Tom O'Keefe

Transpac 2019

Since they have been going for 50+ miles I will assume not a boat issue but kind of a hail mary on the Zero Gravity with what appears to be a very very early jibe.  Doesn't look they even started to get wound up yet.

I'm a bit confused. OEX's flooding and subsequent abandonment is the big story so far in this year's TransPac.  The mainstream press has been woefully inadequate concerning updates.  Apparently OEX was still afloat upon abandonment, and its EPIRB was (is?) transmitting after abandonment. First hand accounts (see above) state that there was 4-5' of water in the cabin in spite of active dewatering (bucket brigade) with the crew ultimately taking to rafts.

But is OEX still afloat?  Pundits state that she's on the bottom of the Ocean now without corroboration.  I'm not denigrating the heroics of the crew and their assessment of the situation but those maxi boats have a lot of watertight bulkheads and I find it difficult that a failure of the rudder box would flood the whole boat.  Agreed massive flooding astern with no rudder is a good reason to abandon racing or returning to the California Coast under jury rig.
"Race chairman Tom Trujillo said OEX sank."

Is that definitve (yesterday afternoon)?

29 minutes ago, fan said:

Since they have been going for 50+ miles I will assume not a boat issue but kind of a hail mary on the Zero Gravity with what appears to be a very very early jibe.  Doesn't look they even started to get wound up yet.

i thought the same thing.

11 minutes ago, axolotl said:

I'm a bit confused. OEX's flooding and subsequent abandonment is the big story so far in this year's TransPac.  The mainstream press has been woefully inadequate concerning updates.  Apparently OEX was still afloat upon abandonment, and its EPIRB was (is?) transmitting after abandonment. First hand accounts (see above) state that there was 4-5' of water in the cabin in spite of active dewatering (bucket brigade) with the crew ultimately taking to rafts.

But is OEX still afloat?  Pundits state that she's on the bottom of the Ocean now without corroboration.  I'm not denigrating the heroics of the crew and their assessment of the situation but those maxi boats have a lot of watertight bulkheads and I find it difficult that a failure of the rudder box would flood the whole boat.  Agreed massive flooding astern with no rudder is a good reason to abandon racing or returning to the California Coast under jury rig.

Watertight bulkheads? Not really - while significant differences exists between all the santa cruz 70s depending on owner, you're not likely to find any with with anything other than maybe a forward collision bulkhead. Completely different era and it wasn't part of the design concept to put the rudder stock behind the deck/hull joint & make it accessible behind a hatch or above from the deck.

20 minutes ago, axolotl said:

From John Sangmeister, he also mentioned that he was concerned that if the back half went down and the front half stayed afloat due to the watertight bulkhead in the bow, that the life rafts could be damaged or trapped by the mast.  If there were any way to get the boat home, Ryan Breymaier and the rest of the Team would have!  :

At approximately 0151 July 15, 2017 nearly 200 miles offshore the California coast, the sailing vessel OEX was competing in the 2019 Transpac Race to Honolulu.  OEX was sailing with a full reef, jib and stay sail. At this moment, we experienced catastrophic rudder system failure tearing a large hole in the hull of the boat.  We were rapidly taking on water.  We tried to plug the hole with no success.  Brendan Busch radioed a Mayday and the crew of Pyewacket diverted to us.  The OEX crew of Erik Berzins, Ryan Breymaier, Brendan Busch, Mat Bryant, Chuck Clay, John Sangmeister, Randy Smith, John Turpin, Greg Weeger remained calm and made a heroic attempt to save the boat.  With waves breaking over the transom into the cockpit and the Pyewacket in sight, I ordered the crew to enter the rafts and abandon ship at 0220.  

We are grateful to the United States Coast Guard and the entire crew of Pyewacket for their efforts on our behalf.  We have known Roy and his crew for over 35 years both as team mates and competitors.  We hold them in the highest esteem both on and off the water.  Their rescue of the OEX crew came at an extremely high personal price--their retirement from the Transpac race. 

The rescue of the OEX crew was affected with the highest level of seamanship.  Both teams worked calmly and efficiently and with tremendous cooperation.  Once aboard we were welcomed graciously and the Pyewacket crew made every effort to accommodate us.

On behalf of the OEX crew I would like to nominate Roy Disney and the entire crew of Pyewacket for US Sailing's Hanson award which recognizes significant accomplishments in seamanship and valor.  I have included the names of the entire crew in hope that each will be acknowledged for their effort and sacrifice.

Here is the crew list of Pyewacket:
Tom Addis
Mark Callahan
Paul Cayard
Roy Disney
Scott Easom
Brad Jackson
Robbie Kane
Ben Mitchell
Mark Towill
Gary Weisman

Thank you for your consideration of this nomination.  

Warm regards,

John Sangmeister
Owner Skipper S/V OEX

I don't know shit about the nuances of this race, but I'm pretty impressed with the Tripp 56 Brigadoon....am I missing something..?

Appears as though Merlin's trip south (and maybe the boat improvements) may be paying off.  More than a 2-knot speed advantage over TaxiDancer, and jumping from 5th or 6th to 3rd DTF in Div2, and now only 5miles behind TaxiDancer. 

• Like 1

Wow!  Hamachi just layed down a 307nm day and are now scored as 1st OA.  

Interesting times ahead .Commache jibed , Soto diving south .North or south entry to da kai .Ho'okalohi continues north .Lota Brahs on that boat with Cecil ,Dod Tye Fuzz Fizz Capn Lou cooking Watch them ..Bad pak holding the southern lane as are the 125s  and the numbers show its 2 knts more solid .Bets anyone .

4 hours ago, Left Shift said:

PNW boats recap: 

Hamachi, working the south, is definitely flying and Longboard starting to move as well.  I'm assuming that's because Longboard could finally dump some water ballast.  

Interesting to see the J121 Blue Flash leg out on White Cloud, a refugee from the PNW.  I don't recall White Cloud having trouble with the J121s up here.  So they must have Blue Flash pretty well dialed in.  The J121's other competition is the Beneteau 40.7 and they seem to be hanging in there, but were too far north.  Blue Flash took a deep dive to the south that paid.

The TP52 Shadow, the other PNW boat, certainly suffered in the hole at the starting line and hasn't seemed to really get going.  

On FB, Shadow II mentioned problems with upper rudder bearing, which has been fixed at sea. 

Trader?  Are they actually racing?  Assuming they are receiving the daily position reports, what do they think when they get them?  Those other 83 boats are wrong and we've got this thing nailed?  I can see that route choice for a Westsail 32, but an Andrews 70.  What the...?

• Like 1

anyone notice the profile pic for runaway? i don't wanna say the wife is a dog but...

runaway.jpg

1 hour ago, Roleur said:

Wow!  Hamachi just layed down a 307nm day and are now scored as 1st OA.  

Funny when i look at the tracker, the first three boats overall are Argo, Powerplay and Maserati.  

Or do you mean not really overall just overall for one format of boat?

5 minutes ago, Factor said:

Funny when i look at the tracker, the first three boats overall are Argo, Powerplay and Maserati.  

Or do you mean not really overall just overall for one format of boat?

he means ORR .

Maverick isn't slow.  6nm ahead of BadPak and a higher 24hr run isn't shabby at all.  Has wings.  Will fly?

9 minutes ago, Factor said:

Not really overall then

Other than that is what it is called.  Two classifications.  ORR Overall and Line Honors.  My interest in who can spend the most to get to Hawaii first is about zero.  My interest in who can sail their boat well on the way to Hawaii is very high.  

Interesting to see the boats who were North like Ho Okolohe who was leading the fleet has surrendered her lead to Brigadoon who sailed a deeper/straighter course to Hawaii. Comanche sailing lower to maintain her speed has now stopped stretching on RIO who once again has managed to sail deeper and straighter. Of the MOD70's Maserati is losing ground I assume due to the damage sustained. 

4 minutes ago, Roleur said:

Other than that is what it is called.  Two classifications.  ORR Overall and Line Honors.  My interest in who can spend the most to get to Hawaii first is about zero.  My interest in who can sail their boat well on the way to Hawaii is very high.  

Have to agree, its all about who can sail the best, (oh and BTW a MOD 70 is way cheaper than a maxi. ) 

3 minutes ago, Factor said:

Have to agree, its all about who can sail the best, (oh and BTW a MOD 70 is way cheaper than a maxi. ) 

Being 3rd most expensive isn't exactly something to brag about...

• Like 3

Factor I like multihulls and in my younger years enjoyed chartering seawinds with the family and friends and have a leisurely week BBQing off the back. 

But multihulls ocean racing is at that stage where time records make them interesting but otherwise I'm more interested in small boats giving big boats a run for their money. 

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Factor I like multihulls and in my younger years enjoyed chartering seawinds with the family and friends and have a leisurely week BBQing off the back. 

But multihulls ocean racing is at that stage where time records make them interesting but otherwise I'm more interested in small boats giving big boats a run for their money. 

he REALLY likes multihulls ! 

Powerplay, Argo, Masarati, followed by Paradox, to finish 1,2,3,4

lets watch and see.... ;)

Badpak has closed on Maverick and sailing a straighter course to Hawaii. Not sure if it's more pressure South? Also sailing faster. Brigadoon is leading her fleet, nice looking boat this one. Alive is smoking.! 

1 hour ago, hbsurfer said:

Looks like Callisto turned around more than 1/2 way:(  

I wouldn’t put too much trust in that, unless you believe a Cal 40 can do 23.6kn, UPWIND!

F05A7C89-B60E-40BD-B59A-8BD92D2FDDE0.jpeg

I love Alive's speed, course and position however she will pay for the 1st 24 hour park up,  but really rocketing to Hawaii now. The Big Indian has ramped things up,  25 Knots on the dial and a good line to Hawaii. Brigadoon has converted a 20 mile deficit to a near 20 mile lead on Ho Okolohe. Will be interesting to see if Powerplay can catch Argo? 

Interesting stat: Alive = 404 miles in last 24 hours vs RIO100 = 412 miles in last 24 hours. (66 feet vs 100) 

Stoked to see the guys on Hamachi doing the boat justice!

1 hour ago, ASP said:

Stoked to see the guys on Hamachi doing the boat justice!

Doing very well. Nice looking boat too. I don't know any of it's history however always nice to hear when a boat starts living up to it's potential for whatever reason? 

4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

I love Alive's speed, course and position however she will pay for the 1st 24 hour park up,  but really rocketing to Hawaii now. The Big Indian has ramped things up,  25 Knots on the dial and a good line to Hawaii. Brigadoon has converted a 20 mile deficit to a near 20 mile lead on Ho Okolohe. Will be interesting to see if Powerplay can catch Argo? 

Interesting stat: Alive = 404 miles in last 24 hours vs RIO100 = 412 miles in last 24 hours. (66 feet vs 100) 

Alive run a really good program and great people to meet...

I just occurred to me.....Full moon !....what a ride !....that and "Sweet Okole" is having a fine race !

• Like 1

The only luck Maserati seems to have is bad luck! Severe damage due to hitting a large floating object.......

From Team Maserati:
LEFT SIDE BOW DAMAGED FOR A STRONG IMPACT IN THE OCEAN
July 15, 2019
At 4.30 UTC, Maserati Multi 70, while sailing at 23-24 knots, collided with a big floating object that damaged the left side hull’s bow and the rudder’s wing.

Giovanni Soldini explained: “We couldn’t understand what it was, but it was very big, it was at least one meter high out of the water. It hit the left side hull with great force, severely damaging it, then it glided along the hull and hit the rudder. The fuse system worked, but the object was so big that we lost the outer half of the wing. We stopped for one hour: we took off the wing completely so we could use the rudder’s blade. Now we’re sailing with the bow out of the water using the foil: we’re waiting for the light to do a thorough inspection of the side hull – which has 7 watertight bulkheads – to check if there are any holes.”

According to the 3.00 UTC position updates, Maserati Multi 70‘s Team was sailing at 26 knots, with 1872 miles ahead of them, on the wake of their competitors: Argo, at 25 miles, had 1732 miles before the finish line, followed by PowerPlay, at 25 knots with 1833 miles to go.

---

Damage pictures:

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?9361-Maserati-Pushes-On

15 hours ago, A.M.S. said:

SCOOPFeatured.jpg.92826deb1d8047d1cb04626c20ce9a49.jpgDid Maserati hit this? IMG_1227.thumb.jpg.7d9db1357b7f406c52b329ef87832547.jpg

IMG_1227.PNG

That would be careless! :blink:

Can anybody overlay their track?

When did the collision occur? Monday 0430 UTC? would have been what? Sunday 2030 HST? 

Maserati was 300nm+ away 

12 hours ago, hbsurfer said:

Looks like Callisto turned around more than 1/2 way:(  

11 hours ago, silent bob said:

I wouldn’t put too much trust in that, unless you believe a Cal 40 can do 23.6kn, UPWIND!

F05A7C89-B60E-40BD-B59A-8BD92D2FDDE0.jpeg

Yup, just as I thought, a Cal 40 can not do 23.6kn UPWIND!  

7E55C43D-7A6C-44C6-82EE-08FC7AD075E8.jpeg

9 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Doing very well. Nice looking boat too. I don't know any of it's history however always nice to hear when a boat starts living up to it's potential for whatever reason? 

Hamachi is probably the lightest J125 and won her class in the 2014 PacCup and 2015 Transpac, as well as several races in the Caribbean under prior ownership. Trevor Baylis was instrumental in driving the many mods done in 2013-14. The new owners have done well with her but Seattle mostly windward/leewards in light-moderate air are not a J125 strength. They did win first overall in Round The County last year. This is the owners first race to Hawaii and they have a strong crew. 

• Like 1

This tracker is way way way better than the shit one most of the PNW races (inc swiftsure and r2ak) use. Is it still spot based?

It's faster, way less clunky and with a lot more info

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alctel said:

This tracker is way way way better than the shit one most of the PNW races (inc swiftsure and r2ak) use. Is it still spot based?

It's faster, way less clunky and with a lot more info

Well, as I understand it, Royal Vic bought the Spot trackers and rent them out to other events.  So they are stuck with them even though YBR is clearly providing more info with newer tech.  Still better than listening to Humphrey Golby on the radio every 6 hours and marking out your grid square.  

Now, if they'd only get rid of the 4 hour delay.  Could possibly make tactics/strategy more interesting:  Do we cover or protect or go our own way?  

17 hours ago, Keith said:

Powerplay, Argo, Masarati, followed by Paradox, to finish 1,2,3,4

lets watch and see.... ;)

paradox will not catch comanche.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Well, as I understand it, Royal Vic bought the Spot trackers and rent them out to other events.  So they are stuck with them even though YBR is clearly providing more info with newer tech.  Still better than listening to Humphrey Golby on the radio every 6 hours and marking out your grid square.  

Now, if they'd only get rid of the 4 hour delay.  Could possibly make tactics/strategy more interesting:  Do we cover or protect or go our own way?  

I wonder if they could keep the spot trackers but redesign the tracker interface at least. The transpac one is just so much nicer and easier to use

Most everyone seems to be moving really well, but  Argo Powerplay, and even wounded Maserati are blasting! 500 mile plus days. Fun to track, too bad it will be over for us internet junkies all too soon. Lest anyone thinks I am only following the tris, enjoying Dark Star and Longboard and so many others.

Uh oh, I hope that's just a glitch coming into live coverage.

Edit, I guess it was, they show 25+ with fresher update

Screenshot_20190717-171223.png

Alive is killing RIO100. Consistently sailing faster and doing 50-60 miles more per 24 hours. Not sure if RIO has a problem or else? Comanche lucky WIld Oats isn't in this race their angles mean they are sailing so many more miles, almost like the MOD70's.

Powerplay making a move on Argo, closed to within 30 miles approx. With just over 100 miles to go could it catch Argo? One to keep an eye on...

1 hour ago, Bruno said:

Predict finish times a bit off

Tracker says both Argo and PPlay finished? Is this due to the tracker delay? Confused. Ho Okolohe gaining on Brigadoon the Farr57 seems around 1 knot quicker than the Trip 56?  Maverick slowed right down not sure if they have a problem on board? 

You have to go to the header of the tracking map; click on the "Live 200 NM Approach"" --there is a separate page for the last 200 miles in real time.  About 31 minutes difference between Argo and PPlay.  It is confusing.  Argo finished at 20:50 HST, PPlay at 21:21 HST Both on 17 July.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Two trackers, one 4 hour delay the other real time from 200nm out

Cheers forgot all about that.

1 minute ago, thataway4 said:

You have to go to the header of the tracking map; click on the "Live 200 NM Approach"" --there is a separate page for the last 200 miles in real time.  About 31 minutes difference between Argo and PPlay.  It is confusing.  Argo finished at 20:50 HST, PPlay at 21:21 HST Both on 17 July.

Cheers 

5 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Tracker says both Argo and PPlay finished? Is this due to the tracker delay? Confused. Ho Okolohe gaining on Brigadoon the Farr57 seems around 1 knot quicker than the Trip 56?  Maverick slowed right down not sure if they have a problem on board? 

Idiotic delay. I mean really.

I know, the navigators keep asking for it. Its still idiocy. Its really more fun to race in ignorance? I can relate to that... NOT

Imagine how cool it would have been to watch this in real time. Here is a text I just got 2 minutes ago:

Shit happens?
Ned said Argo was 100 yds away when they caught a puff .
Just shows,all things considered Neds faster on the water 
615 miles for last 24 hrs

• Like 1

18 hours ago, full circle said:

paradox will not catch comanche.

Probably right with the big indian totally lit up in her conditions. Fun to watch though! However, to me the fact that a heavily modified Orma 60 racer/cruiser is racing against one of, if not the fastest 100 foot mono in the world and putting down similar speeds/miles is pretty telling. That's not to say monos don't have their place, I would much rather be on a 40 foot mono than equivalent cat/tri offshore. Once above 50' or so that equation changes drastically...

7 hours ago, Bruno said:

Predict finish times a bit off

I think the predicted finish times are based on line of sight distance to the finish, not the course a boat will sail to reach the finish in the shortest amount of time.

Last year the "leaders" were noted as a function of DTF, but sometimes a boat would have to jibe and travel more parallel to the finish line in order to finish with optimized VMG and would very quickly give up places, time & distance to it's competitors when they did so..

The last jibe seemingly must be north of rhumb line?

44 minutes ago, carcrash said:

Idiotic delay. I mean really.

I know, the navigators keep asking for it. Its still idiocy. Its really more fun to race in ignorance? I can relate to that... NOT

Speaking for navigators but mostly myself.  Those who can't navigate their own race or don't have confidence in their skills always want the delay taken away.  Not speaking to you necessarily just my .02.  I get from behind the key board I want the delay removed.  The problems is there are cheaters who will use the tracker anyway.  It seems like there should be a way to log everyone in to restrict access so only those at home but again people cheat.  It is  sad statement about a sport build on character.

1 hour ago, GauchoGreg said:

Merlin having a great race, leading all the sleds.

(Estimated) Corrected time difference between Merlin and TaxiDancer is creeping down.  Merlin is less than 45min behind and has gained 15min in the past 6 hours.

TwoBeers must be having a great ride on Merlin!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

(Estimated) Corrected time difference between Merlin and TaxiDancer is creeping down.  Merlin is less than 45min behind and has gained 15min in the past 6 hours.

TwoBeers must be having a great ride on Merlin!

- Stumbling

Representing Tampa Bay !

Merl.jpg

• Like 1

hamachi v. hammer battle getting tighter by the minute

22 minutes ago, aA said:

hamachi v. hammer battle getting tighter by the minute

Yup -  also watching the 125's drag race.

The problems is there are cheaters who will use the tracker anyway.  It seems like there should be a way to log everyone in to restrict access so only those at home but again people cheat.  It is  sad statement about a sport build on character.

There should be NO tracking available onboard except 1-2x times a day official distributed report from the RC.    Cheaters and cheater apologists are more common than you think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, solosailor said:

There should be NO tracking available onboard except 1-2x times a day official distributed report from the RC.    Cheaters and cheater apologists are more common than you think.

I would say no tracking, no RC reports and no weather reports, like the Solitaire du Figaro, but then I don't have to actually do that, so....

The SIs allow the delayed YB info, so is covering from behind to correct on time cheating? In a buoy race you see someone on the water in front of you and you can cover, no problem. In this race you can see someone on the screen in front of you and you can cover? Hmmm....feels 'wrong" somehow.

On a different note does TPYC look at Gamble and change breaks? Seems like they should have been in 3.

Todays "navigation" is far different than it was 40 years ago.  Then, the Committee gave out a "coded" broadcast of the isobars, so all had a "fair chance".  I know that there were some who corresponded with their friends who were pilots, and they obtained more information.  

Now, anything in the public domain appears to be fair game for navigators.  There are satellite AIS reports in almost real time.  All manor of weather information is available , from GRIB files to sophisticated models on the internet.  I don't now many of the boats have a "fast" internet connection, but it doesn't take a lot of bandwidth to get the basics.  All of the boats at least have a sat phone...from there on it is just $$ as to how much information you can download.  The tactics are driven by the wind speed and direction--a lot of boats have that information now.  It is different than "covering" in a buoy's race.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:06 AM, Lat21 said:

Hamachi is probably the lightest J125 and won her class in the 2014 PacCup and 2015 Transpac, as well as several races in the Caribbean under prior ownership. Trevor Baylis was instrumental in driving the many mods done in 2013-14. The new owners have done well with her but Seattle mostly windward/leewards in light-moderate air are not a J125 strength. They did win first overall in Round The County last year. This is the owners first race to Hawaii and they have a strong crew. 

Hamachi is smoking it. Great position on the fleet and owning the south. Got to be some butt puckering onboard right now.

4 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Representing Tampa Bay !

Merl.jpg

Funny...  I was just wondering why Jeff Linton wasn't at Flying Scot North Americans...  Didn't expect to see him pop up trimming in the TransPac!

2 hours ago, thataway4 said:

Todays "navigation" is far different than it was 40 years ago.  Then, the Committee gave out a "coded" broadcast of the isobars, so all had a "fair chance".  I know that there were some who corresponded with their friends who were pilots, and they obtained more information.  

Now, anything in the public domain appears to be fair game for navigators.  There are satellite AIS reports in almost real time.  All manor of weather information is available , from GRIB files to sophisticated models on the internet.  I don't now many of the boats have a "fast" internet connection, but it doesn't take a lot of bandwidth to get the basics.  All of the boats at least have a sat phone...from there on it is just $$ as to how much information you can download.  The tactics are driven by the wind speed and direction--a lot of boats have that information now.  It is different than "covering" in a buoy's race.

Actually, strategy is driven by wind speed and direction (conditions and forecasts) and tactics are driven by the position of your competitors.  

Not having access to information about your competitors position - which is available at any level of racing except on the ocean - eliminates one of the two most challenging elements of racing sailboats.  Now that tactical positioning information is readily and fairly cheaply available, why shouldn't tactical positioning be included as part of the off-shore puzzle.

Look what AIS information did for the Volvo race.  Boat-for-boat finishes within minutes and full on racing efforts by the crews.  

TBF AIS information only mattered so much for the Volvo because of the OD nature of 65s. Figaro is the same way.

But in a fleet like this one? Unless your polars are similar, sailing your best race is really more strategy than tactics. Unless you're one of those helm/tactician pairing who'll try to squeeze someone else starting an amateur 2200 nm race. 

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Alive tearing it up...if it wasn't for park up would have spat Rio out the back...that might still be on the cards.

Yeah absolutely killing them. With RIO on the market and no buyers to date this has been a blessing for Mr M. Not sure if RIO have problems on board? I noticed Maverick slowed down a long time ago and I finally read they lost their A2 overboard. Not that RIO ever seemed to be going well when the breeze is up but to have a 66 footer doing 50 miles more per 24 hours says something is going on?     2 and in for Comanche now 20 miles to go.

Alive around 140 miles behind RIO and will sail deeper we know that. with 380 miles to go for RIO Alive can catch them if they keep sailing faster and deeper?

Terra you forget Rio is a fixed keel unpowered one track Barndoor boat. If it wasn't for the parkup they would be getting that silverware behind a mono 34' smaller.

Terra you forget Rio is a fixed keel unpowered one track Barndoor boat. If it wasn't for the parkup they would be getting that silverware behind a mono 34' smaller.

No I realise all that Jack but still 66 feet vs 100 feet. The 100 feet fixed keeler should beat a 66 canter IMO? 

The 100 feet fixed keeler should beat a 66 canter IMO?

It really depends on the conditions. The 66' canter can easily have 2x the righting moment and that turns into a lot of horsepower in power reaching conditions.

21 minutes ago, Moonduster said:

The 100 feet fixed keeler should beat a 66 canter IMO?

It really depends on the conditions. The 66' canter can easily have 2x the righting moment and that turns into a lot of horsepower in power reaching conditions.

I think everyone is missing the point here. Alive parked up at the start. Only Comanche and RIO got out and RIO at one stage was over 250 miles ahead of Alive, could have been more. Since then I don't believe RIO has stalled anywhere and may have had problems not sure. So now we have Alive within 120 miles of RIO so they closed to the tune of 130 miles. I would have thought that RIO's 100 feet would have mean't good sustained speeds due to her waterline length. Yes fixed keel but had a whole new wide arse fitted to gain righting moment so find it hard to believe she being 100 feet is that much slower than a narrow 66 foot canter? I'm happy to be proved wrong just a fascinating stat as far as I am concerned. I'm thinking RIO has had some sail issues or is missing a key sail in their wardrobe for whatever reason?

Sorry Terra I think you missing the comparative RM point. That is why God invented canters.

The Schock 40 Gamble now appears to be in another time zone, literally.

And is Trader white sails only?

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Nah God was a Frenchman who invented the canter...Conq??

Herreshoff.

Later Clark. 

Maybe some Kiwi along the way?

1 hour ago, Parma said:

And is Trader white sails only?

Something has got to be going on there, very peculiar race for them

23 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

Yup -  also watching the 125's drag race.

delta down to 29 miles. currently hammer has speed and preferred course, great race that's going to go down to the wire over next two days i think

14 minutes ago, aA said:

delta down to 29 miles. currently hammer has speed and preferred course, great race that's going to go down to the wire over next two days i think

Hamachi posted they smoked their A2.5 so are using their A4 which could make things more interesting. Some strange squiggles in their track yesterday afternoon but could be just yellowbrick polling gaps

4 hours ago, Parma said:

The Schock 40 Gamble now appears to be in another time zone, literally.

The Schock 40 must be the bastard child of God. Back of the fleet most days, but a crazy, wild ride when it's just right. 

FWIW, we were rated 1.038 in the Chicago-mac. A Soto 40 was 1.046 in our section. The Soto 40 in the transpac is rated a decimal slower than Gamble. Go figure.

Anyway, hoping Jason does well. 

Tracker has Callisto 5th for line honors???? Paradox scooting right along. Can't see Rio catching up.