Bump-n-Grind

2017/2018 Ski Season

Hey Bmiller, you seen this yet?

http://www.theroadwesttraveled.com/abandoned-film/

I had not seen that, looks like a cool project. I skied Geneva way back in the early 70's. I also remember skiing Arapahoe East when you could go for 25 cents a ride. And of course Berthoud was fun.

This is pretty cool also.

http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/lostresorts.html

I really want to get on the Conquistador site but it's all on private land and I think they frown on trespassing.

Just paid for 5 days heli-skiing in Nakusp in February. Been there a couple of times and really like the lodge and terrain.

Got day one in on Sunday. Didn't suck, in fact it was pretty good early.

In the afternoon I got to sit coverage at the speed venue and watch the US, Canadian, Czech and a few other teams. Those boys and girls are insanely fast.

Taos has nothing, but Carl says hi to you and D'Ranger.

I hope to get down there at least once. Even if just to visit with Carl. 

Not much more up here. If it weren't for snowmaking it would be pretty bleak. Monarch did open but I haven't been down there yet.

Niseko in Hokkaido already has 2 metres of snow at the top of the mountain. Can’t wait for Feb. We are going to try Cat Skiing - poor man’s heli-skiing. Something I’ve not done before and unlikely to do again. 

not workin at Vail this season.. probably wont bother going out until January. will do a week there and then doin a road trip down to AZ to visit someone and then wander around the PNW for a bit.

On 11/30/2017 at 1:13 AM, Bump-n-Grind said:

not workin at Vail this season.. probably wont bother going out until January. will do a week there and then doin a road trip down to AZ to visit someone and then wander around the PNW for a bit.

Bump,

When are you planning to be in Vail?  I'm planning at least 2 trips out there this season.

--Matt

12 hours ago, egon said:

Bump,

When are you planning to be in Vail?  I'm planning at least 2 trips out there this season.

--Matt

like Jan 10 or so for a week or two.. and a couple weeks a month

On 11/28/2017 at 6:09 PM, bmiller said:

I hope to get down there at least once. Even if just to visit with Carl. 

Not much more up here. If it weren't for snowmaking it would be pretty bleak. Monarch did open but I haven't been down there yet.

Been really busy but want to get up at least once - let's see if we can coordinate it.  Then you and CL can tell about how awesome all the runs I can't do are............................. which is ok, just happy to be there.

4 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Been really busy but want to get up at least once - let's see if we can coordinate it.  Then you and CL can tell about how awesome all the runs I can't do are............................. which is ok, just happy to be there.

All it takes is snow! Which is in real short supply right now. Maybe February. That's about when I'll have time.

18 hours ago, bmiller said:

All it takes is snow! Which is in real short supply right now. Maybe February. That's about when I'll have time.

Works for me - and hoping for lots of snow.

Anyone gonna be in Stowe next week?  Wed to Sun?

--Matt

Was just at Vail, No snow, they hurtin bigley...   Bowels are closed, no backside, man made mostly...  Food was good though.  Prey for snow if you are coming out...  

It is an ugly start to the season. It will get here. In the meantime Copper does a really good covering the front side of the mountain. Some years manmade is better than nothing.

Killington closed for the day today. Due to extreme wind chill and high winds. I never thought I’d see the day....

Most of the lifts were closed at Stowe, the triple was open and we got a few runs in.  I think we saw -10 air temp.  In the end the beer and fireplace in the lodge won out.

• Like 1

Big Sky is on my radar, two weeks out.

So stoked!  best snow in the west at the moment, w more coming !

CO looking boney this year...

This last storm cycle was good to us. Things are getting much better. Busy weekend so just in time for all the people visiting from everywhere.

On December 4, 2017 at 8:26 AM, bmiller said:

From the fine folks at TGR.

I've done Corbet's. The bike thing is just stupid.

In Spokane, finished at Nakusp  (CMH) today. Had 2+ feet of fresh yesterday, another foot or so today. Probably as many mountains to ski in their concession area as they have guests. We could work steeps the first 3 days with a more stable snowpack. The only pitchy stuff the last couple of days was in the trees but still, you never cross tracks unless you want to. Mostly guides I've skied with before. New chef, spectacular food. My non- skiing bride came and had a great time. The K2 Pontoons are great for the deep and creamy.

Legs are trashed. I'll try to get some pics in a couple of days, when I get home.

• Like 1

Being a former Summit County (Copper Mtn Bartender) 3 year ski bum,  I always look forward to your guys ski reports.  Especially Summit County related!

So how has the skiing been this year (bmiller, shaggy)..?

Yep, not so great. My bigger concern is water this summer. Not like 2002 but pretty close.

Maybe CL brought some down from Canadia, eh?

We were working on a 15-20' base. Slides and tree wells are the significant dangers, guides triggered a lot of slides on purpose, we triggered others. I normally do a trip every season, missed last year due to passport renewal timing issues, this might have been the best trip ever, especially since Mrs. Loser came up to keep me company. The clientele for this stuff is decidedly older and male.

I'm pretty worried about the southern Rockies fire season this year. With so little snowpack, the ground will be terribly dry. I hope some snow followed me south.

On 2/27/2018 at 9:07 AM, ErieJ24 said:

Being a former Summit County (Copper Mtn Bartender) 3 year ski bum,  I always look forward to your guys ski reports.  Especially Summit County related!

So how has the skiing been this year (bmiller, shaggy)..?

Northern mountains have done the best in this below average year with Steamboat, Winter Park, Copper, Abasin and Beaver Creek doing the best during the most recent storm cycle.  The central and southern mountains have been getting the shaft (mostly), with Wolf and Monarch just getting into solid numbers over the past two weeks or so. Wolf did its Wolf thing last week, with something stupid like 33" in 36 hours or so.

Check in here for a good summary of what to expect from Colorado forecast and conditions: Colorado Open Snow. Visit the comments as there are regulars who put up pics and videos from pretty much all over the state, both BC and resort. Some nuggets there among the garbage, just like SA.

Of course there's always the Colorado Avalanche Information Center website which has conditions and observations by zone, along with field and incident reports: CAIC Website

Skied Monarch today, not terrible but sure could use some snow. A few burnt out places but the mandatory beer and nachos in the Sidewinder Saloon was just fine. 

Will be in Vail area this Sat, Sun, & Mon.  Any one around?

--Matt

Going back out to Golden, BC from the 10th-17th if anyone is out there and wants to grab a beer.

Pretty sure you won't find it down there in Texas.

oh, dang it, that's my problem.  It did snow here a couple times, once would have been enough to ski the driveway a time or two.  Hoping this job ends in time to get up that way and in my totally random unorganized planning the big dump comes when I am there.  I've seen enough misery to last me for awhile.

Checking in from California. Up until about 10 days ago it has been terrible with so little snow. We got ~5 feet and now it’s pretty good. I went skiing for the first time last Wed. and the snow was good and good coverage. Major storm is just starting that is forecast to give us 4 - 5 feet. Bring it!!

I’m a ski tech and have been pleasantly surprised at how busy we’ve been despite  the lack of snow. I atribute that to carry over enthusiasm from last year’s epic winter. 

Skied Taos on Thursday and it was pretty thin, then they got 6 inches. Probably didn't help. About ready to write this season off.

OK back to copper and it's all better. Not sure at but better.

Tucker was worth the hike.

For all you New Englandahs, this weekend Mad River Glen is having the best skiing they've experienced in years. Or so I'm told by my son who is reveling in it while I'm spending the week visiting in Denver. Oh well.

On 3/16/2018 at 8:26 PM, bmiller said:

Skied Taos on Thursday and it was pretty thin, then they got 6 inches. Probably didn't help. About ready to write this season off.

bummer... oh well the job may not end until after season - it's the if you get off the horse job it doesn't stop and you can't get back on so there are no days off.  My ski buddy and daughter are in Utah and is better, got a foot the other day.  Hope everyone gets the big April fools dump. 

It ain't over. Copper got about 21inches from this last cycle. Although yesterday it got very warm and turned it to slop. Today is different. Heavy snow all last nightcolder temps during the day. Really freshened up the mountain. 

And where else but Colorado can you have avalanche warnings and red flag warnings on the same map.

gjt.png

Closing day is always bittersweet. End of lift served skiing, the start of mud season and springtime corn is just around the corner. Although this spring the pass I normally spend lots of time on is closed all year for a paving project. I might actually have to drive an hour or so now to get some turns in. 

Just had an awesome closing weekend at Jay Peak VT last weekend.  Only 1 lift and 3 runs open on Saturday following the big storms Friday night, but man o man was it fun. 

Nothing like sailing in your winter ski gear and then skiing in your summer sailing gear all in the same week in early May. 

Already looking forward to November.

Christ did I just say that???

On 11/1/2017 at 10:47 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

Hey Bmiller, you seen this yet?

http://www.theroadwesttraveled.com/abandoned-film/

It really is too bad that snow really never gets to those lower spots, in enough quantity, to keep a mom and pop run area viable.  I remember when a couple of them were open as we went up 70 as a kid.  Never stopped though.  The only one left is Berthoud, People still ski it and hitchhike back up, but I donno if the lift is still running up there.  Eldora and Echo Mountain are really the only viable front range hills, but echo dumped a ton of $$ into snowmaking and it is basically a terrain park, and Eldora just got bought by Vail resorts. I trained at Eldora and that frigging place is miserable Dec - March.  Not enough snow to do much other months.  Kid skied echo but he is not a park rat so that got old fast.