Sign in to follow this  
Sailing My Cubicle

Cape Town over Christmas

My wife and I are honeymooning in South Africa over Christmas and New Years. We arrive in Cape Town on Christmas Day around noon and leave for safari on the 29th.  Would love any South African SAer (SASAer?) advice on great ways to spend the Christmas Holiday while we're in town.  In the U.S., except for Movie Theaters and Chinese restaurants, pretty much everything is closed on the 25th.  

Any thoughts on where we could get a decent Christmas Dinner? 

Best,

SMC

It’s summer here, most of us have a meal with family and friends often based around a braai outside. Personally I prefer a cold meal and a sail on the 25th....followed by a few beers and some good local wine. 

Which game park are you going to?

27 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

It’s summer here, most of us have a meal with family and friends often based around a braai outside. Personally I prefer a cold meal and a sail on the 25th....followed by a few beers and some good local wine. 

had to look up braii...so y'al like to barbeque on christmas.  ;>)

2 hours ago, Major Tom said:

We'll be in Sabi Sands.  Very excited.

19 hours ago, Sailing My Cubicle said:

My wife and I are honeymooning in South Africa over Christmas and New Years. We arrive in Cape Town on Christmas Day around noon and leave for safari on the 29th.  Would love any South African SAer (SASAer?) advice on great ways to spend the Christmas Holiday while we're in town.  In the U.S., except for Movie Theaters and Chinese restaurants, pretty much everything is closed on the 25th.  

Any thoughts on where we could get a decent Christmas Dinner? 

Best,

SMC

We went to SA in 2004 for 15 days, same time of year. Last 4 in and around CapeTown. 3 days in Kruger, did Western Cape Wine region, Mossel Bay, and more. Best vacation ever for a 100 different reasons. We went with SA natives that emigrated to US in early 90's.   Make sure and go up the cable car to Table Mountain the first clear day that you have, being in CT and not doing Table Mountain is a crime.  The top can be clouded over with no visibility regardless of the weather in city itself.  Visibility at the top depends on the weather further north on the plateau and can change quickly. No trip to CT is complete without seeing the view from Table Mountain. Pack a nice lunch, make a day of it. Worth it 100X over. Rotating glass wall gondolas that hold 60 or so people, and the view literally goes out forever. I have forgotten exactly how far away the horizon is from the top, but you are a mile up, looking down at the whole city and sea around it.

Clifton Beaches - small, impossibly awesome beaches very close to downtown, 4 of them in a row, separated by ridges and rocks. Each one has a very different character. Water very cold, if you actually swim it won't be for long and you are behind a shark net. There is a gay beach, a teen beach, a family beach, and a dog beach.  Topless sunbathers are common at all of them. Lots of laid back local places to eat and drink. Whatever floats your boat is available, all close together and just around the corner is different. 

Camps Bay beach. lots of great food and fancier. another awesome beach. Toss up whether Clifton or Camps Bay is better, will depend on what you want in a beach.

Victoria and Alfred Wharf is an awesome shopping, dining, and entertainment waterfront area. We spent the day.

Robbin Island, where Mandela was imprisoned is a sobering and impactful excursion. 

Royal Cape Yacht Club was a great place.  We had the run of the place and were welcomed with great hospitality.  They instantly accepted our request for reciprocity. We got invites for sailing, and braai's, and were made very welcome. 

Would go back to SA in a heartbeat, but too many other places we haven't been to retrace our steps.  Australia is next on my personal bucket list. 

Have fun and congrats!

On 11/17/2017 at 11:05 AM, islanderboy32 said:

We went to SA in 2004 for 15 days, same time of year. Last 4 in and around CapeTown. 3 days in Kruger, did Western Cape Wine region, Mossel Bay, and more. Best vacation ever for a 100 different reasons. We went with SA natives that emigrated to US in early 90's.   Make sure and go up the cable car to Table Mountain the first clear day that you have, being in CT and not doing Table Mountain is a crime.  The top can be clouded over with no visibility regardless of the weather in city itself.  Visibility at the top depends on the weather further north on the plateau and can change quickly. No trip to CT is complete without seeing the view from Table Mountain. Pack a nice lunch, make a day of it. Worth it 100X over. Rotating glass wall gondolas that hold 60 or so people, and the view literally goes out forever. I have forgotten exactly how far away the horizon is from the top, but you are a mile up, looking down at the whole city and sea around it.

Clifton Beaches - small, impossibly awesome beaches very close to downtown, 4 of them in a row, separated by ridges and rocks. Each one has a very different character. Water very cold, if you actually swim it won't be for long and you are behind a shark net. There is a gay beach, a teen beach, a family beach, and a dog beach.  Topless sunbathers are common at all of them. Lots of laid back local places to eat and drink. Whatever floats your boat is available, all close together and just around the corner is different. 

Camps Bay beach. lots of great food and fancier. another awesome beach. Toss up whether Clifton or Camps Bay is better, will depend on what you want in a beach.

Victoria and Alfred Wharf is an awesome shopping, dining, and entertainment waterfront area. We spent the day.

Robbin Island, where Mandela was imprisoned is a sobering and impactful excursion. 

Royal Cape Yacht Club was a great place.  We had the run of the place and were welcomed with great hospitality.  They instantly accepted our request for reciprocity. We got invites for sailing, and braai's, and were made very welcome. 

Would go back to SA in a heartbeat, but too many other places we haven't been to retrace our steps.  Australia is next on my personal bucket list. 

Have fun and congrats!

Thanks, great tips!  We'll be there in two weeks!

Sorry I'll miss you, I'm heading to PVD for Christmas, briefly, then off to Taos.

17 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Sorry I'll miss you, I'm heading to PVD for Christmas, briefly, then off to Taos.

what's the base there now?   I was there years back, started snowing on monday, was still snowing thursday when I left..   I was skiing in chest deep powder...

Not much now. Very thin, but I have a home there and a season pass. Need to get in shape for a Heli trip in the Kootenays in February.

If the skiing sucks we'll hike, snowshoe, bike, fly fish.

Why not do something to share with your less-fortunate fellow man?

Take a Christmas walk a few streets away from the main tourist areas, and donate your wallet, watch, rings and shoes to some poor soul with a knife. Wish 'em a good Christmas and you might not get stabbed.

I grew up in Cape Town. A very beautiful place, with a lot of very poor people angry at whiteys.

On 12/10/2017 at 8:28 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

I'll be working in the PVD office on the 21st...not sure if we're having a team lunch but if you're in town that day - maybe can put a face to the name.

How is the Cape Town holiday going so far? Hope you are managing to avoid the wind! At least it’s warm.