• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Papaji

Aluminium Centerboard 46-52ft blue water go anywhere

Maybe a smaller version, at 40'. A Charter boat proposal from Canada, for an aluminum boat to sail up the N-W Passage.

I am fortunate, two of my childrens have done the trip. Albeit on a 57' power boat.

Click on the blog. It is at the end of the rambling.

Seeing we talked about Boreals a lot on this thread I want to let everyone know that Boreal won Cruising World Boat of the year.  I'm no expert on this stuff of who wins boat of the year.  But always we hear that American sailing mags go with those who spend lots of money on advertising in thier magazine.  Boreal spends no money on advertising anywhere, none in Europe, none in the USA.  They have in the past given some money to Attainabe Adventure Cruising to help support the site but that is it from what I know.  

Congrats to Jean Francois Delvoye, the designer and owner of Boreal and Jean Francois  Eeman, the other partner in Boreal.  I know these two guys and thier family of workers at Boreal work really hard to make the best built and the safest built bluewater cruising sailboat today.

By the way, the day Boreal took the judges from Cruising world out on sea trials the winds blew 30 plus kts.  From what I hear they had a great sail while the other boats would not leave the dock.

cheers

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

PS. I think Keaton in that role was brilliant.

Edited by Ishmael
paraquat

I don't think this has been posted previously... also don't think the ad is current - I was on board talking to Mr Meffre yesterday. He bought the boat back, and plans on doing a little more adventuring (he's recently been to Cape Horne a couple of times as well as Antarctica)... though you never know when he'll be ready to pass her into someone else's care. Granted she's bigger than 52', and not as pretty as some of the other vessels, but she'll go anywhere! http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/36377 2003 Joubert Custom Aluminium Centreboard Yacht located in Outside United States for sale

37 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

I don't think this has been posted previously... also don't think the ad is current - I was on board talking to Mr Meffre yesterday. He bought the boat back, and plans on doing a little more adventuring (he's recently been to Cape Horne a couple of times as well as Antarctica)... though you never know when he'll be ready to pass her into someone else's care. Granted she's bigger than 52', and not as pretty as some of the other vessels, but she'll go anywhere! http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/36377 2003 Joubert Custom Aluminium Centreboard Yacht located in Outside United States for sale

We were down Con Dock admiring that boat & chatting to the owner last night. It's an impressive chunk of aluminium and that big dagger board is great for shoal waters. We didn't ask to look inside so I don't know what effect it has on the interior layout. Beamy enough so probably not a lot.

FKT

1 hour ago, ALL@SEA said:

It's the house! Its like it wasn't designed at all and somebody just fabbed something. It does look like the plan either, not that that looked very good.  And the listing says centerboard but the plan shows daggerboard.

Yeah, I wasn't going to be too picky with the center/dagger definition, but she's clearly a dagger. He sails everywhere on auto pilot, the house does give excellent vision fwd and of sails. She's very simple for her size, and he says that he generally sails at 7-8 knots (though she'll surf once the sea gets up). I did get a video on my phone of the interior, but can't figure out how to export it. She's well finished and comfortable though.

On 1/5/2018 at 11:55 PM, ALL@SEA said:

Designed by Joubert apparently. He was a top architect able to draw competitive racing boats as well as very good cruising boats.

I did note the designer, she's not just put together by an amateur by eye. Form follows function. Not graceful, but not ugly. She does have a little sheer.

4 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Designed by Joubert apparently. He was a top architect able to draw competitive racing boats as well as very good cruising boats.

Is he dead now? Reason I ask is, the owner said the designer had died so now he could alter the rudder he'd never liked without listening to the screams from the designer.

Personally I like a hull with more sheer but that boat is really nicely put together. I've seen her come & go from Hobart for many years now. Something around 12 to 15m would be nice as a personal toy.

FKT

On 10/01/2018 at 12:19 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Is he dead now? Reason I ask is, the owner said the designer had died so now he could alter the rudder he'd never liked without listening to the screams from the designer.

Personally I like a hull with more sheer but that boat is really nicely put together. I've seen her come & go from Hobart for many years now. Something around 12 to 15m would be nice as a personal toy.

FKT

He passed away about a year ago. I've sailed on a few of his designs and always like the way they behaved, always very predictable.