GauchoGreg

Spindrift 2 Jules Verne 2017

The big girl of the G-class fleet is going on standby starting November 6 (around the same time as Gabart's solo standby).  Will be interesting if they take off around the same time, how the big bad Spindrift goes against the nimble Macif.  Boys only for this effort by Spindrift.

http://www.spindrift-racing.com/news/spindrift-racing-confirms-crew-and-start-standby-new-speed-record-attempt

• Like 2

Any info on changes to the boat since the last attempt? I thought she was given more than just a refit but can't find anything from the team or media outlets. 

Thanks GG for this thread. Looking forward to another attempt. Expect Fralo's site (and translations like Laurent's) will be useful once again for keeping up with the progress.

Spindrift English portal looks like a good way to follow them once they set out to beat IDEC's time. Video preview of the website here

Anybody see any close-up photos of the new Spindrift foils?  They had been using "C" foils, but it sounds like they now have some form of "L/V" lifting surface (I won't use the UT badge to avoid the risk of encouraging a certain poster around here), possibly surface piercing (from reading Spindrift's site), but it will obviously only be to reduce wetted surface area, not truly foil.

OK, found the details (gtrans, and another pic):

In the E-Magazine just launched Spindrift Racing, we learn that after a thorough study, the team has "activated new optimizations this winter for the trimaran XXL".

"Following the port foil damage that occurred during the Jules Verne Trophy attempt at the end of 2015, the design team worked this year on new foils aboard Spindrift 2. The team made a new TIP (sort of wing on the lower part of the foil) which is now pointing upwards and allows lifter bow.This optimization that could be tested during the Transat Quebec-Saint Malo this summer, had a positive effect on the performance. pushing vertically to the front of the boat, the team had to work this winter on a new port rudder (positioned at the rear).
Its new shape and position at the rear of the float helps to put Spindrift 2 in balance. The combined action of the foil and T-shaped saffron will make a vertical push on the hull that will relieve Spindrift 2.
The water resistance on the hull and its penetration into the water will be reduced and the trimaran will gain speed.

© The Telegramhttp: //www.letelegramme.fr/voile/maxi-trimaran-de-nouveaux-foils-pour-spindrift-2-06-01-2017-11353954.php#4QRWDFidxQ7WLfUf.99

maxi-trimaran-de-nouveaux-foils-pour-spi

Thanks for that link to Fralo's site stief, good stuff. That FOCUS magazine you linked also has some nice info and insight into the organisation and logistics behind such a sporting endeavour. Super happy to see some first hand English content for one of these attempts, hope other teams follow suit and add some English subtitles, seems like such a low cost way to get much wider exposure.

As far as I can tell, changes for this attempt from the last one are:

• new main foil tips, look very much like the boards on Sodebo now
  • T-foil on rudders
  • Reduced weight due to:
    • 12 crew instead of 14
    • new, lighter sails
    • "other" weight reductions are mentioned but found no specific details. Anyone know what those kinds of weight saving efforts look like on a boat that was launched as a cost-no-object marvel of modern rope work? The usual replace ss fitting with soft attachment probably doesn't apply here...

Still running the shorter mast (by 3m) compared to Loick's go round as BPV. Yann reckons they can't shorten it any further due to the platform weight, they'll end up too slow under 18 knots TWS.

Hope they get a weather window soon!

Now that the campaign is getting hot Spindrift is publishing a lot of videos. As usual they are either subtitled or there is an EN version.

Link to the YT channel

Here is one about the Trophy itself:

And one about navigation when you have to beat a 40 day record, 6 days to Brazil or bust:

That was interesting.   I never knew a lot of that.  Thank you.

Saturday looks like an ok window, nothing great, but ok

(even today in fact)

No green light yet, given the 6 day Brazil target, they're looking for a very specific window.

There may be a spell on this boat ! :) : they will wait till the end of the year without going, what happened to Bidegorry I forgot in which year, and also what costed him the skipper position on it I think, knowing that at that time they for sure could have chosen a very average window and still make the record.

Ok, this boat also got the JV trophy the year after Bidegorry didn't start with Peyron, so not systematic ...

Pretty sure Guichard's job is not in jeopardy whether they go or not.

Yes, they didn't start the stand by earlier because of his job, and as long as he is with Dona, I guess he is pretty safe ...

On 11/10/2017 at 2:46 AM, Chasm said:

Now that the campaign is getting hot Spindrift is publishing a lot of videos. As usual they are either subtitled or there is an EN version.

Link to the YT channel

Here is one about the Trophy itself:

And one about navigation when you have to beat a 40 day record, 6 days to Brazil or bust:

Thanks for those video links! GREAT STUFF!!!

Looking at windy, Thursday/Friday looks like a possible window, although they would probably need to go along the African coast to pass the Canaries, (the trades are still messed up)

Next Friday/Saturday (December 8 or 9) look like a good window on windy right now, and the trades should have recovered by then.

Friday still looks like an ok window, hope they get in Orange code soon.

(their communication is really minimal ...)

No Orange code, so I guess they won't start tomorrow ...

Next Monday looks really ok as well.

2 hours ago, yl75 said:

No Orange code, so I guess they won't start tomorrow ...

Next Monday looks really ok as well.

thanks for the update, keep them coming :)

1 hour ago, Jazz Freak said:

thanks for the update, keep them coming :)

Would be nice if spindrift were communicating a bit more on their plans, I try to push them on twitter but they don't answer ..

(did the same with Macif and they did answer ;) )

• Like 3

btw, thanks to you and a few trusted others, your updates have been much appreciated as the best way to keep in touch with many of the RTW campaigns this season. Keeping up with the VOR has been demanding.

They remain in Code red, but tomorow morning they go to Brest ...

Monday looks likes a great window for the beginning, but the doldrums mays be quite wide and established, and trying to look at the south Atlantic , it might not be great ...

They need to start anyway.

Spindrift 2 docked at the Malbert pier in Brest on Sunday, December 9 around 3:15 pm (French time)

Capture.PNG

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

I like this photo

sprindrift01.jpg

Dude! That looks like copyright infringement there! Definitely stolen from the original FiReArroW!!! ;>)

• Like 2

Spindrift 2 has now moved to the Port du Chateau to leave the place for Macif i guess, impressive sight among the other cruisers.

image1[466].JPG

They must get quite nervous regarding getting a proper window ...

Each time I look at the forecast, there is a window like in a week or so, and then it disapears.

Right now Saturday 6 looks ok, but will it hold ..

• Like 2

Yes! this it seems to hold ...

Wow, now at  +48 a big light wind area around the canaries, even south westerlies north of that, don't really understand why they didn't take the beginning of this window, but looks like it is getting too late now ...

6 hours ago, yl75 said:

Wow, now at  +48 a big light wind area around the canaries, even south westerlies north of that, don't really understand why they didn't take the beginning of this window, but looks like it is getting too late now ...

A generally well-informed French website announces a Spindrift 2 departure on the night of Monday to Tuesday (French hours)

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ei=UTF-8&fr=bf-badge&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.letelegramme.fr%2Fvoile%2Ftrophee-jules-verne-spindrift-met-le-nez-a-la-fenetre-04-01-2018-11801689.php&lp=fr_en&submit=Traduite

I looked at the weather forecast for the next week and I really do not see how it would be possible ...

Yes, they say they want to head West up to crossing the front before going South, looks possible , and the light zone around the Canaries looks a bit better now, will not be a great North Atlantic for sure, but hope they start.

Guichard also says that their stand by ends end January.

More recent article also from le telegramme :

http://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/trophee-jules-verne-yann-guichard-j-espere-que-c-est-le-bon-depart-07-01-2018-11804437.php

32 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Yes, they say they want to head West up to crossing the front before going South, looks possible , and the light zone around the Canaries looks a bit better now, will not be a great North Atlantic for sure, but hope they start.

Guichard also says that their stand by ends end January.

More recent article also from le telegramme :

http://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/trophee-jules-verne-yann-guichard-j-espere-que-c-est-le-bon-depart-07-01-2018-11804437.php

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ei=UTF-8&fr=bf-badge&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.letelegramme.fr%2Fvoile%2Ftrophee-jules-verne-yann-guichard-j-espere-que-c-est-le-bon-depart-07-01-2018-11804437.php&lp=fr_en&submit=Traduite

Wait a moment for the translation to appear on the screen.

Not a bad translator that microsoft, feels better then the google one.

Waiting for windows for a few months, how boring for the sailors onboard.

Great they started.

English and French artcile on Spindrift site :

The official website Spindrift announces that the trimaran will drop its moorings at 18h (French time) 17h (UTC)

Yann Guichard on Twitter : " We will cross the line off Ushant between 8pm and 1am UTC "

Yann Guichard : " This is not a typical weather window, we will have a hard first few days but anticipate reaching the equator in just over 5 days "

sprindrift04.jpg

Brest 15h36 UTC (photo Yannick Le Bris)

25 minutes ago, yl75 said:

They put the speeds in Km/h and not in knots, that kind of  sucks (dont't like their communication and site much overall ...)

Me too !!!

• Like 1

Sad news from Twitter : @yannguichard, skipper of Spindrift 2, has made the difficult decision to return to Brest after receiving the latest weather files at 8pm, which show very light winds at Ushant. It is anticipated that the team will aim to restart in about five days on the 14/15 January.

".@YannGuichard, skipper of Spindrift 2, has made the difficult decision to return to Brest after receiving the latest weather files at 8pm, which show very light winds at Ushant. It is anticipated that the team will aim to restart in about five days on the 14/15 January."

https://twitter.com/spindriftracing/status/950461086884614144

Strange, that tweet doesn't want to paste properly, deleted ?

Ah sorry, double post

Edit : They just changed the text a bit :

• Like 2

Makes me wonder about chances.

Taking an early but slightly marginal window might be increasingly worth it. If the first days do not work out, or the rest of the track looks bad there is enough time left in the season to bail out and try again.
If you wait and wait there might be only marginal starts left.

• Like 1

The 14/15 window has deteriorated a lot .. And is now more a 16 window

Message from Yann Guichard : “We are now Code Green: the latest weather files confirm our departure from the pontoon around noon today, with a Jules Verne Trophy line crossing following quickly.  The 25-30 knot wind from west to north-west will strengthen as we cross the Bay of Biscay, and we are expecting big seas with five metre waves.  It looks like the first 12 hours will be hard going, but then the wind will soften off Cape Finisterre to more moderate trade winds, and we will be doing a lot of gybes towards the Canary Islands.”

http://www.spindrift-racing.com/news/jules-verne-trophy-start-monday-en

Sorry..

Dismast?

I were at work & one net.

Horror...

On 9.1.2018 at 5:11 AM, Chasm said:

Makes me wonder about chances.

Taking an early but slightly marginal window might be increasingly worth it. If the first days do not work out, or the rest of the track looks bad there is enough time left in the season to bail out and try again.
If you wait and wait there might be only marginal starts left.

Time to add: You also may be able fix your boat in time to try again...

Any word on probable causes yet? Crew still asleep so shortly after leaving the harbor?
Yeah, if it had to happen good thing that it happened so soon. Shortens the drama substantially.

9/10 failures like this seem to come from a single strop failure or similar $10-40 dollar part. My guess is this will be no different. 

Yann Guichard. : “Everything happened very fast! In a few seconds, the mast was down. We have been waiting for two months for this new attempt on the Jules Verne Trophy: this window was our last chance. It is a big disappointment for the whole team, both at sea, and on land as we were all ready. We have spent a lot of time optimising the boat, and everything collapses in a few moments,”

"We were heading to the start line: there were relatively strong conditions with 30 knots of wind and three metre troughs. A few moments before we were going to tack towards Pointe Saint-Mathieu, the mast broke for some unknown reason. The most important thing is that there were no injuries on board. Unfortunately we had to drop the mast into the sea as we did not want to take any unnecessary risks for the crew because we were very close to the rocks at Toulinguet. Operations are currently underway to recover the mast and rigging as quickly as possible, as the weather is set to deteriorate early tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. We will now start the process of understanding what has happened,"

2.jpg

1.jpg

13 minutes ago, ASP said:

9/10 failures like this seem to come from a single strop failure or similar $10-40 dollar part. My guess is this will be no different. 

Nothing on that boat is $10-40...

Terrible news but better there were it can be towed and repaired 

Just now, PIL007 said:

Nothing on that boat is $10-40...

Terrible news but better there were it can be towed and repaired 

Fair point but you understand what I'm getting at. 

• Like 1

ah this is a sad sight. I remember sailing as a teenager in dinghies and the yachts going out past us at our cadet week. there was a trimaran there who set off to go round the isle of man but returned unexpectedly a day later. it took us a few days to work out why she looked so weird. one of her hulls was missing...

Does anybody know if they recovered the pieces of the mast?

Not much information on the Spindrift website...

A picture taken from this link.

If you follow the link and hover the cursor over the top circle of the pic on their site looking the same as the pic partially snipped to this post, a text opens up with a content including but not limited to:

This 42m mast, already used in the 2015 record attempt, had spent a year and a half in the design and construction. 500 kg of weight had bee saved from the original mast, which is equal to 25% of its overall weight -an impressive gain thanks to the 20 odd people who worked on this project. ...

I wonder how they reduced so much weight of an existing mast (and not from a new one at a design stage), since it wasn't shortened by anywhere near 20%.

Did they simply went too far with that work eventually causing the loss of the mast?

Spindrift mast.JPG