Papaji

Aluminium Centerboard 46-52ft blue water go anywhere

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

PS. I think Keaton in that role was brilliant.

Edited by Ishmael
paraquat

I don't think this has been posted previously... also don't think the ad is current - I was on board talking to Mr Meffre yesterday. He bought the boat back, and plans on doing a little more adventuring (he's recently been to Cape Horne a couple of times as well as Antarctica)... though you never know when he'll be ready to pass her into someone else's care. Granted she's bigger than 52', and not as pretty as some of the other vessels, but she'll go anywhere! http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/36377 2003 Joubert Custom Aluminium Centreboard Yacht located in Outside United States for sale

37 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

I don't think this has been posted previously... also don't think the ad is current - I was on board talking to Mr Meffre yesterday. He bought the boat back, and plans on doing a little more adventuring (he's recently been to Cape Horne a couple of times as well as Antarctica)... though you never know when he'll be ready to pass her into someone else's care. Granted she's bigger than 52', and not as pretty as some of the other vessels, but she'll go anywhere! http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/36377 2003 Joubert Custom Aluminium Centreboard Yacht located in Outside United States for sale

We were down Con Dock admiring that boat & chatting to the owner last night. It's an impressive chunk of aluminium and that big dagger board is great for shoal waters. We didn't ask to look inside so I don't know what effect it has on the interior layout. Beamy enough so probably not a lot.

FKT

1 hour ago, ALL@SEA said:

It's the house! Its like it wasn't designed at all and somebody just fabbed something. It does look like the plan either, not that that looked very good.  And the listing says centerboard but the plan shows daggerboard.

Yeah, I wasn't going to be too picky with the center/dagger definition, but she's clearly a dagger. He sails everywhere on auto pilot, the house does give excellent vision fwd and of sails. She's very simple for her size, and he says that he generally sails at 7-8 knots (though she'll surf once the sea gets up). I did get a video on my phone of the interior, but can't figure out how to export it. She's well finished and comfortable though.

On 1/5/2018 at 11:55 PM, ALL@SEA said:

Designed by Joubert apparently. He was a top architect able to draw competitive racing boats as well as very good cruising boats.

I did note the designer, she's not just put together by an amateur by eye. Form follows function. Not graceful, but not ugly. She does have a little sheer.

4 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Designed by Joubert apparently. He was a top architect able to draw competitive racing boats as well as very good cruising boats.

Is he dead now? Reason I ask is, the owner said the designer had died so now he could alter the rudder he'd never liked without listening to the screams from the designer.

Personally I like a hull with more sheer but that boat is really nicely put together. I've seen her come & go from Hobart for many years now. Something around 12 to 15m would be nice as a personal toy.

FKT

On 10/01/2018 at 12:19 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Is he dead now? Reason I ask is, the owner said the designer had died so now he could alter the rudder he'd never liked without listening to the screams from the designer.

Personally I like a hull with more sheer but that boat is really nicely put together. I've seen her come & go from Hobart for many years now. Something around 12 to 15m would be nice as a personal toy.

FKT

He passed away about a year ago. I've sailed on a few of his designs and always like the way they behaved, always very predictable. 

On 11/6/2017 at 9:11 PM, Papaji said:

agreed, but anchorage would be the very very very last consideration on the subject. More interesting is the remark if the technology is indeed well proven. In most of those recent expedition yachts they incorporate the centerboard and not the swing keel, but when I read up on it I'm somewhat at a loss why that choice is made? The swing keel seems like a good alternative since it can have more weight lower? more weight on the lowest means more stability and security in a pinch right? When you look at the JFA54 above the ability to land the boat on the dry is a nonissue. 

When you come to a certain size boat I'm sure that the weight of the keel can be compensated in the hull. So would the answer be on the technical issues? Would a centerboard be more reliable than the swing keel in terms of durability, reliability etc?

Anybody?

So, just about half a year later...

The case with the allures 45.9 seems to be that the choice is determined by performance. The swing keel brings weight lower but most importantly, much less of it. The overall displacement is considerably lower but the attained righting moment, according to the manufacturer at least, is similar to the CB version.  So downsides of the swing keel, in this case, would be the increased loads and more complicated nature of the entire setup, possibly bumpier ride and perhaps lesser comfort at anchor too. And perhaps most importantly, one couldn't pull the keel in and retain the stability. To my understanding, this is, if not a tactic, at least an option in very foul conditions and would be done to avoid broaches or to allow the boat to slide if hit by a wave beam on. But it would be slightly faster. To me, it seems like a stupid trade in a boat designed for extended cruising. But then again, that big cockpit is optimized for lounging in the sun too, so I'd say allures is not even aiming for an exploration boat for high latitudes, but one that can be used to anchor in nicest parts of the lagoon. Which is fair play. I do most of my sailing in 60+ degrees north and would argue that sailing higher latitudes is fucking stupid if you have the option not to... That said, if I hit the lottery, I'd be placing an order for the boreal 47. 

A different approach is the one taken by southerly in their plastic boats. They have massive swing keels in a massive keel box and still have all an impressive AVS even with the swing keel up. And it can be grounded too. Downside is that it's even more complicated and to my understanding, the entire keel box thingy has to be overhauled every 7-8 years for a price higher than I'd personally be willing to ever spend on a car...

On 10/31/2017 at 10:53 PM, Papaji said:

Hi! I haven't come across any of these boats yet here in Holland, but from looking at the specs reviews pictures and videos I had come to somewhat the same conclusions/notions that you mentioned. I do think that Garcia is quite a good shipyard and that they will take their design of the exploration to the next level. The v2 is already somewhat better, but I don't think the design will last and will transform into something more appealing somehow.

The Boreal gives a somewhat unfinished impression? But even with that feeling I have about the boat (and I don't like the looks like i do the futuna) all the specs are quite impressive. 

Since you are obviously at least interested in these types of boats, do you have any info on others (maybe one-offs) out there that come anywhere near this kind of requirement list? And do you have any info about the Futuna? When I look at their site and when I google that boat it seems to me only one has been made, and that is the one now for sale. It looks like a pet project for a wealthy swiss guy who is now finished playing with his toy.

I will probably end op getting in touch with the futuna shipyard and pick their brains about the one for sail and their stance towards the build of a similar vessel but slightly shorter. A futuna explorer 47 sound good to me. When I delete some of the fancy gadgets like the carbon mast and boom the swiss guy put onto his boat, it might even become economically viable. 

Did you ever get in touch w Futuna about building a downsized version of their 54?  I’m similarly impressed w the design but it’s too big for me. I’ve sent them several emails and a message on their Facebook page, all unanswered. Are they even still in business?