• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
cameras4toys

Bareboat charter in Croatia - no certification required?

Does anyone know of a charter boat operator/owner in Croatia who is not going to force me/or husband to show a license? My husband and I have extensive cruising experience and own our own boat and don't want to spend $550 + the time to prove we know how to do it. Additionally, the ASA is the only one in my area doing certs and the ASA/IPC isn't always listed on sites as a license. I respect the value to do it, but am interested if it's possible to go without. 

Worst case, buy a boat for the vacation and resell it. Sounds like more hassle and money than the cert to me.

1 hour ago, cameras4toys said:

Does anyone know of a charter boat operator/owner in Croatia who is not going to force me/or husband to show a license?

In Croatia /and onboard Croatia registered vessel/ possession of a skippers licence is a legal requirement, and one person should also have a VHF licence. There is an official list of recognised licences which is published by the authorities you can view the list here

I don't think there is any way out of it.

The cost is minor and it took me half a day and a bit of reading.

13 hours ago, cameras4toys said:

Does anyone know of a charter boat operator/owner in Croatia who is not going to force me/or husband to show a license? My husband and I have extensive cruising experience and own our own boat and don't want to spend $550 + the time to prove we know how to do it. Additionally, the ASA is the only one in my area doing certs and the ASA/IPC isn't always listed on sites as a license. I respect the value to do it, but am interested if it's possible to go without. 

Worst case, buy a boat for the vacation and resell it. Sounds like more hassle and money than the cert to me.

Even if you buy a boat your will need an ICC. I think there is a school where you can do it over there before you go if you want, but many charter companies won't let you book without it.

BTW you might want to think about what other areas of the business a charter company that is willing to be 'flexible' about breaking the law might be.

Yah...you dont need a real license, you need what us termed th international certificate of competency 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Certificate_of_Competence

if you like sailing and plan on chartering boats in future you should get one.

again, its not a complex USCG license.  Its just money , paperwork and a test .

if you are a sailor,  you will pass effortlessly 

As an American I got my ICC in a rather crafty way, all documented at the link below. As others note the rules and laws are in flux and not uniformly enforced. What you find in one place (or day!) might be different the next.

If you have decent skills you can test out of the ICC in a day challenge test. Make sure your paper-based tidal navigation and international buoyage is up to scratch.

http://rarerarebird.blogspot.com/2017/03/getting-international-certificate-of.html

On 1/3/2018 at 12:49 AM, slug zitski said:

if you are a sailor,  With a knowledge of tidal navigation, the colregs, boat handling and safety, you will pass effortlessly 

I have failed a 470 national champion. Bit more to it than being a 'Sailor'. But true it is not difficult, as demonstrated by you passing.

11 hours ago, blurocketsmate said:

So a USCG license (w/ sailing endorsement) is not on the list from Croatia.  Is it good elsewhere?

I have used a USCG license in Croatia...never had a problem.  Im   Foreign flag , private. 

Its possible they have different rules for operating Croatian flagged boats.

that international certificate of competency is worth while. Get it.  The British yachtmaster is also very good. 

commercial qualifications  have many restrictions and they can expire

with a commercial license it might be implied that you are " working ".   When  you make a mistake and have commercial documents, you might be on your way to jail.

when you make a mistake with a certificate of competency , you are just another dopey bareboat charter,..the authorities typicaly give you a good whack upside the head with a rubber hose ,  empty some money from your pockets then  send  you back to your  beer