cameras4toys

Bareboat charter in Croatia - no certification required?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know of a charter boat operator/owner in Croatia who is not going to force me/or husband to show a license? My husband and I have extensive cruising experience and own our own boat and don't want to spend $550 + the time to prove we know how to do it. Additionally, the ASA is the only one in my area doing certs and the ASA/IPC isn't always listed on sites as a license. I respect the value to do it, but am interested if it's possible to go without. 

Worst case, buy a boat for the vacation and resell it. Sounds like more hassle and money than the cert to me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cameras4toys said:

Does anyone know of a charter boat operator/owner in Croatia who is not going to force me/or husband to show a license?

In Croatia /and onboard Croatia registered vessel/ possession of a skippers licence is a legal requirement, and one person should also have a VHF licence. There is an official list of recognised licences which is published by the authorities you can view the list here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there is any way out of it.

The cost is minor and it took me half a day and a bit of reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cameras4toys said:

Does anyone know of a charter boat operator/owner in Croatia who is not going to force me/or husband to show a license? My husband and I have extensive cruising experience and own our own boat and don't want to spend $550 + the time to prove we know how to do it. Additionally, the ASA is the only one in my area doing certs and the ASA/IPC isn't always listed on sites as a license. I respect the value to do it, but am interested if it's possible to go without. 

Worst case, buy a boat for the vacation and resell it. Sounds like more hassle and money than the cert to me.

 

Even if you buy a boat your will need an ICC. I think there is a school where you can do it over there before you go if you want, but many charter companies won't let you book without it.

BTW you might want to think about what other areas of the business a charter company that is willing to be 'flexible' about breaking the law might be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yah...you dont need a real license, you need what us termed th international certificate of competency 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Certificate_of_Competence

if you like sailing and plan on chartering boats in future you should get one.

again, its not a complex USCG license.  Its just money , paperwork and a test .

if you are a sailor,  you will pass effortlessly 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an American I got my ICC in a rather crafty way, all documented at the link below. As others note the rules and laws are in flux and not uniformly enforced. What you find in one place (or day!) might be different the next.

If you have decent skills you can test out of the ICC in a day challenge test. Make sure your paper-based tidal navigation and international buoyage is up to scratch.

 

http://rarerarebird.blogspot.com/2017/03/getting-international-certificate-of.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 12:49 AM, slug zitski said:

 

if you are a sailor,  With a knowledge of tidal navigation, the colregs, boat handling and safety, you will pass effortlessly 

 

I have failed a 470 national champion. Bit more to it than being a 'Sailor'. But true it is not difficult, as demonstrated by you passing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a USCG license (w/ sailing endorsement) is not on the list from Croatia.  Is it good elsewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, blurocketsmate said:

So a USCG license (w/ sailing endorsement) is not on the list from Croatia.  Is it good elsewhere?

I have used a USCG license in Croatia...never had a problem.  Im   Foreign flag , private. 

 Its possible they have different rules for operating Croatian flagged boats.

that international certificate of competency is worth while. Get it.  The British yachtmaster is also very good. 

commercial qualifications  have many restrictions and they can expire

with a commercial license it might be implied that you are " working ".   When  you make a mistake and have commercial documents, you might be on your way to jail.

when you make a mistake with a certificate of competency , you are just another dopey bareboat charter,..the authorities typicaly give you a good whack upside the head with a rubber hose ,  empty some money from your pockets then  send  you back to your  beer 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-01-02 at 9:49 AM, slug zitski said:

its not a complex USCG license.  Its just money , paperwork and a test.

I.e., just like a USCG licence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2018 at 6:42 AM, slug zitski said:

I have used a USCG license in Croatia...never had a problem.  Im   Foreign flag , private. 

 

 

That's interesting they took that. Was it a 6-pack? The 6-pack has no demonstrated competency requirement. No OTW testing, its all on your word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

That's interesting they took that. Was it a 6-pack? The 6-pack has no demonstrated competency requirement. No OTW testing, its all on your word.

It is complete bullshit, they won't accept it. Slug has no idea. I doubt he has ever even been to Croatia. 

If you google fuckwit his picture pops up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we chartered in Croatia, I couldn't find my 40yo Yachtmaster ticket, so I emailed YA and asked if they could provide a copy.  Their response was "we no longer recognise that qualification" - a qualification THEY gave me after I helped set up the scheme.  How do you "no longer recognise" your own qualification?

Anyway, they sent a link, which I didn't open for a few weeks.  When I did open it, I was bemused to find that in their records I was Yachtmaster Examiner - a qual I never sought.

The skipper of the other boat in our charter got her Yachtmaster qual at the same time as I, but her husband had Master V Commercial tickets so their boat was OK either way. 

As it turned out, Sunsail at Marina had no qualms accepting my "invalid" qualification.

There's a reason the charter companies want to know you are competent - weather on the Dalmation coast isn't always benign, and relying on a chartplotter as your navigation skill can bring you undone in crowded waters, in low vis conditions (sorry!) when a lightning strike zaps your electronics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Anyway, they sent a link, which I didn't open for a few weeks.  When I did open it, I was bemused to find that in their records I was Yachtmaster Examiner - a qual I never sought.

Mate I could use an Examiner next week if you are free...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Mate I could use an Examiner next week if you are free...

Must be the day for job offers - I just had a guy digging a trench for some electrical stuff at home, and after he went through the rainwater pipes he noticed the project boat in the shed and asked if I could do some fibreglass work on his Bolwell!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its also posted in my blog entry noted above, but here is the official Croatian document listing acceptable forms of licence. Note that the UK commercials (Master, etc) are listed along with the RYC certs, while the USA commercials are NOT. This is due to the lack of OTW observed competency testing in the USCG commercial testing.

 

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8c84KWBFmh7QnJZeUNBMGFCbEU/edit

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

Must be the day for job offers - I just had a guy digging a trench for some electrical stuff at home, and after he went through the rainwater pipes he noticed the project boat in the shed and asked if I could do some fibreglass work on his Bolwell!

He probably pays better than we do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

He probably pays better than we do.

If he's got a Bolwell, he appears to GET paid more than I do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the  junk written here is crazy .

for bareboat charter , many pieces of paper prove competence.

 Concerning commercial licenses...no country honors another countries commercial license for domestic commercial operation .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2018 at 5:51 PM, slug zitski said:

 

 Concerning commercial licenses...no country honors another countries commercial license for domestic commercial operation .

 

 

Ever heard of the RYA Yachtmaster offshore?  It is formally recognized for commercial use in 21 other countries and is accepted in many others. True US near coastal waters tickets under 200 tons are not recognized, and that is because they are crap. Hell your warship captains can't even keep out of the way of other vessels.

Have you heard of google? Do us all a favor and use it instead of just pulling facts out of your arse. You are fast becoming the biggest dickhead on this forum. And that is no mean achievement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop it..your head is spinning out of control.  

No country honors another countries commercial liscesnse for internal commercial operation.

None..is this perfectly clear.

a british yachtmaster  or German master mariner in not permitted to  commercially operate  any flag boat operating in the united states

if you do you , will be arrested..

if you arrived in Croatia...with any license and wish to operate a commercial flag you would first...become a citizen of croatia , then get a croatian license.

Personal private use of a boat..a bareboat charter is not a commercial activety .....does not require a license ..it requires a certificate on competency to prove to maritime authorities that you are not blind and that you know the rules of the road.

.a commercial license is definatly a certificate of competency and you will be able to charter any bareboat your wish 

 

stop speaking about things you dont know about .

fools lke you confuse readers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

 

No country honors another countries commercial liscesnse for internal commercial operation.

None..is this perfectly clear.

Not a 'liscesnse' (Bwawawawawa - you should think before you type) perhaps, but they certainly accept a certificate of competence. We do here in Australia. 

https://www.amsa.gov.au/qualifications-training/domestic-qualifications/exemption-18-marine-safety-sail-2017-effective-1

As do most reputable Maritime nations. You chaps mightn't but then again you can't even get your buoys painted the right colours. I have worked all over the world commercially  as a Australian with a British qualification - Greece, Italy, France, NZ, the pacific islands, Korea to name some. The RYA estimate that there are around 25 000 MCA Certificate holders working abroad.

'None..is this perfectly clear.' 

Thanks for playing, dickwad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have polluted the whole thread.

the OP asked what document is needed to charter a boat in Croatia.

certificate of competence...ask the charter agent how to qualify for one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

You have polluted the whole thread.

the OP asked what document is needed to charter a boat in Croatia.

certificate of competence...ask the charter agent how to qualify for one 

And you, as usual, waded in swinging your dick around and sprouting, as usual, absolute bullshit, which i corrected. Like your 'None..is this perfectly clear.' drivel about certificates of Competence. Which i have just shown is complete crap so you now want to change the subject.

This circus has got better since you applied for the job as clown.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2018 at 3:21 AM, Silverbullet said:

Uhhhhh, tits??

Wtf is wrong with you people!?

 

It occurred to me. Wisely she wandered first in to Cruising Anarchy, the kinder gentler corner of SA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the OP.

The consensus here is that the answer to your initial question is No.

So are you getting some certificate of competence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the original poster, I appreciate the feedback and didn’t love the petty banter and faceless low blows.

I will go for my ASA104 cert starting with ASA101 equivalency test. when it’s time to book a charter in the coming years, I’ll have it. I agree everyone can benefit from some structured courses but it’s hard to pay up. I wish I could take a test locally to get certified, in a day, but that’s not going to happen in the Seattle area and would cost a pretty penny anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cameras4toys said:

As the original poster, I appreciate the feedback and didn’t love the petty banter and faceless low blows.

I will go for my ASA104 cert starting with ASA101 equivalency test. when it’s time to book a charter in the coming years, I’ll have it. I agree everyone can benefit from some structured courses but it’s hard to pay up. I wish I could take a test locally to get certified, in a day, but that’s not going to happen in the Seattle area and would cost a pretty penny anyway. 

The banter is a bonus. When you get to know us, you'll get to love us.

Maybe not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2018 at 12:53 PM, cameras4toys said:

 

That's the deal.

 

Don'd forget that in Croatia you will need a VHF radio operators licence. A non-expiring FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit will work perfectly, its like a form to fill and 60 bucks and its yours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a reasonable amount of sailing under your belt the ICC one day certification ( I recall it being 4 hours) is a good option.  You need to read the handbook that you can buy so that you understand and are prepared for the technical buoyage/markers questions. I learned a fair bit and enjoyed and benefited from the experience.  Do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2018 at 12:48 AM, Jackdaw said:

 

That's the deal.

 

Don'd forget that in Croatia you will need a VHF radio operators licence. A non-expiring FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit will work perfectly, its like a form to fill and 60 bucks and its yours.

 

Seems to be about 50/50 for charter companies wanting a VHF licence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2018 at 11:39 PM, LB 15 said:

Seems to be about 50/50 for charter companies wanting a VHF licence.

 

That makes sense.. its not like the government asks them for a log of licences or the like. In the USA its not mandatory, unless your boat has a limited marine station licence, which is needed to register an MMSI with the FCC for use in international and non-USA waters. As I did that, I had one already. But it would be my luck to get the hard-core dock jockey who wanted it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in Oz it is required  for any one with a VHF on their boat although there is no requirement for a ships station licence unless the boat has MF/HF. The vast majority of people that I examine for the Short range certificate these days are doing it to get an MMSI for Their AIS rather than to use a VHF. Having said that I don't know of anyone ever being fined for using a VHF without a licence. The water police just warn you and tell you to get one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Here in Oz it is required  for any one with a VHF on their boat although there is no requirement for a ships station licence unless the boat has MF/HF. The vast majority of people that I examine for the Short range certificate these days are doing it to get an MMSI for Their AIS rather than to use a VHF. Having said that I don't know of anyone ever being fined for using a VHF without a licence. The water police just warn you and tell you to get one. 

I hold a marine radio operators ticket, because the fuckwits in charge of offshore racing decree that it must be so, but offshore racing aside, I have never heard of anyone non-commercial, ever, ever being asked for proof of that ticket. Maybe things are different on the big Island?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Weyalan said:

I hold a marine radio operators ticket

like wise and never been asked to show it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only heard of two occasions when it was clear from the radio speak the guy had no idea. Kind of like the charter boat show in the Whitsundays every morning. As I said neither were fined, just warned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Kind of like the charter boat show in the Whitsundays every morning.

we've run out of anchors :blink:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Weyalan said:

I hold a marine radio operators ticket, because the fuckwits in charge of offshore racing decree that it must be so, but offshore racing aside, I have never heard of anyone non-commercial, ever, ever being asked for proof of that ticket. Maybe things are different on the big Island?

 

'The fuckwits' are only making sure you comply with the law. I think ensuring that someone on board knows how to work the radio is a great idea...why are so many people who race so resentful of training?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mid said:

we've run out of anchors :blink:

Best I have personally heard went like this-

Charter base -'good morning (boat name) how was your evening.

Punter - 'Ok except for the fire'

Charter base - (a long pause then) 'I will call you on the mobile'.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

stealth mode :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mid said:

we've run out of anchors :blink:

Not quite the same, but anchoring in Croatia is an enormously entertaining exercise.  Once securely anchored yourself, just sit back and watch everyone else.  You may need to hurl abuse at several who drop anchor immediately in front of you and proceed to drift back, but eventually they get the message and fuck off.  Then you can turn your attention to hot chicks in minimal clothing who clearly have no idea.  They lay out the anchor, and all the chain on board, in one spot, then proceed to reverse - wondering why the anchor never seems to hold!  The majority of charterers are accustomed to a Med moor, but have never anchored in their lives.  Great, I tell ya!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LB 15 said:

'The fuckwits' are only making sure you comply with the law. I think ensuring that someone on board knows how to work the radio is a great idea...why are so many people who race so resentful of training?

 

I'm not resentful of training per se (in fact I have a question for you regarding training, but I'll save it for a PM), and I do understand that legally one should (if your radio transmits at above a certain wattage, no?) but if there are 200 boats in our marina, I'd bet that the only owners who have radio licenses are the  10 or so who race offshore, and the marine police certainly don't seem to mind the other 190...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will bet you are right. Same here. The exam just got a little more relevant in Aus with a practical component but the syllabus is big on DSC , batteries ( including remembering the specific gravity of a charged cell!) and SaR which they do their best to make as confusing as possible. Using a VHF ain't brain surgery I am sure you will agree. We run a one day course on how to pass the exam AND how to use a radio as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I will bet you are right. Same here. The exam just got a little more relevant in Aus with a practical component but the syllabus is big on DSC , batteries ( including remembering the specific gravity of a charged cell!) and SaR which they do their best to make as confusing as possible. Using a VHF ain't brain surgery I am sure you will agree. We run a one day course on how to pass the exam AND how to use a radio as well.

Friend of mine told me about some of that bullshit - it's why I couldn't be bothered myself. Reminds me of the crap needed to get a ham radio licence. Far too much aggravation for the return when I can buy a sat phone instead.

OK I break the law by operating a hand-held VHF without a licence. I'm fine with that. I've been doing it with Govt supplied radios since I was in my 20's.

Pretty funny when Jaycar sell pretty decent UHF radios for peanuts.

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now