to end up with each others paintwork scrapes maybe the Paintspot out the back without a blemish if their pressure luck doesn't change soon. 

The CharlieCharles armwrestle gets tighter every update,..pass Shang the valium someone.

Pretty interesting last hurrah.

• Like 1