• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 2 Lisbon to Cape Town

Some do stuff, others just talk about it.

I'm starting to give Witty the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe there are issues with the sponsors.

No one wants to see people having a tough time, but business is business.

About time they produced the goods.  What the fuck is Clean doing?  Can't he add something here?

Wait, isn't our own Front page Brian Whitbread Hangcock not originally from Cape Town ? 

He's got to be down there and we will soon have the full long insight story of Witty's Scandlewag on the Front page that is impossible to find. Someone please post it in this thread, if possible in abbreviated form please.

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Contemplating whether you should join Aliguist overboard maybe??

It's tempting.

1 hour ago, schakel488 said:

Try sailing with Dirk de Ridder Mad, you'll feel the same.
He's an excellent trimmer. huge personal strength, Tactics,  perfect trim and things like that.
He's a nice guy as well.

And your point is?????????????????

5 hours ago, random said:

I still want to hear what Witty had to say at the dock.   I'm sure I can learn heaps from him about resilience and dealing with teams of people.

2 hours ago, mad said:

I’m sure you can, absolutely loads to learn, almost like starting from the beginning

1 hour ago, schakel488 said:

Try sailing with Dirk de Ridder Mad, you'll feel the same.
He's an excellent trimmer. huge personal strength, Tactics,  perfect trim and things like that.
He's a nice guy as well.

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

You're talking about the same Dirk as on Pirates in 2005/6, are you?

Is he Mad, Lead, Jack, a Wreck or what's your point ?  I am confused...

Schackleguts and Fiji if you haven't worked it out already between legs is now killing season in this thread for hunting down idiotic, nonsensical and unrelated posters. Some posters even eat their own socks in the next week or so. You are both now in the X hairs of some I summise so a quick heads up.

Many of us here are time and bandwidth poor so scrolling through complete rubbish, having regard to time zone build up and large file image posts in particular, (Couch listen but Shakespeare excluded) is a PIA. Particularly for those only accessing via Smarty Phones or even Sat Phones in the middle of fuckin no where where each post is a kidney to trade.

My only suggestion is be circumspect posting. Newbies are welcome, genuine questions are welcome, RC idiots are not. Don't be another Alinguist or Randumb please.

This is a Clean Seas Race, no rubbish allowed.

Cheers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Schackleguts and Fiji if you haven't worked it out already between legs is now killing season in this thread. Some even eat their young. You are now in the X hairs of some.

Many of us here are time and bandwidth poor so scrolling through complete rubbish, having regard to time zone build up, Shakespeare excluded is a PIA. Particularly for those only accessing via Smarty Phones.

My only suggestion is be circumspect posting. Newbies are welcome, genuine questions are welcome, RC idiots are not. Don't be another Randumb.

Cheers.

Am trying to be X hairs and circumspect as much as I can, maybe it's your phony reading comprehension or shear ignorance, so try again to answer my genuine questions about Witty and Dirk, if you like. Concise enough and Claro, no ? 

Drinking my Chamomile thee now, brush my teeth, kiss Mum goodnight, and see you tomorrow with the Front page story. 

Cheers to the killing season !

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I don't care about the pissing contest here, but there is just nothing recent of Scallywag at VOR, Twitter, or Fuckbook.

Something must have happened for sure, like too drunk, diarheaaaa, some black eyes, someone jumped over the side, or just a simple murder.

Technical problem?  Nah...

It's late Monday morning in Cape Town, someone must know or have seen something.

Is there really no Anarchist on site again ?

Enying the read but hold the conspiracy’s . All crew fine and healthy just super tired from a 7000 match race.

As for scallywag Facebook and Twitter there run by wittys partner currenty as the full time social media lady had to go back to , so no one covering at the moment, just when she has the time I think

4 minutes ago, Comsdown said:

Enying the read but hold the conspiracy’s . All crew fine and healthy just super tired from a 7000 match race.

As for scallywag Facebook and Twitter there run by wittys partner currenty as the full time social media lady had to go back to , so no one covering at the moment, just when she has the time I think

Good to hear and thanks for chiming in, now I can sleep in peace.

Keep us posted when there is an interview please.

20 minutes ago, Comsdown said:

Correct and Scallyskirts social media media platform is shit. They don't even have a active Twitter account last time I looked.

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Correct and Scallyskirts social media media platform is shit. They don't even have a Twitter account last time I looked.

https://twitter.com/scallywaghk?lang=en

Not much to see, as Comsdown said. Just something about vision, maybe you should check it out. G'night.

56 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Many of us here are time and bandwidth poor

I have to say, that is not the impression one gets.... :P:lol:
But it's all good, in general your comments are useful :)

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Many of us here are time and bandwidth poor

20 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

I have to say, that is not the impression one gets....

EricTheRed I'm a lucky one ..I may be very remote but I'm uber wealthy...well in this neck of the woods anyway where I'm the only reflective person with many non-reflective servants.

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

EricTheRed I'm a lucky one ..I may be very remote but I'm uber wealthy...well in this neck of the woods anyway where I'm the only white person.

Take care, it's a jungle out there
how_may_we_serve_you_403435.jpg

Go easy on him Mad ..my guess is the Uncles have given him a bit of a greater family workout after dark.

Little wonder he has a arse gait on him like a wagon with one wheel and eats everything through a straw.

Poor bastard.

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Am trying to be X hairs and circumspect as much as I can, maybe it's your phony reading comprehension or shear ignorance, so try again to answer my genuine questions about Witty and Dirk, if you like. Concise enough and Claro, no ? 

Drinking my Chamomile thee now, brush my teeth, kiss Mum goodnight, and see you tomorrow with the Front page story. 

Cheers to the killing season !

You are right Fiji Bitter, Dirk was trimmer aboard the Pirates if the Caribean 2004/05 and Brunel in the 2014/15.
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_de_Ridder
Some people try to acquire censorship status in this forum.

15 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

Some people try to acquire censorship status in this forum.

Some people try to post meaningful stuff in this forum. Where do you stand schakel on that endeavour?? Fore or against??.

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Some people try to post meaningful stuff in this forum. Where do you stand on that endeavour??

Don't be silly Jack, I recently sailed with a VOR veteran and some people are interested in how professional sailors sail.

Excellent schakelmeister ..you found and used the word "silly" as a challenge...I now have hope you won't regress anymore into blithering shit stuff. I think my thread cleanup work today is now done. 

I'm exhausted but now look forward to a clean and mean Leg 3 thread, sans idiots.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Southern no pics of the Scally crew in jail and or the boat being hoisted on a ship to go back to Lisbon?

Nada.  

Here are some photos of Scally at the dock.

Finished! What a race. Feels like we've been matchracing for 20 days... Hugs, beer & bed are all I need right now! Thank u for the support!

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

Watch dock interview with Annemieke Bes (In Dutch). Please translate.

Thanks Southern for all the pictures and the Dutch interview.

Annemieke is a bit leg-lagged and seems to ramble a bit. Got an old fashioned Dutch-English dictionary here from one of the boats and picked up a few words like: very nice, unreal, wild, fighting hard, learned a lot, hoped for better, Europe to  Africa via the equator etc.

And strangely she says they "missed the boat", which boat I wonder, maybe the 5 a day ahead ? 

Simeon seems a bit more composed and did like the tight racing. He blames a squall for for losing contact and then a different interpretation of the models, it happens, he says.

Maybe Shukkel with the help of Dirk can do a more confusing translation, or Herrman can run it through his OpenDutch program, or wait and see when the Witty opens up on the daily show if there ever is one...

This is from the only news item left on the Volvo site about Scally.  In hindsight it is very telling.

"I sat with David this evening as the latest report came in. It was clearly not what anyone had hoped for and he looked at me and asked ‘explain to me how I go on deck and say this’?"

So if he has a reluctance to relate bad news, magnify that a few times for a reluctance to talk at the doc.

Here a straight google translate of a Netherlands TV (NOS) article:

Skipper Bouwe Bekking was in a promising position shortly before the end, but had to let go of the top three. "Three days before Cape Town, we had to leave 10 miles to the head, which was 10 miles 100 miles and that is quite frustrating, but that is also sailing."

For Simeon Tienpont, skipper of AkzoNobel, the contrast was even greater. His boat was still in charge a week ago. After a number of strategic choices were unpacked, a real final sprint was needed to still take fifth place. "I am satisfied with the fifth place", according to Tienpont. "Everyone is on board for a podium, and of course it is disappointing to have to fight for the fifth place, and I am very proud that we succeeded."

Competitive Annemieke Bes was sixth with its Hong Kong boat Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag. Her team also had trouble finding the right wind. "We missed the boat a few times."

P.S.  Best Dutch was again Carolijn Brouwer, who finished second with the Chinese boat Dongfeng.

And here a g-trans of some Dutch presser, with the only words of Witt seen or heard sofar:

Witt and his crew resisted the attack of Caffari's team in the nick of time, after having sailed the Turn the Tide on Plastic for almost the entire stage. Scallywag passed the finish line with just a little longer than a minute lead. "Everyone was good, nobody gave up", said Witt, who praised his crew. "We are solid and have character. We must stay together, by fighting and getting better. "

17 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

And here a g-trans of some Dutch presser, with the only words of Witt seen or heard sofar:

Witt and his crew resisted the attack of Caffari's team in the nick of time, after having sailed the Turn the Tide on Plastic for almost the entire stage. Scallywag passed the finish line with just a little longer than a minute lead. "Everyone was good, nobody gave up", said Witt, who praised his crew. "We are solid and have character. We must stay together, by fighting and getting better. "

There it is Random..... Witty has spoken....?    

I may get some info in 6-8 hours when my mate (Witty shore crew)  wakes up....

54 minutes ago, random said:

This is from the only news item left on the Volvo site about Scally.  In hindsight it is very telling.

"I sat with David this evening as the latest report came in. It was clearly not what anyone had hoped for and he looked at me and asked ‘explain to me how I go on deck and say this’?"

So if he has a reluctance to relate bad news, magnify that a few times for a reluctance to talk at the doc.

Just saw Fiji's sig.  That's all Witty had to say, others do it, what's so hard about that?

"we are fucked, we are fucked, completely fucked"

14 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

There it is Random..... Witty has spoken....?    

I may get some info in 6-8 hours when my mate (Witty shore crew)  wakes up....

Uh huh ... standing by on channel 16.

filing-nails-at-work.jpg

• Like 1

Poor randumb must be beside himself by now. As Mad speculates are they all in jail after a savage night on the piss?? Is Scallyskirts currently being loaded on a freighter to go back to Lisbon? 

It really is a case of find Falstaff. This might keep randumb's mind off it.

Been following the Vwell the news black out on witless is pretty understandable 

WHAT IS IT WITH THE FAWKWIT AND VIDEOS ??

volvo were singularly unimpressed by the bagging he gave the boats  women sailors and others before the start 

that the infamous "Scrotum painting Video had the Volvo mangement again squirming and the hk sponsors wondering why they would pay money for this sort of misogenous rubbish 

the womens lib sailing lobby has gone viral on twitter .... demanding another rule  69 enquiry ....

others worry about what info the drone feeds back ??

Scallydragon whose media skills are clearly zero hasnt helped either . her  hk video from san fernando  showed all the breachs of the rhkyc SI'S 

21 minutes ago, Wandering1 said:

the womens lib sailing lobby has gone viral on twitter .... demanding another rule  69 enquiry ....

Their energies would be better employed talking this lady up, though Dee hardly needs it. 

Truly a class act amoungst class acts and that in marketing and long distance sailing speak, ticks all the boxes...then again I'm a sucker for Pommy and Polish accents.

https://mobile.twitter.com/volvooceanrace/status/934574370768506880/video/1

1 hour ago, Wandering1 said:

Ohh and I forgot linky please on that or did you just pluck that one out of your fat arse?

First post too I see so wonder whose sock drawer you suddenly jumped out of??

50 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ohh and I forgot linky please on that or did you just pluck that one out of your fat arse?

First post too I see so wonder whose sock drawer you suddenly jumped out of??

Confirmed verbally by Dawn Riley at the Yacht Racing Forum. Haven't seen it in writing anywhere though.

25 minutes ago, Potter said:

Confirmed verbally by Dawn Riley at the Yacht Racing Forum. Haven't seen it in writing anywhere though.

Potter Dawn with her CV and in her mid 50's is better placed than many to comment upon the standing of women in sailing. 

However if she was serious about demanding a Rule 69 (sport in disrepute) enquiry about a pre-race 5 second 5 word video brain snap of Witts, and which he probably regrets, or anything else she conjours up,  then Dawny needs to grab a cup of tea, take a Bex and have a good lie down.

She is doing no one any favours with that nonsence and just sulling her stirling reputation of supporting women in sailing.

images (16).jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wandering1 said:

Been following the Vwell the news black out on witless is pretty understandable 

WHAT IS IT WITH THE FAWKWIT AND VIDEOS ??

volvo were singularly unimpressed by the bagging he gave the boats  women sailors and others before the start 

that the infamous "Scrotum painting Video had the Volvo mangement again squirming and the hk sponsors wondering why they would pay money for this sort of misogenous rubbish 

others worry about what info the drone feeds back ??

Scallydragon whose media skills are clearly zero hasnt helped either . her  hk video from san fernando  showed all the breachs of the rhkyc SI'S 

I wonder under what rule the 69 hearing could be? Certainly more tenuous than other recent incidents. It was just distasteful and I wonder what authorities would have made of it had it been in an onshore office environment.

I would pay no attention, all he does is make the other skippers look even better and remember the old cliché "there is (ultimately) no such thing as bad publicity - so don't give him any.

SS

15 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

I would pay no attention, all he does is make the other skippers look even better and remember the old cliché "there is (ultimately) no such thing as bad publicity - so don't give him any.

Yep.. with that Rule 69 brain fart of Dawn's  if it occured.

No such thing as bad publicity - so don't give her any. 

Shang both are playing the same media game..ignore them I say.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Tweet from the Dong

You’re not supposed to sleep through this - its the skipper whose talking ! Time for some family time and recovery before Leg 3 of the @volvooceanrace.

DPt4Zu6WkAEcBgh.jpeg

Hello Jack,

Are you opening the new leg 3 thread, otherwise I will.
Name suggestion: VOR leg 3 Cape town to Melbourne.
http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/route/leg-3.html

• Downvote 3

5 hours ago, Potter said:

I also got it confirmed by my country’s representative. 

What authority do they have on the VOR? 

The Bouwe Blog

We have been in Cape Town for a few days and the shore crew of Team Brunel is chipping away on the job list, who fortunately isn't very big. Of course, boats are solid, but we should not forget the huge amount of hours our shore crew and the boatyard team have put in up to now.

So what with us the sailors: the weight loss has been alright. For example, I lost 2 kg, which is mainly due to fewer muscles. The legs don't get any real workouts so they have shrunk. So time for a recovery period to be fit for the fight for the next leg to Melbourne. Ricardo, our physio has made individual programmes together with the Bergman Clinic which we follow. First days it means mainly stretching exercises.

To have a little break and to get away from the boat completely, we organized a trip to an unknown territory: Namibia. I don't know how many times I have been in South Africa and have seen a fair bit, but one of our supporters the Van Uden Group made us aware of a unique wildlife sanctuary: The Naankuse foundation close to Windhoek.

We just arrived, first impression: stellar surroundings, another update in more detail will follow.

Cheers,

BB

bouwewindhoek-copy.jpg

sunset2-copy.jpg

30 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Same for week 7.

I prefer the ones without the VO and music.

And a glimpse of Witt at the dock.

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 7.49.38 PM.png

ALT-Thread podium nominees? Can’t decide if 1 & 2 or vv. Grossly unfair to rank.

1) The ‘white-hat hacker’ navs like Herman and Hitch especially, who showed us how to appreciate the RaceExperts’ info and the nav decisions being made by the onboard pros.

2) forss, for his Windy layers, and then Squid routes that gave us the tools to appreciate the RaceExperts’ info and the nav decisions being made by the onboard pros.

3) Terra for his Stan Honey vid that showed us how to hack a tracker and the lengths a top nav will go to prep a VOR, so we can appreciate the RaceExperts’ info and the nav decisions being made in advance by the shore teams and the execution by the onboard pros.

Honourable Mentions:  NorBowGirl for showing how PC topics can be done right; JBC for giving access to his spreadsheet and its development

And of course, to A4E who showed us what doesn’t work.

caveats: complete capricious criteria used: strictly personal. Posts ranked by gut feeling of which posts gave the greatest number of pleasurable hours wasted in thinking and following up ideas. SC, JS and Renny and more are in a separate category ;)

Back to catching up on, cleaning out bookmarks, and then trying to figure out if the shore teams are Honey-hacking the tracker so they can  discover other team's secret turbos and  prepare to route the next leg. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Dee now feeling a bit more circumspect about Leg 2.

You dudes do such a grande job of linkys mid leg that save me so much time, so I'm just trying to settle the account.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/10473_Leg-2-in-Dee-s-words.html

"settle accounts" is right on. Me too.

Good article, and not filtered by an in-house writer. She signed the article. Her conclusion, though, confused me a bit. Not sure if she's saying "So, my ego has needed little soothing" or "So, my ego has needed a [sic] little soothing." Tone says the first (no soothing needed), but the second would make sense too (just a little would be nice :) ). Either way, admirable. No way to read any defeatism there.

So, my ego has needed little soothing after yet another battle hard fought and not won by such a small margin but there are plenty of legs to come. I am sleeping, eating well, and taking some time before we get back on our trusty steed to go again, only this time we are headed for the south and we have some serious scores to settle. In the last two legs we have matched raced with two different boats and lost out. Here’s hoping that third time is the charm!

8 hours ago, schakel488 said:

Hello Jack,

Are you opening the new leg 3 thread, otherwise I will.
Name suggestion: VOR leg 3 Cape town to Melbourne.
http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/route/leg-3.html

Do you ever look before you cross the road??

Beginning to think your one of life’s little idiots that continues to survive through the charity of others. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

I also got it confirmed by my country’s representative. 

What authority do they have on the VOR? 

ISAF..... maybe?  Are they even called that anymore?

11 hours ago, southerncross said:

I prefer the ones without the VO and music.

And a glimpse of Witt at the dock.

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 7.49.38 PM.png

So where is the video that that shot came from?

41 minutes ago, random said:

So where is the video that that shot came from?

Using the title of the video  to search for it on google took about 3 seconds.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, random said:

That's about 5 secs shorter than it took you to type that

And I truly enjoyed every second.

17 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

And I truly enjoyed every second.

So did I but I'm not bragging about it.