• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
MR.CLEAN

Favorite On-Board Videos and Photos of 2017-18 Volvo Ocean Race

Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing OBR Matt Knighton and I are launching a video podcast/TV show this week that highlights the best OBR work from each leg, and gives out an award to each OBR.  If you really liked someone's work, post it here and it will get a better chance of being featured on the show.  

Feel free to link to FB, Insta, YT, the Google Doc video log, or the VOR raw page, and thanks.

• Like 2

Yay! Just in time to incentivize me to finish watching all the Leg 1 videos. :-)

#1 vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JhKjdPewxE of course. Rare moment to catch almost all the fleet during a key moment with fine weather in an iconic passage yada yada yada. VOR was prepared and capitalized on the moment. (yeah, minimal OBR work, but still . . . )

Drone footage deserves its own category.

For OBR Photos-- the humour and framing of this still shot made it #1, but it didn't make the Best list on the VOR page

m104634_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/2017-18/cropped/1047/m104634_crop110015_800x800_proportional_1508693853FB3D.jpg

@MR.CLEAN What's the playbook for the OBRs this time? Would like to know why they were pretty quiet about hitting fish (or whatever) and the ensuing backdowns on DFRT, BRUN, and probably more.

Restrictions? Or just resting?

Interesting show. Thanks for putting it on YT, because that meant I could stream it to AirPlay and hook my wife into becoming more tolerant of my VOR pastime.

Appreciated the discussion about drone piloting. Thought jbc deserved some credit for the video indexing.

Sorry for commenting here rather than the FB feed, but I decided against a FB login.

Clean has already given me an embarrassing amount of kudos for the spreadsheet  in the forums here. And while that might be sort of interesting content for someone obsessive enough, it's way meta. This show is about the content coming off the boats, which I love and (obviously) am going to watch every minute of going forward. He doesn't need to talk about the tools he's using to organize and access that content; I'd rather he talk about the content itself, like he did.

It's true he also talked about Musto and Immersat. But they paid him to do that. :) 

I loved the focus on the human storytelling. I thought it was super interesting to hear Matt talk about how Konrad Frost was putting together those character elements with Martine, and how he (Konrad) is from a TV background.

I also loved the Scallywag on-board stuff. I wonder to what extent their looseness is the result of Witty being such a character vs. their not having a traditional sponsor so the crew doesn't need to worry about whether f-bombs (or whatever) are going to conflict with the sponsor's brand. Or maybe it's that Jeremie Lecaudey is really good at getting that stuff. Probably some of each. It will be interesting to track the output of the different OBRs as they rotate.

Loved the talk about drone shots. That low-elevation shot that Jeremie got of Scallywag was one of my favorites, too. A cool thing (that I'm sure you already know): If you want to know how high the drone was when it shot the image, find the point where the horizon intersects an object of known height. An object directly in front of the horizon is always going to be at exactly the same altitude as the observer's eye (or camera). I was super impressed to have a drone shot where the horizon cut through the boat's hull -- that is, one that was shot with the drone below deck level.

If you do q&a in future episodes, I'd love to hear Matt talk more about the experience of being on ADOR last time. Because that team was so stingy with releasing video, and because his stuff was so good in painting those human stories, I always felt deprived not to have more of it to watch. There was an early video (Leg 1 I think) where Ian was razzing him (Matt), teasing him about sleeping so much (I think? Something like that; making fun of his name because it should have been "Night Off") that made me wish I could see more of life on board Azzam.

http://lies.tumblr.com/post/100733318071/skipper-ian-walker-of-abu-dhabi-ocean

• Like 1

Look forward to seeing the next episode. One thing that I loved about the Mapfre photo is that the guys are eating - something everyone has to do - makes it relatable even to non-sailors. 

Side note: I've made some progress on automating updates to my spreadsheet. It should now update automatically every 15 minutes, with new videos that have appeared on the Raw Content page added automatically at the top. I'm adding length, people, description, and tag metadata as I have time; at least for now I'm having enough fun with it that I should be able to keep those parts pretty up-to-date.

If you click on the little "Golf Tee"-looking button:

5a00085173aeb_ScreenShot2017-11-05at10_56_12PM.png.56db8e563435af629e1f4a4f22adf85d.png

...and then choose "Create new temporary filter view" from the menu:

5a00087b06480_ScreenShot2017-11-05at10_54_00PM.png.377292a0d28914bd43af4449bb9a4dcc.png

...it lets you do things like filter the sheet on the People column to only show videos with Martine (Clean), or on the Tags column so it only shows videos I've remembered to tag "drone".

Next on my agenda (if/when I can find the time) is seeing if I can access the YouTube API to populate another tab or tabs with VOR-related YouTube videos. That stuff's already indexed and searchable, so I'm not sure it would be useful enough to be worth it, but it might be handy to have it all listed in one place.

Let me know if you have suggestions for improvement (e.g., things you'd like to have tagged). Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WVwCp5qwKKfOeAnyFJyDjAIINpPhrj_FQC20DJ7StW8/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 2

Sam's latest:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/1475.html

I'm a sucker for puppets. Couple of questions:

• Is the name of the plushie albatross "Winston"? More Winston, please. Lots more Winston.
  • Is it Liz voicing him? You get a quick view of her face at one point, and I think she looks like Liz. Definitely not Dee or Francesca, and I don't think it's Annalise. Which would leave Bianca or Liz. But I think Winston has a touch of an Aussie accent.
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, stief said:

Wisdom. VOR mascot for quite a few years. (gad, I dislike mascots. sorry.)

Ah, thanks! I remember that now.

• Like 2

Hm... Looks a bit like you are producing to a hard time target.
The start is similar to the podcasts with a long intro. [Which is actually not a bad as others, no 70+ minute intro talk about beer and cars. Yet. :) ] To the end pace gets a bit hectic and then seems to cut of. Did you ran out of material or got kicked out of the location? ;)
Lets see how show 2 turns out now that the preliminaries have been said.

Topics discussed
The dreaded race reports. Very short shelf life indeed. Yet this round with so much stuff getting pushed fast and directly to the fans I'd say they are more relevant than ever. Now if the VOR would add those to the tracker at the correct position so that it easy to make sense of them... That way you could easily ignore old ones, or replay them when interesting situations developed. If bandwidth was free I could see them become a staple product. It's not like they take much effort either. If they just had someone with a phone and 90 seconds for a raw social media post. ;) Leave the OBR for the big well produced version that tells a story.

Some - a lot! - of the content has been seen before. But not this edition, leg, day with sailor XYZ.
I think of it as stock photo & video production. Nothing to write home about per se but required none the less. Can't use the stuff form last year after all, wrong sponsors. That is not the most creative part of the OBR job, I think of it a bit as wedding photography. There are some things that just have to be done every single time. It does not matter how good and creative the rest is if standard items are missing or got fucked up there will be trouble. 

I loved this one from today:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/1584.html

I'm not usually a big fan of the OBR making themselves a character in the video, but I'll make an exception for Sam here. Getting the shot of himself barfing: That's a new standard of sports journalism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbc said:

I loved this one from today:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/1584.html

I'm not usually a big fan of the OBR making themselves a character in the video, but I'll make an exception for Sam here. Getting the shot of himself barfing: That's a new standard of sports journalism.

A bit of reality. Barfing and plastic urinal emptied into the cockpit.

mmm...me thinks this thread will be my go to thread every morning. Thanks Clean.  May also decrease my productivity at work. Like I need that like a hole in the head!!!

More fantastic drone work from Sam:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/1753.html

It's like he lies awake in his bunk thinking, "what's something they've never seen before that would look really cool?" And then he gets up and shoots it.

If Yann Riou were part of this edition it would be more of a contest. But as it stands, for my money, you can give Sam the OBR award right now.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:17 AM, jbc said:

This one was great too:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/1605.html

As soon as I saw them shifting the stack I thought, whoa; is Sam going to get a shot of them gybing in those conditions from the drone? And he did! (Mostly.) :-)

Perhaps the drone got shot down by batten fragments?

@jbc Replying to http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/194248-vor-leg-2-lisbon-to-cape-town/&do=findComment&comment=5996062

If you mean, linking to the page on the official site for that video (like, the URLs we share in comments in this forum), yeah, I'm working on adding those. Hope to have them added tomorrow, at least for most of the recent videos, and then for most of the new videos going forward.

I say "most of" because the metadata file at http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw.json that I'm trying to use to construct those links doesn't go back all the way to the oldest videos from the Raw Content page, and also has some odd omissions where specific videos that are there on the Raw Content page don't show up in the metadata file. I suspect that latter problem is due to some bug in the processing on VOR's side, but I don't actually know. I could just do what I'm doing already, and scrape their user-facing site some more to get the missing links, but scraping is such a pain and using their metadata file would be so much cleaner for all concerned that I'm inclined to keep trying to figure that out (maybe I can interest someone on the VOR side in the problem with the metadata file). But in the meantime I'll keep doing the scraping that I'm doing and then use the metadata file to add links (in the "Datetime" column, I'm thinking) that take you to the standalone VOR page for each video, at least for those videos that do appear in the metadata file.

The problem I was asking about is the searching of the VOR's Raw page for older videos, such as the earliest one linked in your spreadsheet. I couldn't, and was pretty sure it wasn't just my browser, but thought to ask if you'd seen the same problem.

The bigger problem, is that the VOR site is really difficult to search overall (not just for video), and has been since the 2012 edition.Context:  I had a bit of a nice email exchange @VOR webmaster a few years ago, and they were trying to set up their archives to be searchable. That hasn't happened. Still trying to find the best source for that great pic of Groupama crew sailing past the night skyline of Singapore :)  Even the VOR Notices page search function does't look inside the PDFs. Which doc says "hydrogens must be used 21 hours . . "? Good luck with that.  Workaround I use is to download all the PDFs into a single folder and use the OSX Spotlight to search within the docs. Even trying to spellcheck team member's names correctly, especially when they have accents is not easy to quickly find on the VOR site. More convenient i to use your other tabs in the spreadsheets: much appreciated for that bonus, but at the same time, ironic.

Your spreadsheet is a just what I'd hoped the VOR site should have. However, hate to think of the hours you must have seen becoming wasted and littered with dead link in the next round. I'm guessing, that even with the automated scraping every 15 minutes (IIRC) adding searchable text, keywords of names and topics, and all the other metadata must have taken upwards of 40+ hours at least. Thanks [genuine though seemingly hyperbolic appreciation goes here] . Can't see that level of contribution being sustainable. Already we see rows and columns a bit out of whack, the team member names and links to their social pages needing completion and too many hours for  updating.

In short, any ideas on what else the VOR site (and other racing sites) can and probably want to do to make our interest in racing easier to indulge? 

5 hours ago, stief said:

@jbc Replying to http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/194248-vor-leg-2-lisbon-to-cape-town/&do=findComment&comment=5996062

The problem I was asking about is the searching of the VOR's Raw page for older videos, such as the earliest one linked in your spreadsheet. I couldn't, and was pretty sure it wasn't just my browser, but thought to ask if you'd seen the same problem.

The bigger problem, is that the VOR site is really difficult to search overall (not just for video), and has been since the 2012 edition.Context:  I had a bit of a nice email exchange @VOR webmaster a few years ago, and they were trying to set up their archives to be searchable. That hasn't happened. Still trying to find the best source for that great pic of Groupama crew sailing past the night skyline of Singapore :)  Even the VOR Notices page search function does't look inside the PDFs. Which doc says "hydrogens must be used 21 hours . . "? Good luck with that.  Workaround I use is to download all the PDFs into a single folder and use the OSX Spotlight to search within the docs. Even trying to spellcheck team member's names correctly, especially when they have accents is not easy to quickly find on the VOR site. More convenient i to use your other tabs in the spreadsheets: much appreciated for that bonus, but at the same time, ironic.

Your spreadsheet is a just what I'd hoped the VOR site should have. However, hate to think of the hours you must have seen becoming wasted and littered with dead link in the next round. I'm guessing, that even with the automated scraping every 15 minutes (IIRC) adding searchable text, keywords of names and topics, and all the other metadata must have taken upwards of 40+ hours at least. Thanks [genuine though seemingly hyperbolic appreciation goes here] . Can't see that level of contribution being sustainable. Already we see rows and columns a bit out of whack, the team member names and links to their social pages needing completion and too many hours for  updating.

In short, any ideas on what else the VOR site (and other racing sites) can and probably want to do to make our interest in racing easier to indulge? 

Yeah, there's often a tension in web development between people (like me) who want to make as much information available as possible, and are okay with sacrificing some amount of graphical embellishment and polish and slick-looking interactivity in order to achieve it, and people who want to control the information more tightly and package it up and give it a snazzy presentation. On the spreadsheet, I'm doing my best to automate the basic updating as much as I can. The only thing I'm really investing my own time in at the moment is describing and tagging the videos, but I like watching those, and don't have a problem (at least so far) doing the describing and tagging as part of that. The other tabs on the spreadsheet are more ideas for things that might be interesting/useful, but I'm not spending much time on them at this point.

If the VOR media people move things around it will make things more difficult for me, but it's inherent in what I'm doing (which I've done without asking their permission or coordinating with them) that that could happen at any time. They might also ask me to stop doing it, which I'd almost certainly comply with; it's their content. But for now I'm enjoying doing it, and I like being able to search through the videos.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jbc said:

. . . and are okay with sacrificing some amount of graphical embellishment and polish and slick-looking interactivity in order to achieve it

Well put. The former 3D tracker is a good example of glamour vs utility, but that's a topic for another thread. Cheers. 

2 hours ago, stief said:

Well put. The former 3D tracker is a good example of glamour vs utility, but that's a topic for another thread. Cheers. 

I've now updated the spreadsheet so the "Datetime" column is a link to the VOR page showing that video. (That link is also available in a new column called "vor_url".) It doesn't go back to the beginning of the race, unfortunately, because I'm using the raw.json file on the VOR site to create the links, and that file's data currently only goes back to the evening of 2017-11-13. If anyone knows where I can get a more-complete version of that JSON metadata I'd be happy to add links to the older videos.

In all this playing around (and, admittedly, doing a lot of birdwatching) I've fallen behind on the describing and tagging. Getting caught up on that is my next goal.

• Like 1

Nice work--much appreciated. Trying to see how all those links and meta data might help the postings in the thread.

Calling Clean? Help? Can (or should) the forum software resolve these links like it does tweets, and youtube vids?

Three sample links:

https://volvooceanrace-2017-18.s3.amazonaws.com/videos/cropped/m107083_13-02-171118-ttt-00034_HD.mp4

19 hours ago, stief said:

Good example of a spreadsheet issue? (The 2708.html video linked above has no drone footage)

5a11dfacb1397_ScreenShot2017-11-19at1_29_27PM.png.8abafbdc5788bf7968db5c1f4a8a518a.png

Oops. I don't think that was as much a spreadsheet issue as a PEBKAC issue on my part. At least when I look at it now, the spreadsheet link for that video actually goes here:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/2598.html

I mis-copied the link when I made the post, grabbing the link from the video immediately below it instead of the one I wanted.

That said, I'm sure there are lots of mistakes in the spreadsheet itself in the stuff I'm entering manually (the People, Description, Tags, and Other Boats columns). I'm entering that stuff quickly without benefit of a copyeditor or proofreader. If you notice anything feel free to leave a comment in the spreadsheet (or in here) and I'll fix it.

• Like 1

Ah. Thanks for the explanation. Have had issues with the preview  in the spreadsheet not updating when scrolling, but that's a screen refresh problem at my end. 

Tested the comment. Worked, and then marked as 'resolve and hide". Nice.

• Downvote 1

I mentioned it in the leg 2 thread, but one of my favorite recurring storylines in the leg was David Witt's coming to grips with the level of the competition: Educating Witty

That and everything Sam did on TTToP. And the general level of badassery with the drones. And the Pascal-triple-f-bomb video (which, for reasons as yet unexplained, didn't appear on the Raw Content page -- maybe that content was a little *too* raw for race management).

• Like 1

Yet raw enough to be used in the live, uncensored too.

Good work on the meta meta data page. Would be easier to redundant if VOR just stuck the clips into the image databank system (broadcast room is too cut down). Oh, and of course if OBR would descirbe and tag more consistently. So do, some don't.

My top video this leg was the DF shore media version of the Jeremie interview. Shows that there is so much more to the story than what happens on the boat at the time.

• Like 1

It was fun talking to Clean for the "phone a fan" segment. You won't be surprised that I talked way too long and had to be heavily edited. :-)

Because I've mostly only watched the Raw Content videos I missed wherever it was that Jen Edney's injury on Leg 3 was talked about (other than in the interview in The Boatfeed episode 3). Was there any information about that somewhere else?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jbc said:

It was fun talking to Clean for the "phone a fan" segment. You won't be surprised that I talked way too long and had to be heavily edited. :-)

You're a star JBC

Brill add on to the race Clean and Matt.

You have to go to Auckland Clean. If the Volvo peeps hide from you you could always go do some digging around on the AC venues or go undercover at team NZ...

Best start working on the disguise now.......