Tom O'Keefe

Transpac 2019

For the 50th running of Transpac, the Barn Door Trophy wil be opened up to Canters and Foilers .

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:28 PM, longy said:

Disney must be getting one.

He's already done it 3 times with canters.  

He doesnt have one NOW, & his current boat is getting some serious repair work done.

Saturday night TPYC elected its Board of Directors for the 50th edition of the TransPac Yacht Race. We welcome Stephen Ashley, Bill Crispin,  Kimball Livingston and Gino Morelli to the 2018/2019 TPYC Board and thank  retiring Board Members Jon Andron, Roby Bessent, Ross Pearlman, Drew Satriano and Ben Smith for their help to organize a great 49th edition.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, A-NU-START said:

And it's a different Disney. Keep up. 

Roy Pat has been on each of the canters.  And the implication is the rule is being changed simply because Disney wants one.  So, the comment is not only stupid, but incorrectly implies the run is being changed for him.  Why would it not have been changed in 05, 07 or 15?  And weren't canters eligible in '05 anyway, which is why Morning Glory is on the Barn Door?

Any 125's already committed to 2019? It would be awesome to get 4 or 5 boats out for Transpac. Hamachi will more than likely be coming down to where it's warm and you go downwind all the time. Probably California Offshore Week then TPAC. Any other events we should consider for Spring/Early Summer in California? 

On 2/27/2018 at 6:35 PM, ASP said:

Any 125's already committed to 2019? It would be awesome to get 4 or 5 boats out for Transpac. Hamachi will more than likely be coming down to where it's warm and you go downwind all the time. Probably California Offshore Week then TPAC. Any other events we should consider for Spring/Early Summer in California? 

You should come down in March for the Newport Beach to Cabo race.  The J/125 is a great boat for this downwind sprint.

And then the boats should keep coming down for the 75th Sydney-Hobart.

Tick two classics off in 6 months.

• Like 1

Bit of a trek, but it has been done before by Vic-Maui and Transpac boats.  There's great Australian hospitality to look forward to.  

To date with just under eleven months to go we have 45 entries! 

It's shaping up to be  a great 50th running. I'm looking forward to seeing a significant percentage of the racers at Long Point Race Week next week.

Replay of a historical battle between Kialoa V and Atalanta?  I don’t know the history, but I suspect those two went head to head many years ago?  Am I right?

I would like to crew for someone to check this item off my bucket list.  I am 36, a lifelong sailor, and am in great shape. Started sailing in Optimist at age 4 and have never stopped. Over 20,000 offshore miles on both crewed and single-handed boats. In addition, I am a physician and can serve as a boat's medic. Please contact me at pompano.phoenix@gmail.com

PS

Yes I also posted on the Transpac website classified section. 

15 hours ago, Not Nice said:

What's full crew on an opti, like 11 people?

Teamwork is key on those little things with that size crew! 

The NHYC Cabo race (March 15th to 21st) is a great race to prepare your boat and crew for TransPac 50. The early entry $100.00 discount ends October 31st. 

On 8/19/2018 at 6:25 PM, Roleur said:

Replay of a historical battle between Kialoa V and Atalanta?  I don’t know the history, but I suspect those two went head to head many years ago?  Am I right?

Early '70s.  When Atalanta was the "Blue Pig" and Huey Long had his private stateroom aft.  

The dual was really between Windward Passage and Kialoa.  With Stormvogel and Ondine pushing water behind those two.  

6 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Early '70s.  When Atalanta was the "Blue Pig" and Huey Long had his private stateroom aft.  

The dual was really between Windward Passage and Kialoa.  With Stormvogel and Ondine pushing water behind those two.  

Might be you've got your boats and years mixed up.

I looked in the Notice of Race and it does not show the date for the Awards party, just listing this as Friday.  I am guessing the 26th? Can anyone confirm this?   Need to be on a boat in England on August 1.  Is the Aloha send off party on the 6th of July a big deal or is it a can-miss?  Any tips on the Hawaii side?  Hotel or Airbnb?  Don't miss spots?  Wife and two kids under 10 will be there to meet the boat in Honolulu.  

Yes, the Awards presentation will be on Friday the 26th. The Aloha send off is fun and it's right after the skippers meeting. But, mostly it's a chance to meet the competition, see the boats that will be at Rainbow Harbor, eat some good horderves from Gladstone's and watch some great Hula Dancing. The majority of the fleet and the parties will be at Ala Wai Yacht basin post finish. There are a number of great hotels within walking distance. For the kids the Hilton Hawaiian Village might offer the most entertainment. But, it is usually quite crowded. I've preferred to stay at the Modern. Although they have changed their focus to condominiums. The Ala Moana is a decent option. You might also check out the Prince. If you're looking budget there are a couple of hotels right across the street that are less expensive.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:15 PM, fromtas said:

Might be you've got your boats and years mixed up.

Maybe.  I can always be corrected.  1973 Transpac is what I was thinking of.  Atalanta was originally Huey Long's Ondine and painted baby blue.  Pretty much parked it up in that race.  As did the boat I was on.  Catalina threw a big shadow that year.

Kialoa and WP were engaged in multiple battles on the major league circuit back then.  Ondine was never a great performer or on a par with those two, but Long sailed it hard.  Cornelius Bruynzeel out of South America had Stormvogel as the 4th major player.  

Thanks very much.  Getting excited!

On 8/20/2018 at 10:38 AM, GauchoGreg said:

Great to see that the new owner of Merlin is bringing her back across the country to race the Transpac....

Our position is that if you have Merlin and don't do Transpac you WILL go to hell.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 10:56 AM, Brian M. said:

Our position is that if you have Merlin and don't do Transpac you WILL go to hell.

i love you.

On 10/1/2018 at 12:45 PM, ASP said:

Alive RP66 is coming up

Plus at least one Aus based TP52.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, ASP said:

Looks like a great J125 fleet coming together for both Cabo and Transpac.  Can't wait it is going to be a lot of work and a lot of fun!

On 11/21/2018 at 3:52 AM, Flatbag said:

Oh which one? I could see Matt having a crack at it...

Didn't he do the Transpac with Syd on Rags 100?

The recent fairly heavy rainfall, preceded by the extreme fires in Norcal and SoCal caused me to go back through my log books and look at weather going into Trans Pacs '97 and '99 and Pac Cup '98 .  All three years were marked with higher wind speeds than the wind matrixes used for each event.  I believe that 2015 was also above the norm, but I missed that year so don't have any real recording of it. However, all of those years had a fairly moderate or even strong El Nino preceding or during the year the races were held. 

In reading research I came across this piece written in September of this year.  Very interesting read.

I'll just leave it here:

https://weatherwest.com/archives/tag/el-nino

5 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

The recent fairly heavy rainfall, preceded by the extreme fires in Norcal and SoCal caused me to go back through my log books and look at weather going into Trans Pacs '97 and '99 and Pac Cup '98 .  All three years were marked with higher wind speeds than the wind matrixes used for each event.  I believe that 2015 was also above the norm, but I missed that year so don't have any real recording of it. However, all of those years had a fairly moderate or even strong El Nino preceding or during the year the races were held. 

In reading research I came across this piece written in September of this year.  Very interesting read.

I'll just leave it here:

https://weatherwest.com/archives/tag/el-nino

Look no further than Pac Cup 2016. Didn’t you do that one?

31 minutes ago, Roleur said:

Look no further than Pac Cup 2016. Didn’t you do that one?

Thank you.  Don't know how I forgot that epic year!

I reckon the Voodoo croo are keen to do....it'll be a case of looking at the logistics and getting together with a few of the other Aussie crews that are planning to go. First issue is shipping options to the US West Coast - anyone here got some clues?

I've been offered a ride, but there are so many reasons I can't do it (family, work, money..), that I'm running off to buy a lottery ticket.

Just in case

Couta

You should get in touch with John Sangmeister one of the co-entry chairs. If there is enough interest from Australia Seven Star could schedule a run.

• Like 2

I reckon the Voodoo croo are keen to do....it'll be a case of looking at the logistics and getting together with a few of the other Aussie crews that are planning to go. First issue is shipping options to the US West Coast - anyone here got some clues?

I have experience shipping that exact boat from Perth to CA.    Had to ship to SoCal, not SF.    Drop me a PM for more.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 5:00 AM, solosailor said:

I have experience shipping that exact boat from Perth to CA.    Had to ship to SoCal, not SF.    Drop me a PM for more.

Thanks Solosailor - I'll take you up on that once I've dealt with the small matter of this years S2H race! Cheers!!

I'm curious to see if they will finally be able to sail that farr 80 to it's rating

• Like 1

For anyone interested in getting a strong contender for the Santa Cruz 50/52 class, I've just heard that Allure is available at a really great price. The only two times that we got second on Horizon was to Allure in first.

Sounds like Ichi Ban and Comanche will be coming up from AUS for the Transpac.  

I read that Alive is also talking about entering.  We currently have 89 entries without these three rocket ships from down under. It's going to be one great race!

Will be good to see some of the aussie yachts competing, if Comanche, Alive and Ichi Ban go over very good chance of taking major honors.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:41 AM, Tom O'Keefe said:

I read that Alive is also talking about entering.  We currently have 89 entries without these three rocket ships from down under. It's going to be one great race!

Up to 92 entries now https://yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eid=4758

As I mentioned in another thread, the official shirt should motivate  more owners to enter.

M485412519.SKY-1_2400x.jpg?v=1545327673

At the moment there are only 2 Aussie flagged entries. Kialoa 2 and Kosatka which is a V70 with RUS1 sail number but an Aussie flag and owned it appears.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:19 AM, hoppy said:

Up to 92 entries now https://yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eid=4758

As I mentioned in another thread, the official shirt should motivate  more owners to enter.

At the moment there are only 2 Aussie flagged entries. Kialoa 2 and Kosatka which is a V70 with RUS1 sail number but an Aussie flag and owned it appears.

Kosatka is currently chained to the dock in Sydney... Not sure if that'll affect their start schedule or not!

HW

4 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

Kosatka is currently chained to the dock in Sydney... Not sure if that'll affect their start schedule or not!

HW

ohh that V70

Transpacific Yacht Club celebrates its 90th birthday today. And, we're up to 97 entries for the 50th race.

On 1/6/2019 at 6:19 PM, hoppy said:

Crap, now we have to paint Merlin blue again.

21 hours ago, Brian M. said:

Crap, now we have to paint Merlin blue again.

Can't wait to see all those walking around the YC....

20 hours ago, M32USA123 said:

Can't wait to see all those walking around the YC....

All two? Kitty won’t wear one...

Can anyone buy that shirt ?  If so how ?

Reyn Spooner sells them via their website.

On 2/7/2019 at 6:48 AM, Brian M. said:

All two? Kitty won’t wear one...

Why not?  No other members are going on that trek?  Jeffrey?

I'd enter but only "outboards in wells" meet the TP rules.    I have two water tight bulkheads, a proven overbuilt hull and Hawaii vet but since I don't have a hole in my boat for my outboard like a Hobie 33/Henderson 30 I'm not allowed.

What kind of boat is it? Did you ask for an exemption from the RC? I feel like if you were to make a case for it that the RC might be obliging. ALternatively, how much would it take to put a carbon fairing around your outboard on the stern and call it a well? 

Hobie's are Transom hung. I believe the issue is you need to be able to charge your batteries from your outboard.

Azzura 310.  I've asked before.....   no bueno as they are "firm on the motor rule" per the tech committee.   I meet the other requirements such as inboard tank, etc.  Hobies are not transom hung as that is not allowed (8.6.2).   They have a well just inside their stern.

From what I can read the applicable rule is in US SER 2.7.1

A boat shall have a mechanical propulsion system that is quickly available and capable of driving the boat at a minimum speed in knots equivalent to the square root of LWL in feet (1.81 times the square root of the waterline in meters) for 10 hours.

Originally the Hobies had a transom well. But, several now have open transoms. The Hobie I sail on has a transom hung O/B. Captain Sluggo is also an open transom. So, I can't see how they would have a well. But, they are entered.

11 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

From what I can read the applicable rule is in US SER 2.7.1

A boat shall have a mechanical propulsion system that is quickly available and capable of driving the boat at a minimum speed in knots equivalent to the square root of LWL in feet (1.81 times the square root of the waterline in meters) for 10 hours.

Originally the Hobies had a transom well. But, several now have open transoms. The Hobie I sail on has a transom hung O/B. Captain Sluggo is also an open transom. So, I can't see how they would have a well. But, they are entered.

Captain Sluggo is a well, similar to the Henderson.  You can see it on their Facebook page.  

Read the 8.6 rules in the NOR......   very specific about the outboard requirements.

21 hours ago, solosailor said:

Azzura 310.  I've asked before.....   no bueno as they are "firm on the motor rule" per the tech committee.   I meet the other requirements such as inboard tank, etc.  Hobies are not transom hung as that is not allowed (8.6.2).   They have a well just inside their stern.

You would have been "allowed" to race Pac Cup, and didn't. Why whine about Transpac, when you have no intention of racing anyway?

8 hours ago, solosailor said:

Read the 8.6 rules in the NOR......   very specific about the outboard requirements.

Solo you're right, it is very specific.  I stand corrected.

17 hours ago, saboteer said:

Captain Sluggo is a well, similar to the Henderson.  You can see it on their Facebook page.  

Thanks for the education. 

On 3/1/2019 at 8:21 AM, multihuler said:

Just in case I can get her ready in time I could use crew for the assembly, shakedown, and for the San Francisco Bay to Los Angeles leg

2018092095101852.jpg

20190224_132551.jpg

20190213_123355.jpg

You just need rich parents and young unemployed friends.

On 11/21/2018 at 2:52 PM, Flatbag said:

Not anymore

1 hour ago, multihuler said:

I just have a ultra fast trimaran, and I can easily raise $7k, paying $20k for a eight day race is over my head.

It's over most people's heads.  And that $20K is probably a low estimate.  I looked at it and decided not to put a match to $50,000.  

Done it before and may do it again, but I don't trust this economy anymore.

43 minutes ago, multihuler said:

Our economy has always been make believe, how easy is it to balance the cooked books with a 2 Billion dollar deficit?

My only concern is to have crossed off enough on the bucket list to call life successful. There are no do overs and my kid only gets a boat with new halyards when I am gone. 

I still believe $20k will get 4 sailors to Hawaii.

Ps, I am working on it.6715865.jpg.df972f51e92aee60c8ce424f20b632b1.jpg

20190304_174715.jpg

It's the "stay there a while and then get the boat back" where the dollars start sneaking up.  And I was dealing with 6 more people than you.

Have fun and good luck!!!!

Real action is in the Hobie 33 class - 4 boats representing! Go Mayhem!!

On 4/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, The yacht killer said:

Just seen that big bottom girl Comanche is going over for the race interesting. 

Comanche is sitting in Darling Harbour with the rig out.  Getting ready for shipping ?

10 hours ago, DtM said:

Comanche is sitting in Darling Harbour with the rig out.  Getting ready for shipping ?

Yeah I assume she is must getting it  ready to ship it out there soon 

A two boat Australian assault on the Transpac this year with both a heavy and light race maybe covered off?

Last weekend the N2E (a drifter) with "Alive" a RP66 getting a bunch of mono silverware and was winner of the 2018 S2H. Might also be a case of two US cast offs coming back to bite. Alive originally commissioned and sailed out of Newport as "Stark Raving Mad"

alive.jpg

Awards_social_GRAN8822.jpg

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

A two boat Australian assault on the Transpac this year with both a heavy and light race maybe covered off?

Last weekend the N2E (a drifter) with "Alive" a RP66 getting a bunch of mono silverware and was winner of the 2018 S2H. Might also be a case of two US cast offs coming back to bite. Alive originally commissioned and sailed out of Newport as "Stark Raving Mad"

alive.jpg

Awards_social_GRAN8822.jpg

Yes both ends of the spectrum covered. Pity Scallywag wasn't going, I'm enjoying her escapades of late.! This is the race the Big Indian was built for weather permitting. She owns the record but now is electric off course. One of my favourite races.

7 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yes both ends of the spectrum covered. Pity Scallywag wasn't going, I'm enjoying her escapades of late.! This is the race the Big Indian was built for weather permitting. She owns the record but now is electric off course. One of my favourite races.

I believe Skallywag is doing the Transatlantic instead

Anyone care to pick the elapsed time difference for this race between RIO100 and Comanche with the typical Pacific High in place?

1: Light - 0-10 Knots

2: Med  - 10-15 Knots

3. Strong - 15-25 Knots

1) Manouch retires because it's too slow and light

2) Manouch retires because it's too slow and light

3) Manouch retires because it's too slow and light

:ph34r:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EastCoastHustle said:

I believe Skallywag is doing the Transatlantic instead

Scally currently warming up in Antigua.....not having a good time of it though. From 15 second mark. First outing since loosing sprit in S2H.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Scally currently warming up in Antigua.....not having a good time of it though. From 15 second mark. First outing since loosing sprit in S2H.

It would be more useful to link to the appropriate thread