Tom O'Keefe

Transpac 2019

1 hour ago, solosailor said:

I still say NO tracker for boats on the course, just a twice a day RC generated fleet report.   Race your own race.

We've been dragged down the flowery path of requiring trackers for entertainment and (arguably) race promotion, with no regard to their effect on the quality of the racing.

And no, the Coast Guard doesn't require them.

• Like 1

Kinda funny...the SF Bay community are nearly unanimous in our disdain for the use of NRT tracker data. 

Saturday's start was light.  It took 36 hours to to get to San Nicholas island. From Monday night to Tuesday night we gradually went from a J0 with a blast reacher and a genoa staysail and single reefed main to a 3A with a full main in 17 to 24 knots TWS beam reaching. It was Monday afternoon when I was going forward just off the helm that the boat lurched and I smacked my ribs on my left side on a foot cleat. Then later that evening reaching at 13 knots we hit a UFO and came to an abrupt stop. 

We did a safety check and proceeded on. Once passed the ridge we actually took a jibe south. We saw consistent 17 to 24 knots in running conditions through Saturday morning and got a light afternoon. Stepping south kept us in more wind than our competitors to the north. 

It would get real dark after sunset until the moon would rise. Water across the deck regularly with the occasional full plug.

It was a blast !

Tom

• Like 4

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

But Pil you're a biased multi owner and not allowed to take a multi like Parodox on your own turfs best race track. Until that happens there is no "bang for buck" happening :-) It's like being married to a super model but you can't shag her, only put her on your arm for display purposes only.

Correct on all counts Jack (as usual).... Still her on my arm works... I can always knock the top off to relieve tension...... as usual...

With a boat like Parodox and a "friend" super model.... she will have friends for me...

12 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Not the way it was described to me, by one of their regulars sad to have had to turn the trip down.

But who am I to argue.

Not sure who your regular is (JH..?) but like you i was offered the trip by Jim himself and his carrot was the fact I would only have to take 2 weeks max off work based on the previous time the boat did it and the guarantee we would straight line it. The fact they haven't left means maybe the family won't go and the boys will have more time. 

Funny we could have ended up spending 2 weeks holiday together Tubby..... Maybe we both need to unchain ourselves from work and live a little more .. next time..

7 hours ago, Raz'r said:

This is rarefied air territory. A 63'er with less interior space than my old 43' IMS raceboat, or a 100'er with no headroom.

If I had either, I'm cruising my Brenta and letting my crew take the boat from place to place!

You own a Brenta ...? Jim has a 42 and there is virtually no room downstairs on that... nice fun harbour boat though....

Advanced issues found

6 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

You own a Brenta ...? Jim has a 42 and there is virtually no room downstairs on that... nice fun harbour boat though....

Of course not!  but if I had the dosh for Paradox, etc, I damn well would!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Correct on all counts Jack (as usual).... Still her on my arm works... I can always knock the top off to relieve tension...... as usual...

With a boat like Parodox and a "friend" super model.... she will have friends for me...

Not sure who your regular is (JH..?) but like you i was offered the trip by Jim himself and his carrot was the fact I would only have to take 2 weeks max off work based on the previous time the boat did it and the guarantee we would straight line it. The fact they haven't left means maybe the family won't go and the boys will have more time. 

Funny we could have ended up spending 2 weeks holiday together Tubby..... Maybe we both need to unchain ourselves from work and live a little more .. next time..

Sadly, I wasn't offered the trip.  Just talking to a regular who was crying about having to turn it down.

How could I give up a couple of weeks of tropical cruising anyway,  I have a long SLOW drift to Southport this weekend.  Followed if the forecast is to be believed by a nice 25 knot southerly for the return!

Give that up for a few weeks in the tropics,  never.

13 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Sadly, I wasn't offered the trip.  Just talking to a regular who was crying about having to turn it down.

How could I give up a couple of weeks of tropical cruising anyway,  I have a long SLOW drift to Southport this weekend.  Followed if the forecast is to be believed by a nice 25 knot southerly for the return!

Give that up for a few weeks in the tropics,  never.

Hahaha  poor bugger... I'm glad our boat is not ready....

Barn Door trophy has not always been given  to the fastest monohull. Disney bought the trophy a few times. I won't get into that.  If you have a barn door trophy it should be for the fastest BOAT in the race. I think it's a load of shit that Comanche was awarded the trophy this year. Fastest monohull yes but far from the boats that completed the course faster. They need to dedicate the Barn Door  to the fastest boat and give it to that boat.

10 minutes ago, Billy Bob said:

Barn Door trophy has not always been given  to the fastest monohull. Disney bought the trophy a few times. I won't get into that.  If you have a barn door trophy it should be for the fastest BOAT in the race. I think it's a load of shit that Comanche was awarded the trophy this year. Fastest monohull yes but far from the boats that completed the course faster. They need to dedicate the Barn Door  to the fastest boat and give it to that boat.

Perhaps they need to develop 2 awards? There were how many multi's in the race? 10 at the most? and how many mono's? So it's not a load of shit Comanche gets an award when it was part of the majority of the fleet. The majority wins it's human nature. 2 awards would be better it's not Rocket Science...........

49 minutes ago, Billy Bob said:

Barn Door trophy has not always been given  to the fastest monohulmonohull....

..I think it's a load of shit that Comanche was awarded the trophy this year...

Nonsense for 113 years a "first to finish" trophy subsequently called Barndoor where multi's only allowed mid 90's or ninety years later and they were specifically Barndoor excluded. So only has ever been a 'first to finish mono" trophy for 113 years and only change being powered was excluded decade or so ago, now power included again this year.

Comanche got it twice first unpowered then powered which is an interesting stat that probably will never be repeated.

I think you have sand issues down below.

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Perhaps they need to develop 2 awards? 

They do but only one Barndoor. Also think of the decade where first over the line, but powered didn't get it which was the genisus to fixed keel Rio going to the west coast and from this year with powered allowed now a large doorstop.

looking at the Hamachi vid I'm guessing that sail stacking is legal in the Transpac?

See up thread for the answer to that.

Yes.

Front page report of one of the Chubasco crew dying in their bed. Can’t think of a better way to go: winning the transpac on a true classic yacht, loading up on mai tais and then just falling asleep in paradise. If there was ever a way to do it. Sail on, mister!

13 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Perhaps they need to develop 2 awards? There were how many multi's in the race? 10 at the most? and how many mono's? So it's not a load of shit Comanche gets an award when it was part of the majority of the fleet. The majority wins it's human nature. 2 awards would be better it's not Rocket Science...........

I have no doubt there is a special perpetual for fastest Multi I mean there we won a giant perpetual for 3rd fastest Barn Door and were 6th to finish  some years back haha

55 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Front page report of one of the Chubasco crew dying in their bed. Can’t think of a better way to go: winning the transpac on a true classic yacht, loading up on mai tais and then just falling asleep in paradise. If there was ever a way to do it. Sail on, mister!

Damn, dude was only 61. Fair winds.

2 hours ago, fan said:

I have no doubt there is a special perpetual for fastest Multi I mean there we won a giant perpetual for 3rd fastest Barn Door and were 6th to finish  some years back haha

It's the Rudy Choy perpetual - cool trophy.  We're pretty far from mainstream and would never expect the barn door - its a race centered around mono's.  Happy with the Choy trophy and to get there 1st!

• Like 3

On 7/26/2019 at 11:06 AM, Pants said:

It's the Rudy Choy perpetual - cool trophy.  We're pretty far from mainstream and would never expect the barn door - its a race centered around mono's.  Happy with the Choy trophy and to get there 1st!

congrats, well done!

out boating yesterday and over channel 16 on the vhf, there was communication between "mr. bill"-returning from hawaii, u.s. coast guard and boat u.s. could only pick up boat u.s. and the coast guard transmission. listening and looking at the tracker, mr. bill was near santa barbara island. i see they are in port now, but does anyone know what was going on?

Well - that was a lot of fun. 

Yes, Gamble was the smallest boat on the fastest line. My favorite question was, "who in the hell did you piss off to get put on THAT line?." Quite a few people wondered why I did it in a Schock 40. "Do you know that the keel falls off," they would ask."OH MY GAWWD!! You're kidding!?!" became my standard response. Sure, nobody knows the amount of refit I put into that boat for the past year to make her ocean ready. Well, maybe a few do, but the number is small regardless. Surely not a single person on the dock before the race that asked that stupid question.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we were one of the only boats that was not only required to restrict the function of the boat by committee, but afterwards, with only days before the race, forced to prove a 150-mile qualifier as a result of the forced modification by committee before we would be allowed to be on the line.

Yes - I was tail-end-charlie. It's true. But I'm proud that we finished in under 11 days. Not a small accomplishment for a 40 foot boat that started in light winds on the last day.

I'm sure you have questions: Yes, it is a very wet boat. NO, the keel did not fall off. Yes, that was the first time any of us did that race. NO, it was not the first time we'd done an offshore race, but it was the first time we'd raced as a crew. NO, it was not the first time a Schock 40 did the Transpac. Yes, it is a fast boat and has to be sailed with no regard to life or property to make her go fast. And finally, YES - Rod Job really does spew rainbows out of his mouth and his ass as well.

Gamble is back in Texas for a bit of refit before the most spectacular 150 mile drag race I've ever done. The Bacardi Cup Harvest Moon Regatta. Galveston to Port Aransas. After that we have our eyes on the SORC series, although I wonder what kind of debris we might face after Dorian.

Lastly, yes - it is a bitch to cross the line last, but it is a joy to have finished when so many of you fuckers out there said we couldn't or told me outright that I would die. To that, "tell me I can't?  Hold my beer."

gambleatdiamondhead.jpg

• Like 7

Jason,

I'm really glad you enjoyed yourself after all the hurdles that you had to overcome. As you know we weren't going to let you race. Based upon the stock stability index requirement listed in the NOR. It was your persistence and effort to get an independent naval architect to come up with the the restricted travel option that swayed the board. But, we did require that you sail your qualifier in that configuration.  I know it was additional hurdles to you. But, based upon the history of the Schock 40 we just wanted to make sure.

You were placed in the only division that was setup for moveable ballast. Yeah, performance wise you should have been placed with the J125s. But, again it was the canter thing. 

You were certainly the most entertaining award recipient of the evening. You had the audience in stitches. Hopefully, 2021 you'll grace the stage again...only for a more prestigious award.

Aloha

Tom

• Like 2

I don't have the ruling in front of me at the moment.  But, as I recall it was between 10 and 15 degrees of max either side. Not great for reaching. But, running not so bad. 

8 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

I don't have the ruling in front of me at the moment.  But, as I recall it was between 10 and 15 degrees of max either side. Not great for reaching. But, running not so bad. 

Might not have been a huge penalty.  The Volvo boats found that they were faster without going full cant.  Less unwanted heeling moment.  Less leeway on reaches.  The Cookson 50's seem to do just fine with a 35° canting limitation built into the design.

They definitively lost some sail carrying capability at certain angles. We did not intend to hobble them. We only intended to live by the conditions of the NOR. It's a fairness and consistency issue. Now; Jason or anyone else can present an argument as to why we should lower the stability index requirement for the 2021.  But, that can open up a whole new can of worms. And, fundamentally we want to run a safe fair race. We are open to progressing the performance envelope. But, we are also aware of how fast things can and do go sideways out there. So, as a board we try to keep it sane.

17.5 degree limitation, and I can tell you after three days of reaching - it mattered. lol. As Alfonso (guy that funded the Schock 40 molds) said, "Oh, man... they chopped your balls off."

Don't get me wrong. My little "Gamble" is still a quick boat, but holy crap...

In the included picture - you can pick out Gamble as the only boat with white sails on the line at the start. She's a bit wee compared to the others.

67345628_2840486019299176_6186803327922077696_o.jpg

• Like 1

let me clarify on the limitation - we were reduced our cant angle to 37.5 degrees from 55 degrees. The boat is only 7000 lbs at 40 feet, so we noticed right away that we had a hard time keeping her on her feet during the reaching portion. Once we got her pointed down wind, we had barely any cant angle at all, and when we could fly the spins she would fly down the course (top speed we recorded on the boat was 22kts.) 

I'm not complaining. Not one bit. Just LOVED the challenge. Perhaps, next time, instead of putting a boat into a fleet based on a canting keel, the decision will be made to place boats into fleets based on performance. Yes - we should have probably been with the 125s, and who knows how we would have done under the same wind conditions... maybe we'll find out next time?

Have a great night, and, as I said at the line, thanks, Tom, for helping us get there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JasonSeibert said:

let me clarify on the limitation - we were reduced our cant angle to 37.5 degrees from 55 degrees. The boat is only 7000 lbs at 40 feet, so we noticed right away that we had a hard time keeping her on her feet during the reaching portion. Once we got her pointed down wind, we had barely any cant angle at all, and when we could fly the spins she would fly down the course (top speed we recorded on the boat was 22kts.) 

I'm not complaining. Not one bit. Just LOVED the challenge. Perhaps, next time, instead of putting a boat into a fleet based on a canting keel, the decision will be made to place boats into fleets based on performance. Yes - we should have probably been with the 125s, and who knows how we would have done under the same wind conditions... maybe we'll find out next time?

Have a great night, and, as I said at the line, thanks, Tom, for helping us get there.

congrats brother!

• Like 1

Well done Jason and your good grace at the "obstacles" is a great lesson.

4 hours ago, JasonSeibert said:

let me clarify on the limitation - we were reduced our cant angle to 37.5 degrees from 55 degrees.

Damn .... 55 deg.... that's just about enough for the crew to use as a foot rest while sitting on the rail..... 

On 9/4/2019 at 5:46 PM, JasonSeibert said:

Well - that was a lot of fun. 

Yes, Gamble was the smallest boat on the fastest line. My favorite question was, "who in the hell did you piss off to get put on THAT line?." Quite a few people wondered why I did it in a Schock 40. "Do you know that the keel falls off," they would ask."OH MY GAWWD!! You're kidding!?!" became my standard response. Sure, nobody knows the amount of refit I put into that boat for the past year to make her ocean ready. Well, maybe a few do, but the number is small regardless. Surely not a single person on the dock before the race that asked that stupid question.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we were one of the only boats that was not only required to restrict the function of the boat by committee, but afterwards, with only days before the race, forced to prove a 150-mile qualifier as a result of the forced modification by committee before we would be allowed to be on the line.

Yes - I was tail-end-charlie. It's true. But I'm proud that we finished in under 11 days. Not a small accomplishment for a 40 foot boat that started in light winds on the last day.

I'm sure you have questions: Yes, it is a very wet boat. NO, the keel did not fall off. Yes, that was the first time any of us did that race. NO, it was not the first time we'd done an offshore race, but it was the first time we'd raced as a crew. NO, it was not the first time a Schock 40 did the Transpac. Yes, it is a fast boat and has to be sailed with no regard to life or property to make her go fast. And finally, YES - Rod Job really does spew rainbows out of his mouth and his ass as well.

Gamble is back in Texas for a bit of refit before the most spectacular 150 mile drag race I've ever done. The Bacardi Cup Harvest Moon Regatta. Galveston to Port Aransas. After that we have our eyes on the SORC series, although I wonder what kind of debris we might face after Dorian.

Lastly, yes - it is a bitch to cross the line last, but it is a joy to have finished when so many of you fuckers out there said we couldn't or told me outright that I would die. To that, "tell me I can't?  Hold my beer."

gambleatdiamondhead.jpg

Great write-up, and great photo. Glad you guys had a good time. Thanks for spreading the Schock love.

For what it's worth, I have sailed a few thousand miles on a Schock 40, and the keel is still firmly attached. 

On 9/4/2019 at 8:37 PM, Tom O'Keefe said:

They definitively lost some sail carrying capability at certain angles. We did not intend to hobble them. We only intended to live by the conditions of the NOR. It's a fairness and consistency issue. Now; Jason or anyone else can present an argument as to why we should lower the stability index requirement for the 2021.  But, that can open up a whole new can of worms. And, fundamentally we want to run a safe fair race. We are open to progressing the performance envelope. But, we are also aware of how fast things can and do go sideways out there. So, as a board we try to keep it sane.

Tom, thanks for accommodating Gamble in the Transpac, and for responding here openly and honestly. 

Limiting cant on reaching angles is quite certainly an impediment. At deeper angles, not so much. As Jason mentioned, this boat sails with zero or close to zero cant downwind.

Regarding fairness, the stability index only accounts for maximum cant. Things are unlikely to go pear-shaped at reaching angles and maximum cant. Stability becomes an issue in heavy air downwind, when a broach or crash jibe could put the boat on her ear with the ballast on the wrong side. But since we are sailing with near zero cant already, the stability index would realistically be much closer to that of a "normal" boat. Perhaps the actual handling characteristics of a yacht could be considered in the SER? 

To be clear, I'm not putting words in Jason's mouth - just stating my perspective as a Schock 40 sailor.

• Like 1